Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely. -- Lord Acton

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Cevpr shock

SubjectAuthor
* Cevpr shockAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* Re: Cevpr shockHymermut
|`- Re: Cevpr shockJeff Gaines
+* Re: Cevpr shockhubops
|`- Re: Cevpr shockBernard Peek
+* Re: Cevpr shockTheo
|+* Re: Cevpr shockAhem A Rivet's Shot
||`* Re: Cevpr shockSn!pe
|| +* Re: Cevpr shockJohn Williamson
|| |`* Re: Cevpr shockSn!pe
|| | +* Re: Cevpr shockJohn Williamson
|| | +* Re: Cevpr shockAhem A Rivet's Shot
|| | `* Re: Cevpr shockme9
|| |  `- Re: Cevpr shockSn!pe
|| `- Re: Cevpr shockAhem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Re: Cevpr shockAhem A Rivet's Shot
+- Re: Cevpr shockNicholas D. Richards
`- Re: Cevpr shockBrian Gaff

Pages:123
Re: Cevpr shock

<ZeOoN.260709$94X4.185361@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30654&group=uk.rec.sheds#30654

From: nomad@the.desert.invalid (The Nomad)
Subject: Re: Cevpr shock
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:58:17 GMT
 by: The Nomad - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:58 UTC

On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 00:36:59 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
<nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:

> In article <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 20:00:24 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Do we have those now that we've escaped from Yurp?
>>>
>>We've haddem a *long* time. They even use 'em in 'Murica.
>>
>>> I've never heard of IUs before, I still cleave to the FFF system.
>>> I do know what vitamins and microgrammes are though, even if I'm not
>>> entirely sure whether or not to approve of them.
>>>
>>Vitamins is usually a Good Thing. (tm)
>>
> Trew, but too much vitamins is usually also a very bad thing.
>
> I remember an inquest in the early 70's on a guy who got it into his
> head that carrot juice was good for you because of it being a source of
> vitamin A. So he was drinking about a gallon a day. He turned bright
> orange but did not take that as warning. He died of Vitamin A poisoning.

/c.f./ Polar Bear Liver (& others)

Wiki-thingy says
<quote>
Overconsumption of beta-carotene can only cause carotenosis, a harmless
and reversible cosmetic condition in which the skin turns orange.

doi:10.1079/PNS2003306.
<quote>

Avpx
--
The Patrician relaxed, in a way which only then drew gentle attention
to the foregoing moment of tension. (Men at Arms)

Re: Cevpr shock

<slrnuq7dc5.7r5.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30655&group=uk.rec.sheds#30655

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 14 Jan 2024 10:20:53 GMT
 by: maus - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:20 UTC

On 2024-01-14, Nicholas D. Richards <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
><johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 20:00:24 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>Vitamins is usually a Good Thing. (tm)
>>
> Trew, but too much vitamins is usually also a very bad thing.
>
> I remember an inquest in the early 70's on a guy who got it into his
> head that carrot juice was good for you because of it being a source of
> vitamin A. So he was drinking about a gallon a day. He turned bright
> orange but did not take that as warning. He died of Vitamin A poisoning.

No, he didnt, he cut back on the carrot juice, and is presently going
for president in the US :))))

When I was farming/shepherding, a company in the UK started producing
artificial milk for orphan lambs. whoever was mixing the stuff, mixed up
too much vitamin C (I think) and lambs fed with the stuff started to
show zero growth, and had to be put down humanely. Cost a lot of money,
and cruelty. Eat a normal diet and you should be all right.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Is There not even an .Influencer to impale?

Re: Cevpr shock

<XnsB0F9757C048BEFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30659&group=uk.rec.sheds#30659

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 11:32:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 11:32 UTC

The Nomad <nomad@the.desert.invalid> wrote in news:ZeOoN.260709$94X4.185361
@usenetxs.com:

> On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 00:36:59 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
> <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 20:00:24 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>>We've haddem a *long* time. They even use 'em in 'Murica.

>>>Vitamins is usually a Good Thing. (tm)
>>>
>> Trew, but too much vitamins is usually also a very bad thing.
>>
>> I remember an inquest in the early 70's on a guy who got it into his
>> head that carrot juice was good for you because of it being a source of
>> vitamin A. So he was drinking about a gallon a day. He turned bright
>> orange but did not take that as warning. He died of Vitamin A poisoning.
>

> /c.f./ Polar Bear Liver (& others)
>
> Wiki-thingy says
> <quote>
> Overconsumption of beta-carotene can only cause carotenosis, a harmless
> and reversible cosmetic condition in which the skin turns orange.
>
> doi:10.1079/PNS2003306.
> <quote>

Nevertheless, the bloke did die of overconsumption of carrots. He jbexed
for Thames Water, and I knew of him through my then obff who had been a
colleague of his.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Cevpr shock

<l0i2anF6n5nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30662&group=uk.rec.sheds#30662

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 12:28:07 +0000
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 12:28 UTC

On 14/01/2024 00:36, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 20:00:24 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Do we have those now that we've escaped from Yurp?
>>>
>> We've haddem a *long* time. They even use 'em in 'Murica.
>>
>>> I've never heard of IUs before, I still cleave to the FFF system.
>>> I do know what vitamins and microgrammes are though, even if I'm
>>> not entirely sure whether or not to approve of them.
>>>
>> Vitamins is usually a Good Thing. (tm)
>>
> Trew, but too much vitamins is usually also a very bad thing.
>
> I remember an inquest in the early 70's on a guy who got it into his
> head that carrot juice was good for you because of it being a source of
> vitamin A. So he was drinking about a gallon a day. He turned bright
> orange but did not take that as warning. He died of Vitamin A poisoning.

And too much vit D can trigger migraines in some folks...

HTH, Chris

Re: Cevpr shock

<jWNndTAyi+olFA7f@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30664&group=uk.rec.sheds#30664

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:59:14 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:59 UTC

In article <XnsB0F9757C048BEFactura3476@135.181.20.170>, Peter
<myshed@prune.org.uk> on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 at 11:32:53 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>The Nomad <nomad@the.desert.invalid> wrote in news:ZeOoN.260709$94X4.185361
>@usenetxs.com:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 00:36:59 +0000, "Nicholas D. Richards"
>> <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 20:00:24 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> Trew, but too much vitamins is usually also a very bad thing.
>>>
>>> I remember an inquest in the early 70's on a guy who got it into his
>>> head that carrot juice was good for you because of it being a source of
>>> vitamin A. So he was drinking about a gallon a day. He turned bright
>>> orange but did not take that as warning. He died of Vitamin A poisoning.
>>

>> /c.f./ Polar Bear Liver (& others)
>>
>> Wiki-thingy says
>> <quote>
>> Overconsumption of beta-carotene can only cause carotenosis, a harmless
>> and reversible cosmetic condition in which the skin turns orange.
>>
>> doi:10.1079/PNS2003306.
>> <quote>
>
>Nevertheless, the bloke did die of overconsumption of carrots. He jbexed
>for Thames Water, and I knew of him through my then obff who had been a
>colleague of his.

February 1974 was the date of the inquest in Croydon on Basil Brown who
drank 10 gallons of Carrot Juice in 10 days. It would appear that he had
supplemented this with Vitamin A tablets.

We read the Grauniad, Torygraph and Times in our office (I remember
because we did the cryptic crosswords in these papers). I remember us
chortling about it, particularly that he had been warned about it and
did not stop when he turned the colour of a carrot. I have not been able
to search the archives of these papers.

The only contemporary report I can find is from the New York Times of
that February.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Cevpr shock

<pWrl9eAqr+olFAbX@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30665&group=uk.rec.sheds#30665

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:08:42 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:08 UTC

In article <l0i2anF6n5nU2@mid.individual.net>, chrisnd@privacy.net
<chrisnd@privacy.net> on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 at 12:28:07 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 14/01/2024 00:36, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>> In article <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 20:00:24 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>the

>>> We've haddem a *long* time. They even use 'em in 'Murica.

>>> Vitamins is usually a Good Thing. (tm)
>>>
>> Trew, but too much vitamins is usually also a very bad thing.
>>
>> I remember an inquest in the early 70's on a guy who got it into his
>> head that carrot juice was good for you because of it being a source of
>> vitamin A. So he was drinking about a gallon a day. He turned bright
>> orange but did not take that as warning. He died of Vitamin A poisoning.
>
>And too much vit D can trigger migraines in some folks...

Apparently you cannot overdose on Vitamin D if it is naturally produced
in the skin, only if you take too much supplementary Vitamin D.

In susceptible people large doses (natural or supplemented) of Vitamin C
can trigger the development of kidney stones, as I have experienced,
painfully.

Overdose on Vitamin A is a killer. People have died from eating the
liver of the polar bear and certain seals, who have unusually high
levels of it stored in their livers.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Cevpr shock

<uo0qoo$fasl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30668&group=uk.rec.sheds#30668

From: chris@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:23:19 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:23 UTC

On 14/01/2024 14:08, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <l0i2anF6n5nU2@mid.individual.net>, chrisnd@privacy.net
> <chrisnd@privacy.net> on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 at 12:28:07 awoke Nicholas
> from his slumbers and wrote
>> On 14/01/2024 00:36, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 20:00:24 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>> the

>>> Trew, but too much vitamins is usually also a very bad thing.
>>>
>>> I remember an inquest in the early 70's on a guy who got it into his
>>> head that carrot juice was good for you because of it being a source of
>>> vitamin A. So he was drinking about a gallon a day. He turned bright
>>> orange but did not take that as warning. He died of Vitamin A poisoning.
>>
>> And too much vit D can trigger migraines in some folks...
>
> Apparently you cannot overdose on Vitamin D if it is naturally produced
> in the skin, only if you take too much supplementary Vitamin D.
>
> In susceptible people large doses (natural or supplemented) of Vitamin C
> can trigger the development of kidney stones, as I have experienced,
> painfully.
>
> Overdose on Vitamin A is a killer. People have died from eating the
> liver of the polar bear and certain seals, who have unusually high
> levels of it stored in their livers.

Dog liver, too. Old episode of "New Tricks". Jack (I think) gets poisoned.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT BARF UNLESS I'M SICK

Re: Cevpr shock

<l0iajbF6n5nU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30670&group=uk.rec.sheds#30670

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:49:15 +0000
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:49 UTC

On 14/01/2024 14:08, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <l0i2anF6n5nU2@mid.individual.net>, chrisnd@privacy.net
> <chrisnd@privacy.net> on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 at 12:28:07 awoke Nicholas
> from his slumbers and wrote
>> On 14/01/2024 00:36, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
>>> In article <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 at 20:00:24 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>> the

>>> Trew, but too much vitamins is usually also a very bad thing.
>>>
>>> I remember an inquest in the early 70's on a guy who got it into his
>>> head that carrot juice was good for you because of it being a source of
>>> vitamin A. So he was drinking about a gallon a day. He turned bright
>>> orange but did not take that as warning. He died of Vitamin A poisoning.
>>
>> And too much vit D can trigger migraines in some folks...
>
> Apparently you cannot overdose on Vitamin D if it is naturally produced
> in the skin, only if you take too much supplementary Vitamin D.

<ding!>

....or fish...

Chris

Re: Cevpr shock

<l0ig05F929dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30675&group=uk.rec.sheds#30675

From: bap@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 14 Jan 2024 16:21:25 GMT
 by: Bernard Peek - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:21 UTC

On 2024-01-12, hubops@ccanoemail.com <hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:20:38 +0000, Ahem A Rivet's Shot
><steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>
>> After the last run of routine blood tests the quack said that my
>>vitamin D levels were a bit low and I should take supplements to bring them
>>back up. So off to the chemist I went, looked at the offerings and ohled a
>>bockle of 30 tablets for 10 EuZU (33.3 scents each).
>>
>> Time passes, bockle nearly empty, time to top up. Sioping in local
>>horrible market I find a box of 90 tablets (same strength) for 6.5 EuZU
>>(7.22 scents each). I expected the chemist to be a bit zbarlous but not
>>nearly five times the cevpr.
>

> When my elderly Mum went into the nursing home, they started her on
> a Vitamin D supplement as a general practice - brittle bones and
> lack of sunshine & such :
>
> https://www.cadth.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/Vitamin-D_Elderly_Patients_es-12_e.pdf

My mum was on vitamin D/Calcium supplements. Now the doc has put me on the
same, low calcium levels innit.

--
Bernard Peek
bap@shrdlu.com

Re: Cevpr shock

<l0iu5nF7s0aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30683&group=uk.rec.sheds#30683

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:23:17 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:23 UTC

On 13/01/2024 20:00, John Williamson wrote:
> On 13/01/2024 19:43, Sn!pe wrote:
>> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> International Units. for vitamin D, 40 IU is one microgramme. The NHS
>>> recommended daily dose is 10 microgrammes, or 400 IU.
>>>

>> Do we have those now that we've escaped from Yurp?
>>
> We've haddem a *long* time. They even use 'em in 'Murica.

However, they don't get used as units in which medication is sold
IYSWIM. Vitamins (or anything) comes in ug or mg quantities. The IU
(which I've not come across before, despite jbexing for several years on
a pharmaceutical warehouse & ordering system) is a point of information,
analogous to fat, carb, etc measurements on an ingredients list.

Re: Cevpr shock

<20240114212924.031637582cfbf8bc2c82c055@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30684&group=uk.rec.sheds#30684

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:29:24 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:29 UTC

On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:23:17 +0000
Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> However, they don't get used as units in which medication is sold

Yes they do.

> IYSWIM. Vitamins (or anything) comes in ug or mg quantities. The IU

Every packet of Vitamin D tablets I've seen is labelled primarily
in iu, you sometimes have to look quite hard to find μg on the packaging,
I'm not sure it's always there. This from a typical listing on Amazon:

Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 2200 IU (55 µg) Vegetable Capsules - Pack of
100 -

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Cevpr shock

<l0jfaaF7s0aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30685&group=uk.rec.sheds#30685

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 01:15:51 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 01:15 UTC

On 14/01/2024 21:29, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:23:17 +0000
> Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> However, they don't get used as units in which medication is sold
>
> Yes they do.
>
>> IYSWIM. Vitamins (or anything) comes in ug or mg quantities. The IU
>
> Every packet of Vitamin D tablets I've seen is labelled primarily
> in iu, you sometimes have to look quite hard to find μg on the packaging,
> I'm not sure it's always there. This from a typical listing on Amazon:
>
> Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 2200 IU (55 µg) Vegetable Capsules - Pack of
> 100 -

https://www.boots.com/vitamin-d-10-food-supplement-180-tablets-10302674

But having looked on Amazon, I'll agree with you about those.

Re: Cevpr shock

<lap0ri1747b9jngp3bgja9i03nkk06dplu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30948&group=uk.rec.sheds#30948

From: znep@cleopatra.co.uk (Znep)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 01:19:12 +0000
References: <20240112132038.e7d434f4657907e5dd3168cc@eircom.net> <Lkc*nhhAz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <20240113072425.60d948c11c2580832427ee8a@eircom.net> <1qnaav0.exvoi9ftwx3pN%snipeco.2@gmail.com> <l0g5l1FqrdqU1@mid.individual.net> <1qnae9u.17z85ip18izq09N%snipeco.2@gmail.com> <l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net> <9Krg6qAryyolFA4h@salmiron.com> <l0i2anF6n5nU2@mid.individual.net> <pWrl9eAqr+olFAbX@salmiron.com>
x-face: -m#-"$,_`ygSOey#DRw:pPyFW,=WRwA0z{Azbg*=x4Ln\8W2_X+1QMrFV7_lU'X_7J/CPiT{pp"Qj>1?hIQGT{
 by: Znep - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 01:19 UTC

In uk.rec.sheds, (Nicholas D. Richards) wrote in
<pWrl9eAqr+olFAbX@salmiron.com>::

>Overdose on Vitamin A is a killer. People have died from eating the
>liver of the polar bear and certain seals, who have unusually high
>levels of it stored in their livers.

The USAF survival manual advises against eating polar bear liver.

If you crash somewhere with polar bears, who is eating whose liver may
be a moot point.
--
Marc Wilson

Cleopatra Consultants Limited - IT Consultants
Fernrhoyd, Chester Road, Alpraham, Tarporley, Cheshire CW6 9JE
Tel: (44/0) 1829 262696 Mobile: (44/0) 7973 359850
Mail: enquiries@cleopatra.co.uk Web: http://www.cleopatra.co.uk
Registered in England and Wales no: 2588943 VAT Reg: 561 1182 69
Registered office: c/o Beever & Struthers, One Express,
1 George Leigh Street, Ancoats, Manchester M4 5DL

https://plus.google.com/100816173414569062406

Re: Cevpr shock

<slrnur1m2a.6ip.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30952&group=uk.rec.sheds#30952

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 24 Jan 2024 09:28:42 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:28 UTC

On 2024-01-24, Znep <znep@cleopatra.co.uk> wrote:
> In uk.rec.sheds, (Nicholas D. Richards) wrote in
><pWrl9eAqr+olFAbX@salmiron.com>::
>

>>Overdose on Vitamin A is a killer. People have died from eating the
>>liver of the polar bear and certain seals, who have unusually high
>>levels of it stored in their livers.
>
> The USAF survival manual advises against eating polar bear liver.
>
> If you crash somewhere with polar bears, who is eating whose liver may
> be a moot point.

I used to read the National Geographic, and I remember articles about
nuclear bomber crews surviving. How crazy was the whole concept?

--
greymausg@mail.com
Is There not even an .Influencer to impale?
Charles I, beheaded, Charles II, killed by doctors, What is happen to Chuck III?

Re: Cevpr shock

<l1cmj0Fh0o2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30971&group=uk.rec.sheds#30971

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:53:20 +0000
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:53 UTC

On 24/01/2024 01:19, Znep wrote:
> In uk.rec.sheds, (Nicholas D. Richards) wrote in
> <pWrl9eAqr+olFAbX@salmiron.com>::
>

>> Overdose on Vitamin A is a killer. People have died from eating the
>> liver of the polar bear and certain seals, who have unusually high
>> levels of it stored in their livers.
>
> The USAF survival manual advises against eating polar bear liver.

IMRT as
"The USAF survival manual advises against eating polar bear live"

Chris

Re: Cevpr shock

<16piWKAyySslFAaw@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30985&group=uk.rec.sheds#30985

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:28:50 +0000
<l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net> <9Krg6qAryyolFA4h@salmiron.com>
<l0i2anF6n5nU2@mid.individual.net> <pWrl9eAqr+olFAbX@salmiron.com>
<lap0ri1747b9jngp3bgja9i03nkk06dplu@4ax.com>
<l1cmj0Fh0o2U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:28 UTC

In article <l1cmj0Fh0o2U1@mid.individual.net>, chrisnd@privacy.net
<chrisnd@privacy.net> on Wed, 24 Jan 2024 at 14:53:20 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>On 24/01/2024 01:19, Znep wrote:
>> In uk.rec.sheds, (Nicholas D. Richards) wrote in
>> <pWrl9eAqr+olFAbX@salmiron.com>::
>>

>>> Overdose on Vitamin A is a killer. People have died from eating the
>>> liver of the polar bear and certain seals, who have unusually high
>>> levels of it stored in their livers.
>>
>> The USAF survival manual advises against eating polar bear liver.
>
>IMRT as
>"The USAF survival manual advises against eating polar bear live"

Being wild they get pretty livid if you try.*

*Old jok somewhere in there.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Cevpr shock

<l5V0fLJG4SslFwp$@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30991&group=uk.rec.sheds#30991

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:34:30 +0000
<l0g8epFrbmfU1@mid.individual.net> <9Krg6qAryyolFA4h@salmiron.com>
<l0i2anF6n5nU2@mid.individual.net> <pWrl9eAqr+olFAbX@salmiron.com>
<lap0ri1747b9jngp3bgja9i03nkk06dplu@4ax.com>
<l1cmj0Fh0o2U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Adrian - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:34 UTC

In message <l1cmj0Fh0o2U1@mid.individual.net>, "chrisnd@privacy.net"
<chrisnd@privacy.net> writes
>On 24/01/2024 01:19, Znep wrote:
>> The USAF survival manual advises against eating polar bear liver.
>
>IMRT as
>"The USAF survival manual advises against eating polar bear live"

I suspect that doing so may aggravate the bear, which is not generally a
Good Thing (tm).

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Cevpr shock

<uosjkm$25pbc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31025&group=uk.rec.sheds#31025

From: peter@tsto.co.uk (Peter Fairbrother)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 03:13:26 +0000
 by: Peter Fairbrother - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 03:13 UTC

On 14/01/2024 07:36, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 22:39:20 +0000
> snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
>> I've just had a goove: the gramme being the mass of 10 millilitres* of
>
> One millilitre.
>
>> specifically watter, what fluid is the basis of the mass of the firkin?
>
> Probably dihydrogen-monoxide.
>
>> Ybtvpnyyl it should be ale, of course, but of what O.G.? I assume that
>> the finished ale would be fully fermented out, obvs.
>
> The OG doesn't matter once it's fermented out, the FG is always 1000
> near as dammit (at least it was when I brewed - even the quite popular 1150
> OG barely wine).

Chemists typically use 1.01 as the density of finished beer - a 5%
alcohol/water mix would have a density of 0.99279, but there are other
flavoury things which increase the density.

Actual values for real beers typically vary between 1.008 and 1.015,
with Guiness being a surprisingly low 1.006.

Lagers are about 1.005, but I don't consider them to be beers - I will
still drink them though.

All of which values are given at 20 degrees C - but would anyone drink
beer at 20 C?,

And all of which are fairly close to 1.00 g/cm3.

To get a bit back on track, the vitamin D in a tablet will vary from
about 400 iu to about 4,000 iu. For black-skinned people in Blighty in
winter I'd recommend 1,000 iu as a maintenance dose, 400 iu should be
okay for white-skinned people.

Sometimes it is a good idea to stock the body up, which is what I would
use the 4,000 iu ones for, but I would heartily disrecommend taking them
for long periods.

An iu of vitamin D is 0.000000025g or 25 nanograms. iu's of different
vitamins have different weights, go figure (literally).

As Vitamin D pbfgf about £6 per gram in quantity, the vitamin D in a
pack of 100 4,000 iu tablets would pbfg the manufacturer 6 pence.

If humans didn't need to synthesize vitamin D using UVb from sunlight we
would all be black-skinned.

Black-skinned people have melanin in their skins which makes them black
and protects from damage by UVc radiation, a very good thing.
Unfortunately melanin also blocks the UVb needed to make vitamin D from
cholesterol.

Peter Fairbrother

Re: Cevpr shock

<20240125085356.7e09a80977f341e6cf1a89a8@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31028&group=uk.rec.sheds#31028

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:53:56 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 08:53 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 03:13:26 +0000
Peter Fairbrother <peter@tsto.co.uk> wrote:

> On 14/01/2024 07:36, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> > The OG doesn't matter once it's fermented out, the FG is always
> > 1000 near as dammit (at least it was when I brewed - even the quite
> > popular 1150 OG barely wine).
>
> Chemists typically use 1.01 as the density of finished beer - a 5%
> alcohol/water mix would have a density of 0.99279, but there are other
> flavoury things which increase the density.
>
> Actual values for real beers typically vary between 1.008 and 1.015,
> with Guiness being a surprisingly low 1.006.

> And all of which are fairly close to 1.00 g/cm3.

Probably as close as my hydrometer could measure.

> To get a bit back on track, the vitamin D in a tablet will vary from
> about 400 iu to about 4,000 iu. For black-skinned people in Blighty in
> winter I'd recommend 1,000 iu as a maintenance dose, 400 iu should be
> okay for white-skinned people.

When I saw that range in the chemist I went for the 1000iu which
was the most common size. Later (assbackards I know) I did some research
and decided that spending a couple of months of 1000iu per day then
dropping to 3 tablets a week made sense.

> As Vitamin D pbfgf about £6 per gram in quantity, the vitamin D in a
> pack of 100 4,000 iu tablets would pbfg the manufacturer 6 pence.

So €10 for 30 1000iu tablets was a massive ripoff.

> Unfortunately melanin also blocks the UVb needed to make vitamin D from
> cholesterol.

Oh now that's interesting I did not know that vitamin D was made
from cholesterol. I'm taking statins to knock that down, maybe I should get
out in the sun more <lwks outside> if only there was some.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
For forms of government let fools contest
Whate're is best administered is best - Alexander Pope

Re: Cevpr shock

<slrnur4cms.5hj.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31032&group=uk.rec.sheds#31032

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 25 Jan 2024 10:07:24 GMT
<20240125085356.7e09a80977f341e6cf1a89a8@eircom.net>
 by: maus - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:07 UTC

On 2024-01-25, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 03:13:26 +0000
> Peter Fairbrother <peter@tsto.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 14/01/2024 07:36, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>
>> > The OG doesn't matter once it's fermented out, the FG is always
>> > 1000 near as dammit (at least it was when I brewed - even the quite
>> > popular 1150 OG barely wine).
>>
>> Chemists typically use 1.01 as the density of finished beer - a 5%
>> alcohol/water mix would have a density of 0.99279, but there are other
>> flavoury things which increase the density.
>>
>> Actual values for real beers typically vary between 1.008 and 1.015,
>> with Guiness being a surprisingly low 1.006.
>
>> And all of which are fairly close to 1.00 g/cm3.
>
> Probably as close as my hydrometer could measure.
>
>> To get a bit back on track, the vitamin D in a tablet will vary from
>> about 400 iu to about 4,000 iu. For black-skinned people in Blighty in
>> winter I'd recommend 1,000 iu as a maintenance dose, 400 iu should be
>> okay for white-skinned people.

Do white skinned people in Blighty need Vitamin D at all?. I know that a
lot of stuff sold in Chemists is not, and I have heard that too much
vitamins can be dangerous.

> When I saw that range in the chemist I went for the 1000iu which
> was the most common size. Later (assbackards I know) I did some research
> and decided that spending a couple of months of 1000iu per day then
> dropping to 3 tablets a week made sense.
>
>> As Vitamin D pbfgf about £6 per gram in quantity, the vitamin D in a
>> pack of 100 4,000 iu tablets would pbfg the manufacturer 6 pence.
>
> So €10 for 30 1000iu tablets was a massive ripoff.
>
>> Unfortunately melanin also blocks the UVb needed to make vitamin D from
>> cholesterol.
>
> Oh now that's interesting I did not know that vitamin D was made
> from cholesterol. I'm taking statins to knock that down, maybe I should get
> out in the sun more <lwks outside> if only there was some.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Is There not even an .Influencer to impale?
Charles I, beheaded, Charles II, killed by doctors, What is happen to Chuck III?

Re: Cevpr shock

<uotfig$29cj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31044&group=uk.rec.sheds#31044

From: peter@tsto.co.uk (Peter Fairbrother)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:10:07 +0000
<20240125085356.7e09a80977f341e6cf1a89a8@eircom.net>
<slrnur4cms.5hj.maus@deb2.org>
 by: Peter Fairbrother - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:10 UTC

On 25/01/2024 10:07, maus wrote:
> On 2024-01-25, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 03:13:26 +0000
>> Peter Fairbrother <peter@tsto.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
>>> To get a bit back on track, the vitamin D in a tablet will vary from
>>> about 400 iu to about 4,000 iu. For black-skinned people in Blighty in
>>> winter I'd recommend 1,000 iu as a maintenance dose, 400 iu should be
>>> okay for white-skinned people.
>
> Do white skinned people in Blighty need Vitamin D at all?.

Yes, in winter. The vitamin D levels of white skinned people in Blighty
fall in winter, often to unsatisfactory levels. A small supplement is
indicated.

I believe the HNS recommends 400 iu per day from supplements. Seems
sensible to me.

People clothe themselves as it's cold and wet and their skin doesn't get
exposed to sunlight much, if at all. Vitamin D levels can get very low,
especially if diets are unusual.

Most white skinned people in Blighty would likely benefit from vitamin D
supplements. If not, if they already have enough vitamin D, taken in
suitable doses vitamin D supplements will do no harm.

There was some recent-ish research about vitamin D and COVID which
showed that people who had really bad reactions to COVID had, as a
group, lower vitamin D levels than a control group.

People mistook that to mean that having lots of vitamin D would be a
good thing and protect against the worst effects of COVID, but that's
not what the research showed.

What it showed was that having insufficient vitamin D is a bad thing. No
surprise there, as the functions of vitamin D in the immune system are
well-known.

However this misunderstanding went a bit viral, and grew a fashion for
taking overly large doses, which can do harm, and contrarily thinking
that taking vitamin D at all is a bad thing, which can also do harm.
Moderation is all.

> I know that a lot of stuff sold in Chemists is not,

50 years ago I lived in Ireland and had a part-time job certifying
batches of vitamin pills. Had to pay for a MRSC to be able to do it legally.

Nowadays this batch certification is not needed for vitamins (or food
supplements in general), so it is possible that pills labelled vitamin D
are not actually vitamin D, but I think it unlikely to happen often.

Could be wrong, but I'd want good evidence to be convinced that Boots
vitamin D pills don't contain the nominal amount of vitamin D.

> and I have heard that too much vitamins can be dangerous.

Yes.

Peter Fairbrother

Re: Cevpr shock

<uotg8r$29flj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31047&group=uk.rec.sheds#31047

From: peter@tsto.co.uk (Peter Fairbrother)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:22:03 +0000
<20240125085356.7e09a80977f341e6cf1a89a8@eircom.net>
 by: Peter Fairbrother - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 11:22 UTC

On 25/01/2024 08:53, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 03:13:26 +0000
> Peter Fairbrother <peter@tsto.co.uk> wrote:

>> Unfortunately melanin also blocks the UVb needed to make vitamin D from
>> cholesterol.
>
> Oh now that's interesting I did not know that vitamin D was made
> from cholesterol. I'm taking statins to knock that down, maybe I should get
> out in the sun more <lwks outside> if only there was some.

Was a time when I could write out the structures and reactions from
memory, but that was some decades ago. :(

However I can still look them up in my Google memory :) and the wetware
would still understand them. :)

Peter Fairbrother

Re: Cevpr shock

<uotnta$2alnk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31056&group=uk.rec.sheds#31056

From: tone@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:32:25 +0000
<20240125085356.7e09a80977f341e6cf1a89a8@eircom.net>
<slrnur4cms.5hj.maus@deb2.org> <uotfig$29cj7$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Hymermut - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:32 UTC

On 25/01/2024 11:10, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> What it showed was that having insufficient vitamin D is a bad thing. No
> surprise there, as the functions of vitamin D in the immune system are
> well-known.

About four years ago I was in so much joint pain all over my body I
could hardly get out of bed.

It was so bad my GP was called out. He immediately (almost) diagnosed
very low Vitamin D. I was put on an intensive course, and within three
days I was right as rain.

But then I found they wouldn't subscribe it regularly. I was advised to
buy my own, which I still do to this day.

Tone

Re: Cevpr shock

<uotocs$2aohf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31058&group=uk.rec.sheds#31058

From: chris@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:40:43 +0000
<20240125085356.7e09a80977f341e6cf1a89a8@eircom.net>
<slrnur4cms.5hj.maus@deb2.org> <uotfig$29cj7$1@dont-email.me>
<uotnta$2alnk$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Chris Elvidge - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:40 UTC

On 25/01/2024 13:32, Hymermut wrote:
> On 25/01/2024 11:10, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
>> What it showed was that having insufficient vitamin D is a bad thing.
>> No surprise there, as the functions of vitamin D in the immune system
>> are well-known.
>

> About four years ago I was in so much joint pain all over my body I
> could hardly get out of bed.
>
> It was so bad my GP was called out. He immediately (almost) diagnosed
> very low Vitamin D. I was put on an intensive course, and within three
> days I was right as rain.
>
> But then I found they wouldn't subscribe it regularly. I was advised to
> buy my own, which I still do to this day.
>
> Tone

When I went into hospital to have some stones removed from bile duct,
they said I had low vitamin D and gave me an injection of it. No talk of
pills to keep it up afterwards, though.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT BELCH THE NATIONAL ANTHEM

Re: Cevpr shock

<slrnur56jd.lhv.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31071&group=uk.rec.sheds#31071

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 25 Jan 2024 17:29:17 GMT
<20240125085356.7e09a80977f341e6cf1a89a8@eircom.net>
<slrnur4cms.5hj.maus@deb2.org> <uotfig$29cj7$1@dont-email.me>
<uotnta$2alnk$1@dont-email.me>
 by: maus - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:29 UTC

On 2024-01-25, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
> On 25/01/2024 11:10, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
>> What it showed was that having insufficient vitamin D is a bad thing. No
>> surprise there, as the functions of vitamin D in the immune system are
>> well-known.
>

> About four years ago I was in so much joint pain all over my body I
> could hardly get out of bed.
>
> It was so bad my GP was called out.

You have a GP that calls out?`