From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Gino Mader: collision involving another rider
Date: 16 Jun 2023 13:49:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 13:49 UTC

Swiss cyclist Gino Mader has died at the age of 26 after crashing on stage
five of the Tour de Suisse.

The Team Bahrain Victorious rider was involved in a high-speed crash with
American Magnus Sheffield, 21, on Thursday on the descent of the Albula
Pass and fell into a ravine.

He was resuscitated at the scene before being airlifted to hospital in
Chur, but passed away on Friday morning.

Bahrain Victorious said Mader was "one of the shining lights of our team".

Friday's stage six was cancelled but the peloton will ride the final 20km
neutralised in honour of Mader.

"Gino was an extraordinary athlete, an example of determination, a valued
member of our team and the whole cycling community," Mader's team said.

"His talent, dedication and passion for the sport has inspired us all."

Team managing director Milan Erzen said: "Not only was he an extremely
talented cyclist but a great person off the bike.

"Bahrain Victorious will race in his honour, keeping his memory on every
road we race. We are determined to show the spirit and passion Gino
displayed, and he will always remain an integral part of our team."

The UCI - cycling's world governing body - said Mader was a "rising star".

Tour de Suisse race director Olivier Senn said: "We're heartbroken, the
whole organisation, the teams and the riders.

"It is devastating what happened, really hard to put into words. We just
stood together with all the teams and riders in memory of Gino and that's
all that counts for us at the moment.

"Gino was a fantastic rider and an excellent human, he was really a good
person and he doesn't deserve to leave the world like this."

Ineos Grenadiers rider Sheffield was taken to hospital with a concussion
and soft tissue damage.

Mader was a track cyclist before turning professional on the road in 2019
and joined Team Bahrain Victorious two years later.

In 2021, he won stage six of the Giro d'Italia and finished top of the
young rider classification at the Vuelta a Espana.

After the conclusion of stage five, Soudal-Quickstep rider and road race
world champion Remco Evenepoel expressed his concerns over the "dangerous
descent" at the finish.

'Your smile will forever be in our hearts' - reaction

Following Mader's death, the Giro d'Italia said his "smile will forever be
in our hearts", while UCI president David Lappartient said he was "deeply
saddened" by the news, adding it was a "terrible blow" to the cycling
community.

British rider Geraint Thomas, the 2018 Tour de France winner, said: "I
can't believe what I'm reading. Such a sad sad day. Thoughts with everyone
who knew and loved Gino."

The professional riders' association the CPA added: "Our hearts bleed at
this news. Condolences to his family, the team and the many friends who
loved him."

Thomas de Gendt - a five-time stage winner across the Tour de France, Giro
d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana - said: "Again someone taken too soon. Feel
sick reading this horrible news."

Former world champion Alejandro Valverde said "there are no words".

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/65926606>

--
Spike

Re: Gino Mader: collision involving another rider

<kf3e6cF9iidU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29978&group=uk.rec.cycling#29978

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Gino Mader: collision involving another rider
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 16:42:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:42 UTC

It was on BBC Teletext too.

Two-vehicle accident, apparently.