From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: e-scooter battery fire confined to kitchen
Date: 6 Jul 2023 12:51:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 12:51 UTC

Pilgrims Hatch fire caused by defective e-scooter battery

26th June 2023

Firefighters are urging people to keep their doors closed at home after an
e-scooter fire was contained to a kitchen.

Fire crews from Basildon, Brentwood and Orsett, were called to a house fire
in Elizabeth Road, Pilgrims Hatch at 2.06pm on Sunday (June 25).

On arrival, crews reported there was a fire in the kitchen, which they
believe was caused by a defective battery on an e-scooter which caught
fire.

Watch manager Mark Elsey, from Brentwood Fire Station, said: “We’d like to
highlight the importance of keeping your doors closed if you can. The fire
was contained to the kitchen and because the kitchen door was shut, the
smoke was also contained to the kitchen.

“Try to make a habit of keeping your doors shut as this can drastically
minimise the damage to your home if there’s a fire. If you discover a fire
in your home, our advice is to get out and dial 999. If it is safe to do so
on your way out, try to close any internal doors when leaving the house.

“We’d also like to highlight the importance of keeping your electrical
cupboards clear as this is a fire risk. It can also delay crews isolating
your power in the event of a fire in your home."

Essex Fire Service has given the following e-scooter safety advice:

Buy your e-scooter from a reputable retailer and follow the manufacturer's
guidance on charging and storing

Store your e-scooter outside and away from escape routes

Always charge it during the day when you are at home

Do not over-charge it – once it is fully charged, unplug it and turn the
charger off

Register it at registermyappliance

Avoid storing, using or charging batteries at very high or low temperatures

Check your battery regularly. If it gets damaged it could catch fire

<https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23615070.pilgrims-hatch-fire-caused-defective-e-scooter-battery/>

--
Spike