Now is the time for all good men to come to. -- Walt Kelly

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Tidings of Joy

SubjectAuthor
* Tidings of JoySn!pe
+* Re: Tidings of JoyThe Nomad
|`* Re: Tidings of JoySn!pe
| +* Re: Tidings of JoySam Plusnet
| |`- Re: Tidings of JoyAhem A Rivet's Shot
| `* Re: Tidings of JoyHymermut
|  `- Re: Tidings of JoyPeter
+- Re: Tidings of JoyNicholas D. Richards
+* Re: Tidings of JoyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|+* Re: Tidings of Joyhubops
||`- Re: Tidings of JoyAhem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Re: Tidings of JoyHymermut
+* Re: Tidings of JoyPeter
|`- Re: Tidings of JoyJohn Williamson
+* Re: Tidings of JoyMike Fleming
|`- Re: Tidings of JoyNicholas D. Richards
`- Re: Tidings of JoyBrian Gaff

1
Tidings of Joy

<1qm8obl.1sbgl6e11vo2yrN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30108&group=uk.rec.sheds#30108

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Tidings of Joy
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17:02 +0000
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17 UTC

Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.

Very fortunately I managed to catch the boss of our CH installers at
9 a.m., just before he went out to have fun on his own Xmyth Eve.
The excellent fellow has his head in our boiler as I write this at 11.
So far he's still in fault finding mode rather than fault fixing but I
have every confidence in him.

There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
escapes me just now.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon doesn't mind the cold.

Re: Tidings of Joy

<dCUhN.846258$QoTa.207628@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30109&group=uk.rec.sheds#30109

From: nomad@the.desert.invalid (The Nomad)
Subject: Re: Tidings of Joy
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:29:13 GMT
 by: The Nomad - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:29 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17:02 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
> Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.
>
> Very fortunately I managed to catch the boss of our CH installers at 9
> a.m., just before he went out to have fun on his own Xmyth Eve.
> The excellent fellow has his head in our boiler as I write this at 11.
> So far he's still in fault finding mode rather than fault fixing but I
> have every confidence in him.
>
> There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
> escapes me just now.

GL!

Need to get the Yule log on early?

Avpx

--
Looking into Granny's eyes was like looking into a mirror. What you saw
looking back at you was yourself, and there was no hiding place.

Re: Tidings of Joy

<wZ0TONA92BilFAYU@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30111&group=uk.rec.sheds#30111

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:02:05 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:02 UTC

In article <1qm8obl.1sbgl6e11vo2yrN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snipeco.2@gmail.com> on Sun, 24 Dec 2023 at 11:17:02 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
>Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.
>
>Very fortunately I managed to catch the boss of our CH installers at
>9 a.m., just before he went out to have fun on his own Xmyth Eve.
>The excellent fellow has his head in our boiler as I write this at 11.
>So far he's still in fault finding mode rather than fault fixing but I
>have every confidence in him.
>
>There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
>escapes me just now.

What is it about boilers and water in general. If a boiler is going to
stop working on me or a pipe is going to develop a leak, it will happen
on the eve of a Bank Holiday.

One Easter Sunday morning I woke up to the sound of a torrent of water
in the kitchen. The half in rising main (lead) which fed the header tank
for the whole block of flats had a 2 inch split in it.

I am eyeing my cooker ATM; only just bought it, a fancy convection/grill
/microwave/steamer, so plenty to go wrong.

Hopefully a simple, no parts required, solution will be found and Sn!pey
will soon be toasting his chestnuts by the radiator.

Wishing you a Merry and W@rm(!) Christmas.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Tidings of Joy

<20231224123511.813c12acbe9682e59cc67ea6@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30114&group=uk.rec.sheds#30114

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:35:11 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:35 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17:02 +0000
snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
> Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.
>
> Very fortunately I managed to catch the boss of our CH installers at
> 9 a.m., just before he went out to have fun on his own Xmyth Eve.

Jryy qbar that sheddi.

> There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
> escapes me just now.

The machines are going on strike! My clutch release bearing went
yesterday leaving me immobile in the middle of a very busy Listowel.
Alcoholics Anonymous[2] got me out of there, dropped me at home and the
car at my local mechanic - I doubt it will get fixed this year.

[2] The towing widget they have in their vans now is very nifty.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Tidings of Joy

<f1ggoil7t0q0gc7965qih0tbm7sl32t53t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30117&group=uk.rec.sheds#30117

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:33:52 -0500
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:33 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:35:11 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot
<steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17:02 +0000
>snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
>> Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
>> Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.
>>
>> Very fortunately I managed to catch the boss of our CH installers at
>> 9 a.m., just before he went out to have fun on his own Xmyth Eve.
>
> Jryy qbar that sheddi.
>
>> There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
>> escapes me just now.
>
> The machines are going on strike! My clutch release bearing went
>yesterday leaving me immobile in the middle of a very busy Listowel.
>Alcoholics Anonymous[2] got me out of there, dropped me at home and the
>car at my local mechanic - I doubt it will get fixed this year.
>
>[2] The towing widget they have in their vans now is very nifty.

1. Is that sometimes called the throw-out bearing ?
b. Don't they usually give about a month's notice of failure ?
or more.

Happy Repairs to all, and to all a good Bill.
< invoice, not William >
John T.

Re: Tidings of Joy

<XnsB0E49D4CA448DFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30118&group=uk.rec.sheds#30118

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:27:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:27 UTC

snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote in news:1qm8obl.1sbgl6e11vo2yrN%snipeco.2
@gmail.com:

> Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
> Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.

Our boiler's been making funny noises and last night we found a slow leak in
a radiator coupling. So we might be in the same predicidicament soon.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Tidings of Joy

<kur233FtqakU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30119&group=uk.rec.sheds#30119

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:46:42 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:46 UTC

On 24/12/2023 15:27, Peter wrote:
> snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote in news:1qm8obl.1sbgl6e11vo2yrN%snipeco.2
> @gmail.com:
>
>> Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
>> Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.
>>

> Our boiler's been making funny noises and last night we found a slow leak in
> a radiator coupling. So we might be in the same predicidicament soon.

The joys of life on a smallish boat. If the heating stove goes wrong, I
can keep warm enough with the fan heater. If all else fails, then a
couple of rings on the cooker hob or the oven do the job pretty well.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Tidings of Joy

<20231224155053.9b921a6897d48eb5aea5ffda@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30120&group=uk.rec.sheds#30120

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:50:53 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 15:50 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 09:33:52 -0500
hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 12:35:11 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot
> <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>
> > The machines are going on strike! My clutch release bearing went
> >yesterday leaving me immobile in the middle of a very busy Listowel.
> >Alcoholics Anonymous[2] got me out of there, dropped me at home and the
> >car at my local mechanic - I doubt it will get fixed this year.
> >
> >[2] The towing widget they have in their vans now is very nifty.
> >

> 1. Is that sometimes called the throw-out bearing ?

Yes it is.

> b. Don't they usually give about a month's notice of failure ?
> or more.

That's what I gooved when it started squealing and juddering a
couple of days ago

> Happy Repairs to all, and to all a good Bill.
> < invoice, not William >

Hmm now that reminds me of a fun moment in Germany when the person
I was with decided to ask for the bill - not being a German speaker he used
a pocket calculator sized translator (really no more than an electronic
dictionary) and did his best to pronounce what it showed. It's a pity that
he wasn't asking for an invoice or a William but rather a duck's bill.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Tidings of Joy

<1qm9aaq.3z5iv5h28ysfN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30122&group=uk.rec.sheds#30122

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:47:36 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:47 UTC

The Nomad <nomad@the.desert.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17:02 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
> > Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
> > Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.
> >
> > Very fortunately I managed to catch the boss of our CH installers at 9
> > a.m., just before he went out to have fun on his own Xmyth Eve.
> > The excellent fellow has his head in our boiler as I write this at 11.
> > So far he's still in fault finding mode rather than fault fixing but I
> > have every confidence in him.
> >
> > There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
> > escapes me just now.
>
> GL!
>
> Need to get the Yule log on early?
>
> Avpx

Luck was on our side (phew!)

It turned out that the fault is in the conservatory underfloor heating,
a separate zone from the rest of the house. Mr Fixit (to whom I am
extremely grateful) was able to isolate that zone so that the rest of
the system works again. He'll come back in the New Year to actually
fix the fault; meanwhile we can use the log-burner in there. Xmyth is
saved and so is my bacon.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon wishes Happy Mithras to all Usenetters.

Re: Tidings of Joy

<mJFiN.96534$xHn7.41922@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30159&group=uk.rec.sheds#30159

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:21:52 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:21 UTC

On 24-Dec-23 18:47, Sn!pe wrote:
> The Nomad <nomad@the.desert.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17:02 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>>
>>> Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
>>> Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.
>>>
>>> Very fortunately I managed to catch the boss of our CH installers at 9
>>> a.m., just before he went out to have fun on his own Xmyth Eve.
>>> The excellent fellow has his head in our boiler as I write this at 11.
>>> So far he's still in fault finding mode rather than fault fixing but I
>>> have every confidence in him.
>>>
>>> There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
>>> escapes me just now.
>>
>> GL!
>>
>> Need to get the Yule log on early?
>>
>> Avpx
>
> Luck was on our side (phew!)
>
> It turned out that the fault is in the conservatory underfloor heating,
> a separate zone from the rest of the house. Mr Fixit (to whom I am
> extremely grateful) was able to isolate that zone so that the rest of
> the system works again. He'll come back in the New Year to actually
> fix the fault; meanwhile we can use the log-burner in there. Xmyth is
> saved and so is my bacon.

That's the trouble with these 'ere moddun systems. So complex there are
so many 'bits' all queuing up to go wrong.
Ours is not too efficient, but there's sod all to go wrong with it.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Tidings of Joy

<20231226201242.169e745c3d2c03fe037d92af@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30160&group=uk.rec.sheds#30160

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:12:42 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:12 UTC

On Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:21:52 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> That's the trouble with these 'ere moddun systems. So complex there are
> so many 'bits' all queuing up to go wrong.
> Ours is not too efficient, but there's sod all to go wrong with it.

I went with a compromise.

Modern: Pellet burner and 500l thermal store - easy to add other sources eg.
heat pump, scrap burner and/or solar thermal panels for use in parallel. Now
where did I see those tuits and spare zbarl.

Not so much: Single heating circuit (parallel rads - that bits modern) and
TRVs on the rads - no central control.

Slightly odd: Heating pump is controlled by a one hour timer switch,
twiddle knob to dump up to one hour of heat into house provided its
available in the tank. I find it convenient.

Nine years in - still happy with the decisions.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Tidings of Joy

<umhb4j$3ui2j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30171&group=uk.rec.sheds#30171

From: tone@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:08:19 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:08 UTC

On 24/12/2023 12:35, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:17:02 +0000
> snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
>> Deepest Joy, our boiler has gone on strike overnight. Xmyth Eve at
>> Sn!pe's End is presently a bit bloomin' parky.
>>
>> Very fortunately I managed to catch the boss of our CH installers at
>> 9 a.m., just before he went out to have fun on his own Xmyth Eve.
>
> Jryy qbar that sheddi.
>
>> There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
>> escapes me just now.
>
> The machines are going on strike! My clutch release bearing went
> yesterday leaving me immobile in the middle of a very busy Listowel.
> Alcoholics Anonymous[2] got me out of there, dropped me at home and the
> car at my local mechanic - I doubt it will get fixed this year.
>
> [2] The towing widget they have in their vans now is very nifty.

Yes, The AA were very helpful when my clutch failed for the second time,
on the Leeds Outer Ring Road! Not so the first time when it failed in a
car wash. Five hours before they reached me, cos I was off-road in a
safe place and they was busy.

So, if your car breaks down in a safe place, push it out into the miggle
of a roundabout, or summat!

Tone

Re: Tidings of Joy

<umhb88$3ui2j$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30173&group=uk.rec.sheds#30173

From: tone@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:10:16 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:10 UTC

On 24/12/2023 18:47, Sn!pe wrote:
> It turned out that the fault is in the conservatory underfloor heating,
> a separate zone from the rest of the house. Mr Fixit (to whom I am
> extremely grateful) was able to isolate that zone so that the rest of
> the system works again. He'll come back in the New Year to actually
> fix the fault; meanwhile we can use the log-burner in there. Xmyth is
> saved and so is my bacon.

You have a good man there. Treasure him!

Tone

Re: Tidings of Joy

<XnsB0E79EF952B12Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30180&group=uk.rec.sheds#30180

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:37:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 15:37 UTC

Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote in news:umhb88$3ui2j$3@dont-email.me:

> On 24/12/2023 18:47, Sn!pe wrote:
>> Mr Fixit (to whom I am
>> extremely grateful) was able to isolate that zone so that the rest of
>> the system works again. He'll come back in the New Year to actually
>> fix the fault; meanwhile we can use the log-burner in there. Xmyth is
>> saved and so is my bacon.
>
> You have a good man there. Treasure him!

I acquired a good man this afternoon. Leaking radiator so called a chap out
from Checkatrade. He took a couple of minutes to tighten up the joint and
declined to charge me, even for the call-out (though I pressed a note on
him). His number has gone into my phonebook.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Tidings of Joy

<kv6ms8Fe1gdU14@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30207&group=uk.rec.sheds#30207

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:48:53 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 01:48 UTC

On 24/12/2023 11:17, Sn!pe wrote:
> There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
> escapes me just now.

Don't ever be a boiler repair man?

Re: Tidings of Joy

<tjv0wfAUvrjlFAQT@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30219&group=uk.rec.sheds#30219

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:30:12 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:30 UTC

In article <kv6ms8Fe1gdU14@mid.individual.net>, Mike Fleming
<mike@tauzero.co.uk> on Fri, 29 Dec 2023 at 01:48:53 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 24/12/2023 11:17, Sn!pe wrote:
>> There's probably a moral to this tale of woe but whatever it may be
>> escapes me just now.
>
>Don't ever be a boiler repair man?

Better to employ a boiler repair man (and be nice to her/him) than to
let a Meerkat's friend near the boiler.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Tidings of Joy

<unr70g$3efkq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30553&group=uk.rec.sheds#30553

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 11:15:26 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 11:15 UTC

Maybe still fit hearths and the ability to burn stuff.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...