Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:25:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Huge queues for Raleigh Chopper in Nottingham city centre as people
wait to buy brand new bike
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:25 UTC

Hundreds of bike enthusiasts turned out in the rain to get their hands on one of Raleigh's most iconic products. Thousands more queued online and waited for the website to go live at 12pm for their chance to purchase one of the brand new Raleigh Choppers, modelled on the iconic bike released in the 1970s.

People travelled from all over the country to descend on the Raleigh shop in Maid Marian Way on Tuesday, June 20. Heavy rain throughout the morning didn't dampen the mood as the store opened at 10am at the Raleigh Experience Centre - however some people decided to camp out and arrive as early as 6.30pm on Monday evening.

It was an amazing turn out to mark the return of an eagerly anticipated bike which has become synonymous with the city. Managing Director Lee Kidger told Nottinghamshire Live: "It always surprises us because of the amount of people who have come here - but what it really highlights is the community of the Raleigh brand and the love for the product.

"This is the most iconic bike ever produced and people travelling so far away is really heartwarming."

With original MK2 Choppers still selling for a fortune at auctions today, Raleigh fans have been demanding a new Chopper from the company for decades. And bringing the bike into 2023 has legally required a few minor tweaks, but the new Chopper is as close to the original as possible.

The bike is priced at £950 - and is on sale in the two original colours, Ultraviolet and Infrared. A description of the event on EventBrite stated: "On 20th June the Raleigh Experience Centre will open to the public at 12pm with brand new Raleigh Choppers in stock to take away on the day. As a friend of Raleigh, you are welcome to enter from 10am to purchase your Chopper early and catch up again with fellow enthusiasts.

"We want to give you priority but at the same time keep it fair to the general public, so please be advised that you will be limited to purchasing only one of each colour (Infra Red & Ultra Violet) during this early access event."

Re: Huge queues for Raleigh Chopper in Nottingham city centre as people wait to buy brand new chav-bike

<kfeiraFjhsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30164&group=uk.rec.cycling#30164

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Huge queues for Raleigh Chopper in Nottingham city centre as
people wait to buy brand new chav-bike
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:08:58 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 21:08 UTC

> Hundreds of bike enthusiasts turned out in the rain to get their hands on one of Raleigh's most iconic products. Thousands more queued online and waited for the website to go live at 12pm for their chance to purchase one of the brand new Raleigh Choppers, modelled on the iconic chav-bike released in the 1970s.
> People travelled from all over the country to descend on the Raleigh shop in Maid Marian Way on Tuesday, June 20. Heavy rain throughout the morning didn't dampen the mood as the store opened at 10am at the Raleigh Experience Centre - however some people decided to camp out and arrive as early as 6.30pm on Monday evening.

What was significant about Nottingham?

The product isn't made there.

Q: Where is it made?

A: In Vietnam.

Re: Huge queues for Raleigh Chopper in Nottingham city centre as people wait to buy brand new bike

<kfels2F12naU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30171&group=uk.rec.cycling#30171

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Huge queues for Raleigh Chopper in Nottingham city
centre as people wait to buy brand new bike
Date: 20 Jun 2023 22:00:34 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:00 UTC

> Hundreds of bike enthusiasts turned out in the rain to get their hands on
> one of Raleigh's most iconic products. Thousands more queued online and
> waited for the website to go live at 12pm for their chance to purchase
> one of the brand new Raleigh Choppers, modelled on the iconic bike released in the 1970s.

QUOTE

By 2003, assembly of bicycles had ended in the UK with 280 assembly and
factory staff made redundant, and bicycles were to come "from Vietnam and
other centres of 'low-cost, high-quality' production."[33] with final
assembly taking place in Cloppenburg, Germany.

In 2012, Derby agreed to be acquired by Pon Holdings, a Dutch company, as
part of their new bicycle group.[35] and buyout terms were agreed in
2012.[36]

In April 2012, Raleigh UK, Canada and USA were acquired by a separate Dutch
group Accell for £62m (US$100m), whose portfolio included the Lapierre and
Ghost bicycle brands.[37]

ENDQUOTE

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleigh_Bicycle_Company>

--
Spike

Re: Huge queues for Raleigh Chopper in Nottingham city centre as people wait to buy brand new bike

<c2bb859d-b8de-446d-9977-c4f672844631n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30173&group=uk.rec.cycling#30173

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 22:14:41 -0700 (PDT)
people wait to buy brand new bike
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 05:14 UTC

QUOTE: Heavy rain throughout the morning didn't dampen the mood as the store opened at 10am at the Raleigh Experience Centre - however some people decided to camp out and arrive as early as 6.30pm on Monday evening. ENDS

How odd - I'm sure the cycle haters insist that rain is like Kryptonite to the riders which makes them all vanish into thin air.