The world is coming to an end! Repent and return those library books!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

SubjectAuthor
* Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs asswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs asJNugent
+- Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs asswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs asswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stopSpike
+* Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs asswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stopSpike
`- Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs asswldx...@gmail.com

1
Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<aee8006f-176d-4edf-bd76-916a1e291041n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30833&group=uk.rec.cycling#30833

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 22:44:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as
parking crisis continues
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 05:44 UTC

After years of bad parking blighting a residential area, Hull City Council introduced wheel stop kerbs to prevent vehicles parking on the pavement.

The black and yellow fittings have been fixed in place along the edge of the pavement on Goddard Avenue and were rolled out to the whole street following a successful trial. Many residents on the street have welcomed the change, as they would often have cars parked right up to their gates, but argued the new system comes with flaws.

Whether it be the backends of cars blocking part of the carriageway, larger vehicles struggling to squeeze in or people tripping over them, neighbours said there have been issues. However, everyone seemed to agree that the idea was generally positive and it was well overdue for pedestrians to have the space they deserve.

One man, who was standing on his front doorstep admiring the council's handiwork, said the kerbs made the street a lot better. "The kerbs have improved the area a lot," he said.

"Before, cars would sometimes park right up to my fence. There are some problems with them, such as the cars sticking out onto the road, but I think it's mostly okay. The kerbs are a positive thing."

A few doors down the street, neighbour Olivia was quick to call the plan "ridiculous". Although she believed it was a good idea in one sense, she wasn't convinced that the inconsiderate parking would stop.

She said: "It's ridiculous really. I see why they have done it because cars have parked very close to my wall before but so many drivers just ignore them and drive over the kerbs.

"A few of them at the top of the street look like they have cracked and split already. It looks like they have just stuck them anywhere as there are still big gaps that cars can get through."

Olivia also pointed out that people with prams and in wheelchairs may struggle to cross with the kerbs in the way. "I know they are big and yellow- so quite easy to see - but I have seen three people trip over them now," she continued.

"If you're waving at someone across the road and walk backwards, you could easily fall over it. On the whole, the idea was there but I think it could have been executed better."

Walking down the street, it seemed as though not everyone got the memo that cars are meant to have their wheels behind the wheel stops. Several vehicles had inched their tyres over the new fittings but the street had vastly improved compared to previously.

Resident Paul seemed pleased with the idea and said pedestrian access was now a lot better. He said: "The majority of vehicles are now parked reasonably well.

"Two people can now walk side by side down the path without any trouble. I suppose longer cars might stick out into the road a bit but the new design means they have to park a bit more horizontally.

"I suppose this could mean there are less spaces but overall, it's working well."

Goddard Avenue has plenty of cars, as well as caravans, campervans and minibuses parked down there at all times. Although the parking situation isn't perfect and may take time to get used to, most neighbours can agree that improvements have been made.

Speaking on the issue two years ago, Cllr Mike Ross, now the council leader, said: "Residents have long raised concerns with us about problems caused by people parking badly on Goddard Avenue. As someone who often walks down the road myself, I am well aware of the problem, with the pavement too often blocked by inconsiderate drivers.

"There has been no easy way to tackle this, but we have got the agreement from the council to trial 'wheel stop kerbs', which would make clear to drivers where they are to stop when parking.”

On announcing the roll-out last month, Hull City Council said: "Following a successful trial on Goddard Avenue, these wheel stop kerbs are going to be installed on the rest of the street. The kerbs reduce the obstruction that parked vehicles cause to pedestrians and other vulnerable users."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/goddard-avenue-neighbours-divided-over-8571719

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<kgiescFh312U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30841&group=uk.rec.cycling#30841

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
parking crisis continues
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:42:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:42 UTC

On 04/07/2023 06:44 am, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

> After years of bad parking blighting a residential area, Hull City Council introduced wheel stop kerbs to prevent vehicles parking on the pavement.
> The black and yellow fittings have been fixed in place along the edge of the pavement on Goddard Avenue and were rolled out to the whole street following a successful trial. Many residents on the street have welcomed the change, as they would often have cars parked right up to their gates, but argued the new system comes with flaws.
> Whether it be the backends of cars blocking part of the carriageway, larger vehicles struggling to squeeze in or people tripping over them, neighbours said there have been issues. However, everyone seemed to agree that the idea was generally positive and it was well overdue for pedestrians to have the space they deserve.

Obvious question: what processes are in place to stop arrogant chavs on
bikes from illegally using the footways?

After all, pedestrians will never have "the space they deserve" whilst
cyclepaths like you have anything to do with it, will they?

> One man, who was standing on his front doorstep admiring the council's handiwork, said the kerbs made the street a lot better. "The kerbs have improved the area a lot," he said.
> "Before, cars would sometimes park right up to my fence. There are some problems with them, such as the cars sticking out onto the road, but I think it's mostly okay. The kerbs are a positive thing."
> A few doors down the street, neighbour Olivia was quick to call the plan "ridiculous". Although she believed it was a good idea in one sense, she wasn't convinced that the inconsiderate parking would stop.
> She said: "It's ridiculous really. I see why they have done it because cars have parked very close to my wall before but so many drivers just ignore them and drive over the kerbs.

It sounds as though the residents want (and perhaps need) double yellow
lines.

> "A few of them at the top of the street look like they have cracked and split already. It looks like they have just stuck them anywhere as there are still big gaps that cars can get through."
> Olivia also pointed out that people with prams and in wheelchairs may struggle to cross with the kerbs in the way. "I know they are big and yellow- so quite easy to see - but I have seen three people trip over them now," she continued.
> "If you're waving at someone across the road and walk backwards, you could easily fall over it. On the whole, the idea was there but I think it could have been executed better."
> Walking down the street, it seemed as though not everyone got the memo that cars are meant to have their wheels behind the wheel stops. Several vehicles had inched their tyres over the new fittings but the street had vastly improved compared to previously.

Echelon parking is only a feasible scheme where the carriageway is
unusually wide (for a residential street). Perhaps as wide as forty
feet, in order to allow for parking and two effective lanes of moving
traffic.

> Resident Paul seemed pleased with the idea and said pedestrian access was now a lot better. He said: "The majority of vehicles are now parked reasonably well.
> "Two people can now walk side by side down the path without any trouble. I suppose longer cars might stick out into the road a bit but the new design means they have to park a bit more horizontally.
> "I suppose this could mean there are less spaces but overall, it's working well."
> Goddard Avenue has plenty of cars, as well as caravans, campervans and minibuses parked down there at all times. Although the parking situation isn't perfect and may take time to get used to, most neighbours can agree that improvements have been made.
> Speaking on the issue two years ago, Cllr Mike Ross, now the council leader, said: "Residents have long raised concerns with us about problems caused by people parking badly on Goddard Avenue. As someone who often walks down the road myself, I am well aware of the problem, with the pavement too often blocked by inconsiderate drivers.
> "There has been no easy way to tackle this, but we have got the agreement from the council to trial 'wheel stop kerbs', which would make clear to drivers where they are to stop when parking.”
> On announcing the roll-out last month, Hull City Council said: "Following a successful trial on Goddard Avenue, these wheel stop kerbs are going to be installed on the rest of the street. The kerbs reduce the obstruction that parked vehicles cause to pedestrians and other vulnerable users."
>
> https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/goddard-avenue-neighbours-divided-over-8571719

Those don't look like kerbs at all. It looks as though the footway and
the carriageway were (and remain) at the same height.

Whose idea was that?

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<kgif53Fh312U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30842&group=uk.rec.cycling#30842

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
parking crisis continues
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:46:44 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:46 UTC

On 04/07/2023 12:42 pm, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
>> struggle to cross with the kerbs in the way. "I know they are big and
>> yellow- so quite easy to see - but I have seen three people trip over
>> them now," she continued.
>> "If you're waving at someone across the road and walk backwards, you
>> could easily fall over it. On the whole, the idea was there but I
>> think it could have been executed better."
>> Walking down the street, it seemed as though not everyone got the memo
>> that cars are meant to have their wheels behind the wheel stops.
>> Several vehicles had inched their tyres over the new fittings but the
>> street had vastly improved compared to previously.
>
> Echelon parking is only a feasible scheme where the carriageway is
> unusually wide (for a residential street). Perhaps as wide as forty
> feet, in order to allow for parking and two effective lanes of moving

....and it turns out that Goddard Avenue IS that wide and that echelon
parking was already in use. Plus, there's an obvious answer as to why
the footway is not higher than the carriageway's edge.

See: <https://tinyurl.com/5n7mrr7p> [quite SFW]

How anyone could get a thoroughfare of that width to produce problems in
the *first* place is the unanswered question.

>> Resident Paul seemed pleased with the idea and said pedestrian access
>> was now a lot better. He said: "The majority of vehicles are now
>> parked reasonably well.
>> "Two people can now walk side by side down the path without any
>> trouble. I suppose longer cars might stick out into the road a bit but
>> the new design means they have to park a bit more horizontally.
>> "I suppose this could mean there are less spaces but overall, it's
>> working well."
>> Goddard Avenue has plenty of cars, as well as caravans, campervans and
>> minibuses parked down there at all times. Although the parking
>> situation isn't perfect and may take time to get used to, most
>> neighbours can agree that improvements have been made.
>> Speaking on the issue two years ago, Cllr Mike Ross, now the council
>> leader, said: "Residents have long raised concerns with us about
>> problems caused by people parking badly on Goddard Avenue. As someone
>> who often walks down the road myself, I am well aware of the problem,
>> with the pavement too often blocked by inconsiderate drivers.
>> "There has been no easy way to tackle this, but we have got the
>> agreement from the council to trial 'wheel stop kerbs', which would
>> make clear to drivers where they are to stop when parking.”
>> On announcing the roll-out last month, Hull City Council said:
>> "Following a successful trial on Goddard Avenue, these wheel stop
>> kerbs are going to be installed on the rest of the street. The kerbs
>> reduce the obstruction that parked vehicles cause to pedestrians and
>> other vulnerable users."
>>
>> https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/goddard-avenue-neighbours-divided-over-8571719
>>

> Those don't look like kerbs at all. It looks as though the footway and
> the carriageway were (and remain) at the same height.
>
> Whose idea was that?

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<bd8ae921-9148-4475-b458-f904285fc177n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30843&group=uk.rec.cycling#30843

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 05:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
parking crisis continues
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:45 UTC

THEY LOOK LIKE ORCAS FOR CARS - KEEPS THEM OFF THE FOOTWAYS.

The wheel stop kerbs are in place to deter vehicles from obstructing the pavement when parking (Image: Hull Daily Mail)

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/incoming/article8571699.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_WhatsApp-Image-2023-07-03-at-163654-1jpeg.jpg

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<kgik8nFhs0oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30847&group=uk.rec.cycling#30847

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop
kerbs as parking crisis continues
Date: 4 Jul 2023 13:13:59 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 13:13 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 04/07/2023 12:42 pm, JNugent wrote:
>> On 04/07/2023 06:44 am, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:
>>
>>> After years of bad parking blighting a residential area, Hull City
>>> Council introduced wheel stop kerbs to prevent vehicles parking on the
>>> pavement.
>>> The black and yellow fittings have been fixed in place along the edge
>>> of the pavement on Goddard Avenue and were rolled out to the whole
>>> street following a successful trial. Many residents on the street have
>>> welcomed the change, as they would often have cars parked right up to
>>> their gates, but argued the new system comes with flaws.

> ...and it turns out that Goddard Avenue IS that wide and that echelon
> parking was already in use. Plus, there's an obvious answer as to why
> the footway is not higher than the carriageway's edge.
>
> See: <https://tinyurl.com/5n7mrr7p> [quite SFW]
>
> How anyone could get a thoroughfare of that width to produce problems in
> the *first* place is the unanswered question.

Cyclists are quite adept at making problems where there aren’t any…

--
Spike

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<5638ce21-0eb5-4185-84fe-a678573333c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30848&group=uk.rec.cycling#30848

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
parking crisis continues
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 15:25 UTC

2 hrs ago

It's not long ago they did endyke lane and put driveways in for them and a new road surface however they park on the grass verge ruining it should have traffic wardens out,if they get a ticket they would not do it again and also save the council to do it over again in the future

4 min ago

I believe that. And with everyone having these driveways, entire streets slope towards the road. This makes it incredibly difficult for wheelchair users and those pushing strollers. We have cannibalised pedestrians' space in service of the driver.

-------------------------------------

You could say that for huge swathes of the entire countryside.

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<kgit6qFj75dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30852&group=uk.rec.cycling#30852

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
kerbs as parking crisis continues
Date: 4 Jul 2023 15:46:34 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 15:46 UTC

> 2 hrs ago
>
> It's not long ago they did endyke lane and put driveways in for them and
> a new road surface however they park on the grass verge ruining it should
> have traffic wardens out,if they get a ticket they would not do it again
> and also save the council to do it over again in the future
>
> 4 min ago
>
> I believe that. And with everyone having these driveways, entire streets
> slope towards the road. This makes it incredibly difficult for wheelchair
> users and those pushing strollers. We have cannibalised pedestrians'
> space in service of the driver.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> You could say that for huge swathes of the entire countryside.

Never trust a cyclist that extols safety for pedestrians.

--
Spike

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<73db336f-fb88-4e6b-8348-bc48265dd65en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30855&group=uk.rec.cycling#30855

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
parking crisis continues
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:33 UTC

3 hrs ago

Well it's always the same a law abiding citizen has always to pay the price for these rude ignorant drivers who park on the pavements. Your cars are not taxed for pavements. We have been down that Street and it awful how some idiots park - so well done COUNCIL AND HOPE WARDENS MONITOR IT BECAUSE IT'S A £1,000 FINE FOR PARKING ON OR OVER FOOTPATHS

4 hrs ago

Pavement parking is a huge issue affecting the whole of Hull. Goddard Ave is just a particularly egregious example of it. It needs to be tackled and soon as it seriously affects quality of life. As does parking in front of crossing points on side streets.

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<kgj740Fkpj9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30856&group=uk.rec.cycling#30856

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
kerbs as parking crisis continues
Date: 4 Jul 2023 18:35:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 18:35 UTC

> 3 hrs ago
>
> Well it's always the same a law abiding citizen has always to pay the
> price for these rude ignorant drivers who park on the pavements. Your
> cars are not taxed for pavements. We have been down that Street and it
> awful how some idiots park - so well done COUNCIL AND HOPE WARDENS
> MONITOR IT BECAUSE IT'S A £1,000 FINE FOR PARKING ON OR OVER FOOTPATHS
>
> 4 hrs ago
>
> Pavement parking is a huge issue affecting the whole of Hull. Goddard Ave
> is just a particularly egregious example of it. It needs to be tackled
> and soon as it seriously affects quality of life. As does parking in
> front of crossing points on side streets.

‘Your cars are not taxed for pavements’.

Neither are cyclists, for that matter, but it doesn’t stop them making full
use of pavements, to the detriment of pedestrians who have nowhere safe to
use.

--
Spike

Re: Goddard Avenue neighbours divided over new wheel stop kerbs as parking crisis continues

<1b91e14d-6088-4262-a80e-882cd1ace184n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30857&group=uk.rec.cycling#30857

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
parking crisis continues
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 18:40 UTC

1 hr ago

glad they have done this. Could not even walk on the pavement before, and had to walk on the road. people lose their brains soon as they get behind the wheel of a car.

9 hrs ago

When wheel stops are placed parallel to the road, vehicles are meant to park straight so that their wheels should roll up to the stop. A better solution would be to simply build an eight or ten inch high kerb with no gaps along the street. This would prevent drivers from either bumping over them or between them. This could be eventually rolled out everywhere and eradicate parking on side walks that are intended for people and not vehicles.

10 hrs ago

too many residents and visitor park their vehicles wherever they want, some even park diagonally across the bays and in spaces between trees preventing other cars being parked appropriately, pedestrians, prams and wheelchairs have a difficult time negotiating the route past badly positioned and oversized vehicles, tickets should be issues for non compliance.