Respect is a rational process -- McCoy, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the world

SubjectAuthor
* Crazy cycling laws from around the worldswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the worldJNugent
+* Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the worldswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the worldswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the worldJNugent
`- Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the worldswldx...@gmail.com

1
Crazy cycling laws from around the world

<28e1bd97-ec25-4b55-a355-03ea58e1f65en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30973&group=uk.rec.cycling#30973

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:24:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Crazy cycling laws from around the world
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 20:24 UTC

While it is, quite sensibly an offence in the UK to ride a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol, police officers cannot force a cyclist to undergo a breathalyser test – and because the lack of a test result may make successful prosecution tricky, a charge of careless or reckless cycling may follow instead.

Moreover, since it is not considered a driving offence, even if a conviction for drunk cycling did result, it would not lead to penalty points on a licence or even disqualification from driving.

We are certainly not saying that is crazy to have laws against riding a bike after a few drinks, but some of the punishments in other countries for doing so do seem a bit extreme, as you will see below.

https://road.cc/content/feature/crazy-cycling-laws-around-world-302393

Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the world

<kgomilFgvj7U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30977&group=uk.rec.cycling#30977

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the world
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 21:30:13 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 20:30 UTC

On 06/07/2023 09:24 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav Drunk] wrote:

> While it is, quite sensibly an offence in the UK to ride a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol,

What? Even for *you*, coming back from the pub after a skinful (of which
you have boasted here, more than once)?

> police officers cannot force a cyclist to undergo a breathalyser test – and because the lack of a test result may make successful prosecution tricky, a charge of careless or reckless cycling may follow instead.

Is that why you "thought" you'd get away with it and why you thought
that the safety of other road-users - including pedestrians - didn't matter?

> Moreover, since it is not considered a driving offence, even if a conviction for drunk cycling did result, it would not lead to penalty points on a licence or even disqualification from driving.

Is that why you "thought" you'd get away with it and why you thought
that the safety of other road-users - including pedestrians - didn't matter?

> We are certainly not saying that is crazy to have laws against riding a bike after a few drinks, but some of the punishments in other countries for doing so do seem a bit extreme, as you will see below.

> https://road.cc/content/feature/crazy-cycling-laws-around-world-302393

Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the world

<42252231-c9b1-4f61-b14b-9a2f8aaa8800n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30979&group=uk.rec.cycling#30979

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:31:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 20:31 UTC

Since 1999, there has been no legal requirement for cyclists in Great Britain to have a bell fitted to their bike – although whether it’s a budget bike from a big box store or a sleek racing machine from a high-end dealer, the Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2010 is that one has to be fitted when it is sold and often the first bit of fettling a new bike will get is having the bell removed.

We mention Great Britain specifically because the rule applies to England, Scotland and Wales only – in Northern Ireland, which has its own version of the Highway Code, cyclists “MUST ensure a working bell or horn is fitted.”

Elsewhere, never one to miss an opportunity to hit cyclists with a stonking fine, most usually for riding without a helmet, riding your bike without a bell will land you a hefty fine – up to A$2,200 if you decide to challenge it in court.

Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the world

<148a6b37-ba56-47d8-9737-c6eb460bfd60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30980&group=uk.rec.cycling#30980

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 20:35 UTC

British cyclists share no legal obligation to adhere to the same speed limits as motorists. Motor vehicle speed limits were introduced in 1903 and set at 20mph.

After this limit was routinely breached, the speed limit in towns was changed to 30mph in 1934. Since then there have been no amendments enacted to make cyclists also adhere to the same regulations.

Speed limits listed in the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and also Rule 124 of the Highway Code relate to motor vehicles and not to bicycles.

“It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour.

“A person who drives a motor vehicle on a road at a speed exceeding a limit imposed by or under any enactment to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence.”

Rule 123 of the Highway Code includes a table that sets out the speed limits for various types of vehicle on various categories of road. The table does not include bicycles.

As such, cyclists who breach the speed limit may not be prosecuted for a speeding offence but they can, however, be prosecuted for “cycling furiously” or “wanton and furious cycling.”

“Wanton and furious cycling” is the closest offence to dangerous driving that a cyclist can be charged with although it can only ever be used when the circumstances of a cycling accident involve someone suffering serious injury or death as a direct result of the cyclist’s actions.

Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the world

<kgp0duFil1oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30985&group=uk.rec.cycling#30985

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 00:18:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 23:18 UTC

> British cyclists share no legal obligation to adhere to the same speed limits as motorists. Motor vehicle speed limits were introduced in 1903 and set at 20mph.
>
> After this limit was routinely breached, the speed limit in towns was changed to 30mph in 1934.

Rubbish.

All speed limits were abolished in 1930.

The 30 limit in built up areas was introduced in 1934, along with
various other measures, including driving tests.

There was no sped limit at all outside built-up areas (a situation which
obtained until 1965).

But you didn't even know that.

> Since then there have been no amendments enacted to make cyclists also adhere to the same regulations.
> Speed limits listed in the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and also Rule 124 of the Highway Code relate to motor vehicles and not to bicycles.
> “It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour.
> “A person who drives a motor vehicle on a road at a speed exceeding a limit imposed by or under any enactment to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence.”
> Rule 123 of the Highway Code includes a table that sets out the speed limits for various types of vehicle on various categories of road. The table does not include bicycles.
> As such, cyclists who breach the speed limit may not be prosecuted for a speeding offence but they can, however, be prosecuted for “cycling furiously” or “wanton and furious cycling.”
> “Wanton and furious cycling” is the closest offence to dangerous driving that a cyclist can be charged with although it can only ever be used when the circumstances of a cycling accident involve someone suffering serious injury or death as a direct result of the cyclist’s actions...

....which happens far too often.

Re: Crazy cycling laws from around the world

<975aa0a9-5a99-4719-bf83-0f2414167491n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30986&group=uk.rec.cycling#30986

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 22:37:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:37 UTC

Cyclists are not obligated by law to use the cycle lane and cycle track. It is merely seen as a safer option, and you should consider using either the cycle lanes next to public roads or cycle tracks that are separate from the carriageways. These facilities ensure safer passage for cyclists, but ultimately the choice is yours.

Although there are no set speed limits for cycle paths, some offroad cycle paths indicate a limit of 15mph. Some speed limits also suggest that any speed above 18mph on a bicycle should instead be done on the road. This is not a law but more of a suggestion.