Most people feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement andswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavementJNugent
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mountedSpike
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavementswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mountedSpike
`* Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavementSimon Mason

1
Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

<813e9056-b182-47ab-b2c6-7e5b2c0b49bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30216&group=uk.rec.cycling#30216

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 08:33:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and
drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:33 UTC

This Near Miss of the Day footage shows the moment an Oxfordshire cyclist was forced to emergency brake on wet roads to avoid a collision with a driver overtaking a bus, only for the motorist to then continue driving forwards, up onto the pavement and making contact with the surprised rider while pushing past.

road.cc reader Tom has since made a complaint to the professional standards department of Thames Valley Police about the handling of the case after his initial report resulted in the driver being "officially warned for careless driving".

During that process the driver denied receiving any paperwork, something TVP acknowledged they had experienced postal problems with in the past, and ultimately received a phone call warning from an officer instead and was offered a place on a course.

The incident happened on 14 January 2023 as Tom cycled to work in Oxford through Abingdon and was reported online the same day...

"The initial pulling round the bus was careless, the driving at me, was in my view totally deliberate and reckless in the extreme," he explained. "I pulled an emergency stop on wet roads at 30km/h.

"I managed to stop about 60cm from the front bumper of the car. So far I think that was careless driving. However, what happened next is, in my view, a deliberate act by the driver. He mounted the pavement and sped off, colliding with me in the process.

"The response from Thames Valley Police is copied below. As you can see, the driver admitted to it, but no further action was taken. I was unhappy with this and so a course was offered to the driver which they have taken at their own expense. No criminal action taken.

"As you can imagine I am not happy with that outcome. The initial outcome is, in my view, a total let off for the driver. Even a course is a let off. He drove a car at me, hit me, mounted the pavement on the off side of the road in relation to him and drove off and has escaped any form of criminal sanction whatsoever."

The incident was so bad, Tom said, that he called 999 at the scene and reported a collision but was told to report it online as it was a traffic incident. Having submitted the footage online, Tom then called TVP within two weeks, fearing that the 14-day deadline for a notice of intended prosecution may pass unanswered.

"They said that as a collision occurred, the 14-day rule did not apply," he explained. "The reply from TVP is on the 23/3/23, two months after the incident."

Tom was told by TVP:

Regarding the Range Rover incident, sorry for the delay, I spoke to the driver yesterday, who denies receiving any paper work from us, which we know there has been a problem with the post, so I emailed him a copy, it was then I noticed that the location on your google map location on the report was in Campion Close not Radley Road, also not sure if you are aware your camera is six years behind, discussed with a decision maker and we have officially warned the driver for careless driving.

I did also point out on the phone to him, about looking out for cyclists, he did apologise and says he will learn from his mistakes.

Tom continued: "I have made a complaint to the professional standards department of TVP about the handling of this case. That complaint was made on the 31/3/2023.

"They are totally overwhelmed and I have absolutely zero expectations of a meaningful response. I received a holding letter from them in the last week telling me it is still pending."

road.cc contacted Thames Valley Police for comment and the force confirmed as the complaint is ongoing "we wouldn't comment on any aspect as it would be inappropriate to do so".

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-868-302027

Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into chav-cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

<kfgl04Fac8nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30219&group=uk.rec.cycling#30219

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement
and drove into chav-cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:57:57 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:57 UTC

> This Near Miss of the Day footage shows the moment an Oxfordshire chav-cyclist was forced to emergency brake on wet roads to avoid a collision with a driver overtaking a bus, only for the motorist to then continue driving forwards, up onto the pavement and making contact with the surprised rider while pushing past.
> road.cc reader Tom has since made a complaint to the professional standards department of Thames Valley Police about the handling of the case after his initial report resulted in the driver being "officially warned for careless driving".

Vindictive, much?

> During that process the driver denied receiving any paperwork, something TVP acknowledged they had experienced postal problems with in the past, and ultimately received a phone call warning from an officer instead and was offered a place on a course.
> The incident happened on 14 January 2023 as Tom fairy-cycled to work in Oxford through Abingdon and was reported online the same day...
> "The initial pulling round the bus was careless, the driving at me, was in my view totally deliberate and reckless in the extreme," he explained. "I pulled an emergency stop on wet roads at 30km/h.
> "I managed to stop about 60cm from the front bumper of the car. So far I think that was careless driving. However, what happened next is, in my view, a deliberate act by the driver. He mounted the pavement and sped off, colliding with me in the process.
> "The response from Thames Valley Police is copied below. As you can see, the driver admitted to it, but no further action was taken. I was unhappy with this and so a course was offered to the driver which they have taken at their own expense. No criminal action taken.
>
> "As you can imagine I am not happy with that outcome.

Yes. Chav-cyclist vindictiveness is all too easily imagined.

> The initial outcome is, in my view, a total let off for the driver. Even a course is a let off. He drove a car at me, hit me, mounted the pavement on the off side of the road in relation to him and drove off and has escaped any form of criminal sanction whatsoever."

What sanction should a chav-cyclist suffer for chav-cycling on the footway?

> The incident was so bad, Tom said, that he called 999 at the scene and reported a collision but was told to report it online as it was a traffic incident. Having submitted the footage online, Tom then called TVP within two weeks, fearing that the 14-day deadline for a notice of intended prosecution may pass unanswered.
> "They said that as a collision occurred, the 14-day rule did not apply," he explained. "The reply from TVP is on the 23/3/23, two months after the incident."
> Tom was told by TVP:
> Regarding the Range Rover incident, sorry for the delay, I spoke to the driver yesterday, who denies receiving any paper work from us, which we know there has been a problem with the post, so I emailed him a copy, it was then I noticed that the location on your google map location on the report was in Campion Close not Radley Road, also not sure if you are aware your camera is six years behind, discussed with a decision maker and we have officially warned the driver for careless driving.
> I did also point out on the phone to him, about looking out for chav-cyclists, he did apologise and says he will learn from his mistakes.
> Tom continued: "I have made a complaint to the professional standards department of TVP about the handling of this case. That complaint was made on the 31/3/2023.
> "They are totally overwhelmed and I have absolutely zero expectations of a meaningful response. I received a holding letter from them in the last week telling me it is still pending."
> road.cc contacted Thames Valley Police for comment and the force confirmed as the complaint is ongoing "we wouldn't comment on any aspect as it would be inappropriate to do so".

> https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-868-302027

And yet some people continue to insist - quite unconvincingly - that
chav-cyclists are not vindictive sods.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

<kfgm8bFai4oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30223&group=uk.rec.cycling#30223

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted
Date: 21 Jun 2023 16:19:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:19 UTC

QUOTE

I noticed that the location on your google map location on the report was
in Campion Close not Radley Road, also not sure if you are aware your
camera is six years behind…

ENDQUOTE

oops…

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

<f26a41ad-d30a-4bfb-ae5d-e9150564060dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30229&group=uk.rec.cycling#30229

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:40:10 -0700 (PDT)
and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:40 UTC

AidanR wrote:

Let's be crystal clear, the danger for the pedestrian on the footpath was created by the driver, not the cyclist.

I couldn't agree more with this, without such a shitty driver in first place, no danger would have occured.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

<kfgpklFb292U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30234&group=uk.rec.cycling#30234

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Jun 2023 17:17:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:17 UTC

> AidanR wrote:
>
> Let's be crystal clear, the danger for the pedestrian on the footpath
> was created by the driver, not the cyclist.
>
> I couldn't agree more with this, without such a shitty driver in first
> place, no danger would have occured.

The video suggests that the cyclist failed to anticipate the situation,
leading him to leave his braking rather late.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

<73e83757-5de5-4767-ab29-5d4fb9a34c37n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30236&group=uk.rec.cycling#30236

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:21:02 -0700 (PDT)
and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:21 UTC

QUOTE:
I do not know about that. Essex people aren't very renowned for their temperaments, but perhaps I am wrong as I have only ridden on the closed road Ride London there. ENDS

Spot on - Brextard central is Essex. Home of the thick and chavs.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

<kfh62kFcuioU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30239&group=uk.rec.cycling#30239

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Jun 2023 20:49:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:49 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE:
> I do not know about that. Essex people aren't very renowned for their
> temperaments, but perhaps I am wrong as I have only ridden on the closed
> road Ride London there. ENDS

> Spot on - Brextard central is Essex. Home of the thick and chavs.

“Essex. Home of the thick and chavs”…says the guy from Hull…

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 868: Warning for driver who mounted pavement and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision

<a06d7ff5-7d09-40cf-bd21-6a9fda787550n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30241&group=uk.rec.cycling#30241

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
and drove into cyclist after rider's emergency stop to avoid collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:58 UTC

On Wednesday, June 21, 2023 at 6:21:04 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE:
> I do not know about that. Essex people aren't very renowned for their temperaments, but perhaps I am wrong as I have only ridden on the closed road Ride London there. ENDS
>
> Spot on - Brextard central is Essex. Home of the thick and chavs.

An all Brextard audience on BBC QT tomorrow night.
Will be a laugh an attosecond. :-)

"Do what - send these darkies back to Africa."