"I thought you were trying to get into shape." "I am. The shape I've selected is a triangle."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

SubjectAuthor
* Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
+* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|+* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|`- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryJNugent
+* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
| `- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryJNugent
+* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|`* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
| `* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|  `* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|   +* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|   |`* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|   | `* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|   |  +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|   |  `- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|   `* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|    +* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|    |`- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|    `* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|     +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryJNugent
|     `- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryJNugent
|`* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryJNugent
| +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
| `* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|  +* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|  |`- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|  +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryJNugent
|  `* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|   `* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
|    +- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
|    `- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
`* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
 +* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
 |+- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike
 |`* Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
 | `- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversaryswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversarySpike

Pages:12
Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg7mgeFrgu3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30643&group=uk.rec.cycling#30643

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary
Date: 30 Jun 2023 09:44:46 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 09:44 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:

>> ‘Cycling and walking’ groups bang on endlessly about cycling infra and
>> cycling deaths, while all but totally ignoring cases like that of Rhiannon
>> Bennett and Kim Briggs.

> One of the oft-repeated shibboleths of the cycling world is that any kind
> of restriction placed on cyclists, such as helmets, hi-viz, registration,
> insurance, cycling tests, number plates, speed limits, traffic law
> alignment and the like, is that “It might deter people from taking up
> cycling”, completely ignoring the obvious fact that hordes of cyclists on
> pavements, out of all effective legal control, might put people off
> walking. But this is never mentioned, of course, cyclists being so
> self-entitled. It’s way past time to put a stop to this situation, and
> bring it under control. It could be called Rhiannon’s Law.

I can see why cyclists don’t want a ‘drunk cycling’ law brought in to stop
this form of abuse, because not being able to get plastered down the pub
and then cycle home, putting everyone else - themselves, drivers,
pedestrians - at risk from this anti-social behaviour, might ‘put people
off taking up cycling’. Which is, of course, yet another morally-bankrupt
argument along with the pedestrian-slaughter ‘It’s only a few, not worth
doing anything about it, bringing in reforms will only put people off’
excuse for keeping cycling laws as they are: few and far between, and all
but unenforced.

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg7og1Frpe6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30646&group=uk.rec.cycling#30646

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:18:41 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:18 UTC

On 30/06/2023 06:52 am, the Chief Chav wrote:

> QUOTE: Aylesbury magistrates were told that Rhiannon had drunk "two or three" cans of lager before the collision.ENDS
>
> What was a 17 year old doing drinking alcohol in the street?

She wasn't. But even if she had been, there is no law against that and
certainly no law which allows a self-entitled chav-on-a-bike (like you,
for instance) to administer capital punishment for it.

> She would have been over the limit with that amount.

What "limit", chav?

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<561ef9a0-cf00-4326-8307-4ae65a178a30n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30647&group=uk.rec.cycling#30647

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 03:20:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:20 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 6:52:43 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Aylesbury magistrates were told that Rhiannon had drunk "two or three" cans of lager before the collision.ENDS
>
> What was a 17 year old doing drinking alcohol in the street?
> She would have been over the limit with that amount.

Being over the DD limit and then playing chicken in live traffic is a disaster waiting to happen.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg7p5iFrpe6U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30652&group=uk.rec.cycling#30652

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:30:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:30 UTC

On 30/06/2023 11:20 am, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote,
talking to himself again:

> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 6:52:43 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

>> QUOTE: Aylesbury magistrates were told that Rhiannon had drunk "two or three" cans of lager before the collision.ENDS
>
>> What was a 17 year old doing drinking alcohol in the street?
>> She would have been over the limit with that amount.
>
> Being over the DD limit and then playing chicken in live traffic is a disaster waiting to happen.

Does the breathalyser limit apply to pedestrians?

If it did, there would be no reason not to apply it to chavs on their
chav-bikes, would there?

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg7pmfFs0lrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30656&group=uk.rec.cycling#30656

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jun 2023 10:39:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:39 UTC

> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 6:52:43 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: Aylesbury magistrates were told that Rhiannon had drunk "two or
>> three" cans of lager before the collision.ENDS
>>
>> What was a 17 year old doing drinking alcohol in the street?
>> She would have been over the limit with that amount.
>
> Being over the DD limit and then playing chicken in live traffic is a
> disaster waiting to happen.

You can denigrate anyone by piling supposition upon supposition in order to
draw the conclusion you want.

Why not keep to the realities of the case, which are far removed from your
silly attempt to shift the blame onto the dead victim and away from the
cyclist killer.

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<9b296893-5161-4136-a799-3c9fd0662c72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30657&group=uk.rec.cycling#30657

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 03:39:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:39 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 11:20:33 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 6:52:43 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > QUOTE: Aylesbury magistrates were told that Rhiannon had drunk "two or three" cans of lager before the collision.ENDS
> >
> > What was a 17 year old doing drinking alcohol in the street?
> > She would have been over the limit with that amount.
> Being over the DD limit and then playing chicken in live traffic is a disaster waiting to happen.

Lots of accounts of the girl thinking it was funny to force moving traffic to veer out into the centre of the carriageway.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg7ptfFs1g0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30659&group=uk.rec.cycling#30659

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jun 2023 10:42:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:42 UTC

> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 11:20:33 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 6:52:43 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> QUOTE: Aylesbury magistrates were told that Rhiannon had drunk "two or
>>> three" cans of lager before the collision.ENDS
>>>
>>> What was a 17 year old doing drinking alcohol in the street?
>>> She would have been over the limit with that amount.
>> Being over the DD limit and then playing chicken in live traffic is a
>> disaster waiting to happen.
>
> Lots of accounts of the girl thinking it was funny to force moving
> traffic to veer out into the centre of the carriageway.

And who authorised the death penalty for that?

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg7q58Fs2peU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30660&group=uk.rec.cycling#30660

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jun 2023 10:47:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:47 UTC

> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 11:20:33 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 6:52:43 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> QUOTE: Aylesbury magistrates were told that Rhiannon had drunk "two or
>>> three" cans of lager before the collision.ENDS
>>>
>>> What was a 17 year old doing drinking alcohol in the street?
>>> She would have been over the limit with that amount.
>> Being over the DD limit and then playing chicken in live traffic is a
>> disaster waiting to happen.
>
> Lots of accounts of the girl thinking it was funny to force moving
> traffic to veer out into the centre of the carriageway.

So let me get this right; cyclists can cycle home from the pub while
blatted out of their brains, but pedestrians can’t as they are subject to
motor vehicle legislation? Where is this jurisdiction, Bedlam, Cycletopia,
or Amsterdam?

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<29eb520b-5060-4506-84f8-3e0294bb2f32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30662&group=uk.rec.cycling#30662

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 03:57:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:57 UTC

QUOTE: Speeding cyclist ENDS

QUOTE: Jason Howard, 35, hit speeds of at least 23mph ." ENDS

Since when was 23mph "speeding" in a 30mph road?
Of course, speed limits do not apply in any case.

QUOTE: Mr Thompson said Howard maintained that Rhiannon was walking in the road when he struck her. ENDS

Indeed.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg80daFt035U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30663&group=uk.rec.cycling#30663

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:33:47 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:33 UTC

On 30/06/2023 11:39 am, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 11:20:33 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

>> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 6:52:43 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

>>> QUOTE: Aylesbury magistrates were told that Rhiannon had drunk "two or three" cans of lager before the collision.ENDS
>
>>> What was a 17 year old doing drinking alcohol in the street?
>>> She would have been over the limit with that amount.

>> Being over the DD limit and then playing chicken in live traffic is a disaster waiting to happen.

> Lots of accounts of the girl thinking it was funny to force moving traffic to veer out into the centre of the carriageway.

The carriageway was in a cul-de-sac at the back of some shops.

There can be little doubt that your fellow chav (on the bike) was on the
footway for most of his journey in that location.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg80hbFt035U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30664&group=uk.rec.cycling#30664

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:35:55 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:35 UTC

On 30/06/2023 11:57 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Speeding cyclist ENDS
>
> QUOTE: Jason Howard, 35, hit speeds of at least 23mph ." ENDS
>
> Since when was 23mph "speeding" in a 30mph road?
> Of course, speed limits do not apply in any case.
>
> QUOTE: Mr Thompson said Howard maintained that Rhiannon was walking in the road when he struck her. ENDS

So what?

If that meant anythi ng at all, it would mean that it was alright to run
chavs on bikes off the road.

You see?

Put a silly argument (like yours) and watch as it gets the reductio ad
absurdem treatment.

[You can look that up, if you know how to.]

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<dd17f340-b9d5-4f05-b552-884fd71bc120n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30668&group=uk.rec.cycling#30668

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 06:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:21 UTC

QUOTE: He pointed out people convicted of dangerous driving can be imprisoned but dangerous cycling only carries a maximum fine of £2,500.ENDS

Why don't you campaign for a change in the law - or has someone else failed in that quest?
It failed as the governement does not see it as a major problem - maybe try the European courts.
Oh, you can't.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<f6838030-c215-4339-8a4a-edca00b13ad5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30672&group=uk.rec.cycling#30672

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:43 UTC

QUOTE: He pointed out people convicted of dangerous driving can be imprisoned but dangerous cycling only carries a maximum fine of £2,500.ENDS

Why don't you campaign for a change in the law - or has someone else failed in that quest?
It failed as the government does not see it as a major problem - maybe try the European courts.
Oh, you can't.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kg8cj4FbmqU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30676&group=uk.rec.cycling#30676

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jun 2023 16:01:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:01 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Being over the DD limit and then playing chicken in live traffic is a
>>> disaster waiting to happen.
>>
>> Lots of accounts of the girl thinking it was funny to force moving
>> traffic to veer out into the centre of the carriageway.
>
> So let me get this right; cyclists can cycle home from the pub while
> blatted out of their brains, but pedestrians can’t as they are subject to
> motor vehicle legislation? Where is this jurisdiction, Bedlam, Cycletopia,
> or Amsterdam?

Another way to progress Rhiannon/Kim’s Law is to take it to the European
Court Of Human Rights, an application to which can be lodged by an
individual, a group of individuals, or one or more of the other contracting
states, of which, as we all know, the UK is a founding member. It is not an
EU body.

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<929baaff-c00e-4a6d-9033-78167c200bf5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30679&group=uk.rec.cycling#30679

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:04:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:04 UTC

On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 4:43:33 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: He pointed out people convicted of dangerous driving can be imprisoned but dangerous cycling only carries a maximum fine of £2,500.ENDS
>
> Why don't you campaign for a change in the law - or has someone else failed in that quest?
> It failed as the government does not see it as a major problem - maybe try the European courts.
> Oh, you can't.

Look at and study why you are not getting your wish granted.
Compare the problems.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fz4teVwXgAA8y6e?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kga1fdF8218U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30694&group=uk.rec.cycling#30694

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jul 2023 07:04:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 07:04 UTC

> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 4:43:33 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: He pointed out people convicted of dangerous driving can be
>> imprisoned but dangerous cycling only carries a maximum fine of £2,500.ENDS
>>
>> Why don't you campaign for a change in the law - or has someone else
>> failed in that quest?
>> It failed as the government does not see it as
>> a major problem - maybe try the European courts.
>> Oh, you can't.
>
> Look at and study why you are not getting your wish granted.
> Compare the problems.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fz4teVwXgAA8y6e?format=jpg&name=medium

How did Rhiannon Bennett, killed by a cyclist who was merely fined, get
painted out of that picture?

Kim Briggs was killed by a cyclist in 2015.

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<05dae008-8f7e-4477-a85d-cef652f156e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30697&group=uk.rec.cycling#30697

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 03:28:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 10:28 UTC

QUOTE: "When this first happened, we thought we would be looking at manslaughter or murder." Mrs Bennett added: "It's a life, he should have had a prison sentence. ENDS

Now you know how the families of cyclists feel when killer drivers walk away with a suspended sentence or a paltry fine.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<28e7de0a-f89b-440c-ab68-21abc44a04e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30700&group=uk.rec.cycling#30700

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 04:58:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 11:58 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 11:28:19 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: "When this first happened, we thought we would be looking at manslaughter or murder." Mrs Bennett added: "It's a life, he should have had a prison sentence. ENDS
>
> Now you know how the families of cyclists feel when killer drivers walk away with a suspended sentence or a paltry fine.

ONE OF MANY:

“Why didn’t you see him?” That was the question posed in court this week by the family of a cyclist who was struck from behind and killed by a former HGV driver, as the motorist was handed a nine-month suspended sentence for causing the father-of-two’s death.

41-year-old David Jones was cycling on the A48 Crack Hill in Bridgend at around 5.50am on 27 May 2020 when he was hit from behind by 74-year-old Raymond Treharne driving a 4x4 Grand Cherokee Jeep, Wales Online reports (link is external).

Jones was thrown in the air in the collision and suffered a serious head injury. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kgcmvsFkhr6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30714&group=uk.rec.cycling#30714

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 07:23:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

> On Friday, June 30, 2023 at 4:43:33 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> QUOTE: He pointed out people convicted of dangerous driving can be
>> imprisoned but dangerous cycling only carries a maximum fine of £2,500.ENDS

>> Why don't you campaign for a change in the law - or has someone else
>> failed in that quest?

>> It failed as the government does not see it as a major problem - maybe
>> try the European courts.

>> Oh, you can't.

Debunked in a separate post

> Look at and study why you are not getting your wish granted.
> Compare the problems.

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fz4teVwXgAA8y6e?format=jpg&name=medium

Actual figures for pedestrians slaughtered by cyclists over the period
2010-2020 are 4, 2, 2, 6, 6, 2, 3, 3, 1, 6, 4.

Someone, probably a psycholist, is telling porkies.

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kgcmvtFkhr6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30715&group=uk.rec.cycling#30715

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 07:23:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

> QUOTE: "When this first happened, we thought we would be looking at
> manslaughter or murder." Mrs Bennett added: "It's a life, he should have
> had a prison sentence. ENDS

> Now you know how the families of cyclists feel when killer drivers walk
> away with a suspended sentence or a paltry fine.

Stop comparing apples with oranges. The charges available to brought
against cyclist killers are far fewer and of less severity than those for
drivers.

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<kgcmvtFkhr6U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30716&group=uk.rec.cycling#30716

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Jul 2023 07:23:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:23 UTC

> On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 11:28:19 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: "When this first happened, we thought we would be looking at
>> manslaughter or murder." Mrs Bennett added: "It's a life, he should have
>> had a prison sentence. ENDS
>>
>> Now you know how the families of cyclists feel when killer drivers walk
>> away with a suspended sentence or a paltry fine.
>
> ONE OF MANY:
>
> “Why didn’t you see him?” That was the question posed in court this week
> by the family of a cyclist who was struck from behind and killed by a
> former HGV driver, as the motorist was handed a nine-month suspended
> sentence for causing the father-of-two’s death.
>
> 41-year-old David Jones was cycling on the A48 Crack Hill in Bridgend at
> around 5.50am on 27 May 2020 when he was hit from behind by 74-year-old
> Raymond Treharne driving a 4x4 Grand Cherokee Jeep, Wales Online reports
> (link is external).
>
> Jones was thrown in the air in the collision and suffered a serious head
> injury. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The cyclist killers of Kim Briggs and Elizabeth Stone had to wait days
before their victims died; six days and four days respectively. Sakhine
Cihan died the next day, while Peter McCombie hung on for 8 days.

--
Spike

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<45cba20c-9cd0-4653-8aaf-ff0a6c378e55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30725&group=uk.rec.cycling#30725

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 02:24:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 09:24 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 12:58:34 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 11:28:19 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > QUOTE: "When this first happened, we thought we would be looking at manslaughter or murder." Mrs Bennett added: "It's a life, he should have had a prison sentence. ENDS
> >
> > Now you know how the families of cyclists feel when killer drivers walk away with a suspended sentence or a paltry fine.
> ONE OF MANY:
>
> “Why didn’t you see him?” That was the question posed in court this week by the family of a cyclist who was struck from behind and killed by a former HGV driver, as the motorist was handed a nine-month suspended sentence for causing the father-of-two’s death.
>
> 41-year-old David Jones was cycling on the A48 Crack Hill in Bridgend at around 5.50am on 27 May 2020 when he was hit from behind by 74-year-old Raymond Treharne driving a 4x4 Grand Cherokee Jeep, Wales Online reports (link is external).
>
> Jones was thrown in the air in the collision and suffered a serious head injury. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Killer walked away as a free man - disgusting.

Re: Heads up for Rhiannon day anniversary

<64159bbc-d3bb-494c-bbf5-64f3d183750cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30730&group=uk.rec.cycling#30730

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 03:05:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 10:05 UTC

A van driver who admitted causing the death of a cyclist by careless driving was today (Mon) given a suspended jail sentence.

Dean Holderness, 36, was involved in a collision with cyclist Stuart Lees, 50, on the A1104 at Snape Hill, Saleby, near Alford in March 2020.

Mr Lees was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries but Lincolnshire Police confirmed on April 1, 2020 that he had died.

Holderness, now 37, of Marston Crescent, New Lodge, Barnsley, was initially charged with the more serious offence of causing Mr Lees’ death by dangerous driving, which he denied.

And on the second day of his trial at Lincoln Crown Court in January, Holderness pleaded guilty to a count of causing death by careless driving on the A1104 on March 23, 2020.

The Crown Prosecution Service offered no evidence on the original charge and the jury were discharged from reaching a verdict.

Judge James House KC adjourned sentence for the preparation of a probation report and a psychological report on Holderness.

Holderness was today sentenced to four months imprisonment suspended for 18 months by Judge House.

He was also to complete 200 hours of unpaid work in the community and was disqualified from driving for 12 months.

In a statement read out after Holderness entered his guilty plea his barrister Simon Eckersley said on his behalf: “I will plead guilty to causing death by careless driving. I accept that when I attempted to pass Stuart Lees, in the circumstances of the situation including the prevailing wind, I did not give Mr Lees sufficient space.

“This was driving below the required standard.”

Mr Eckersley said Holderness, a delivery driver and father-of-two, had also demonstrated considerable remorse.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2023/03/van-driver-avoids-jail-after-taking-responsibility-for-fatal-accident/