Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 06:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A forgotten legend: Endura set to rebuild the first ever pedal cycle,
ridden in 1839
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 13:04 UTC

Scottish cyclewear brand Endura is hoping to revive a "forgotten legend of cycling history" recreating Kirkpatrick Macmillan's 1839 bicycle first ridden from Dumfriesshire to Glasgow, a journey that will be repeated once the bike is rebuilt in August.

The ambitious project pays homage to Kirkpatrick’s invention, recreating the historic pedal cycle with the utmost authenticity and rideability, Endura says, and it will be brought to life in partnership with Ullapool-based boat builder Tim Loftus.

The team will aim to perfectly capture the essence of Macmillan's invention while incorporating modern engineering capabilities that allow the bike to be suitable for modern riding. And, once complete, it will be ridden on Thursday 10 August, during the World Championships in Scotland, on Kirkpatrick's original journey.

"As a proud Scottish brand, we want to remind the cycling world that the foundations of this great sport were laid by a proud Scotsman, Kirkpatrick Macmillan, in Dumfriesshire. Our historic ride will merge the past with the present in a way that encapsulates Endura’s commitment to performance and heritage, while celebrating the spirit of innovation that drives our industry forward," Noah Bernard, brand director at Endura said.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-5-july-2023-302335#live-blog-item-47079