Learning at some schools is like drinking from a firehose.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: 5th test Dharamsala

SubjectAuthor
* 5th test Dharamsalamiked
`* Re: 5th test DharamsalaJohn Hall
 `* Re: 5th test Dharamsalamiked
  `* Re: 5th test DharamsalaAdrian
   `* Re: 5th test DharamsalaJohn Hall
    `* Re: 5th test Dharamsalamiked
     `* Re: 5th test DharamsalaJohn Hall
      `* Re: 5th test Dharamsalamiked
       `* Re: 5th test DharamsalaJohn Hall
        `* Re: 5th test DharamsalaJohn Hall
         `* Re: 5th test Dharamsalamiked
          +* Re: 5th test DharamsalaJohn Hall
          |`- Re: 5th test Dharamsalamiked
          +- Re: 5th test DharamsalaMad Hamish
          `- Re: 5th test DharamsalaJohn Hall

1
5th test Dharamsala

<b7d904e5cff6c02fa02b5128dcae54df@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29923&group=uk.sport.cricket#29923

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: 5th test Dharamsala
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:03:04 +0000
 by: miked - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:03 UTC

Well back in the mountains again; 1 forcast i saw had Dara as cold as London and
rain threatens the 1st day.

Everyone seems to assume that it will favour the seamers and all the speculation
seems to focus on which 3 seamers, but Robbo injured his back again while batting
at Ranchi, so i would hope they wouldnt risk him. I think they should give Potts
a go if hes still in india, although the lions have finished, but Atkinson has been
mentioned; is wood injured? But with Bumrah back plus Akash and Siraj, indias seam
attack is arguably stronger. Gotta say most of indias selections been bang on, and
if they hadnt replaced barat with young Druv, it might have been 2-2 now not 3-1.

As for the batters, Bairstow hasnt done much in 4 tests, but i spose he will survive,
and probably get the gloves back for the summer, as Foakes seemingly hasnt won over
the critics. Pope is another whos form has tailed off dramatically with a pair
at Ranchi. Englands much vaunted middle order hasnt really fired and they havnt put
enough runs on the board in the last 3 to put india under pressure.

mike

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<zCcBnVAXDE6lFwYu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29924&group=uk.sport.cricket#29924

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: 5th test Dharamsala
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:09:27 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:09 UTC

In message <b7d904e5cff6c02fa02b5128dcae54df@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>Well back in the mountains again; 1 forcast i saw had Dara as cold as
>London and
>rain threatens the 1st day.
>
>Everyone seems to assume that it will favour the seamers and all the
>speculation seems to focus on which 3 seamers, but Robbo injured his
>back again while batting at Ranchi, so i would hope they wouldnt risk
>him. I think they should give Potts
>a go if hes still in india, although the lions have finished, but
>Atkinson has been mentioned; is wood injured?

I believe Wood is fit and favoured to return. If they decide to go with
three seamers, then IIRC Potts isn't part of the squad so Atkinson would
be ahead of him in the queue I would think. Also it's thought that
Stokes may bowl a few overs.

> But with Bumrah back plus Akash and Siraj, indias seam attack is
>arguably stronger.

The good news for England is that the outfield is apparently lush, so
there probably won't be any reverse swing to be had, which is when
Bumrah is at his most lethal.

> Gotta say most of indias selections been bang on, and
>if they hadnt replaced barat with young Druv, it might have been 2-2
>now not 3-1.

Yes, I was surprised when Bharat was dropped, as I thought he'd done
pretty well, but his replacement has clearly been even better.

>As for the batters, Bairstow hasnt done much in 4 tests, but i spose he
>will survive, and probably get the gloves back for the summer, as
>Foakes seemingly hasnt won over
>the critics.

Foakes has kept brilliantly, and batted well in partnerships with
players higher up the order, but his inability to score at a reasonable
pace when left with the tail and faced with defensive fields seems to
have counted against him. Someone will have to go when Brookes returns,
and a lot may be riding on this Test as to which of them it will be.

> Pope is another whos form has tailed off dramatically with a pair at
>Ranchi.

Pope seems remarkably vulnerable until he's got to 20 or so, after which
he seems to settle down and is capable of playing brilliantly.

>Englands much vaunted middle order hasnt really fired and they havnt
>put enough runs on the board in the last 3 to put india under pressure.
>mike

Yes, the middle order has struggled, apart from that one hundred from
Root. Stokes seems to have a problem in not getting right forward to the
spinners when the ball requires it - perhaps a habit he got into when
his knee injury was restricting his movement?

Crawley has been our most consistent batsman. Who would have expected
that?!
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<811686a63c8ef3c3c2fd91c2e0388070@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29925&group=uk.sport.cricket#29925

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:37:08 +0000
 by: miked - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 15:37 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <b7d904e5cff6c02fa02b5128dcae54df@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>Well back in the mountains again; 1 forcast i saw had Dara as cold as
>>London and
>>rain threatens the 1st day.

now theyr suggesting snow.

>>Everyone seems to assume that it will favour the seamers and all the
>>speculation seems to focus on which 3 seamers, but Robbo injured his
>>back again while batting at Ranchi, so i would hope they wouldnt risk
>>him. I think they should give Potts
>>a go if hes still in india, although the lions have finished, but
>>Atkinson has been mentioned; is wood injured?

> I believe Wood is fit and favoured to return. If they decide to go with
> three seamers, then IIRC Potts isn't part of the squad so Atkinson would
> be ahead of him in the queue I would think. Also it's thought that
> Stokes may bowl a few overs.

yep its confirmed, wood to replace Robbo.

>> But with Bumrah back plus Akash and Siraj, indias seam attack is
>>arguably stronger.

> The good news for England is that the outfield is apparently lush, so
> there probably won't be any reverse swing to be had, which is when
> Bumrah is at his most lethal.

>> Gotta say most of indias selections been bang on, and
>>if they hadnt replaced barat with young Druv, it might have been 2-2
>>now not 3-1.

> Yes, I was surprised when Bharat was dropped, as I thought he'd done
> pretty well, but his replacement has clearly been even better.
>>
>>As for the batters, Bairstow hasnt done much in 4 tests, but i spose he
>>will survive, and probably get the gloves back for the summer, as
>>Foakes seemingly hasnt won over
>>the critics.

> Foakes has kept brilliantly, and batted well in partnerships with
> players higher up the order, but his inability to score at a reasonable
> pace when left with the tail and faced with defensive fields seems to
> have counted against him. Someone will have to go when Brookes returns,
> and a lot may be riding on this Test as to which of them it will be.

for me, i would have brook in for bairstow. what they could do, is
reverse the order and have foakes come in above stokes and bairstow,
which might give so solidity to the middle order and prevent those
mid order collapses we've been having.

>> Pope is another whos form has tailed off dramatically with a pair at
>>Ranchi.

> Pope seems remarkably vulnerable until he's got to 20 or so, after which
> he seems to settle down and is capable of playing brilliantly.

He and his entourage met the Dalai Lama, which was the opportunity
for quite a lot of net headlines.

Meanwhile Duckets latest musings have fueled a backlash from someone as mild as
Rohit. Apparently D claimed credit to england that india were playing so well;
that is Jazball was copying bazball.

mike

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<nfGUFsJpnJ6lFwL3@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29926&group=uk.sport.cricket#29926

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:29:29 +0000
 by: Adrian - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:29 UTC

In message <811686a63c8ef3c3c2fd91c2e0388070@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <b7d904e5cff6c02fa02b5128dcae54df@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>>Well back in the mountains again; 1 forcast i saw had Dara as cold as
>>>London and
>>>rain threatens the 1st day.
>
>now theyr suggesting snow.

When was the last time we had "snow stopped play" ? Apart from the
famous case at Buxton, I seem to remember an early season Yorkshire
match at Middlesborough some decades back.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<UkwJcoAIgY6lFw$L@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29927&group=uk.sport.cricket#29927

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 09:25:28 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 09:25 UTC

In message <nfGUFsJpnJ6lFwL3@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
<bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>In message <811686a63c8ef3c3c2fd91c2e0388070@www.novabbs.com>, miked
><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>John Hall wrote:
>>
>>> In message <b7d904e5cff6c02fa02b5128dcae54df@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>
>>now theyr suggesting snow.
>
>When was the last time we had "snow stopped play" ? Apart from the
>famous case at Buxton, I seem to remember an early season Yorkshire
>match at Middlesborough some decades back.
>
>Adrian

Writing between innings:

Well the weather has turned out a lot better than forecast. That won't
be much consolation to England though. I blame myself for turning on the
TV. When I did so, they were 150-odd for three, with Root and Bairstow
going nicely, before it all fell apart. The one consolation is that
there is already some help for the spinners, so one can hope that
Bashir, Hartley and Root might keep India's lead to a manageable one.
Apparently India were considering playing an extra seamer. Had they done
so, Kuldeep might well have been the player left out, and the day might
have been very different.

It seems not so long ago that England's main worries were the lack of
quality openers and spinners, but in this series those have been the
side's strengths, with the middle-order batting the big weakness. How
quickly things can change!
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<95f18bd425d5bda94502db79b1933a54@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29928&group=uk.sport.cricket#29928

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:23:02 +0000
 by: miked - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:23 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <nfGUFsJpnJ6lFwL3@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
> <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>>In message <811686a63c8ef3c3c2fd91c2e0388070@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>now theyr suggesting snow.
>>
>>When was the last time we had "snow stopped play" ? Apart from the
>>famous case at Buxton, I seem to remember an early season Yorkshire
>>match at Middlesborough some decades back.
>>
>>Adrian

try april 2007 and 2021 when there was heavy snow even in the south, but
it had all melted by the afternoon. however england need a avalanche of
indian wkts if theyr to avoid another heavy defeat. if instead theres
an avalanche of runs, then i suspect they might lose by an innings.

> Writing between innings:

> Well the weather has turned out a lot better than forecast. That won't
> be much consolation to England though. I blame myself for turning on the
> TV. When I did so, they were 150-odd for three, with Root and Bairstow
> going nicely, before it all fell apart.

happens to me too, even when i turn on the radio to listen. doesnt seem to
happen when the opposition are batting. i turned it on about 9am,
and immediately england lost their last 2 wkts without a run scored.

>The one consolation is that
> there is already some help for the spinners, so one can hope that
> Bashir, Hartley and Root might keep India's lead to a manageable one.
> Apparently India were considering playing an extra seamer. Had they done
> so, Kuldeep might well have been the player left out, and the day might
> have been very different.

although i dont like seeing england collapse he was excellent. not
convinced our spinners will be as effective as mr K though. the 1 that
got crawley was a classic.

> It seems not so long ago that England's main worries were the lack of
> quality openers and spinners, but in this series those have been the
> side's strengths, with the middle-order batting the big weakness. How
> quickly things can change!

as root bairstow and stokes are in theory our best and most experienced
batters, gotta wonder why that is.

mike

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<VDk767Azvz6lFwth@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29929&group=uk.sport.cricket#29929

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:25:23 +0000
 by: John Hall - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:25 UTC

After day 2, I think the best that England can reasonably hope for is to
avoid an innings defeat and to take the match into day 4. As they often
seem to bat better in their second innings after a debacle in their
first, they might achieve that. I can't see any realistic way they can
win or even save the match, though. Their position is even worse that it
was after two days of the first Test. OK, the pitch isn't as
challenging, but it won't be as challenging for India in the fourth
innings either, should they need to bad again.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29930&group=uk.sport.cricket#29930

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:09:34 +0000
 by: miked - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:09 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> After day 2, I think the best that England can reasonably hope for is to
> avoid an innings defeat and to take the match into day 4. As they often
> seem to bat better in their second innings after a debacle in their
> first, they might achieve that. I can't see any realistic way they can
> win or even save the match, though. Their position is even worse that it
> was after two days of the first Test. OK, the pitch isn't as
> challenging, but it won't be as challenging for India in the fourth
> innings either, should they need to bad again.

All the headlines are strangely about stokes bowling rohit with his
first ball, but the truth is another long hard day in the field for
england, spinners took a lot of stick, but strangely bowled better
with the new ball. Bash again had a terrible time but came through
it well, but it was pretty awful for england, and i think rohit was
dropped early on in the day, and they couldnt get Bumrah and MrK out.

I havnt done the maths but i reckon that in the last 3 tests india
must have batted in overs at least twice as long as England. I'm
expecting the match to be over tomorrow, just hope the headlines
arnt stokes reinjures knee!

mike

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29931&group=uk.sport.cricket#29931

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:46:52 +0000
 by: John Hall - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:46 UTC

In message <795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> After day 2, I think the best that England can reasonably hope for is
>>to avoid an innings defeat and to take the match into day 4. As they
>>often seem to bat better in their second innings after a debacle in
>>their first, they might achieve that. I can't see any realistic way
>>they can win or even save the match, though. Their position is even
>>worse that it was after two days of the first Test. OK, the pitch
>>isn't as challenging, but it won't be as challenging for India in the
>>fourth innings either, should they need to bad again.
>
>All the headlines are strangely about stokes bowling rohit with his
>first ball, but the truth is another long hard day in the field for
>england, spinners took a lot of stick, but strangely bowled better
>with the new ball. Bash again had a terrible time but came through
>it well, but it was pretty awful for england, and i think rohit was
>dropped early on in the day, and they couldnt get Bumrah and MrK out.
>
>I havnt done the maths but i reckon that in the last 3 tests india must
>have batted in overs at least twice as long as England. I'm expecting
>the match to be over tomorrow, just hope the headlines arnt stokes
>reinjures knee!
>
>mike

I was thinking that if you picked the best composite XI from the two
sides, based solely on performances in this series, then there probably
wouldn't be a single England player in it. Crawley, Foakes, Hartley and
Bashir have performed best, but you could hardly pick them in preference
to Rohit (or Jaiswal), Jurel, Jadeja or Ashwin.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<Nju9SFBeoD7lFwEZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29932&group=uk.sport.cricket#29932

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 10:29:50 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 10:29 UTC

In message <D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com>, miked
><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>John Hall wrote:
>>
>>> After day 2, I think the best that England can reasonably hope for
>>>is to avoid an innings defeat and to take the match into day 4. As
>>>they often seem to bat better in their second innings after a debacle
>>>in their first, they might achieve that. I can't see any realistic
>>>way they can win or even save the match, though. Their position is
>>>even worse that it was after two days of the first Test. OK, the
>>>pitch isn't as challenging, but it won't be as challenging for India
>>>in the fourth innings either, should they need to bad again.
>>
>>All the headlines are strangely about stokes bowling rohit with his
>>first ball, but the truth is another long hard day in the field for
>>england, spinners took a lot of stick, but strangely bowled better
>>with the new ball. Bash again had a terrible time but came through
>>it well, but it was pretty awful for england, and i think rohit was
>>dropped early on in the day, and they couldnt get Bumrah and MrK out.
>>
>>I havnt done the maths but i reckon that in the last 3 tests india
>>must have batted in overs at least twice as long as England. I'm
>>expecting the match to be over tomorrow, just hope the headlines arnt
>>stokes reinjures knee!
>>
>>mike
>
>I was thinking that if you picked the best composite XI from the two
>sides, based solely on performances in this series, then there probably
>wouldn't be a single England player in it. Crawley, Foakes, Hartley and
>Bashir have performed best, but you could hardly pick them in
>preference to Rohit (or Jaiswal), Jurel, Jadeja or Ashwin.

Congratulations to India on completing a comprehensive win today. They
have been superb in this series, especially considering that they have
been without Kohli, Rahul and Shami.

The only consolations for England in today's play were Anderson reaching
700 wickets - a phenomenal achievement for a quick bowler - Bashir
getting another 5-for, and Root's innings. If only Root had been as
productive in the first three Tests as he was in the last two then this
series might have played out differently. Probably not, though,
considering just how good India have been.

It was nice to see Foakes picking up an award today for his keeping in
this match. The Player of the Match quite rightly went to Kuldeep, but
there were four or five different awards in all, to keep all the
companies wanting to sponsor something happy.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<f05cb8ae517097dc77a0018a4f219e3a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29933&group=uk.sport.cricket#29933

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:14:54 +0000
References: <b7d904e5cff6c02fa02b5128dcae54df@www.novabbs.com> <zCcBnVAXDE6lFwYu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <811686a63c8ef3c3c2fd91c2e0388070@www.novabbs.com> <nfGUFsJpnJ6lFwL3@ku.gro.lloiff> <UkwJcoAIgY6lFw$L@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <95f18bd425d5bda94502db79b1933a54@www.novabbs.com> <VDk767Azvz6lFwth@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com> <D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <Nju9SFBeoD7lFwEZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: miked - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:14 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
> <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>In message <795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>All the headlines are strangely about stokes bowling rohit with his
>>>first ball, but the truth is another long hard day in the field for
>>>england, spinners took a lot of stick, but strangely bowled better
>>>with the new ball. Bash again had a terrible time but came through
>>>it well, but it was pretty awful for england, and i think rohit was
>>>dropped early on in the day, and they couldnt get Bumrah and MrK out.
>>>
>>>I havnt done the maths but i reckon that in the last 3 tests india
>>>must have batted in overs at least twice as long as England. I'm
>>>expecting the match to be over tomorrow, just hope the headlines arnt
>>>stokes reinjures knee!
>>>
>>>mike
>>
>>I was thinking that if you picked the best composite XI from the two
>>sides, based solely on performances in this series, then there probably
>>wouldn't be a single England player in it. Crawley, Foakes, Hartley and
>>Bashir have performed best, but you could hardly pick them in
>>preference to Rohit (or Jaiswal), Jurel, Jadeja or Ashwin.

> Congratulations to India on completing a comprehensive win today. They
> have been superb in this series, especially considering that they have
> been without Kohli, Rahul and Shami.

yes unlike england their senior players stepped up, and the newbie batters
all contributed at vital moments. After the 1st win, to lose the next 4
like last time, must be very dissap for the players even if they are
not focused on results. Today they made it easy for india by reckless
attacking.

> The only consolations for England in today's play were Anderson reaching
> 700 wickets - a phenomenal achievement for a quick bowler - Bashir
> getting another 5-for, and Root's innings. If only Root had been as
> productive in the first three Tests as he was in the last two then this
> series might have played out differently. Probably not, though,
> considering just how good India have been.

i,m glad jimmys got his milestone, cos then theres less reason for him
to play on and on. I dont think our next test match is until july,
but surely there is a case to move onto younger seamers? Hes had
a remarkable record at home and away until last season, but
in his last 8 tests hes taken 14 at 50. Ditto with bairstow, maybe
his 100th should be his last when Brook is able to play again.

Before the 1st test, the selectors were generally criticised for their
choice of Bash and Hartley, well Bash certainly looks very promising,
Hartley is Ok on turners and is useful bat, but was rather expensive.
As England are unlikely to play 2 spinners very often at home, it will
be a difficult choice which to leave out. Of course they may go back to
Leach as I assume he will have recovered by July. Except for 1 spell
with the new ball at Rajkot, Wood was disappointing, he bowled either
too short or overpitched, usually hit out of the game by Jaiswal.

> It was nice to see Foakes picking up an award today for his keeping in
> this match. The Player of the Match quite rightly went to Kuldeep, but
> there were four or five different awards in all, to keep all the
> companies wanting to sponsor something happy.

Mr Jazball was player of the series deservedly for his 712 runs, Ashwin
got the gamechanger award, and both the shubman and root got something.
I think this is the 2nd or 3rd? time foakes has got 1 lakh [about £85000]
so hes got a lot of money to wire home at least, either that or he'll
need an extra suitcase.

mike

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<Axb7YHC8FL7lFwlx@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29934&group=uk.sport.cricket#29934

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:59:08 +0000
<nfGUFsJpnJ6lFwL3@ku.gro.lloiff> <UkwJcoAIgY6lFw$L@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<95f18bd425d5bda94502db79b1933a54@www.novabbs.com>
<VDk767Azvz6lFwth@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com>
<D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<Nju9SFBeoD7lFwEZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<f05cb8ae517097dc77a0018a4f219e3a@www.novabbs.com>
 by: John Hall - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:59 UTC

In message <f05cb8ae517097dc77a0018a4f219e3a@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>>In message <795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>I was thinking that if you picked the best composite XI from the two
>>>sides, based solely on performances in this series, then there
>>>probably wouldn't be a single England player in it. Crawley, Foakes,
>>>Hartley and Bashir have performed best, but you could hardly pick
>>>them in preference to Rohit (or Jaiswal), Jurel, Jadeja or Ashwin.
>
>> Congratulations to India on completing a comprehensive win today.
>>They have been superb in this series, especially considering that they
>>have been without Kohli, Rahul and Shami.
>
>yes unlike england their senior players stepped up, and the newbie batters
>all contributed at vital moments. After the 1st win, to lose the next 4
>like last time, must be very dissap for the players even if they are
>not focused on results. Today they made it easy for india by reckless
>attacking.
>
>> The only consolations for England in today's play were Anderson
>>reaching 700 wickets - a phenomenal achievement for a quick bowler -
>>Bashir getting another 5-for, and Root's innings. If only Root had
>>been as productive in the first three Tests as he was in the last two
>>then this series might have played out differently. Probably not,
>>though, considering just how good India have been.
>
>i,m glad jimmys got his milestone, cos then theres less reason for him
>to play on and on. I dont think our next test match is until july,
>but surely there is a case to move onto younger seamers? Hes had
>a remarkable record at home and away until last season, but
>in his last 8 tests hes taken 14 at 50.
> Ditto with bairstow, maybe
>his 100th should be his last when Brook is able to play again.

Anderson did bowl better than in the summer, but even so I agree about
both players. But I wonder if Anderson will want to go on until he's
passed Warne's 708 wickets, which is tantalisingly close, before he's
willing to announce his retirement. I have a sneaking feeling England
would prefer him to retire at once so they don't have to grasp the
nettle of dropping him.

>Before the 1st test, the selectors were generally criticised for their
>choice of Bash and Hartley, well Bash certainly looks very promising,
>Hartley is Ok on turners and is useful bat, but was rather expensive.
>As England are unlikely to play 2 spinners very often at home, it will
>be a difficult choice which to leave out. Of course they may go back to
>Leach as I assume he will have recovered by July.

I wonder if a fit Leach would have given England more control, even
though he might not have been as penetrative. He's been an astonishingly
unlucky cricketer will illness and injuries. Now I wonder if England
will decide his time has passed. With Stokes now (hopefully) fit to
bowl, it should make room even at home for England usually to play at
least one spinner and even two occasionally if conditions warrant it.

> Except for 1 spell
>with the new ball at Rajkot, Wood was disappointing, he bowled either
>too short or overpitched, usually hit out of the game by Jaiswal.

Yes. He's always a whole-hearted trier, but he wasn't at his best.

>> It was nice to see Foakes picking up an award today for his keeping
>>in this match. The Player of the Match quite rightly went to Kuldeep,
>>but there were four or five different awards in all, to keep all the
>>companies wanting to sponsor something happy.
>
>Mr Jazball was player of the series deservedly for his 712 runs, Ashwin
>got the gamechanger award, and both the shubman and root got something.
>I think this is the 2nd or 3rd? time foakes has got 1 lakh [about £85000]

As much as that? Rather more that player of the match would get in
England. :)

>so hes got a lot of money to wire home at least, either that or he'll
>need an extra suitcase.
>
>mike

:)
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<b94850cc1985e7f4932551bfb5c2921f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29935&group=uk.sport.cricket#29935

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 23:44:54 +0000
References: <b7d904e5cff6c02fa02b5128dcae54df@www.novabbs.com> <zCcBnVAXDE6lFwYu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <811686a63c8ef3c3c2fd91c2e0388070@www.novabbs.com> <nfGUFsJpnJ6lFwL3@ku.gro.lloiff> <UkwJcoAIgY6lFw$L@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <95f18bd425d5bda94502db79b1933a54@www.novabbs.com> <VDk767Azvz6lFwth@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com> <D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <Nju9SFBeoD7lFwEZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <f05cb8ae517097dc77a0018a4f219e3a@www.novabbs.com> <Axb7YHC8FL7lFwlx@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: miked - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 23:44 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <f05cb8ae517097dc77a0018a4f219e3a@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>John Hall wrote:
>>Mr Jazball was player of the series deservedly for his 712 runs, Ashwin
>>got the gamechanger award, and both the shubman and root got something.
>>I think this is the 2nd or 3rd? time foakes has got 1 lakh [about £85000]

> As much as that? Rather more that player of the match would get in
> England. :)

>>so hes got a lot of money to wire home at least, either that or he'll
>>need an extra suitcase.

at least he would if he kept all the rupees, but i confused lakh with
crore. 1 lakh is 100,000 rupees or about £939. So nothing to get excited about,
and since sports teams often pool their winnings, not really much at all!

mike

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<oqhquih2rhgjne2974jaf9mn80soivu589@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29936&group=uk.sport.cricket#29936

From: newsunspammelaws@iinet.unspamme.net.au (Mad Hamish)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:52:35 +1100
References: <zCcBnVAXDE6lFwYu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <811686a63c8ef3c3c2fd91c2e0388070@www.novabbs.com> <nfGUFsJpnJ6lFwL3@ku.gro.lloiff> <UkwJcoAIgY6lFw$L@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <95f18bd425d5bda94502db79b1933a54@www.novabbs.com> <VDk767Azvz6lFwth@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com> <D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <Nju9SFBeoD7lFwEZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <f05cb8ae517097dc77a0018a4f219e3a@www.novabbs.com>
 by: Mad Hamish - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 05:52 UTC

On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 18:14:54 +0000, dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked) wrote:

>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>> <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>>In message <795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>I was thinking that if you picked the best composite XI from the two
>>>sides, based solely on performances in this series, then there probably
>>>wouldn't be a single England player in it. Crawley, Foakes, Hartley and
>>>Bashir have performed best, but you could hardly pick them in
>>>preference to Rohit (or Jaiswal), Jurel, Jadeja or Ashwin.
>
>> Congratulations to India on completing a comprehensive win today. They
>> have been superb in this series, especially considering that they have
>> been without Kohli, Rahul and Shami.
>
>yes unlike england their senior players stepped up, and the newbie batters
>all contributed at vital moments. After the 1st win, to lose the next 4
>like last time, must be very dissap for the players even if they are
>not focused on results. Today they made it easy for india by reckless
>attacking.
>
>> The only consolations for England in today's play were Anderson reaching
>> 700 wickets - a phenomenal achievement for a quick bowler - Bashir
>> getting another 5-for, and Root's innings. If only Root had been as
>> productive in the first three Tests as he was in the last two then this
>> series might have played out differently. Probably not, though,
>> considering just how good India have been.
>
>i,m glad jimmys got his milestone, cos then theres less reason for him
>to play on and on. I dont think our next test match is until july,
>but surely there is a case to move onto younger seamers? Hes had
>a remarkable record at home and away until last season, but
>in his last 8 tests hes taken 14 at 50.

Considering Anderson was 2nd in the averages and over 40 runs/wicket
cheaper than Woods I'm not sure he's the person who should be giving
way for younger seamers

He had a terrible Ashes series but wasn't bad in India

> Ditto with bairstow, maybe
>his 100th should be his last when Brook is able to play again.

It's a pretty ugly series when you're playing as a specialist bat and
make 30 4 times but don't clear 40
I don't know what they'll do, whether they put him back as keeper or
decide to give him another sereis to get back to his form as a batsman
from before the broken leg.
Personally I don't think he should keep but we'll see

>Before the 1st test, the selectors were generally criticised for their
>choice of Bash and Hartley, well Bash certainly looks very promising,
>Hartley is Ok on turners and is useful bat, but was rather expensive.
>As England are unlikely to play 2 spinners very often at home, it will
>be a difficult choice which to leave out. Of course they may go back to
>Leach as I assume he will have recovered by July. Except for 1 spell
>with the new ball at Rajkot, Wood was disappointing, he bowled either
>too short or overpitched, usually hit out of the game by Jaiswal.

I've felt for quite a while that the worst thing you can be touring
India is a quick bowler who depends a lot on bounce. The lower bounce
gives people more chance to kind of control things. Mitch Johnson
still caused issues with his bounce in India but the batsman could
steer it that bit better so instead of popping up to be caught it
tended to pop away from the fieldsmen

Re: 5th test Dharamsala

<g9bzbPA9HX7lFwhK@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29937&group=uk.sport.cricket#29937

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 08:40:29 +0000
<nfGUFsJpnJ6lFwL3@ku.gro.lloiff> <UkwJcoAIgY6lFw$L@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<95f18bd425d5bda94502db79b1933a54@www.novabbs.com>
<VDk767Azvz6lFwth@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<795013894f0ca1c91ac5d2a95b7f7156@www.novabbs.com>
<D2DuHuBss26lFwdw@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<Nju9SFBeoD7lFwEZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<f05cb8ae517097dc77a0018a4f219e3a@www.novabbs.com>
<bd51d5ea-b8f6-4cb1-a2da-1646fe59260c@america.com>
 by: John Hall - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 08:40 UTC

In message <bd51d5ea-b8f6-4cb1-a2da-1646fe59260c@america.com>,
FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com>
writes
>Stokes completely FAILED as a batsman other than Bairstow and to SOME
>extent Pope and Root.
>
>That's ONE of the reasons why England lost 4-1.

Yep. England's middle order was supposed to be their strength, but it
turned out to be their big weakness.