From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Highest Innings
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:31:12 +0000
 by: miked - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:31 UTC

score without a 100 by a player is now 531 by SL vs Bangles at Chittagong [both Mendis'
got 90s], who look likely to win again in bdesh as the bangles have only 3 wkts left to
get 243. When i saw this i felt sure it must be a record, but in fact it only just beat
Indias 524-9 at Kanpur in 1976, although that match was drawn despite 479 overs being
bowled!

mike

Re: Highest Innings

<l74ctvF1gukU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29991&group=uk.sport.cricket#29991

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Highest Innings
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:57:02 +0100
 by: David North - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 06:57 UTC

On 02/04/2024 23:31, miked wrote:
> score without a 100 by a player is now 531 by SL vs Bangles at
> Chittagong [both Mendis' got 90s], who look likely to win again in bdesh
> as the bangles have only 3 wkts left to
> get 243. When i saw this i felt sure it must be a record, but in fact it
> only just beat Indias 524-9 at Kanpur in 1976, although that match was
> drawn despite 479 overs being bowled!

The most remarkable thing about the Kanpur innings was that it held the
record despite the highest score being only 70. There was a 70 in SL's
new record as well, but also 3 scores over 85.

--
David North

Re: Highest Innings

<6vZ4JUCpqQDmFw$G@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29994&group=uk.sport.cricket#29994

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:52:09 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:52 UTC

In message <0d4342eff4504c2a5968b68c613c7b8e@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>score without a 100 by a player is now 531 by SL vs Bangles at
>Chittagong [both Mendis' got 90s], who look likely to win again in
>bdesh as the bangles have only 3 wkts left to
>get 243. When i saw this i felt sure it must be a record, but in fact
>it only just beat Indias 524-9 at Kanpur in 1976, although that match
>was drawn despite 479 overs being bowled!
>
>mike

Is that highest in a Test, or in all f-c cricket?
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Highest Innings

<l76rjnFcnp4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29997&group=uk.sport.cricket#29997

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 06:19:50 +0100
 by: David North - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 05:19 UTC

On 03/04/2024 08:52, John Hall wrote:
> In message <0d4342eff4504c2a5968b68c613c7b8e@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> score without a 100 by a player is now 531 by SL vs Bangles at
>> Chittagong [both Mendis' got 90s], who look likely to win again in
>> bdesh as the bangles have only 3 wkts left to
>> get 243. When i saw this i felt sure it must be a record, but in fact
>> it only just beat Indias 524-9 at Kanpur in 1976, although that match
>> was drawn despite 479 overs being bowled!
>>
>> mike
>
> Is that highest in a Test, or in all f-c cricket?

In a Test. The FC record is 671/9d by Surrey v Kent at Beckenham two
years ago, when they demolished the previous record of 609.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/county-championship-division-one-2022-1297650/kent-vs-surrey-1297709/full-scorecard

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Team/Large_Totals_Without_Century.html

--
David North

Re: Highest Innings

<XQ7YMHBbamDmFwYD@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29999&group=uk.sport.cricket#29999

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 09:36:43 +0100
 by: John Hall - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 08:36 UTC

In message <l76rjnFcnp4U1@mid.individual.net>, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On 03/04/2024 08:52, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <0d4342eff4504c2a5968b68c613c7b8e@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>> score without a 100 by a player is now 531 by SL vs Bangles at
>>>Chittagong [both Mendis' got 90s], who look likely to win again in
>>>bdesh as the bangles have only 3 wkts left to
>>> get 243. When i saw this i felt sure it must be a record, but in
>>>fact it only just beat Indias 524-9 at Kanpur in 1976, although that
>>>match was drawn despite 479 overs being bowled!
>>>
>>> mike
>> Is that highest in a Test, or in all f-c cricket?
>
>In a Test. The FC record is 671/9d by Surrey v Kent at Beckenham two
>years ago, when they demolished the previous record of 609.
>
>https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/county-championship-division-one-202
>2-1297650/kent-vs-surrey-1297709/full-scorecard
>
>https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Team/Large_Tota
>ls_Without_Century.html

Thanks. Since Surrey are my club, I really should have remembered that.
But my memory nowadays is such that I might have had a better chance of
remembering it had it happened forty years ago rather than two!