Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 10:36:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Locals say there's just one problem with new cyclist-friendly cattle
grids - they don't stop cows!
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 17:36 UTC

Cambridge locals have hit out at new cattle grids that were installed to improve the city's cycling routes - after pointing out they don't stop cows.

The cycle-friendly cattle grids were put in place on footpaths and cycle routes throughout the university city by Cambridgeshire City Council.

But residents have slated the council for wasting 'taxpayers' money' after claiming the cattle grids don't do the one job they were designed to do.

Cows have been spotted roaming on footpaths surrounding the the city after they worked out ways to avoid stepping on the cycle-friendly grids.

Now, an underpass running alongside the River Cam has now been closed off to prevent more cows escaping.

The grids have been fitted at a number of points around the city, to enable cyclists to exit green spaces without having to get off their bikes.

However, the cows have been shown to step around the narrow grids by walking through the bollards and have been in turn been pictured roaming onto footpaths.

A pedestrian underpass that runs along a footpath under The Fen Causeway road has now been blocked off to stop the herd.

The cycle grids were installed in line with the UK government's Active Travel schemes, which are aimed at improving Britain's walking and cycling routes.

Local artist Hilary Cox Condron, who photographed cows that had managed to circumvent the grids and get onto the Chisholm Trail walking and cycling route, said a passer-by joked: 'We'll see 'em in Aldi with shopping trolleys next.'

Cambridge City councillor Jean Glasburg said she alerted the city council after residents complained about the Fen Causeway being blocked.

She told the Cambridge Independent: 'When I contacted Cambridge City Council to find out what was going on officers told me that Cambridgeshire County Council had installed a new cattle grid on Laundress Green, but unfortunately, it was found that this grid was not suitable for use, as the cattle could still walk over it.

'As a result, a decision was made to close the underpass until an alternative cattle grid had been installed or adaptations made.'

One local resident said: 'Brings a new meaning to the taxpayers of Cambridge being 'cash cows' for cyclists in the city.'

'This is what happens when decisions are based not on common sense, but on appeasing the selfish demands of a handful of cycling extremists who have no consideration for the world around them.

'There was nothing wrong with the previous gates/grids. What a complete waste of time and taxpayers' money.'

A Cambridge City Council spokesperson said: 'We have found previously that cows can straddle narrow cattle grids and squeeze between bollards, and shared our concerns with County Council colleagues.

'We understand measures are to be put in place that will reduce the risk of cows escaping, whilst retaining the desired open cycle and footpath routes..'

A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire County Council, said: 'We put in the new cattle grids as part of our Active Travel programme which replaced the vehicle and pedestrian gates.

'We're aware of the concerns from the City Council about the cows and we're looking to put in some additional railings as soon as possible.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12198689/Locals-say-theres-just-one-problem-new-cyclist-friendly-cattle-grids-dont-stop-cows.html