From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Seen just now on Farcebwk.
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:12:07 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:12 UTC

When Royal Air Force pilots discovered chocolate-coated marshmallow
teacakes expanded at high altitudes, they became “the subject of some
rather unscientific in-flight experiments” in the 1950s.

Air crews removed their silver foil packaging and perched them around
the cabin for observation: The marshmallows swelled as pressure changed.
Eventually, they became too big to eat in one bite. ⁠

Many noted that, despite the extreme physical effects, the expansion
didn’t compromise the taste. ⁠

But the expanding teacakes’ fame was short-lived. After a period of
marshmallow fever aboard the V-Bombers departing from Gaydon air base,
an explosion put a stop to the fun. ⁠

During the summer of 1965, a captain and student pilot forgot they had
placed unwrapped teacakes above their instrument panels. When the
captain pulled an emergency depressurizing switch during a training
mission, the treats erupted. ⁠

Shards of chocolate and marshmallow hit the windshield, flight controls,
and the mens’ uniforms. Shortly thereafter, the RAF put marshmallows on
their no-fly list.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Seen just now on Farcebwk.

<v14mni1kj4f4rkdsa9bg7mb9bkbaq0ksql@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29672&group=uk.rec.sheds#29672

From: prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Seen just now on Farcebwk.
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:26:18 +0100
 by: Thomas Prufer - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 14:26 UTC

On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:12:07 +0000, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>When Royal Air Force pilots discovered chocolate-coated marshmallow
>teacakes expanded at high altitudes, they became “the subject of some
>rather unscientific in-flight experiments” in the 1950s.
>?
>Air crews removed their silver foil packaging and perched them around
>the cabin for observation: The marshmallows swelled as pressure changed.
>Eventually, they became too big to eat in one bite. ?
>?
>Many noted that, despite the extreme physical effects, the expansion
>didn’t compromise the taste. ?
>?
>But the expanding teacakes’ fame was short-lived. After a period of
>marshmallow fever aboard the V-Bombers departing from Gaydon air base,
>an explosion put a stop to the fun. ?
>?
>During the summer of 1965, a captain and student pilot forgot they had
>placed unwrapped teacakes above their instrument panels. When the
>captain pulled an emergency depressurizing switch during a training
>mission, the treats erupted. ?
>?
>Shards of chocolate and marshmallow hit the windshield, flight controls,
>and the mens’ uniforms. Shortly thereafter, the RAF put marshmallows on
>their no-fly list.

It's not necessarily reversible:

https://youtu.be/8PV9nnvY7WE

(Marshmallows in a vacuum expand, but get smaller than originally on
repressurization.)

Thomas Prufer

Re: Seen just now on Farcebwk.

<31YeN.240693$MwE9.82452@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29712&group=uk.rec.sheds#29712

From: lalaw44@hotmail.com (Another John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:55:27 GMT
 by: Another John - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:55 UTC

On 14 Dec 2023 at 14:26:18 GMT, "Thomas Prufer"
<prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:12:07 +0000, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> When Royal Air Force pilots discovered chocolate-coated marshmallow
>> teacakes expanded at high altitudes, they became “the subject of some
>> rather unscientific in-flight experiments” in the 1950s.
>> ?
>> Air crews removed their silver foil packaging and perched them around
>> the cabin for observation: The marshmallows swelled as pressure changed.
>> Eventually, they became too big to eat in one bite. ?
>> ?
>> Many noted that, despite the extreme physical effects, the expansion
>> didn’t compromise the taste. ?
>> ?
>> But the expanding teacakes’ fame was short-lived. After a period of
>> marshmallow fever aboard the V-Bombers departing from Gaydon air base,
>> an explosion put a stop to the fun. ?
>> ?
>> During the summer of 1965, a captain and student pilot forgot they had
>> placed unwrapped teacakes above their instrument panels. When the
>> captain pulled an emergency depressurizing switch during a training
>> mission, the treats erupted. ?
>> ?
>> Shards of chocolate and marshmallow hit the windshield, flight controls,
>> and the mens’ uniforms. Shortly thereafter, the RAF put marshmallows on
>> their no-fly list.
>

> It's not necessarily reversible:
>
> https://youtu.be/8PV9nnvY7WE
>
> (Marshmallows in a vacuum expand, but get smaller than originally on
> repressurization.)
>

> Thomas Prufer

That's a very important discovery made by our scientfic friends, Thomas!
Thanks for sharing! :-D
John