Inside, I'm already SOBBING!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

SubjectAuthor
* British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driverswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: British race cancelled afterSpike
+- Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunkJNugent
+* Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk drswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk drswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: British race cancelled afterSpike
|+- Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunkJNugent
|`* Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk drswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk drswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk drswldx...@gmail.com
 `* Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk drswldx...@gmail.com
  `* Re: British race cancelled afterSpike
   `- Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunkJNugent

1
British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

<8efe212c-782a-49fa-94bf-b985d7aeda9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30056&group=uk.rec.cycling#30056

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: British_race_cancelled_after_“heavily_drunk_driver
”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:50 UTC

The Upton 200, the longest National B-level race in Britain, was cancelled after just three laps earlier today, following a serious collision between two members of the public on the course, including what the race organisers have described as a “heavily drunk driver”.

The 200km race, which takes place on the rolling roads south of Pontefract in West Yorkshire, was called off early with just over 30km covered, after two motorists collided on a section of the route, causing serious damage to their vehicles and prompting the race’s marshals, first aid staff, and event staff to intervene to help those involved. According to the Velo UK Twitter account (link is external), at least one of the vehicles ended up on its roof following the crash.

While the vehicles reportedly sustained serious damage in the collision, no one involved, including a family with children in one of the cars, was injured. The organisers also noted that the riders were at a different section of the 10km lap at the time of the crash, and so were not involved in the incident.

Though no one was hurt, the organisers made the decision to not restart the race and, in a statement published an hour after the event’s cancellation, claimed that one of the motorists involved in the crash was “heavily drunk”.

“It is with great sadness that we had to cancel the Upton 200 today,” the statement from organisers Yomp Bonk Crew said (link is external).

“Three laps into the 20-lap race, there was a collision between two public vehicles on the course involving a heavily drunk driver in one vehicle and a family with children in the other. Luckily, nobody involved sustained injuries.

“It is deeply upsetting to see the inconsiderate actions of one individual endanger the lives of so many others.”

The organisers’ claim that one of the drivers involved was drunk was corroborated by Cameron Jeffers, who was racing today’s Upton 200 and said on Twitter that “the fella was so pissed he couldn’t even stand up”.

Jeffers continued: “ There’s a special place in Hell for him. A couple minutes earlier we rode down this road. I hate to think of the outcome if he collided with a peloton of riders at +100mph. The little rat.”

The Velo UK Twitter account also claimed that they witnessed several motorists driving “excessively fast” while standing on the circuit.

Announcing that they hope to reorganise the race in the future, the Upton 200’s organisers confirmed that “the race was not at all involved in the incident as it was at a different point of the course, but a huge thank you to Julian Hall First Aid Services, our National Escort Group motorbike marshals, and the event staff who were first on scene to the accident and did an outstanding job of helping those involved as well as keeping the scene clear and making sure the public and riders were kept safe.”

Today’s incident at the Upton 200 isn’t the first time this year that a British National B race has been stopped early due to a collision involving a vehicle.

In March, a racer was airlifted to hospital with a neck injury sustained in a crash with a car stopped on the course of the Dulwich Paragon Wally Gimber Trophy, prompting teams and riders alike to call for safety improvements at races.

The race – one of the longest-running road races in the United Kingdom, having been held every year since 1960 except for 2020 – was called off after the incident on the second lap which saw “one rider hit the back of a stationary car” and sustain “serious injuries”.

The race organisers said the event had been stopped following a “traffic incident”, with the Ride Revolution team confirming to road.cc that their rider had crashed through the vehicle’s rear windscreen, suffering a serious cut to the neck which saw him rushed by air ambulance to King’s College Hospital for emergency treatment.

https://road.cc/content/news/british-race-cancelled-after-drunk-driver-crashes-course-301957

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver ” collides with family car on the course

<kf9alqF6dpeU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30059&group=uk.rec.cycling#30059

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: British race cancelled after
Date: 18 Jun 2023 21:18:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 21:18 UTC

“The Velo UK Twitter account also claimed that they witnessed several
motorists driving “excessively fast” while standing on the circuit.”

How does someone drive excessively fast while standing still?

I suppose it makes sense in the reality occupied by cyclists…

--
Spike

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

<kf9hpbF7gigU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30062&group=uk.rec.cycling#30062

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_British_race_cancelled_after_“heavily_drunk
_driver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 00:20:11 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 23:20 UTC

> The Upton 200, the longest National B-level race in Britain, was cancelled after just three laps earlier today, following a serious collision between two members of the public on the course, including what the race organisers have described as a “heavily drunk driver”.
> The 200km race, which takes place on the rolling roads south of Pontefract in West Yorkshire, was called off early with just over 30km covered, after two motorists collided on a section of the route, causing serious damage to their vehicles and prompting the race’s marshals, first aid staff, and event staff to intervene to help those involved. According to the Velo UK Twitter account (link is external), at least one of the vehicles ended up on its roof following the crash.
> While the vehicles reportedly sustained serious damage in the collision, no one involved, including a family with children in one of the cars, was injured. The organisers also noted that the riders were at a different section of the 10km lap at the time of the crash, and so were not involved in the incident.
> Though no one was hurt, the organisers made the decision to not restart the race and, in a statement published an hour after the event’s cancellation, claimed that one of the motorists involved in the crash was “heavily drunk”.

Was anyone arrested for being over the limit?

> “It is with great sadness that we had to cancel the Upton 200 today,” the statement from organisers Yomp Bonk Crew said (link is external).

Thank heavens for small mercies, eh?

> “Three laps into the 20-lap race, there was a collision between two public vehicles on the course involving a heavily drunk driver in one vehicle and a family with children in the other. Luckily, nobody involved sustained injuries.
> “It is deeply upsetting to see the inconsiderate actions of one individual endanger the lives of so many others.”
> The organisers’ claim that one of the drivers involved was drunk was corroborated by Cameron Jeffers, who was racing today’s Upton 200 and said on Twitter that “the fella was so pissed he couldn’t even stand up”.
> Jeffers continued: “ There’s a special place in Hell for him. A couple minutes earlier we rode down this road. I hate to think of the outcome if he collided with a peloton of riders at +100mph. The little rat.”
> The Velo UK Twitter account also claimed that they witnessed several motorists driving “excessively fast” while standing on the circuit.

Driving while standing on the road (not "the circuit")?

How does that work?

Were the vehicles remotely controlled?

> Announcing that they hope to reorganise the race in the future, the Upton 200’s organisers confirmed that “the race was not at all involved in the incident as it was at a different point of the course, but a huge thank you to Julian Hall First Aid Services, our National Escort Group motorbike marshals, and the event staff who were first on scene to the accident and did an outstanding job of helping those involved as well as keeping the scene clear and making sure the public and riders were kept safe.”
> Today’s incident at the Upton 200 isn’t the first time this year that a British National B race has been stopped early due to a collision involving a vehicle.

What other sort of collision could happen in a road-race?

> In March, a racer was airlifted to hospital with a neck injury sustained in a crash with a car stopped on the course of the Dulwich Paragon Wally Gimber Trophy, prompting teams and riders alike to call for safety improvements at races.

Here's a suggestion:

Hold races off the public roads, on a private race-track.

That'd be a safety improvement, wouldn't it?

> The race – one of the longest-running road races in the United Kingdom, having been held every year since 1960 except for 2020 – was called off after the incident on the second lap which saw “one rider hit the back of a stationary car” and sustain “serious injuries”.
> The race organisers said the event had been stopped following a “traffic incident”, with the Ride Revolution team confirming to road.cc that their rider had crashed through the vehicle’s rear windscreen, suffering a serious cut to the neck which saw him rushed by air ambulance to King’s College Hospital for emergency treatment.

From Pontefract to Central London by helicopter?

> https://road.cc/content/news/british-race-cancelled-after-drunk-driver-crashes-course-301957

You keep saying "the course", "the circuit" or "the route".

What you mean is "the road which is actually for everyone to use".

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

<b5350654-ef4d-463a-a8e9-bb030c41b013n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30066&group=uk.rec.cycling#30066

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 23:33:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_British_race_cancelled_after_“heavily_drunk_dr
iver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 06:33 UTC

Need to know what happened to the drunk driver.

Arrested?

Did police attend? IIRC West Yorkshire police are not the worst in the country.
They most probably took him to the nearest pub for a brandy to get over the shock.

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

<0beb9117-bf00-4ae0-8705-dd2b974a0d28n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30069&group=uk.rec.cycling#30069

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 23:42:14 -0700 (PDT)
iver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 06:42 UTC

Could have been worse:

QUOTE: The Isle of Man TT is widely regarded as the most dangerous motorsport event on the planet.

The races have been run 101 times since the inaugural event in 1907 and moved to the Mountain Course in 1911, which has seen 266 fatalities, 155 during the June TT event.

The unforgiving nature of the TT Mountain Course, with its inherent risks, provides part of the appeal for those who choose to take part, the high speeds of up to 200mph a major element of the challenge.

The natural hazards posed by a circuit which is staged on closed public roads are obvious - walls, hedges, telegraph poles, houses, grass banks all line the 37.73 mile course which snakes through towns and villages and over the A18 Snaefell Mountain Road at speeds often averaging upwards of 130mph.

While critics regard the races as an anachronism in a modern-day world in which health and safety rules have eliminated many of the risks associated with much more genteel events, supporters will point to the fact that riders contest the event of their own free will, fully aware of the risks they are taking.

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk dr iver” collides with family car on the course

<kfalfmFckmeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30070&group=uk.rec.cycling#30070

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 19 Jun 2023 09:29:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:29 UTC

> Could have been worse:

That’s a morally-bankrupt argument.

> QUOTE: The Isle of Man TT is widely regarded as the most dangerous
> motorsport event on the planet.

<snipped>

--
Spike

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

<cefdd8d4-5f2a-482b-a401-c2d4ab035982n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30075&group=uk.rec.cycling#30075

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 03:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
iver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 10:33 UTC

A TT rider has died competing in the Supertwin race at the Isle of Man TT.

Raul Torras Martinez was killed during an accident at Alpine on the final lap of the race.

The 46-year-old, from Sant Hilari Sacalm in Spain, was described as an 'experienced TT competitor', after making his debut in 2017.

He recorded his fastest lap of the Mountain Course earlier in the day during the Superstock race.

He was the fastest Spaniard ever to complete a lap on the TT course.

In a statement, organisers at the Isle of Man TT said: "With great sadness, the Isle of Man TT Races can confirm that Raul Torras Martinez, 46, from Sant Hilari Sacalm, Spain, was killed in an accident during the first Supertwin Race of the 2023 Isle of Man TT Races.

"The accident occurred at Alpine, between the 16th and 17th mile markers, on the third and final lap of the race.

"Raul was an experienced TT competitor who made his debut in 2017, with a best result of 15th in last year’s Supertwin Race.

"He recorded his fastest ever lap of the TT Mountain Course earlier today in the Superstock Race, with a lap at an average speed of 125.470mph whilst securing a 20th-place finish. Raul was the fastest Spaniard ever to have lapped the TT Course.

"In total, Raul competed in 21 TT races and his performances earned him a total of 18 Bronze Replicas.

"The Isle of Man TT Races pass on their deepest sympathy to Raul’s family, friends, and loved ones."

Manx rider Conor Cummins tweeted saying he was 'gutted' following the news, and that he was 'proud to call him a friend'.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-06-06/tt-rider-raul-torras-martinez-dies-competing-in-supertwin-race

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

<kfav0tFe0jhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30077&group=uk.rec.cycling#30077

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_driver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:12:14 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:12 UTC

On 19/06/2023 07:33 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Need to know what happened to the drunk driver.
>
> Arrested?
>
> Did police attend? IIRC West Yorkshire police are not the worst in the country.
>
> They most probably took him to the nearest pub for a brandy to get over the shock.

You have hit the nail on the head.

The least one would have expected would have been a report of the police
attending and conducting a breath test. Perhaps it happened as reported.
Perhaps it didn't. Perhaps someone was telling porkies.

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

<b33fd4d4-aad1-4f1f-8c43-52c541a56a84n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30083&group=uk.rec.cycling#30083

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:27:07 -0700 (PDT)
iver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:27 UTC

A rider and two spectators were killed today on the final day of the centenary Isle of Man TT races.

The rider, competing in the Senior TT motorcycle race, and one of the spectators died at the scene. A second spectator died after being admitted to Nobles hospital.

The accident occurred at the 26th milestone on the 2,036ft Snaefell mountain, which is the highest point of the course.

Neither the rider nor the spectators who died have been named. Two other spectators were injured.

A statement from the event organisers said: “The coroner of inquest has been informed, and an investigation into the circumstances of the accident is under way. The organisers of the event express their sympathy to the families and friends of those involved.”

That the race, the longest and oldest motorcycle course in the world, is dangerous is indisputable: there have been 223 deaths over the 100-year history of the TT and its sister event the Manx Grand Prix.

The race, around a 37.7-mile circuit, involves high-performance bikes reaching speeds of more than 200mph on the straights, and taking about 200 bends..

For one fortnight once a year, the world’s best road racers come to the Isle of Man to take part. The margin of triumph or disaster can be fine.

Last year police were forced to warn competitors to take greater care as the death toll during the race weeks rose to eight.

Fatal accidents involving spectators are more rare. However it is not uncommon for fans to be killed while driving their bikes around the island.

Up to 40,000 extra motorcycles are on the island during the TT festival.

Four race fans were killed on the roads last year, while three people were killed in competitions or practices, and one person died after a bike accident at a disused airfield.

The future of the event is always in doubt because of safety fears, especially on so-called “Mad Sunday”, when any member of the public can ride the mountain section of the course.

Today’s accident cast a shadow over what had been a memorable centenary event.

Yesterday’s race by Senior TT winner John McGuinness, from Morecambe, Lancashire, on a Honda Fireblade, was timed at one hour 46 minutes and 44 seconds, at an average speed of 127.25 mph. His fastest single lap had an average speed of 130.35 mph.

The races originally began on the island - a self-governing British dependency - because of restrictions on holding such an event in the UK.

The Isle of Man allowed roads to close in 1904 for the Gordon Bennett car trials, and the first races then took place in 1907, organised by the Auto Cycle Club.

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk dr iver” collides with family car on the course

<kfbcqaFg3knU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30094&group=uk.rec.cycling#30094

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 19 Jun 2023 16:07:38 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:07 UTC

er…

Where in this report does it say the race was cancelled?

And who is this Dr Iver? Is he alright after the collision?

<9cde98bc-93d3-49c4-8b17-d21751b9b3ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30097&group=uk.rec.cycling#30097

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 10:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
iver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:18 UTC

A third racer has died at this year’s Isle of Man TT race after 52-year-old Davy Morgan crashed on Monday morning.

The Northern Irishman came off at the 27th Milestone of the third and final lap during the Supersport event, and the news was confirmed by the TT organisers later the same day.

Morgan is the third racer to be killed at the TT after Welsh rider Mark Purslow died in practice last week and sidecar passenger Olivier Lavorel was killed in an accident on Saturday.

A statement read: “It is with a heavy heart that the Isle of Man TT Races can confirm the loss of Davy Morgan following an incident on the final lap of the first Supersport Race of the 2022 Isle of Man TT Races.

“We extend our deepest sympathy to Davy’s partner Trudy, his family, loved ones, and friends.

“Davy was a stalwart of the TT paddock, with 2022 marking 20 years since he first competed in the Isle of Man TT Races. Today’s Supersport Race was his 80th TT race start.

“His distinctive pink helmet was a regular and recognisable sight within road racing, having competed in hundreds of races across the Manx Grand Prix, Classic TT, Southern 100, North West 200, Ulster Grand Prix, Macau Grand Prix, Oliver’s Mount, and Irish national races, with numerous podiums and race victories along the way.”

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk dr iver” collides with family car on the course

<kfc7rtFk3p6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30099&group=uk.rec.cycling#30099

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_dr_iver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 00:49:17 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 23:49 UTC

On 19/06/2023 05:07 pm, Spike wrote:

> er…
> Where in this report does it say the race was cancelled?
> And who is this Dr Iver? Is he alright after the collision?

:-)

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A rider and two spectators were killed today on the final day of the
>> centenary Isle of Man TT races.
>>
>> The rider, competing in the Senior TT motorcycle race, and one of the
>> spectators died at the scene. A second spectator died after being
>> admitted to Nobles hospital.
>>
>> The accident occurred at the 26th milestone on the 2,036ft Snaefell
>> mountain, which is the highest point of the course.
>>
>> Neither the rider nor the spectators who died have been named. Two other
>> spectators were injured.
>>
>> A statement from the event organisers said: “The coroner of inquest has
>> been informed, and an investigation into the circumstances of the
>> accident is under way. The organisers of the event express their sympathy
>> to the families and friends of those involved.”
>>
>> That the race, the longest and oldest motorcycle course in the world, is
>> dangerous is indisputable: there have been 223 deaths over the 100-year
>> history of the TT and its sister event the Manx Grand Prix.
>>
>> The race, around a 37.7-mile circuit, involves high-performance bikes
>> reaching speeds of more than 200mph on the straights, and taking about 200 bends.
>>
>> For one fortnight once a year, the world’s best road racers come to the
>> Isle of Man to take part. The margin of triumph or disaster can be fine.
>>
>> Last year police were forced to warn competitors to take greater care as
>> the death toll during the race weeks rose to eight.
>>
>> Fatal accidents involving spectators are more rare. However it is not
>> uncommon for fans to be killed while driving their bikes around the island.

So, M'Lud (Mad Mason), it is rare (more rare, even) but not uncommon for
spectators to be killed?

Is that what you said?

>> Up to 40,000 extra motorcycles are on the island during the TT festival.
>>
>> Four race fans were killed on the roads last year, while three people
>> were killed in competitions or practices, and one person died after a
>> bike accident at a disused airfield.
>>
>> The future of the event is always in doubt because of safety fears,
>> especially on so-called “Mad Sunday”, when any member of the public can
>> ride the mountain section of the course.
>>
>> Today’s accident cast a shadow over what had been a memorable centenary event.
>>
>> Yesterday’s race by Senior TT winner John McGuinness, from Morecambe,
>> Lancashire, on a Honda Fireblade, was timed at one hour 46 minutes and 44
>> seconds, at an average speed of 127.25 mph. His fastest single lap had an
>> average speed of 130.35 mph.
>>
>> The races originally began on the island - a self-governing British
>> dependency - because of restrictions on holding such an event in the UK.
>>
>> The Isle of Man allowed roads to close in 1904 for the Gordon Bennett car
>> trials, and the first races then took place in 1907, organised by the Auto Cycle Club.

Re: British race cancelled after “heavily drunk driver” collides with family car on the course

<f56f3bee-4b06-4f85-be3d-967dced63d18n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30100&group=uk.rec.cycling#30100

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:58:43 -0700 (PDT)
iver”_collides_with_family_car_on_the_course
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 05:58 UTC

Roger Stockton, 56, and Bradley, 21, died in an incident on the final lap of the second sidecar race.

It takes the total number of deaths at this year's race to five, the worst since 2014.

Roger was the driver and Bradley was in the passenger seat. The father and son team, from Crewe, died after an incident at the Ago's Leap section of the course.

A statement by race organisers on the Irish Sea island said: "Roger was an experienced TT competitor, with today's race marking his 20th TT race start..

"He competed at the TT regularly from 2000 to 2008, before then returning in 2010, 2017 and at this year's event.

"In his career, he claimed a total of twelve top-20 finishes and four top-10 finishes, as well as 10 Bronze Replicas.

"Bradley was a newcomer to the TT and finished his first TT race on Monday, securing an impressive 8th-place finish alongside his father.
Roger and Bradley tied in an incident on Friday

"2022 was their fifth season racing together, and Roger and Bradley were regular podium finishers and frontrunners in the British F2 Sidecar Cup Championship, finishing second in the championship in 2021.

"The Isle of Man TT Races pass on their deepest sympathy to Roger and Bradley’s families, loved ones, and friends."

The famous motorbike races, which take place on public roads, are among the most well known but are notorious for its history of fatal accidents.

Read more: Almost 10,000 buildings 'unsafe' with danger cladding five years on from Grenfell

Rachel Stockton said on Facebook: "Heartbroken doesn't even begin to express how our family are feeling right now. Not only to lose one member of the family but two in the same incident has absolutely shocked us to the core.

"Roger and Brad absolutely loved racing, it was their dream to race the TT together and they achieved 8th in the first race together and what a proud moment that was!

"Thank you for everyones kind comments and condolences, they really mean the world to my family and I!"

Speaking earlier in the year, Roger said said: "I've retired a few times before, but always come back for my love of the sport. Going around the course with my own flesh and blood will be incredible."

It follows the death of France's Cesar Chanal last week, who died in a crash in another sidecar race. The sidecar burst into flames during the accident.

Organisers had to apologise after initially, wrongly, announcing his passenger had died in a case of mistaken identity.

Mark Purslow, a Welsh rider, was killed during qualifying last week and Davy Morgan, from Northern Ireland, died in an accident in the Supersport Race on Monday.