From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Felco secateurs - which model for general pruning?
Date: 14 May 2022 15:50:34 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 14 May 2022 15:50 UTC

Having been tempted by Charlie Pridham I am now considering a pair of Felco
secateurs.

However there seems to be endless choice.

I think I need them for small to medium thickness - that is thinner than
when you start to reach for the loppers - but beyond that I'm not sure.

Trees, roses, shrubs, that sort of thing.

Any recommendations from current users most welcome.

A side use might be to carry in a holster when walking in the country for
a bit of guerilla pruning of overhanging branches from shrubs but
especially brambles. These annoy when they partially or completely block a
footpath.

TIA

Dave R

Re: Felco secateurs - which model for general pruning?

<qxpqqrOzn+fiFwNO@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2917&group=uk.rec.gardening#2917

From: david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 18:42:11 +0100
 by: David Rance - Sat, 14 May 2022 17:42 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 15:50:34 David wrote:

>Having been tempted by Charlie Pridham I am now considering a pair of Felco
>secateurs.
>
>However there seems to be endless choice.
>
>I think I need them for small to medium thickness - that is thinner than
>when you start to reach for the loppers - but beyond that I'm not sure.
>
>Trees, roses, shrubs, that sort of thing.
>
>Any recommendations from current users most welcome.
>
>A side use might be to carry in a holster when walking in the country for
>a bit of guerilla pruning of overhanging branches from shrubs but
>especially brambles. These annoy when they partially or completely block a
>footpath.

I've used a No. 8 for the last thirty years or so. Still as good as the
day I bought it. I've also got a No. 9 (Left-handed) which I bought by
mistake.

Both excellent for general work.

David

Re: Felco secateurs - which model for general pruning?

<t638lu$5hs$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2949&group=uk.rec.gardening#2949

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 17:59:41 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Wed, 18 May 2022 16:59 UTC

On 14/05/2022 16:50, David wrote:
> Having been tempted by Charlie Pridham I am now considering a pair of Felco
> secateurs.
>
> However there seems to be endless choice.
>
> I think I need them for small to medium thickness - that is thinner than
> when you start to reach for the loppers - but beyond that I'm not sure.
>
> Trees, roses, shrubs, that sort of thing.
>
> Any recommendations from current users most welcome.
>
> A side use might be to carry in a holster when walking in the country for
> a bit of guerilla pruning of overhanging branches from shrubs but
> especially brambles. These annoy when they partially or completely block a
> footpath.
>
> TIA
>

> Dave R

I think what ever you find comfy I have no 7's with the rotating handle
but then I am doing a lot of work with them and I get repetitive strain
injury if I am not careful! wife uses the ordinary sort

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Felco secateurs - which model for general pruning?

<jh3nksFh4h0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3007&group=uk.rec.gardening#3007

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 17 Jun 2022 16:15:24 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 16:15 UTC

On Wed, 18 May 2022 17:59:41 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

> On 14/05/2022 16:50, David wrote:
>> Having been tempted by Charlie Pridham I am now considering a pair of
>> Felco secateurs.
>>
>> However there seems to be endless choice.
>>
>> I think I need them for small to medium thickness - that is thinner
>> than when you start to reach for the loppers - but beyond that I'm not
>> sure.
>>
>> Trees, roses, shrubs, that sort of thing.
>>
>> Any recommendations from current users most welcome.
>>
>> A side use might be to carry in a holster when walking in the country
>> for a bit of guerilla pruning of overhanging branches from shrubs but
>> especially brambles. These annoy when they partially or completely
>> block a footpath.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> I think what ever you find comfy I have no 7's with the rotating handle
> but then I am doing a lot of work with them and I get repetitive strain
> injury if I am not careful! wife uses the ordinary sort

The rotating handle won the day.
Brief trials are impressive.
Guerilla pruning was also a success.
Now to concentrate on not losing them!