optimist, n: A bagpiper with a beeper.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan

SubjectAuthor
* "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court afterswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a chav-cycle lane": Motorist facingJNugent
+* Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing courtswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": MotoristSpike
|+- Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a chav-cycle lane": Motorist facingJNugent
|`- Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing courtswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing courtswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": MotoristSpike
 `- Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing courtswldx...@gmail.com

1
"Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan

<540d253d-73a9-4c27-b171-650704405c15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31079&group=uk.rec.cycling#31079

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 08:20:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after
speeding through segregated bike lan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 15:20 UTC

West Midlands Police has confirmed that a driver has been identified and is facing court for speeding through a segregated cycle lane in Coventry, with Adam Tranter, West Midlands' leading active travel figure, slamming such behaviour which could have "catastrophic consequences".

The footage of a motorist driving in his blue Ford Puma illegally on Binley Road went viral last weekend, and sparked an online outrage amongst cyclists and other active travel advocates.

The police force, known for pioneering 'close pass' policing confirmed that the driver has now been spoken to by officers from the West Midlands Police Road Harm Reduction Team and reported for driving without due care and attention.

"Road safety is a key issue for WMP; we know that by working together with local communities and partners we can make significant progress in creating safer roads," said West Midlands Police.

It added: "We are actively patrolling key areas to enforce speed limits and protect our communities from the dangers of excessive speed and other road harm issues."

Adam Tranter, West Midlands' first Cycling and Walking Commissioner, thanked the police for its swift action. He said: "This driver’s behaviour could have quite easily had catastrophic consequences.

"In the West Midlands we are very clear that we will not tolerate behaviour that endangers vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists. This shocking footage has rightly sparked outrage online and I'm grateful to the police for swiftly taking action."

People were left bewildered under the Twitter post shared by Tranter, who has spent the recent months campaigning for road safety and calling out dangerous driving.

"Oh thank goodness they're being dealt with, that's awful," commented one person, while another cyclist wrote: "At last, some feedback! First time I've seen WMP engage with us."

The West Midlands Police had come under fire in April when an FOI request revealed that of the 286 reports of careless, inconsiderate, or dangerous driving around cyclists considered by West Midlands Police in 2022, only one resulted in a prosecution.

Further, 213 of the alleged close passes submitted last year resulted in no further action being taken, and 69 drivers captured on video committing close passes were offered a National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme (NDORS) course as an alternative to prosecution.

Despite the police's swift action this time, people raised concerns that despite how bizarre it sounds, these sort of occurrences are quite common.

"What do they mean when they say this? I’ve seen cars driving up the A38 blue route several times and (presumably) there is no consequence. Why make it sound like they won’t tolerate something they implicitly do? Are they doing something practical to stop it?" wrote a cyclist from Bourneville, Birmingham.

Another person said: "Unfortunately that is not exceptional - using pavements, central reservations and wrong lanes to dodge queues is normal West Midlands driving for many."

Meanwhile, another Twitter account called "LetMeCycle" said: "Traffic on the road, just use a segregated cycle lane, made to protect vulnerable road users from drivers. And this dangerous impatient driver thinks that's ok."

https://road.cc/content/news/motorist-facing-court-after-speeding-through-bike-lane-302435

Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a chav-cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated chav-bike lan [sic]

<kh02g8FmjbvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31080&group=uk.rec.cycling#31080

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a chav-cycle lane": Motorist facing
court after speeding through segregated chav-bike lan [sic]
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 05:44:26 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 04:44 UTC

On 09/07/2023 04:20 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chiefest Chav] wrote:

> West Midlands Police has confirmed that a driver has been identified and is facing court for speeding through a segregated chav-cycle "lane" in Coventry, with Adam Tranter, West Midlands' leading active travel figure, slamming such behaviour which could have "catastrophic consequences".
>
> The footage of a motorist driving in his blue Ford Puma illegally on Binley Road went viral last weekend, and sparked an online outrage amongst chav-cyclists and other assorted nutcases.

[ ... ]

> https://road.cc/content/news/motorist-facing-court-after-speeding-through-bike-lane-302435

And that's where they gather...

They express "outrage" about the use of the roadway by vehicles but are
perfectly happy with the use of the footway by chavs-on-bikes. After
all, it's only pedestrians at risk there, and they all - especially May
Sun, the Chied Chav - have the utmost disdain for the rights of other
road users, especially those of pedestrians.

Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan

<b810f852-c965-4174-98eb-46171cf3557an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31083&group=uk.rec.cycling#31083

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 09:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court
after speeding through segregated bike lan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:04 UTC

QUOTE: Adam Tranter, West Midlands' first Cycling and Walking Commissioner, thanked the police for its swift action. He said: "This driver’s behaviour could have quite easily had catastrophic consequences.

"In the West Midlands we are very clear that we will not tolerate behaviour that endangers vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists. This shocking footage has rightly sparked outrage online and I'm grateful to the police for swiftly taking action." ENDS

Wow - is there someone new in charge at WM police?
This is more like proper law enforcement in action!

Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan

<kh04s5Fmv3bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31087&group=uk.rec.cycling#31087

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist
facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan
Date: 9 Jul 2023 16:17:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:17 UTC

> QUOTE: Adam Tranter, West Midlands' first Cycling and Walking
> Commissioner, thanked the police for its swift action. He said: "This
> driver’s behaviour could have quite easily had catastrophic consequences.
>
> "In the West Midlands we are very clear that we will not tolerate
> behaviour that endangers vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and
> cyclists. This shocking footage has rightly sparked outrage online and
> I'm grateful to the police for swiftly taking action." ENDS
>
> Wow - is there someone new in charge at WM police?
> This is more like proper law enforcement in action!

Let’s hope he tackles pavement cycling and cyclist
RLJing.

--
Spike

Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan

<63454edc-5ea1-407b-87fc-3221e5c5d635n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31089&group=uk.rec.cycling#31089

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 09:20:45 -0700 (PDT)
after speeding through segregated bike lan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:20 UTC

HoldingOn | 269 posts | 9 min ago
shocking footage
is it though? anyone on here shocked?

NOT REALLY IT SEEMS:

QUOTE: Another person said: "Unfortunately that is not exceptional - using pavements, central reservations and wrong lanes to dodge queues is normal West Midlands driving for many." ENDS

Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan

<kh05d4Fn2jjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31090&group=uk.rec.cycling#31090

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan
Date: 9 Jul 2023 16:26:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:26 UTC

> HoldingOn | 269 posts | 9 min ago
> shocking footage
> is it though? anyone on here shocked?
>
> NOT REALLY IT SEEMS:
>
> QUOTE: Another person said: "Unfortunately that is not exceptional -
> using pavements, central reservations and wrong lanes to dodge queues is
> normal West Midlands driving for many." ENDS

Are you sure he wasn’t talking about cyclists?

Using pavements, central reservations and wrong lanes to dodge queues is
normal cyclist antisocial behaviour.

--
Spike

Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan

<cf8c1aaf-b56f-471d-b811-f2444d70be2cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31091&group=uk.rec.cycling#31091

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 10:00:20 -0700 (PDT)
after speeding through segregated bike lan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:00 UTC

On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 5:20:48 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> HoldingOn | 269 posts | 9 min ago
> shocking footage
> is it though? anyone on here shocked?

ymm replied to HoldingOn | 33 posts | 7 min ago
1 like

Not really. Motorists behaviour, generally, is so woefully inadequate nothing surprises me anymore. Heavy fines, jail time and compulsory retest needed for law breaking motorists who present the greatest danger to the road using public. What an idiot this driver is!

Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a chav-cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated chav-bike "lan" [sic]

<kh07opFncroU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31092&group=uk.rec.cycling#31092

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
court after speeding through segregated chav-bike "lan" [sic]
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:06:33 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:06 UTC

On 09/07/2023 05:04 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

> QUOTE: Adam Tranter, West Midlands' first Cycling and Walking Commissioner, thanked the police for its swift action. He said: "This driver’s behaviour could have quite easily had catastrophic consequences.
>
> "In the West Midlands we are very clear that we will not tolerate behaviour that endangers vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists. This shocking footage has rightly sparked outrage online and I'm grateful to the police for swiftly taking action." ENDS
>
> Wow - is there someone new in charge at WM police?
> This is more like proper law enforcement in action!

They certainly don't mean it when it comes to protecting vulnerable
pedestrians from chavs like you on bikes.

Re: "Traffic on road? Just use a cycle lane": Motorist facing court after speeding through segregated bike lan

<55ef7cfd-99bc-48d1-9c40-05b9e8b20dadn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31093&group=uk.rec.cycling#31093

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 10:29:33 -0700 (PDT)
after speeding through segregated bike lan
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:29 UTC

On Sunday, July 9, 2023 at 5:04:42 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Adam Tranter, West Midlands' first Cycling and Walking Commissioner, thanked the police for its swift action. He said: "This driver’s behaviour could have quite easily had catastrophic consequences.
>
> "In the West Midlands we are very clear that we will not tolerate behaviour that endangers vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists. This shocking footage has rightly sparked outrage online and I'm grateful to the police for swiftly taking action." ENDS
>
> Wow - is there someone new in charge at WM police?
> This is more like proper law enforcement in action!

QUOTE: is it though? anyone on here shocked?

Yes: because WMP are doing something about it. ENDS

Must have read my mind from two hours ago!