Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 05:41:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Paisley shopkeeper could face jail time for mowing down teen cyclist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 12:41 UTC

A Paisley shopkeeper could be facing a jail sentence after he deliberately mowed down a 15-year-old on his bike.

Abdul Ibrahami pursued the teenage cyclist in a Volkswagen Touran “at speed” on April 16 last year in Paisley’s George Street.

Paisley Sheriff Court was shown CCTV footage which captured the horrific incident.

The footage shows the 31-year-old leave his shop in the town’s High Street and get into his car where he drives through a give way junction without giving way to other road users.

Out of control, Ibrahami then mounts the pavement in a pedestrianised area and strikes the boy on his bike.

Ibrahami, of Caledonia Road in Glasgow, is then seen to seize the boy and shout at him.

Shouting and swearing can be heard on the CCTV and it also shows a member of the public stopping at the scene in their car.

Cops arrested the driver and held him in custody over the Easter weekend to appear at the town’s court in connection with the matter.

Ibrahami admitted to assaulting the child by pursuing him at speed and striking him with the vehicle to his injury.

He also pleaded guilty to motoring offences including dangerously driving through a give way junction and driving without a valid licence.

Procurator fiscal depute Dana Barclay asked the court to ban Ibrahami from driving when sentencing.

Sheriff Eoin McGinty slammed Ibrahami, stating: “This is an exceptionally serious matter.

“Don’t read into the fact I am granting you bail today.

“Your driving was clearly reprehensible and you deliberately drove at a young man on a bicycle.

“Other jurisdictions would have this as attempted murder – that’s the area you are in.

“I will defer sentence for reports to consider all options available to me, custody will be one of those options.

“If you come back and the report isn’t done, and it’s your fault, I’ll remand you in custody for that.”

Sentencing was adjourned for the preparation of a criminal justice social work report and a restriction of liberty order assessment.

Abdul Ibrahami will return to Paisley Sheriff Court for sentencing on July 14 and had his bail order continued meantime.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/paisley-shopkeeper-could-face-jail-30322327