I am NOT a kludge! I am a computer! -- tts

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022.

SubjectAuthor
* Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effectswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that cameSpike
+* Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came intoswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came intoJNugent
+- Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came intoJNugent
`- Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came intoswldx...@gmail.com

1
Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022.

<888e3a35-11fe-4cfd-ade9-85e3cd07b956n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30402&group=uk.rec.cycling#30402

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 11:44:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effect
in June 2022.
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 18:44 UTC

Paul Watson, 39, of Church Lane, Normanton was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today (Friday) to seven and a half years imprisonment and disqualified from driving for 10 years after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, driving whilst over the drink drive limit and driving whilst over the specified drug limit.

Terrance Keye, 53, was killed on Friday, February 10, whilst cycling home from work on Wakefield Road, Normanton.

He was struck by Watson’s Ford Transit Connect van at an estimated speed of 55mph.

Watson was twice the legal limit of cocaine and one and a half times over the drink drive limit, with CCTV from before the collision showing him driving on the wrong side of the road and at excessive speed.

Detective Constable Simon Marshall, from the Major Collision Enquiry Team, said “Terrance was cycling home that evening, he was wearing reflective clothing and had lights on his bike.

"He did everything right.

"Watson, on the other hand, did everything wrong. He chose to drive whilst over the alcohol limit, he chose to drive whilst over the drug drive limit and he chose to drive dangerously. Terrance wasn’t able to make any choices."

In a Victim Personal Statement, Terrance’s mother said: “On the night of 10 February, two police officers came to my door to tell me that my only son, Terry had been killed.

"That night my life stopped. I will never hear his key in my door again and saying ‘Mother, it’s only me’. No one will ever know the devastation and grief I am feeling every minute, every hour of every day and night.”

Sergeant Mick Kilburn, also from the Major Collision Enquiry Team, added: “Watson is the first person in West Yorkshire to be dealt with under the new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022. He was previously of good character having never been arrested before. We welcome the lengthy sentence and hope that this sends a message out that dangerous, and drink or drug driving will be dealt with seriously.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank the officers who worked tirelessly in the days following this collision, making sure that Watson was no longer a danger to the public. Their hard work and dedication has resulted in a selfish and dangerous driver being imprisoned for a significant period of time.

“I would also like to pay tribute to Terrance’s family, who have had to deal with this devastating incident. Our thoughts remain with them at this difficult time, and I hope that today will allow them some closure on a tragic, yet avoidable, incident.

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/crime/speeding-normanton-driver-who-killed-cyclist-while-over-drink-and-drugs-limit-jailed-4195447

Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022.

<kfmbv1F6uofU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30404&group=uk.rec.cycling#30404

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came
into effect in June 2022.
Date: 23 Jun 2023 20:00:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 20:00 UTC

I’ve seen this somewhere before…

--
Spike

Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022.

<b3f04efb-39e6-4a0e-b938-138b8d1026b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30405&group=uk.rec.cycling#30405

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 13:34:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into
effect in June 2022.
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 20:34 UTC

QUOTE: Sergeant Mick Kilburn, also from the Major Collision Enquiry Team, added: “Watson is the first person in West Yorkshire to be dealt with under the new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022. We welcome the lengthy sentence and hope that this sends a message out that dangerous, and drink or drug driving will be dealt with seriously. ENDS

QUOTE: Normanton was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today (Friday) to seven and a half years imprisonment and disqualified from driving for 10 years. ENDS

That will amount to a de facto 17.5 years driving ban - the new guidelines are looking decent for a change.
More please.

Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022.

<kfmjitF831bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30406&group=uk.rec.cycling#30406

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
effect in June 2022.
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 23:10:36 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 22:10 UTC

> Paul Watson, 39, of Church Lane, Normanton was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today (Friday) to seven and a half years imprisonment and disqualified from driving for 10 years after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, driving whilst over the drink drive limit and driving whilst over the specified drug limit.

That (from you or anyone else) is total CRAP.

Those offences were already punishable by imprisonment.

Why do you feel the need to lie so much?

> Terrance Keye, 53, was killed on Friday, February 10, whilst cycling home from work on Wakefield Road, Normanton.
> He was struck by Watson’s Ford Transit Connect van at an estimated speed of 55mph.
> Watson was twice the legal limit of cocaine and one and a half times over the drink drive limit, with CCTV from before the collision showing him driving on the wrong side of the road and at excessive speed.
> Detective Constable Simon Marshall, from the Major Collision Enquiry Team, said “Terrance was cycling home that evening, he was wearing reflective clothing and had lights on his bike.
> "He did everything right.

DC Marshall cannot actually know that because he is taking account of
relatively few factors.

> "Watson, on the other hand, did everything wrong. He chose to drive whilst over the alcohol limit, he chose to drive whilst over the drug drive limit and he chose to drive dangerously. Terrance wasn’t able to make any choices."
> In a Victim Personal Statement, Terrance’s mother said: “On the night of 10 February, two police officers came to my door to tell me that my only son, Terry had been killed.
> "That night my life stopped. I will never hear his key in my door again and saying ‘Mother, it’s only me’. No one will ever know the devastation and grief I am feeling every minute, every hour of every day and night.”
> Sergeant Mick Kilburn, also from the Major Collision Enquiry Team, added: “Watson is the first person in West Yorkshire to be dealt with under the new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022. He was previously of good character having never been arrested before. We welcome the lengthy sentence and hope that this sends a message out that dangerous, and drink or drug driving will be dealt with seriously.
> “I would like to take this opportunity to thank the officers who worked tirelessly in the days following this collision, making sure that Watson was no longer a danger to the public. Their hard work and dedication has resulted in a selfish and dangerous driver being imprisoned for a significant period of time.
> “I would also like to pay tribute to Terrance’s family, who have had to deal with this devastating incident. Our thoughts remain with them at this difficult time, and I hope that today will allow them some closure on a tragic, yet avoidable, incident.

> https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/crime/speeding-normanton-driver-who-killed-cyclist-while-over-drink-and-drugs-limit-jailed-4195447

Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022.

<kfmjk1F831bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30407&group=uk.rec.cycling#30407

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
effect in June 2022.
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 23:11:13 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 22:11 UTC

> QUOTE: Sergeant Mick Kilburn, also from the Major Collision Enquiry Team, added: “Watson is the first person in West Yorkshire to be dealt with under the new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022. We welcome the lengthy sentence and hope that this sends a message out that dangerous, and drink or drug driving will be dealt with seriously. ENDS
>
> QUOTE: Normanton was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today (Friday) to seven and a half years imprisonment and disqualified from driving for 10 years. ENDS
>
> That will amount to a de facto 17.5 years driving ban

Prove it.

Re: Driver jailed under new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022.

<e7215488-ca3e-4d4b-9d1a-348c38d0cd0cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30409&group=uk.rec.cycling#30409

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 22:00:34 -0700 (PDT)
effect in June 2022.
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 05:00 UTC

I don't think previous bad behaviour makes the slightest difference anyway. Sir Harry Djanogly was just banned after getting 19 points for different speeding offences. Apparently no one noticed when he got to 12 or even 16 points!

He'd previously got away with injuring a policeman who tried to stop him (for speeding naturally) by taking them for a ride on his Jaguars bonnet in 2015 and was banned for getting 12 points (guess what for) in 2021. On top of that he's still got a couple of speeding cases waiting to be heard!

I'm sure he and his ex solicitor, ex Under-Secretary at the Ministry of Justice and current MP son will have a good laugh about it at the next lodge meeting.