FUN is never having to say you're SUSHI!!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will be “less than a cup of coffee”

SubjectAuthor
* Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will beswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Price of using Leeds’Spike
+* Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will bswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Price of using Leeds’Spike
+* Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will bswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Price of using Leeds’Spike
`- Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will bswldx...@gmail.com

1
Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will be “less than a cup of coffee”

<b2c93a10-b263-4223-a1a6-22b31f966a52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29546&group=uk.rec.cycling#29546

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:03:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Price_of_using_Leeds’_new_e-bike_scheme_will_be_
“less_than_a_cup_of_coffee”
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 18:03 UTC

Around 300 electric bikes will be made available to hire at docking stations across the city from September, with a further 350 or so to follow in the months after.

The system will be run by Beryl Bikes, who already operate similar schemes elsewhere across the country, after they were awarded a contract by Leeds City Council.

Although exact prices have not been confirmed, both Beryl Bikes and the council said they wanted hiring an e-bike to be affordable and accessible.

There will be special cheaper offers made available to certain groups too, including jobseekers.

Speaking at a press launch for the scheme on Monday, Beryl Bikes’ CEO and co-founder Phil Ellis said: “We’re very excited about launching this scheme in Leeds.

“We know e-bikes are a really powerful tool to get people cycling, especially those who haven’t cycled in years or have never cycled. We’re looking forward to getting it going and seeing more people make more journeys.

“The exact details of the pricing structure are yet to be agreed, but it will be affordable – less than a cup of coffee for a journey – and we’ll be doing membership schemes as well.”

Mr Ellis said he understood the reluctance of some people to take up cycling on safety grounds.

But he said the fact the bikes are electric and equipped with modern safety features meant they are “a very good bike for a nervous new cyclist to ride.”

David Miller, from the Leeds Cycling Campaign, welcomed the launch of the system, saying it was “not before time”.

He said: “We’ve needed an e-bike scheme in this city for a long time.

“To get people more actively moving around rather than sitting in their cars, especially now the city centre is becoming more cut off for cars, is a good thing.”

The mayor of West Yorkshire, Tracy Brabin, said she also hoped the system would appeal to new cyclists.

She said: “I love cycling but our topography in West Yorkshire is sometimes challenging, so to have that extra support that an e-bike gives is fantastic. It’s so much fun as well and I think it’s going to be a big moment for Leeds.

“I hope it will be a success and that we can then roll it out across the rest of West Yorkshire.”

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/transport/price-of-using-leeds-new-e-bike-scheme-will-be-less-than-a-cup-of-coffee-4170632

Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will be “less than a cup of coffee”

<kef06oF3v9dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29561&group=uk.rec.cycling#29561

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Price of using Leeds’
Date: 8 Jun 2023 21:40:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 21:40 UTC

The price of a bicycle hire might be less than that of a cup of coffee, but
what is the cost?

Since Manchester published figures for its own bike-hire scheme, little has
been mentioned about it since it emerged that for the first 100,000km, the
cost (not the price) per 1.6 mile journey was £436.

It would have been cheaper to provide stretch limos.

--
Spike

Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will be “less than a cup of coffee”

<82772ad9-6655-4c5d-bef7-af73bae9cdb9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29567&group=uk.rec.cycling#29567

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 01:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Price_of_using_Leeds’_new_e-bike_scheme_will_b
e_“less_than_a_cup_of_coffee”
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 08:32 UTC

QUOTE: “To get people more actively moving around rather than sitting in their cars, especially now the city centre is becoming more cut off for cars, is a good thing.” ENDS

Those LTNs are working -- so get used to them.

Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will b e “less than a cup of coffee”

<kegem8FakvvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29575&group=uk.rec.cycling#29575

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 9 Jun 2023 10:54:00 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 10:54 UTC

> QUOTE: “To get people more actively moving around rather than sitting in
> their cars, especially now the city centre is becoming more cut off for
> cars, is a good thing.” ENDS
>
> Those LTNs are working -- so get used to them.

LTNs are ‘working’, for some very limited meanings of the word.

Perhaps it’s time to form a ‘Just Stop LTNs’ or an LTN Rebellion?

--
Spike

Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will be “less than a cup of coffee”

<a5e797c5-2e83-40bd-8d67-8793f10859ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29580&group=uk.rec.cycling#29580

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 06:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
e_“less_than_a_cup_of_coffee”
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 13:54 UTC

QUOTE: “To get people more actively moving around rather than sitting in their cars. ENDS

You can thank the cyclists later.

Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will b e “less than a cup of coffee”

<kegs7pFcl9iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29587&group=uk.rec.cycling#29587

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 9 Jun 2023 14:45:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 14:45 UTC

> QUOTE: “To get people more actively moving around rather than sitting in their cars. ENDS
>
> You can thank the cyclists later.
Examining the data tells us that per head of the population, the Dutch die
of the same major diseases at the same rate as the Brits, despite all the
hype about the touted health claims of cycling.

So why stop people sitting in their cars? If people want to fart about on
bicycles, that’s up to them, but don’t lie about the health benefits.

--
Spike

Re: Price of using Leeds’ new e-bike scheme will be “less than a cup of coffee”

<d36d1e2d-27f4-424a-a5ba-4a07c9a30ef7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29593&group=uk.rec.cycling#29593

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 08:44:27 -0700 (PDT)
e_“less_than_a_cup_of_coffee”
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:44 UTC

QUOTE:
“To get people more actively moving around rather than sitting in their cars. ENDS

I prefer to see them stuck in stationary traffic - let them stew in their own fumes.