What's so funny?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

SubjectAuthor
* Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protestsswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protestsMike Collins
 +* Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protestsswldx...@gmail.com
 |+* Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protestsswldx...@gmail.com
 ||`- Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protestsswldx...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protestsJNugent
 `- Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protestsJNugent

1
Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<736ce458-6589-42a6-a04b-31fb86b1d1c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29594&group=uk.rec.cycling#29594

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 08:46:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:46 UTC

Just Stop Oil has staged its first ‘slow cycle’ through London today, as part of the group’s plans to “evolve” its tactics in the face of what it claims is the government’s attempt to “restrict our legitimate rights to protest”.

The environmentalist group has staged slow marches on the streets of London for the last seven weeks in a bid to draw attention to their demand that the British government puts a stop to “all licences and consents for new oil, gas, and coal projects”.

Until now, all of these protests have been on foot, but this morning at 8am, nine Just Stop Oil activists slowly rode their bikes in London’s West End, as two other groups of supporters marched at Chiswick roundabout and Blackheath.

An hour and a half after the demonstration began on Park Lane, the Metropolitan Police tweeted that they had issued the group with a section 12 order for causing disruption to traffic, and moved the protesting cyclists onto the pavement.

The decision to usher the bike riding activists off the road and onto the footpath, however, provoked a bemused response on Twitter.

“The same pavement where it’s illegal to cycle by any chance?” wrote one user. “Hi Essex Police, remember when you told me I’d be fined if caught cycling on the pavement in Wickford to avoid getting killed by lorries? I’m taking a leaf out of the Met’s book and using the pavement from now on.”

A spokesperson from Just Stop Oil told road.cc today that the move to riding bikes slowly across the road is a response to the government’s attempts to clamp down on the disruption caused by the marching activists in recent weeks.

“This criminal government is quietly signing off on over 100 new oil and gas projects that will hasten climate collapse and destroy the conditions that make human life possible. It is an act of war against the young and millions of people in the global south,” the spokesperson said.

“At the same time, they are enacting laws to ensure that no-one can stop them. They are restricting our legitimate rights to protest and to march in the road as people have done throughout history to express dissent. So, our tactics will continue to evolve.

“We are happy to show solidarity with cyclists everywhere and ask them to join us in civil resistance. Whether marching or cycling we will continue to do whatever is non-violently possible to end new oil and gas.”

The call for cyclists to join Just Stop Oil’s campaign of civil resistance comes just over a week after a man on a bike made headlines for confronting the protesters during a slow march and claiming that they were “harming the green cause”.

The cyclist approached the activists as they slowly walked down Holloway Road in north London, blocking traffic, as part of a series of Bank Holiday demonstrations. The rider – who pointed out to the protesters that he was “a liberal and a cyclist” – told them: “Everyone is just trying to go about their business, go about their day, and you are f***ing it all up for all of them.

“You might feel better about yourselves, but all you are doing is harming the cause because everyone hates you. I’m a liberal, and a cyclist, and I live in north London – and I hate you.”

https://road.cc/content/news/just-stop-oil-begin-slow-cycling-protests-301791

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<01dcf37f-3416-4266-95a7-9c3272162968n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29600&group=uk.rec.cycling#29600

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:44:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 18:44 UTC

On Friday, 9 June 2023 at 16:46:29 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> The call for cyclists to join Just Stop Oil’s campaign of civil resistance comes just over a week after a man on a bike made headlines for confronting the protesters during a slow march and claiming that they were “harming the green cause”.
>
> The cyclist approached the activists as they slowly walked down Holloway Road in north London, blocking traffic, as part of a series of Bank Holiday demonstrations. The rider – who pointed out to the protesters that he was “a liberal and a cyclist” – told them: “Everyone is just trying to go about their business, go about their day, and you are f***ing it all up for all of them.
>
> “You might feel better about yourselves, but all you are doing is harming the cause because everyone hates you. I’m a liberal, and a cyclist, and I live in north London – and I hate you.”

As a cyclist I want nothing to do with these attention seeking loons.
Let's face it, all they want is attention and they suffer from bandwagonitis.
Just ignore them, let them have their silly protests and they will get bored.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<2df90533-1441-4cf8-a4bc-c0444d2214abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29606&group=uk.rec.cycling#29606

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 12:19:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 19:19 UTC

> [...]
>
> The call for cyclists to join Just Stop Oil’s campaign of civil resistance comes just over a week after a man on a bike made headlines for confronting the protesters during a slow march and claiming that they were “harming the green cause”.
>
> The cyclist approached the activists as they slowly walked down Holloway Road in north London, blocking traffic, as part of a series of Bank Holiday demonstrations. The rider – who pointed out to the protesters that he was “a liberal and a cyclist” – told them: “Everyone is just trying to go about their business, go about their day, and you are f***ing it all up for all of them.
>
> “You might feel better about yourselves, but all you are doing is harming the cause because everyone hates you. I’m a liberal, and a cyclist, and I live in north London – and I hate you.”

The best way to deal with these loons is for the Police to handcuff them in a circle, direct traffic away and leave them.
Motorists sounding horns and trying to remove them is exactly what these temper tantrum throwing, attention seeking children want.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<u6210n$2as97$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29618&group=uk.rec.cycling#29618

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:23:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8zarFxZcPKKFEGj0AQ1thVm0cHg=
 by: Brian - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 14:23 UTC

Mike Collins <cmike8828@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> for confronting the protesters during a slow march and claiming that
>> they were “harming the green cause”.
>>
>> The cyclist approached the activists as they slowly walked down Holloway
>> Road in north London, blocking traffic, as part of a series of Bank Holiday
>> demonstrations. The rider – who pointed out to the protesters that he
>> was “a liberal and a cyclist” – told them: “Everyone is just trying to
>> go about their business, go about their day, and you are f***ing it all
>> up for all of them.
>>
>> “You might feel better about yourselves, but all you are doing is
>> harming the cause because everyone hates you. I’m a liberal, and a
>> cyclist, and I live in north London – and I hate you.”
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/just-stop-oil-begin-slow-cycling-protests-301791
>
> As a cyclist I want nothing to do with these attention seeking loons.

A hypocritical view given most cyclists are ‘attention seeking loons’.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<93fb152c-0ebb-456b-8213-c059a04e6c21n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29621&group=uk.rec.cycling#29621

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 08:33:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 15:33 UTC

On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 8:19:04 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> The best way to deal with these loons is for the Police to handcuff them in a circle, direct traffic away and leave them.
> Motorists sounding horns and trying to remove them is exactly what these temper tantrum throwing, attention seeking children want.

Whereas the Tory gestapo want to snuff out all peaceful protests.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<kejot0Fq49lU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29629&group=uk.rec.cycling#29629

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:07:07 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 17:07 UTC

On 09/06/2023 19:44, Mike Collins wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> “You might feel better about yourselves, but all you are doing is harming the cause because everyone hates you. I’m a liberal, and a cyclist, and I live in north London – and I hate you.”
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/just-stop-oil-begin-slow-cycling-protests-301791
>
> As a cyclist I want nothing to do with these attention seeking loons.
> Let's face it, all they want is attention and they suffer from bandwagonitis.
> Just ignore them, let them have their silly protests and they will get bored.

Well said.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<kejp19Fq49lU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29630&group=uk.rec.cycling#29630

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:09:24 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 17:09 UTC

On 09/06/2023 20:19, Mike Collins wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> “You might feel better about yourselves, but all you are doing is harming the cause because everyone hates you. I’m a liberal, and a cyclist, and I live in north London – and I hate you.”
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/just-stop-oil-begin-slow-cycling-protests-301791
>
> The best way to deal with these loons is for the Police to handcuff them in a circle, direct traffic away and leave them.
> Motorists sounding horns and trying to remove them is exactly what these temper tantrum throwing, attention seeking children want.

Kettling.

It works. They don't like it up 'em.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<68336b88-cb0d-4d27-bf04-98917e83c62en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29632&group=uk.rec.cycling#29632

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:11:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 17:11 UTC

On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 4:33:50 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 8:19:04 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
> > The best way to deal with these loons is for the Police to handcuff them in a circle, direct traffic away and leave them.
> > Motorists sounding horns and trying to remove them is exactly what these temper tantrum throwing, attention seeking children want.
> Whereas the Tory gestapo want to snuff out all peaceful protests.

They arrested a van load of anti king placards.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<428f18f1-8bfd-4066-9c15-43bf6d1de06cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29635&group=uk.rec.cycling#29635

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 17:39 UTC

On Saturday, 10 June 2023 at 15:23:22 UTC+1, Brian wrote:
> [...]
> >> they were “harming the green cause”.
> >>
> >> The cyclist approached the activists as they slowly walked down Holloway
> >> Road in north London, blocking traffic, as part of a series of Bank Holiday
> >> demonstrations. The rider – who pointed out to the protesters that he
> >> was “a liberal and a cyclist” – told them: “Everyone is just trying to
> >> go about their business, go about their day, and you are f***ing it all
> >> up for all of them.
> >>
> >> “You might feel better about yourselves, but all you are doing is
> >> harming the cause because everyone hates you. I’m a liberal, and a
> >> cyclist, and I live in north London – and I hate you.”
> >>
> >> https://road.cc/content/news/just-stop-oil-begin-slow-cycling-protests-301791
> >
> > As a cyclist I want nothing to do with these attention seeking loons.
> >
> A hypocritical view given most cyclists are ‘attention seeking loons’.

How?
I choose to make some journeys on my pedal cycle, some in my car. I do not judge others for their chosen form of transport yet you judge me for my choices.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<kejs28Fqlo2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29640&group=uk.rec.cycling#29640

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 19:01:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:01 UTC

On 10/06/2023 16:33, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 8:19:04 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
>> The best way to deal with these loons is for the Police to handcuff them in a circle, direct traffic away and leave them.
>> Motorists sounding horns and trying to remove them is exactly what these temper tantrum throwing, attention seeking children want.
>
> Whereas the Tory gestapo want to snuff out all peaceful protests.

What Mad Mason doesn't understand is that committing crimes is not
"protest".

One protests by writing a stiff letter to The Guardian.

Most people want criminals punished.

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<758fc8bc-5e9e-44ff-bea7-1a07ebca5d03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29643&group=uk.rec.cycling#29643

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 11:08:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:08 UTC

On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 6:11:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 4:33:50 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 8:19:04 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> >
> > > The best way to deal with these loons is for the Police to handcuff them in a circle, direct traffic away and leave them.
> > > Motorists sounding horns and trying to remove them is exactly what these temper tantrum throwing, attention seeking children want.
> > Whereas the Tory gestapo want to snuff out all peaceful protests.
> They arrested a van load of anti king placards.

There's no knowing how much damage these could cause.
PIGS.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FyR8S7GXoAY58yV?format=jpg&name=small

Re: Just Stop Oil begin slow cycling protests

<kejt22Ffc4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29644&group=uk.rec.cycling#29644

From: bernie.usenet@gmail.com (Bernie)