Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 23:54:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cabbie loses private hire licence appeal after not reporting
conviction for crash with cyclist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:54 UTC

Bright Kwarteng took his appeal against Wolverhampton Council's decision to revoke his licence to Dudley Magistrates Court last Friday.

Kwarteng had a private hire licence until October 19 last year, four months after he was convicted of driving without due care and attention as a result of a collision with a cyclist in Telford on November 3, 2021.

The 48-year-old, who lived in Telford at the time of his conviction, was driving a Vauxhall Zafira when he hit the cyclist on Holyhead Road at the Greyhound Roundabout. The collision left the victim with a broken collar bone and broken elbow, with nerve damage in his arm and hand.

On June 15 last year Kwarteng had nine points added onto his licence at Worcester Justice Centre after admitting the charge, as well as being fined £415.

However, Wolverhampton Council said Kwarteng did not inform them of the conviction within 48 hours, something his licence required him to do.

A spokesperson said: "Due to the serious nature of the collision, an immediate revocation of his licence was necessary."

At Friday's appeal hearing, Deputy District Judge M Williams said he accepted the incident was a one-off which resulted in serious injury for the cyclist and a criminal charge for Mr Kwarteng. He also noted the victim had to go to hospital and there is a pending financial claim.

The judge added: "It cannot be ignored the road traffic accident was whilst the appellant was in work. My judgement is that appellant did try to minimise his responsibility and did not take accountability, which raised serious questions marks over whether he can be trusted in the future to be open honest and genuine.

"I do not find the decision wrong. Coming to my conclusion I have made my decision without notice to the DBS issue or the previous warnings received. My decision is made solely on the road traffic accident to which the appellant pleaded guilty.

"It is my judgement the appellant was vague and evasive but more likely disingenuous with his account. I therefore concur with the view this was so serious it was enough to revoke the licence, and the appellant is not a fit and proper person.

"I accordingly dismiss the appeal."

Reacting to the decision, a Wolverhampton Council spokesperson added: "The council always defends appeals against taxi licence refusals, suspensions and revocations to do all we can to ensure the safety of passengers and other road users.

"This decision by the court vindicates the council in taking decisive action against Mr Kwarteng by revoking his licence with immediate effect."

No order for costs was made.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/telford/2023/07/06/driver-loses-private-hire-licence-appeal-after-not-reporting-conviction-for-crash-with-cyclist