She's so tough she won't take 'yes' for an answer.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

SubjectAuthor
* "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"Spike
+* Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"swldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"swldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"Spike
| `- Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"swldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"JNugent
|`- Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"Spike
`* Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"swldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"JNugent
 `- Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"Spike

1
"All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<3d4a6d2c-0d5f-450e-bb7d-44f5e8c9dc17n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30687&group=uk.rec.cycling#30687

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 14:02:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 21:02 UTC

Is this the first time that paint on roads has been of any use to cyclists?

If you've been a road.cc live blog regular, you'd know that's not true. Because we have seen at least one more instance like this where fellow cyclists had to look out for each other, and warn about areas prone to not only bikejackings, but also being a risk to personal safety.

This latest public service graffiti can be found on Lea Bridge Road in Waltham Forest, London, with the text: "Bike muggings on the bridge ahead" (the text is upside-down, I know; more on that in a bit).

Mariam Sayed of JoyRiders, a charity which helps women take up or get back into cycling, who posted this image on Twitter said that this area was a "well known problem spot amongst local cyclists but why isn’t anything being done about this to make us feel safer?".

It feels a little depressing to see instances like this (apologies for being a downer on the Tour de France eve). As Twitter user Alex said: "What a perfectly normal thing to see in a normal country with a normally working police and justice system".

Bike robberies are scary, and have worryingly been on the rise. Earlier this month, Richmond Park MP Sarah Olney accused the Conservative Government of “effectively decriminalising bike theft”. Data uncovered by the Liberal Democrats showed that almost 90 per cent of cases were closed by the police with no suspect identified, while a thief gets charged in just 1.7 per cent of incidents.

Another Twitter user wrote: "That bridge has been a muggers paradise for years", while another London cyclist wrote: "Stick to the road. All round safer".

So basically it's either stay on the cycle path and ride in fear of getting robbed, or stick to the roads and get told off for not being on the cycle path. Got it.

Councillor Greg Collins of the Green Party, from Wealden District Council seemed to nail it on the head (bad phrase considering the topic?): "Surely you know that all it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer? At least that's what half the Highways teams in England seem to think."

If that's too much of a downer, take a brief minute out to chuckle at the way the message is written bottom-to-up, instead of top-to-down. Turns out that's how they do it over in the 'murica, and even some EU countries?

Also, a wild reimagining of the Star Wars opening crawl if the person behind this graffiti was in charge of the visuals for the sci-fi space capers, instead of Mr George Lucas.

Last year, a similar graffiti on the entrance to a section of Cycleway 10 near The Den, Millwall Football Club’s stadium, in south east London came our way from Facebook, following concerns over the path’s safety as reports poured in of robberies and muggings by “masked men” in recent months.

In fact, local cyclist Euan told road.cc that he has "stopped cycling into work entirely" due to fears that he will be targeted by muggers.

"This used to be my only safe route into work, but I’ve seen men in balaclavas watching cyclists on the route on multiple occasions and I simply don’t think it’s safe," he said. "I've heard about this happening via multiple sources for months and the police absolutely can’t be bothered."

Well, I hope the Lea River Bridge doesn't put off other cyclists. And those who do brave this activity called cycling, reach their destinations safely with their bikes still with them.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-30-june-2023-302231#live-blog-item-46967

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<kg8v7jF33v3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30690&group=uk.rec.cycling#30690

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jun 2023 21:19:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 21:19 UTC

Take an Uber…YKIMS…

--
Spike

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<13ff0d9f-652d-4369-93cd-39b6ad37af08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30692&group=uk.rec.cycling#30692

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 23:10:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 06:10 UTC

Google Maps screenshot of the cycle-car-park lane near me. Everytime I travel on this road, I am amazed at how many vehicles are parked all along it. I sent a couple of videos into OpSnap of drivists pulling in front of me, while I am in a solid white lane cycle lane and they then park half on the footpath, half on the cycle lane (over double yellow lines) forcing me out into traffic.

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/Screenshot%202023-06-30%20104558.jpg

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<kga1esF81qoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30693&group=uk.rec.cycling#30693

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jul 2023 07:03:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 07:03 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:

> Take an Uber…YKIMS…

Although seemingly unknown to your average cyclist, an Uber journey could
be a useful learning experience, as an Uber will obey the painted lines on
the road, such as those at red traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, Give
Way and Stop signs, and the rest.

Otherwise he could lose his licence - unlike a cyclist…

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this the first time that paint on roads has been of any use to cyclists?

<snip>

>> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-30-june-2023-302231#live-blog-item-46967

--
Spike

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<ab317149-b16b-472e-a628-7677105355b4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30696&group=uk.rec.cycling#30696

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 03:24:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 10:24 UTC

Graffiti telling cyclists to beware of bike thieves has been daubed on the entrance to a section of a south east London cycle route following reports of robberies and muggings by “masked men” in recent months.

Multiple cyclists have contacted the Metropolitan Police, Lewisham Council and British Cycling after a local cycling Facebook group reported that masked, knife-wielding thieves were targeting solo bike riders at night on a quiet portion of Cycleway 10 (formerly known as Quietway 1) near The Den, Millwall Football Club’s stadium.

“This used to be my only safe route into work, but I’ve seen men in balaclavas watching cyclists on the route on multiple occasions and I simply don’t think it’s safe,” he says.

“I’ve heard about this happening via multiple sources for months and the police absolutely can’t be bothered.”

A number of other cyclists have also reported their experiences on the cycle route on social media. A month ago, a Reddit user claimed that at around 5.45pm on a weekday evening a group of men standing at the corner of Surrey Canal Road and Senegal Way could be heard discussing whether they “should get that one”.

“Wasn't sure if they were intending to mug but it made me uneasy… and there seems to be targeting going on in the area. Will be changing my route in evenings,” the user said.

Last month, a member of the Lewisham Cyclists Facebook group (link is external) reported that a female cyclist was attacked and had her bike stolen by “two men in balaclavas” in the same area. The same user also claimed earlier this week that their neighbour was attacked by the muggers, and now no longer cycles due to fears for her safety and is “moving to somewhere she can take the tube to work”.

“I was pushed off my bike and robbed by boys in masks a couple of years ago near that route,” another female cyclist said.

Local police have contacted the Lewisham Cyclists group to inform them that they are aware of several incidents involving bikejackings on C10 and say they are adding the route to their patrol paths.

Violent bike thefts have become a worryingly common occurrence over the past year. In July, British Cycling said it was "deeply concerned" by the rise in bikejackings across south London, with policy manager Nick Chamberlin publishing a response (link is external) to outline the issue, telling members what British Cycling is doing and offering advice.

Chamberlin said: “We have heard from lots of clubs and individuals who are rightly very concerned about going out for a ride. It is extremely hard to discuss these sorts of issues without causing panic and the last thing any of us would wish is to deter people from cycling this summer through a fear of being attacked.

“The sad reality however is that when these spikes in violent crime occur, and while we try to understand the pattern of incidents better, it is prudent for individuals, clubs and groups to discuss these concerns together and think carefully about the rides they have planned.

“As with the incidents that occurred in Richmond Park last year, we know that by working together as a cycling community to quickly pass relevant information to the police we can support them to quickly and effectively tackle the issue.”

With the rise in incidents showing few signs of abating, British Cycling has advised that members in affected areas should plan rides and events carefully, be mindful of privacy settings on devices and contact its incident helpline (link is external) as well as the police to report incidents and/or threatening behaviour.

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<kgaejjFa0h2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30698&group=uk.rec.cycling#30698

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 11:48:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 10:48 UTC

On 01/07/2023 11:24 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Graffiti telling chav-cyclists to beware of chav-bike thieves has been daubed on the entrance to a section of a south east London chav-cycle route following reports of robberies and muggings by “masked men” in recent months.
>
> Multiple chav-cyclists have contacted the Metropolitan Police, Lewisham Council and British Chav-Cycling after a local cycling Facebook group reported that masked, knife-wielding thieves were targeting solo chav-bike riders at night on a quiet portion of Chav-Cycleway 10 (formerly known as Quietway 1) near The Den, Millwall Football Club’s stadium.
>
> “This used to be my only safe route into work, but I’ve seen men in balaclavas watching chav-cyclists on the route on multiple occasions and I simply don’t think it’s safe,” he says.
>
> “I’ve heard about this happening via multiple sources for months and the police absolutely can’t be bothered.”
>
> A number of other chav-cyclists have also reported their experiences on the chav-cycle route on social media. A month ago, a Reddit user claimed that at around 5.45pm on a weekday evening a group of men standing at the corner of Surrey Canal Road and Senegal Way could be heard discussing whether they “should get that one”.

A: "Emergency. Which service, please?"

B: "Police Armed Response Unit and quick about it, to Chav-Cycleway 10,
Millwall section."

A: "What is the nature of the need for the police?"

B: "Some bloke looked at me funny. I think he's a chav-cyclist who wants
to ambush me and steal my chav-bike."

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<25dd25ba-f25f-48ef-a773-66809c1b826fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30699&group=uk.rec.cycling#30699

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 04:42:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 11:42 UTC

Mariam Sayed
@MariamCycles
This is Lea Bridge Road in Waltham Forest, well known problem spot amongst local cyclists but why isn’t anything being done about this to make us feel safer? @Labourstone
@willnorman
@metpoliceuk

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fzw0lcmaYAEbsOV?format=jpg&name=large

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<kgaqpvFbqf8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30702&group=uk.rec.cycling#30702

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 15:16:30 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 14:16 UTC

> Mariam Sayed
> @MariamCycles

> This is Lea Bridge Road in Waltham Forest, well known problem spot amongst local chav-cyclists but why isn’t anything being done about this to make us feel safer? @Labourstone
> @willnorman
> @metpoliceuk
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fzw0lcmaYAEbsOV?format=jpg&name=large

One thing is absolutely for sure: only another chav-cyclist wants to
steal a chav-bike. No-one else wants them.

OK... there is one exception... a "dealer" who has enough chav-cyclists
as his... er... 'customers' (for various 'services') to know that they
won't object to buying stuff that's 'fallen off the back of a lorry".

"...why isn’t anything being done about this to make us feel safer?..."?

Er... go a different way?

You are not going to get a permanent garrison of policemen there.

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<0d329ea3-0ff5-4b87-8de8-100894bd8a05n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30703&group=uk.rec.cycling#30703

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 08:26:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 15:26 UTC

Kirsty Logan 🍃💚🍃🌳🪗
@RabbleChorus
·
Jun 29
Off topic but..l
Ahead Bridge On The Muggings Bike?
Surely nobody reads the other way otherwise the infamous Star Wars opening crawl would have looked very different.

:-)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fzw0lcmaYAEbsOV?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<kgcmvtFkhr6U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30717&group=uk.rec.cycling#30717

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 07:23:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

> Mariam Sayed
> @MariamCycles
> This is Lea Bridge Road in Waltham Forest, well known problem spot
> amongst local cyclists but why isn’t anything being done about this to
> make us feel safer? @Labourstone
> @willnorman
> @metpoliceuk

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fzw0lcmaYAEbsOV?format=jpg&name=large

You wanted cycleways well removed from traffic.

Now you’ve got one, you don’t like it much!

Cyclists, eh?

--
Spike

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<kgcmvtFkhr6U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30718&group=uk.rec.cycling#30718

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 07:23:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

There’s a nicely coded message in this from British Cycling, essentially
saying that cyclists should look after themselves.

Cyclists wanted these facilities, perhaps they should have been more
careful for what they wished.

<kgcmvuFkhr6U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30720&group=uk.rec.cycling#30720

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 07:23:42 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

> Kirsty Logan 🍃💚🍃🌳🪗
> @RabbleChorus
> ·
> Jun 29
> Off topic but..l
> Ahead Bridge On The Muggings Bike?
> Surely nobody reads the other way otherwise the infamous Star Wars
> opening crawl would have looked very different.
>
> :-)
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fzw0lcmaYAEbsOV?format=jpg&name=medium

Doesn’t look any better for the repetition.

--
Spike

Re: "All it takes is paint on the ground to make us feel safer"

<37639f7a-e669-4f35-bd7b-556be87d35f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30726&group=uk.rec.cycling#30726

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 02:26:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 09:26 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 4:26:25 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Kirsty Logan 🍃💚🍃🌳🪗
> @RabbleChorus
> ·
> Jun 29
> Off topic but..l
> Ahead Bridge On The Muggings Bike?
> Surely nobody reads the other way otherwise the infamous Star Wars opening crawl would have looked very different.
>
> :-)
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fzw0lcmaYAEbsOV?format=jpg&name=medium

Keiran
@keiran4u4eva
·
Jun 29
My dyslexia made reading that very difficult before it eventually twigged! Thankfully not a stretch I use often as I tend to ride east/west beneath the bridge but definitely something I’m going to be wary of in future.. Hope the problem is addressed soon in any event.