From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH
TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 03:01:17 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 11:01 UTC

Joe Root’s latest Bazball shot is the stupidest in English Test cricket
history

Every run India score in their second innings will be a torment to Root,
because he knows that he should still be batting

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/02/17/joe-root-bazball-shot-england-india-third-test-bumrah/

It has to rank - and "rank" is the operative word - as the worst, most
stupid, shot in the history of England's Test cricket. ...

Re: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry

<Z1E4BeCWyP0lFw+8@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29849&group=uk.sport.cricket#29849

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:36:06 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:36 UTC

In message <uqq3lt$cbeg$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes

>Joe Root’s latest Bazball shot is the stupidest in English Test
>cricket history
>
>Every run India score in their second innings will be a torment to
>Root, because he knows that he should still be batting
>
>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/02/17/joe-root-bazball-shot-eng
>land-india-third-test-bumrah/
>

>It has to rank - and "rank" is the operative word - as the worst, most
>stupid, shot in the history of England's Test cricket. ...

There is some very stiff competition for that title, but it's certainly
well up there.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry

<82n3ti5leqoevui6283gng71188633henk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29853&group=uk.sport.cricket#29853

From: newsunspammelaws@iinet.unspamme.net.au (Mad Hamish)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:31:10 +1100
 by: Mad Hamish - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 10:31 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 03:01:17 -0800, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> wrote:

>Joe Root’s latest Bazball shot is the stupidest in English Test cricket
>history
>
>Every run India score in their second innings will be a torment to Root,
>because he knows that he should still be batting
>
>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/02/17/joe-root-bazball-shot-england-india-third-test-bumrah/
>

>It has to rank - and "rank" is the operative word - as the worst, most
>stupid, shot in the history of England's Test cricket. ...

Dunno, the number of people out lbw sweeping and missing balls on the
stumps surely has to be challenging it for dumbest shot of the match,
never mind history

Re: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry

<da28855a-47fc-47e2-8f34-bb83b95adf8b@america.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29854&group=uk.sport.cricket#29854

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF
ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 03:22:30 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:22 UTC

On 2/18/2024 2:31 AM, Mad Hamish wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 03:01:17 -0800, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> wrote:
>

>> Joe Root’s latest Bazball shot is the stupidest in English Test cricket
>> history
>>
>> Every run India score in their second innings will be a torment to Root,
>> because he knows that he should still be batting
>>
>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/02/17/joe-root-bazball-shot-england-india-third-test-bumrah/
>>

>> It has to rank - and "rank" is the operative word - as the worst, most
>> stupid, shot in the history of England's Test cricket. ...
>
> Dunno, the number of people out lbw sweeping and missing balls on the
> stumps surely has to be challenging it for dumbest shot of the match,
> never mind history

Sweeping and missing balls on stumps and getting out LBW can be
attributed to incompetency or lack of skill rather than worst or stupid
shots I guess.

Re: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry

<tbMzypBoij0lFw6z@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29861&group=uk.sport.cricket#29861

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:04:40 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:04 UTC

In message <82n3ti5leqoevui6283gng71188633henk@4ax.com>, Mad Hamish
<newsunspammelaws@iinet.unspamme.net.au> writes
>On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 03:01:17 -0800, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
><FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> wrote:
>

>>Joe Root’s latest Bazball shot is the stupidest in English Test cricket
>>history
>>
>>Every run India score in their second innings will be a torment to Root,
>>because he knows that he should still be batting
>>
>>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/02/17/joe-root-bazball-shot-en
>>gland-india-third-test-bumrah/
>>

>>It has to rank - and "rank" is the operative word - as the worst, most
>>stupid, shot in the history of England's Test cricket. ...
>
>Dunno, the number of people out lbw sweeping and missing balls on the
>stumps surely has to be challenging it for dumbest shot of the match,
>never mind history

It's OK to sweep (or reverse sweep) balls on the stumps in the first
innings, when the bounce is still pretty predictable, not such a good
idea in the second innings.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry

<85c1c2b3-3bf7-48cc-89a3-acd3deea8c12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29862&group=uk.sport.cricket#29862

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 09:34:38 -0800 (PST)
ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry
From: jzfredricks@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:34 UTC

On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 3:11:17 AM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> It's OK to sweep (or reverse sweep) balls on the stumps in the first
> innings, when the bounce is still pretty predictable,

Sure, so long as you have been in long enough to know what the bounce is actually doing. Reverse Sweeping your 3rd delivery is batting suicide. (I'm not accusing anyone of doing this).

Re: Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry

<1tKVf0CzNl0lFw6E@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29864&group=uk.sport.cricket#29864

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:58:59 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:58 UTC

In message <85c1c2b3-3bf7-48cc-89a3-acd3deea8c12n@googlegroups.com>,
jack fredricks <jzfredricks@gmail.com> writes
>On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 3:11:170 >> It's OK to sweep (or reverse sweep) balls on the stumps in the first
>> innings, when the bounce is still pretty predictable,
>
>Sure, so long as you have been in long enough to know what the bounce
>is actually doing. Reverse Sweeping your 3rd delivery is batting
>suicide. (I'm not accusing anyone of doing this).

Absolutely.