Langsam's Laws: (1) Everything depends. (2) Nothing is always. (3) Everything is sometimes.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ cycle lane:

SubjectAuthor
* Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your ownswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Sick of close passes from drivers?Spike
+* Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your oswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Sick of close passes from drivers?Spike
|`- Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your owJNugent
+- Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your oswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your oswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your owJNugent
`- Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your oswldx...@gmail.com

1
Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ cycle lane:

<57e42091-2a5c-4611-9e1e-482c0678641dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30107&group=uk.rec.cycling#30107

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 03:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sick_of_close_passes_from_drivers?_Create_your_own_
‘laser’_cycle_lane:_
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:48 UTC

Now, I’m not sure if you’ve noticed over the years, but here at road.cc we tend to talk a lot about close passes committed on cyclists by distracted, poor, or just downright dangerous drivers (believe it or not, there’s actually a whole series dedicated to this very thing. Who knew?).

And we also chat quite a bit on the live blog about the need to introduce more, and better, cycling infrastructure to protect riders from this kind of perilous driving.?

Anyway, an undergraduate student at Brunel University London reckons he’s come up with the perfect solution to these classic road.cc problems: by creating the ‘laser cycle lane’.

Laser Lane, the brainchild of 23-year-old Ibrahim Cam, a final-year Industrial Design and Technology student at Brunel, allows a cyclist – through the touch of a button on their handlebars – to create two beams of light on the road 1.5 metres either side of them, indicating to passing drivers the recommended overtaking distance as noted in the Highway Code.

Cam’s new product, which was unveiled at last week’s Made in Brunel exhibition, showcasing gadgets and devices designed by final year students at the university’s Design School, also features touch-activated indicators, as well as front and rear lights.

“The laser lane is intended to increase the visibility of cyclists and to improve communication with other road users,” the student says.

“The capacitive touch-activated front and rear lights are on the end of the handlebars so drivers can tell the true length of a bike, and the laser will show motorists the clearance that they must give cyclists.

“The front lights are white and the rear lights are red, so drivers can tell if they are looking at the front or the rear of a bike. There is also a capacitive touch-activated indicator, so cyclists can clearly indicate when they are turning a corner.”

Cam says he was inspired to design Laser Lane after he started driving last year, when he says he struggled with overtaking and interacting with cyclists on the roads.

“I tried to give cyclists as much space as possible, but seeing how other drivers interacted with them made me think about it more,” he said. “I saw drivers overtaking cyclists around corners and not giving them the 1.5m that’s required. Many drivers don’t respect the 1.5m rule, and the wind of a vehicle alone can be detrimental.”

Though he recognises dedicated infrastructure is the way forward, Cam believes that making cyclists more visible to motorists – which he believes will aid drivers’ “judgements” – will improve their safety and perhaps encourage more people to get on their bikes..

“Drivers have air bags, seat belts, and metal between them and the roads, but cyclists have nothing. They just have their bike, their helmet, and the tarmac beneath them,” Ibrahim notes.

“There have been times when I haven’t seen cyclists in my blind spot until the last moment, and my heart sinks when I realise what could have happened.

“Less experienced cyclists might not feel confident enough to cycle at the moment, but if they feel safer on the roads, then they will cycle.”

“Getting more people to cycle will reduce their carbon footprint and result in less congestion on the roads,” he adds. “The increase in fuel prices is making driving economically unsustainable for people, and cycling could now be an option for them.”

What do you reckon? Could Laser Lane provide a useful reminder to motorists to pass safely when there’s no cycling infra nearby? Or would a red line on the road be ignored just as readily as the Highway Code?

I sense a new slogan coming on: Laser beams are not protection…

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-20-june-2023-301991#live-blog-item-46661

Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ cycle lane:

<kfdi8kFq8a7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30110&group=uk.rec.cycling#30110

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Sick of close passes from drivers?
Create your own ‘laser’ cycle
lane:
Date: 20 Jun 2023 11:52:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:52 UTC

> Now, I’m not sure if you’ve noticed over the years, but here at road.cc
> we tend to talk a lot about close passes committed on cyclists by
> distracted, poor, or just downright dangerous drivers (believe it or not,
> there’s actually a whole series dedicated to this very thing. Who knew?).
>
> And we also chat quite a bit on the live blog about the need to introduce
> more, and better, cycling infrastructure to protect riders from this kind
> of perilous driving.?

Hint: No need for a full stop and a question mark. One or the other is
quite adequate.

> Anyway, an undergraduate student at Brunel University London reckons he’s
> come up with the perfect solution to these classic road.cc problems: by
> creating the ‘laser cycle lane’.
>
> Laser Lane, the brainchild of 23-year-old Ibrahim Cam, a final-year
> Industrial Design and Technology student at Brunel, allows a cyclist –
> through the touch of a button on their handlebars – to create two beams
> of light on the road 1.5 metres either side of them, indicating to
> passing drivers the recommended overtaking distance as noted in the Highway Code.
>
> Cam’s new product, which was unveiled at last week’s Made in Brunel
> exhibition, showcasing gadgets and devices designed by final year
> students at the university’s Design School, also features touch-activated
> indicators, as well as front and rear lights.
>
> “The laser lane is intended to increase the visibility of cyclists and to
> improve communication with other road users,” the student says.
>
> “The capacitive touch-activated front and rear lights are on the end of
> the handlebars so drivers can tell the true length of a bike, and the
> laser will show motorists the clearance that they must give cyclists.
>
> “The front lights are white and the rear lights are red, so drivers can
> tell if they are looking at the front or the rear of a bike.

White light at the front and a red light at the rear, so cyclists can tell
which way round the cycle is?

Bring it on!

> There is also a capacitive touch-activated indicator, so cyclists can
> clearly indicate when they are turning a corner.”

Indicate when turning a corner?

It’ll never catch on, surely?

> Cam says he was inspired to design Laser Lane after he started driving
> last year, when he says he struggled with overtaking and interacting with
> cyclists on the roads.

> “I tried to give cyclists as much space as possible, but seeing how other
> drivers interacted with them made me think about it more,” he said. “I
> saw drivers overtaking cyclists around corners and not giving them the
> 1.5m that’s required. Many drivers don’t respect the 1.5m rule, and the
> wind of a vehicle alone can be detrimental.”
>
> Though he recognises dedicated infrastructure is the way forward, Cam
> believes that making cyclists more visible to motorists – which he
> believes will aid drivers’ “judgements” – will improve their safety and
> perhaps encourage more people to get on their bikes.

> “Drivers have air bags, seat belts, and metal between them and the roads,
> but cyclists have nothing. They just have their bike, their helmet, and
> the tarmac beneath them,” Ibrahim notes.

> “There have been times when I haven’t seen cyclists in my blind spot
> until the last moment, and my heart sinks when I realise what could have happened.

> “Less experienced cyclists might not feel confident enough to cycle at
> the moment, but if they feel safer on the roads, then they will cycle.”
>
> “Getting more people to cycle will reduce their carbon footprint and
> result in less congestion on the roads,” he adds. “The increase in fuel
> prices is making driving economically unsustainable for people, and
> cycling could now be an option for them.”

Fuel prices at my local supermarket are the lowest they’ve been for some
time. Still, Cam only started driving last year.

> What do you reckon? Could Laser Lane provide a useful reminder to
> motorists to pass safely when there’s no cycling infra nearby? Or would a
> red line on the road be ignored just as readily as the Highway Code?

> I sense a new slogan coming on: Laser beams are not protection…

Well, the laser idea sounds like it’s right up there with helmets, hi viz,
lights front and rear, stopping at pedestrian crossings, cycling in cycle
lanes and the rest…

> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-20-june-2023-301991#live-blog-item-46661

road.cc? Ah well. What else did you expect? Sense?

--
Spike

Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ cycle lane:

<43f31363-7d01-46c3-b33c-27922536f020n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30113&group=uk.rec.cycling#30113

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 05:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Sick_of_close_passes_from_drivers?_Create_your_o
wn_‘laser’_cycle_lane:
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:36 UTC

Tom_77 replied to EK Spinner | 497 posts | 2 hours ago
0 likes

They're selling off old versions of the L-Bow light (link is external) cheap, so I've ordered one. I'm hoping it'll make my bike look a bit wider and drivers will give me a bit more room.

LOOKS GOOD!

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/Capture_87.JPG

Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your o wn ‘laser’ cycle lane:

<kfdoniFr797U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30120&group=uk.rec.cycling#30120

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Create your o wn ‘laser’
cycle lane:
Date: 20 Jun 2023 13:43:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:43 UTC

> Tom_77 replied to EK Spinner | 497 posts | 2 hours ago
> 0 likes
>
> They're selling off old versions of the L-Bow light (link is external)
> cheap, so I've ordered one. I'm hoping it'll make my bike look a bit
> wider and drivers will give me a bit more room.
>
> LOOKS GOOD!
>
> https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/Capture_87.JPG

Cyclist…cheap…sounds about right…

--
Spike

Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ cycle lane:

<060d29f9-c894-4755-9a26-83fbc99df24an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30124&group=uk.rec.cycling#30124

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 08:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
wn_‘laser’_cycle_lane:
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:34 UTC

Matthew Acton-Varian | 98 posts | 3 hours ago
2 likes

Helen Baron: "Excellent but now can I please have actual, metal-melting, paint-annihilating, Austin powers lasers."

Seconded here, Helen.

:-)

Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ chav-cycle lane:

<kfe3h3Fsq2sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30126&group=uk.rec.cycling#30126

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Sick_of_close_passes_from_drivers?_Create_your_ow
n ‘laser’ chav-cycle lane:
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:47:32 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 16:47 UTC

> Tom_77 replied to EK Spinner | 497 posts | 2 hours ago
> 0 likes
>
> They're selling off old versions of the L-Bow light (link is external) cheap, so I've ordered one. I'm hoping it'll make my fairy-bike look a bit wider and drivers will give me a bit more room.
>
> LOOKS GOOD!
>
> https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/Capture_87.JPG

What do the Construction and Use regulations say about non-standard lights?

Or doesn't it matter what they say 'cos you're a chav-on-a-bike and dead
'ard?

Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ cycle lane:

<ac160466-df6e-4070-8e86-314bfe05ff97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30130&group=uk.rec.cycling#30130

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:02:03 -0700 (PDT)
wn_‘laser’_cycle_lane:
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:02 UTC

PpPete replied to Matthew Acton-Varian | 103 posts | 4 hours ago
2 likes
I keep thinking a jersey that is very visibly sponsored by Nitromors and Super-Soaker might increase the passing distance well beyond the legal minimum.

:-)

Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ chav-cycle lane:

<kfef1kF1lrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30144&group=uk.rec.cycling#30144

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
n ‘laser’ chav-cycle lane:
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 21:04:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:04 UTC

> PpPete replied to Matthew Acton-Varian | 103 posts | 4 hours ago
> 2 likes
>
> I keep thinking a jersey that is very visibly sponsored by Nitromors and Super-Soaker might increase the passing distance well beyond the legal minimum.
>
> :-)

Why don't you try it?

Let us know how it goes.

Re: Sick of close passes from drivers? Create your own ‘laser’ cycle lane:

<d4988c72-055e-4119-9824-21e54d443fe9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30147&group=uk.rec.cycling#30147

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:07:23 -0700 (PDT)
wn_‘laser’_cycle_lane:
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:07 UTC

Seems the campaign for safer cycling infra is unnecessary - it would appear that @Halfords_uk
have developed a rear light that unequivocally works "to prevent drivers coming too close". #falseadvertising 😒
@carltonreid @Chris_Boardman

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EC_10hFXUAAxQKJ?format=jpg&name=small