Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Birmingham vigil near spot where cyclist killed watches on as drivers
blatantly jump red lights
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 10:36 UTC

A sombre line of campaigners held up placards and stood in silence at a vigil close to the spot on one of Birmingham's busiest roads where a young father was killed - one of three cyclists to die on city roads in three weeks.

But even as the 50 or so campaigners stood by the roadside, some drivers blatantly jumped red lights, switched lanes at the last minute or were speeding - all actions that contribute to the horrific risks facing cyclists and pedestrians, said angry activists. The vigil, organised by Better Streets for Birmingham, aimed to highlight the thoughtless and potentially deadly actions of motorists behind the wheel.

It was close to the spot on Belgrave Middleway where Hussien Nur Teklise died after a crash on May 16. He was hit by a motorist who failed to stop. Two other cyclists have also died on city roads since. A cyclist was killed on Chester Road at its junction with Gravelly Lane in Erdington on May 31, in a second alleged hit-and-run. A man has since been arrested and released on bail.

And tragically a 12 year old cyclist died after being hit by a car on the A45 Coventry Road near Kings Road on June 8. A motorist involved was arrested and bailed. Flowers and touching tributes have been left to the young victim.

Mat MacDonald, for Better Streets for Birmingham, whose group organised the event, said: "In the hour we were there, we witnessed speeding, red light jumping, cars with illegal vehicle modifications and some incredibly anti-social driving. This type of behaviour can kill."

In a speech to those who gathered, Mr MacDonald said it was time for action.. "The dreadful events of the past weeks needs to mark a line in the sand. Everybody must work together to tackle dangerous driving and quickly deliver safe alternatives for people walking, wheeling and scooting."

Attendees included Birmingham City Council's cabinet member for transport Cllr Liz Clements, who vowed to do more. "Standing by the side of Belgrave Middleway watching the traffic and driving behaviours for an hour was a very alarming experience. We need massive cultural change."

She vowed: "The council is rewriting its road safety strategy (drawn up in 2016) because we know we need a different approach. And our Birmingham Transport Plan is all about making streets for people and overturning the dominance of the car."

Laurence Braithwaite, among those attending, said: "The section of road we were stood by is still, in the minds of a minority of motorists, a 'Superprix'. A road where traffic lights and cyclists are impediments. The days of auto-supremacy are coming to an end and today's event was a line in the sand."

Cllr Izzy Knowles (Lib Dem, Moseley) who also attended said: "Strong message from Better Streets for Birmingham in their campaign for zero deaths and serious injuries on our roads. No driver sets out to cause injury to others but with too much complacency, too much inattention to driving conditions and too much distraction that is exactly what happens."

Paul Manzotti added: "Fantastic protest and vigil in honour of those killed on our roads in the last month. I know we're not going to change the city overnight. But I know it'll never change if we don't try."

Better Streets for Birmingham have written to West Midlands Police and the city council pressing for urgent action, including more enforcement and a more rapid delivery of funded road schemes.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-vigil-near-spot-cyclist-27098877