Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soon

SubjectAuthor
* Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soonswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Amersham chav-bike repair expert announces new store opening soonJNugent
`* Re: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soonswldx...@gmail.com
 +* Re: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soonSpike
 |`- Re: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soonSpike
 `- Re: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soonswldx...@gmail.com

1
Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soon

<805e9ef6-591a-4a6d-a6e9-6aca58260640n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30863&group=uk.rec.cycling#30863

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 03:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soon
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 10:58 UTC

A bike and car engineer has slammed the Council for 'poor quality' pothole repairs in Buckinghamshire.

Justin ‘Jay’ Andrews, 45, the owner of The Mobile Bike Doctor, has been helping cyclists in and around Amersham.

The mechanical engineer and car repair workshop owner with more than 30 years of experience in the field has witnessed first-hand the frustration and financial loss potholes are causing to cyclists and drivers.

He said: “Potholes and damaging bike wheels and cars have just as many issues with potholes.

“The problem is they are putting in receipts for compensation, but the Council just fobs them off. The council is just saying no. Legally, if any of these people stood up and said no, the council would be in trouble.

“We will go out and fit a tyre, I watch a person drive away and hit pothole again.

“Whoever is repairing them the quality is really poor. They are not cleaning the holes before filling them up or properly heating them.”

Now the dad-of-two is getting ready to open a new bike shop on Plantation Road in two weeks time, including a space to run workshops to teach people how to maintain their bikes.

He said: “I’m not just a bike mechanic, I’m a mechanical engineer and it makes a big difference.

“I’m building something for my family. My children will take over in four years. My 13-year-old already works here and he’s trained a bit, but believe it or not there are a lot of places who don’t want to train young people.

“Getting work these days isn’t easy anymore, there’s not nearly enough work and I want my children to be skilled.”

In the new workshop space, Jay will continue running bike repair courses for children with Amersham-on-the-Hill Scouts and Cubs to give children basic maintenance skills.

He said he didn’t think they were “shooting ourselves out of work” by providing courses.

“I think it will give us more work,” he said.

Although he is confident about demand, opening a new business during a cost-of-living crisis isn't a care free decision.

“I did have major worries. It’s money and livelihood on the line, but we will do a lot of bikes," Jay added.

Buckinghamshire Council’s cabinet member for transport Steven Broadbent commented on the situation with potholes: “We have had to deal with unprecedented damage to our roads over the past winter.

"When the weather is cold and wet we can only make emergency repairs which are designed to create a temporary fix only.

“However, since April we have embarked on an extensive programme of permanent repairs.

"Crews have been out around the clock, seven days a week, making good the damage to our roads caused over the winter.

"To date we have repaired more than 10,000 defects across the county and have a programme for this year of over 200 extensive resurfacing schemes. In total we are investing over £34m on our highways this year.”

He said anyone with a claim for damage to their vehicle caused by potholes can fill out a form on the council’s website.

“It is very easy to do and we will carefully consider each claim made,” he added.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/23633512.amersham-bike-repair-expert-announces-new-store-opening-soon/

Re: Amersham chav-bike repair expert announces new store opening soon

<kgl14lFti72U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30865&group=uk.rec.cycling#30865

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:05:57 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:05 UTC

On 05/07/2023 11:58 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A chav-bike and car engineer has slammed the Council for 'poor quality' pothole repairs in Buckinghamshire.

A reasonable conclusion. The County Council does indeed have that
responsibility. So any lack of utility or durability can fairly be laid
at the County Hall door.

> Justin ‘Jay’ Andrews, 45, the owner of The Mobile Chav-Bike Doctor, has been helping chav-cyclists in and around Amersham.
> The mechanical engineer and car repair workshop owner with more than 30 years of experience in the field has witnessed first-hand the frustration and financial loss potholes are causing to chav-cyclists and drivers.
> He said: “Potholes and damaging chav-bike wheels and cars have just as many issues with potholes.
> “The problem is they are putting in receipts for compensation, but the Council just fobs them off. The council is just saying no. Legally, if any of these people stood up and said no, the council would be in trouble.
> “We will go out and fit a tyre, I watch a person drive away and hit pothole again.
> “Whoever is repairing them the quality is really poor. They are not cleaning the holes before filling them up or properly heating them.”

He's a civil-engineering expert as well, is he?

> Now the dad-of-two is getting ready to open a new chav-bike shop on Plantation Road in two weeks time, including a space to run workshops to teach people how to maintain their chav-bikes.

What's the old saying? "There's no such thing as bad publicity"?

> He said: “I’m not just a chav-bike mechanic, I’m a mechanical engineer and it makes a big difference.
> “I’m building something for my family. My children will take over in four years. My 13-year-old already works here and he’s trained a bit, but believe it or not there are a lot of places who don’t want to train young people.

Well... certainly not 13-yr-old schoolchildren.

*Should* they?

> “Getting work these days isn’t easy anymore, there’s not nearly enough work and I want my children to be skilled.”
> In the new workshop space, Jay will continue running chav-bike repair courses for children with Amersham-on-the-Hill Scouts and Cubs to give children basic maintenance skills.
> He said he didn’t think they were “shooting ourselves out of work” by providing courses.
> “I think it will give us more work,” he said.
> Although he is confident about demand, opening a new business during a cost-of-living crisis isn't a care free decision.
> “I did have major worries. It’s money and livelihood on the line, but we will do a lot of chav-bikes," Jay added.
> Buckinghamshire Council’s cabinet member for transport Steven Broadbent commented on the situation with potholes: “We have had to deal with unprecedented damage to our roads over the past winter.
> "When the weather is cold and wet we can only make emergency repairs which are designed to create a temporary fix only.
> “However, since April we have embarked on an extensive programme of permanent repairs.
> "Crews have been out around the clock, seven days a week, making good the damage to our roads caused over the winter.
> "To date we have repaired more than 10,000 defects across the county and have a programme for this year of over 200 extensive resurfacing schemes. In total we are investing over £34m on our highways this year.”
> He said anyone with a claim for damage to their vehicle caused by potholes can fill out a form on the council’s website.
> “It is very easy to do and we will carefully consider each claim made,” he added.

A reasonable response.

> https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/23633512.amersham-bike-repair-expert-announces-new-store-opening-soon/

Re: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soon

<a944b530-6c40-4e35-8499-7009df3e7e82n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30868&group=uk.rec.cycling#30868

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 04:13:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:13 UTC

QUOTE: “We will go out and fit a tyre, I watch a person drive away and hit pothole again.ENDS

<G> Says a lot about the average attention span of your typical driver!

Re: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soon

<kgl32fFts6fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30871&group=uk.rec.cycling#30871

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Jul 2023 11:38:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:38 UTC

Lswldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: “We will go out and fit a tyre, I watch a person drive away and
> hit pothole again.ENDS
>
> <G> Says a lot about the average attention span of your typical driver!

So cyclists never get affected by potholes?

Then why do they bang on about them in the cycling media?

Either they are wrong, or you are.

--
Spike

Re: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soon

<kgl356FtsocU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30872&group=uk.rec.cycling#30872

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Jul 2023 11:40:22 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:40 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:

> Lswldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> QUOTE: “We will go out and fit a tyre, I watch a person drive away and
>> hit pothole again.ENDS
>>
>> <G> Says a lot about the average attention span of your typical driver!
>
> So cyclists never get affected by potholes?
>
> Then why do they bang on about them in the cycling media?
>
> Either they are wrong, or you are.

Try this:

<https://road.cc/content/news/pothole-danger-leaves-sportive-organiser-frustrated-302287>

--
Spike

Re: Amersham bike repair expert announces new store opening soon

<2080b59e-7609-428d-b504-f48dadd7e831n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30875&group=uk.rec.cycling#30875

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 05:02:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:02 UTC

On Wednesday, July 5, 2023 at 12:13:04 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: “We will go out and fit a tyre, I watch a person drive away and hit pothole again.ENDS
>
> <G> Says a lot about the average attention span of your typical driver!

JUDGE: You had 30 seconds to see that cyclist in front of you - why did you not see him?

PILLOCK DRIVER: What was the question again?