Every time I look at you I am more convinced of Darwin's theory.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

SubjectAuthor
* Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phoneswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using hisJNugent
+* Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phoneswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using hisJNugent
|`- Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spottedSpike
+* Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phoneswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: "Driver" reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using hisJNugent
+* Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phoneswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spottedSpike
`- Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phoneswldx...@gmail.com

1
Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<eb2c59ca-31e6-42ad-ae96-14f40a2071a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31050&group=uk.rec.cycling#31050

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 19:48 UTC

A dangerous driver reached speeds over 100mph while trying to evade a police dog handler.

Kyther Pargeter, 33, of Surrey Avenue in Cheltenham, hit double the speed limit during a police pursuit on Monday 24 January last year.

Dog handler PC Ben Smith was patrolling on Redmarley Road in the Battledown area of the Cheltenham when he spotted Pargeter driving while on his mobile phone.

PC Smith, who was formerly a Roads Policing Officer, stopped Pargeter and detained him by his vehicle while he checked his driving licence.

But Pargeter fled, getting back into his car and driving away before PC Smith could reach him.

A pursuit ensued, in which Pargeter drove through residential roads at dangerous speeds. At one point he was driving at 90mph in a 50mph zone.

Pargeter’s route took him through Whaddon Road, Cromwell Road, Mendip Road, Prestbury Road, Prestbury High Street, the B4632 Southam Road.

Then he took the B4632 Cheltenham Road towards Winchcombe and B4632 Toddington before abandoning the vehicle in a housing estate and running away.

Still refusing to stop for the officer, PC Smith finally had to use his Taser to bring the chase to a conclusion.

Pargeter was subsequently arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and released on police bail before later being postal charged with the motoring offence.

As part of the investigation it was never established why Pargeter drove off following what was a routine stop.

Pargeter appeared at Gloucester Crown Court on Monday 3 July where he was sentenced to 14 months in prison suspended for 18 months and disqualified from driving for two years.

He was also ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work, undertake a rehabilitation requirement of 20 days and pay a fine of £156.

Following the sentencing PC Smith commented on Pargeter’s actions saying: "Kyther drove recklessly while trying to evade me and it is lucky that he didn’t cause any further harm.

"We are constantly risk assessing pursuits, which can dynamically change, and considering the safety of the public is at the forefront, Police Dog Arnie was in the car with me at the time and I also needed to consider his welfare due to the speeds Pargeter was travelling at.

"Pargeter showed a complete disregard for the safety of himself, his pet dog which was in his car and more importantly members of the public."

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2023-07-07/driver-reached-speeds-of-100mph-after-being-spotted-using-his-phone

Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<kgttblFc30mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31051&group=uk.rec.cycling#31051

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his
phone
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 20:56:37 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 19:56 UTC

> A dangerous driver reached speeds over 100mph while trying to evade a police dog handler.
> Kyther Pargeter, 33, of Surrey Avenue in Cheltenham, hit double the speed limit during a police pursuit on Monday 24 January last year.
> Dog handler PC Ben Smith was patrolling on Redmarley Road in the Battledown area of the Cheltenham when he spotted Pargeter driving while on his mobile phone.
> PC Smith, who was formerly a Roads Policing Officer, stopped Pargeter and detained him by his vehicle while he checked his driving licence.
> But Pargeter fled, getting back into his car and driving away before PC Smith could reach him.
> A pursuit ensued, in which Pargeter drove through residential roads at dangerous speeds. At one point he was driving at 90mph in a 50mph zone.
> Pargeter’s route took him through Whaddon Road, Cromwell Road, Mendip Road, Prestbury Road, Prestbury High Street, the B4632 Southam Road.
> Then he took the B4632 Cheltenham Road towards Winchcombe and B4632 Toddington before abandoning the vehicle in a housing estate and running away.
> Still refusing to stop for the officer, PC Smith finally had to use his Taser to bring the chase to a conclusion.
> Pargeter was subsequently arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and released on police bail before later being postal charged with the motoring offence.
> As part of the investigation it was never established why Pargeter drove off following what was a routine stop.
> Pargeter appeared at Gloucester Crown Court on Monday 3 July where he was sentenced to 14 months in prison suspended for 18 months and disqualified from driving for two years.
> He was also ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work, undertake a rehabilitation requirement of 20 days and pay a fine of £156.
> Following the sentencing PC Smith commented on Pargeter’s actions saying: "Kyther drove recklessly while trying to evade me and it is lucky that he didn’t cause any further harm.
> "We are constantly risk assessing pursuits, which can dynamically change, and considering the safety of the public is at the forefront, Police Dog Arnie was in the car with me at the time and I also needed to consider his welfare due to the speeds Pargeter was travelling at.
> "Pargeter showed a complete disregard for the safety of himself, his pet dog which was in his car and more importantly members of the public."

> https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2023-07-07/driver-reached-speeds-of-100mph-after-being-spotted-using-his-phone

Was it PC Smith who was on the chav-cycle?

Or did Arnie have his own?

Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<591cb1c3-1471-47ba-92e1-627df9bcbeedn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31052&group=uk.rec.cycling#31052

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 13:38:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 20:38 UTC

QUOTE: Pargeter appeared at Gloucester Crown Court on Monday 3 July where he was sentenced to 14 months in prison suspended for 18 months and disqualified from driving for two years. ENDS

Yet another poxy suspended sentence - this nutter needed to get locked up.

Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<kgu11sFcktrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31057&group=uk.rec.cycling#31057

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
phone
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 21:59:40 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 20:59 UTC

> QUOTE: Pargeter appeared at Gloucester Crown Court on Monday 3 July where he was sentenced to 14 months in prison suspended for 18 months and disqualified from driving for two years. ENDS
>
> Yet another poxy suspended sentence - this nutter needed to get locked up.

Of course, Your Judgeship.

Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<0e0401f3-b30f-4f37-95f3-95aeb678a37an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31058&group=uk.rec.cycling#31058

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 14:05:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 21:05 UTC

1 day ago

Suspended sentence, so he's still free to continue driving if he so chooses, only now it will be with no licence and therefore also no insurance.

Maybe he will have learned his lesson and will adhere to his ban and not re-offend. Maybe he hasn't / won't...

Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<kgu35iFd05qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31060&group=uk.rec.cycling#31060

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted
using his phone
Date: 8 Jul 2023 21:35:46 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 21:35 UTC

> QUOTE: Pargeter appeared at Gloucester Crown Court on Monday 3 July where
> he was sentenced to 14 months in prison suspended for 18 months and
> disqualified from driving for two years. ENDS
>
> Yet another poxy suspended sentence - this nutter needed to get locked up.

Pavement e-scooter rider kills woman, 71, is sentenced to a Referral Order

A 14-year-old has been sentenced for causing the death of a woman while on
a privately-owned electric scooter.

The boy, who cannot be named, hit Linda Davis on a pavement in Rainworth,
Nottinghamshire, on 2 June.

The 71-year-old grandmother died six days later in hospital.

At Nottingham Youth Court on Wednesday, he was handed a 12-month referral
order. Police say Mrs Davis is thought to be the first pedestrian to die in
an e-scooter collision in the UK.

The teenager had admitted causing death by driving a vehicle otherwise than
in accordance with a licence, and causing death by driving a vehicle while
uninsured at a hearing in February.

Avoidable tragedy

The boy was also disqualified from driving for five years.

Both of his parents have been given a six-month parenting order and ordered
to pay the prosecution costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £26.

District Judge Leo Pyle said: "Pavements are for pedestrians and people in
wheelchairs or infants in prams. They are supposed to be free of vehicles
of any type.

"This mode of transport should not be there. This tragic incident was
avoidable."

The judge told the court the teenager's father had bought the e-scooter for
him six days earlier and "in that short time", the defendant had already
fractured his thumb while riding it on a separate occasion.

The court heard Mrs Davis was about to go into a charity shop in Southwell
Road East when she was struck, hitting her head as she fell.

Her husband of 52 years, Gary, came out of another shop to find her on the
floor, with the defendant on the phone to emergency services.

The court heard the defendant said at the scene he was travelling at 20mph
(32km/h), but investigations had not been able to calculate the speed of
the e-scooter at the time of the crash.

Kelly Shooter, prosecuting, said it was believed Mrs Davis could not have
been seen by the boy before being hit as he travelled along the pavement
past several cars parked along the kerb.

She said: "According to a witness, Mrs Davis stepped out from behind a Ford
Transit van into [the boy's] path.

"It is likely that Mrs Davis, as she walked behind it, would not have been
able to be seen, so it seems very likely that Mrs Davis did step out from
behind the van into [the boy's] path."

'My heart was broken'

In a victim impact statement, Mr Davis described his wife as "my spark and
the centre of my world". Mrs Davis's daughter, Rebecca Williams, said her
mother was "a very youthful, lively and amazing nan".

She said: "To watch your children watch someone they love die is a pain I
would not wish on anyone. "My heart was broken and I never expected to lose
my mum in such a devastating way.

"I understand that accidents happen.

"But I also understand that every time anyone gets on an e-scooter, whether
it be a legal or illegal one, you are taking your actions in your own
hands, so expect consequences if something happens."

It is illegal to use privately-owned e-scooters on pavements, footpaths,
cycle tracks and cycle lanes on roads.

To be used on public roads they must conform to requirements, including
being insured, taxed, and used with relevant safety equipment.

However, the Department for Transport's website states "it is likely that
they [riders] will find it very difficult to comply with all of these
requirements", meaning their use on public roads would effectively be a
criminal offence.

They can be used on private land, with the landowner's permission.

About 1,300 e-scooters have been made available for hire in Nottingham
where a government-approved trial is taking place.

These are legal on public roads in some areas of the city.

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-64892358>

--
Spike

Re: "Driver" reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<kgue5lFejsdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31062&group=uk.rec.cycling#31062

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
phone
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 01:43:33 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 00:43 UTC

> 1 day ago
>
> Suspended sentence, so he's still free to continue driving if he so chooses, only now it will be with no licence and therefore also no insurance.

How can he do that?

He's now nothing more than a chav-cyclist like you.

> Maybe he will have learned his lesson and will adhere to his ban and not re-offend. Maybe he hasn't / won't...

Have a word with your brother judges and then perhaps a word to the wise
with your friends the police (as they say in the trade).

Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<f489e6d2-0d92-4717-8fd6-c6f29d986ee2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31063&group=uk.rec.cycling#31063

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 22:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 05:59 UTC

QUOTE: Upon his arrest Pargeter told police: "I should have just stopped. I'm so stupid." ENDS

Typical driver then.

Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<kgv3vtFhs7bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31068&group=uk.rec.cycling#31068

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
using his phone
Date: 9 Jul 2023 06:55:58 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 06:55 UTC

> QUOTE: Upon his arrest Pargeter told police: "I should have just stopped.
> I'm so stupid." ENDS
>
> Typical driver then.

Yet again, you are denigrating someone for following the very advice that
you hand out so often: “Fess up early doors”. How could he have ‘fessed
up’ any earlier? Why wasn’t it good enough in this case?

--
Spike

Re: Driver reached speeds of 100mph after being spotted using his phone

<d6364090-5a38-423b-ac98-6bb8ca83ac24n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31074&group=uk.rec.cycling#31074

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 03:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 10:23 UTC

QUOTE: Kyther Pargeter, 33, of Surrey Avenue in Cheltenham, hit double the speed limit during a police pursuit on Monday 24 January last year. ENDS

Don't most drivers insist that 40 in a 20 is "not really speeding"?