A freelance is one who gets paid by the word -- per piece or perhaps. -- Robert Benchley

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / scam in progress

SubjectAuthor
* scam in progressPeter
+* Re: scam in progresshubops
|`* Re: scam in progressAhem A Rivet's Shot
| `- Re: scam in progressBrian Gaff
`- Re: scam in progressBrian Gaff

1
scam in progress

<XnsB0FB7B0047385Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30733&group=uk.rec.sheds#30733

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: scam in progress
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:05:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:05 UTC

SWMBO got an email an hour or so ago from an old fiend[1]. She responded by
asking after himself and his SWMBO, as you would, and he replied by asking
her to buy a gift card for his niece. So we decided to have some fun - she
is merrily stringing the scammer along (after first forwarding the email to
phishing.gov.uk). I got in touch with the fiend using his secondary email
address and his SWMBO responded to the effect that we were the fourth person
to warn them of the hack.

SWMBO is still stringing the hacker along but I suspect she'll get bored
soon.

[1]In both senses of the word "old". A fiend of many years, who is as old as
we are.
--
Peter
-----

Re: scam in progress

<5vscqi19b92iqpl5oeijdkg56ok0gsoc57@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30734&group=uk.rec.sheds#30734

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: scam in progress
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:27:00 -0500
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:27 UTC

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:05:29 -0000 (UTC), Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk>
wrote:

>SWMBO got an email an hour or so ago from an old fiend[1]. She responded by
>asking after himself and his SWMBO, as you would, and he replied by asking
>her to buy a gift card for his niece. So we decided to have some fun - she
>is merrily stringing the scammer along (after first forwarding the email to
>phishing.gov.uk). I got in touch with the fiend using his secondary email
>address and his SWMBO responded to the effect that we were the fourth person
>to warn them of the hack.
>
>SWMBO is still stringing the hacker along but I suspect she'll get bored
>soon.
>
>[1]In both senses of the word "old". A fiend of many years, who is as old as
>we are.

I always cringe at the time-worn advice to
" never click on a link or attachment from an unknown source "
... while it _is_ _technically_ true .. the known source
that has been hacked will surely do harm ..

As an aside - the phone scammers that I have tried to report
have the police telling me that they are not interested -
_ unless I have actually fallen victim _
... only then is it a crime.
John T.

Re: scam in progress

<20240116123710.450c3e18ea3068e873d4c016@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30735&group=uk.rec.sheds#30735

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:37:10 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:37 UTC

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:27:00 -0500
hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

> As an aside - the phone scammers that I have tried to report
> have the police telling me that they are not interested -
> _ unless I have actually fallen victim _
> ... only then is it a crime.

Whatever happened to "Attempted $crime" being itself a crime I
wonder.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: scam in progress

<uo6776$1gd7f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30739&group=uk.rec.sheds#30739

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:26:29 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:26 UTC

Yes you would think that they would give this one up by now, like all the
money I'm owed in Nigeria
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Peter" <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote in message
> SWMBO got an email an hour or so ago from an old fiend[1]. She responded
> by
> asking after himself and his SWMBO, as you would, and he replied by asking
> her to buy a gift card for his niece. So we decided to have some fun - she
> is merrily stringing the scammer along (after first forwarding the email
> phishing.gov.uk). I got in touch with the fiend using his secondary email
> address and his SWMBO responded to the effect that we were the fourth
> person
> to warn them of the hack.
>
> SWMBO is still stringing the hacker along but I suspect she'll get bored
> soon.
>
> [1]In both senses of the word "old". A fiend of many years, who is as old
> as
> we are.
> --
> Peter
> -----

Re: scam in progress

<uo67ea$1gemg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30740&group=uk.rec.sheds#30740

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:30:17 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:30 UTC

Well, its that old thing proof. If you can prove they targeted you, then
they can act, but as its just a load of stuff sent to a list they probably
got from somebody else and there is no loss then who is wasting their time,
the would be scammer.
Brian

--

--: