From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: NoMowMay->AllFryJuly?
Date: 30 Jul 2022 15:24:31 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 15:24 UTC

I am supportive of the No Mow May initiative which aims to leave valuable
wild life habitats, especially on road verges, undisturbed by cosmetic
mowing.

However at the end of July, with fires everywhere, I look around me and
see tinder dry verges just waiting to catch fire, and parched wild flower
meadows at risk from any stray spark.
There are plenty of pictures of farmers harrowing in crops and stubble to
act as fire breaks where a field is on fire.

Have we reached the point where verges should be mown as a safety
precaution?
Should parkland be mown?
Some local parks have had major fires already.

Just thinking that no good deed goes unpunished. :-(

Cheers

Dave R