From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: e-scooters banned from trains and stations
Date: 5 Jul 2023 13:18:06 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 13:18 UTC

Rail operators in the South East will ban e-scooters on trains due to
concerns over fire risk.

Southeastern, Southern Rail, Thameslink and Gatwick Express will no longer
allow customers to bring e-scooters on to their trains.

The ban will come into force on 1 June.

In a statement, Southeastern said while the likelihood of a fire incident
was low, the risk of fire from e-scooters was much higher than other modes
of transport.

The operator said e-scooter batteries were subject to “knocks, bumps and
scrapes” and therefore more likely to receive damage, which could result in
a fire.
Steve Lewis, head of safety and environment at Southeastern, said: “Because
it’s impossible for our colleagues at stations and on board our trains to
check whether an e-scooter is safe or not, we have to think of everyone’s
safety, and so we can’t allow them on our trains.

“It’s just not a risk we’re prepared to take.”

Meanwhile, Southern Rail said the ban was due to the “limited regulation
around the lithium-ion battery, which has the potential to cause harm
should it malfunction”.

“We understand that you may travel to and from our services in a variety of
ways. However, we are committed to keeping you and our people safe, which
means all e-scooters, e-unicycles, e-skateboards and hoverboards are not
permitted on our trains or in our stations from 1 June,” a spokesperson
said.

Customers will also not be allowed to store e-scooters in railway station
storage facilities or take them on bus replacement services.

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c729l54glwro>

--
Spike