[It is] best to confuse only one issue at a time. -- K&R

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in city centre traffic

SubjectAuthor
* Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in cityswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones whileSpike
+* Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing inswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing inswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing inJNugent

1
Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in city centre traffic

<12fa8ec0-805a-48ea-808a-9b54c4ce1237n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31065&group=uk.rec.cycling#31065

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 23:07:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in city
centre traffic
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 06:07 UTC

Shocking footage shows five Edinburgh motorists appearing to use their phones as they wait in a line of traffic in the city centre.

A cyclist, Deacon Thurston, captured the incidents on his GoPro head camera as he passed a queue of motorists on Castle Terrace in on Wednesday, October 26.

Video obtained by Deadline News shows Deacon slowly cycling past vehicles and peering into the windows of 14 motorists who are waiting on traffic to start moving again. He manages to spot 36 per cent of the drivers in the line of traffic appearing to use their mobile phones while their engines were still turned on.

One even appeared to be scrolling through Twitter as they waited for the red light to change and showed Deacon when they spotted him filming. In Scotland motorists face fines of £200 and six points on their licence for the offence.

Deacon posted the clip onto Twitter later on that day, writing: "On my way home this evening, Five out of 14 drivers in this queue for the lights were using their phones, which is more than 35 percent. It's beyond endemic — it's completely absurd."

The video has gained over 15,000 views and dozens of comments from viewers who had mixed reactions. One said: "As a pedestrian I see this a lot too, it's infuriating. Some drivers think that nobody can see them in their wee steel bubble."

Another wrote: "It's illegal-that's all you need to know.

"They driving 1-2.5 ton vehicles in cities with children and pedestrians everywhere. Full concentration is required at all times.

"In what other line of work would being distracted while operating heavy machinery around children be tolerated?"

A third added: "This law is clearly not working. It really needs a rethink."

A fourth commented: "Six points and £200 fines - Copy in Sunak and Hunt - I think you’ve solved the problem with paying back the National debt."

However, one Twitter critic said: "Maybe you should start a page showing all the things cyclists do wrong, you know, just for a bit of balance."

Deacon replied: "Balance? Bad drivers kill 1,800+ people every year in the UK and seriously injure 60,000 more. Would make more sense to start a page about champagne corks, which kill more people than bad cyclists do."

While another social media user commented: "When all your attention is directed at drivers and filming them while cycling, it's not on the road ahead of you.

"Very irresponsible. So while you think you're performing some sort of stasi style role, I hope that you're not a driver with you slack attitude on the roads."

Speaking on Friday, Deacon said: " I wear a GoPro on my cycle commute, partly for my own safety, partly to record the dangerous and careless driving I often see on the road.

"There's often a queue of vehicles at the junction to Lothian Road and very common to see drivers using their phones behind the wheel.

"More broadly, the number of drivers I see in Edinburgh disregarding simple rules that are in place for others' safety is staggering.

"As someone who tries to walk and cycle as much as possible (although I do drive as well) it's of particular concern.

"I know many people who would love to cycle around town but simply won't because of the danger these drivers present.

"The reaction has been overwhelmingly supportive, with people across the country reporting similar scenes in their towns.

"A small number don't see what the issue is but that's what you'd expect from people who habitually use their phones behind the wheel!"

He added: ""If Scotland is to meet its stated aim of of making 'walking or cycling to be the most popular choice for shorter everyday journeys' it's absolutely vital we tackle this behaviour (alongside rolling out proper segregated cycling infrastructure). But, as far as I can see, nothing is being done.

"Earlier this year, Transport Scotland made £300k available to launch an online reporting system in Scotland in 2022 — a facility that would catch them up with most of the other police forces in the UK.

"Sadly that date keeps being pushed back, and a couple of recent FOI requests show that Police Scotland have made very little progress."

Deadline News approached Police Scotland for comment.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-drivers-filmed-using-mobile-25376994

Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in city centre traffic

<kgv87nFigmhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31069&group=uk.rec.cycling#31069

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while
queuing in city centre traffic
Date: 9 Jul 2023 08:08:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 08:08 UTC

> Deacon replied: "Balance? Bad drivers kill 1,800+ people every year in
> the UK and seriously injure 60,000 more. Would make more sense to start a
> page about champagne corks, which kill more people than bad cyclists do."

Deacon is over-egging the cake.

His ‘serious injury’ figure is twice the actual figure.

Any reason why he should do this?

QUOTE
In reported road collisions in Great Britain in 2022 there were an
estimated:

1,695 fatalities, a decline of 3% compared to 2019

29,795 killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties, a decline of 3%
compared to 2019

136,002 casualties of all severities, a decline of 11% compared to 2019
ENDQUOTE

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in city centre traffic

<kgv8grFii2cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31070&group=uk.rec.cycling#31070

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
queuing in city centre traffic
Date: 9 Jul 2023 08:13:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 08:13 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Deacon replied: "Balance? Bad drivers kill 1,800+ people every year in
>> the UK and seriously injure 60,000 more. Would make more sense to start a
>> page about champagne corks, which kill more people than bad cyclists do."
>
> Deacon is over-egging the cake.
>
> His ‘serious injury’ figure is twice the actual figure.

And his ‘champagne cork’ claim appears wide of the mark.

> Any reason why he should do this?

Good question, still extant.

> QUOTE
> In reported road collisions in Great Britain in 2022 there were an
> estimated:
>
> 1,695 fatalities, a decline of 3% compared to 2019
>
> 29,795 killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties, a decline of 3%
> compared to 2019
>
> 136,002 casualties of all severities, a decline of 11% compared to 2019
> ENDQUOTE
>
>> https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-drivers-filmed-using-mobile-25376994

--
Spike

Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in city centre traffic

<37b603e8-721d-4666-8350-906a542614ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31075&group=uk.rec.cycling#31075

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 03:25:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in
city centre traffic
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 10:25 UTC

This is from GOV.UK It’s illegal to hold and use a phone, sat nav, tablet, or any device that can send or receive data, while driving or riding a motorcycle.

This means you must not use a device in your hand for any reason, whether online or offline.

For example, you must not text, make calls, take photos or videos, or browse the web.

The law still applies to you if you’re:

stopped at traffic lights

queuing in traffic

supervising a learner driver

driving a car that turns off the engine when you stop moving

holding and using a device that’s offline or in flight mode

Exceptions

You can use a device held in your hand if:

you need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop

you’re safely parked

you’re making a contactless payment in a vehicle that is not moving, for example at a drive-through restaurant

you’re using the device to park your vehicle remotely

Using devices hands-free

You can use devices with hands-free access, as long as you do not hold them at any time during usage. Hands-free access means using, for example:

a Bluetooth headset

voice command

a dashboard holder or mat

a windscreen mount

a built-in sat nav

The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

Staying in full control of your vehicle

You must stay in full control of your vehicle at all times. The police can stop you if they think you’re not in control because you’re distracted and you can be prosecuted.

Penalties

You can get 6 penalty points and a £200 fine if you hold and use a phone, sat nav, tablet, or any device that can send and receive data while driving or riding a motorcycle.

You’ll also lose your licence if you passed your driving test in the last 2 years.

You can get 3 penalty points if you do not have a full view of the road

Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in city centre traffic

<kh030oFmlueU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31082&group=uk.rec.cycling#31082

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
city centre traffic
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 05:53:14 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 04:53 UTC

On 09/07/2023 07:07 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Shocking footage shows five Edinburgh motorists appearing to use their phones as they wait in a line of traffic in the city centre.

Apart from the very real and obvious danger of chav-cyclists running
into the back of a vehicle, what possible "danger" does a stationary
vehicle represent?

> A loony-cyclist, Deacon Thurston, captured the incidents on his GoPro head camera as he passed a queue of motorists on Castle Terrace in on Wednesday, October 26.

[ ... ]

Re: Edinburgh drivers filmed using mobile phones while queuing in city centre traffic

<5f26e951-de68-4050-b647-b1204805948fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31085&group=uk.rec.cycling#31085

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 09:13:46 -0700 (PDT)
city centre traffic
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:13 UTC

QUOTE: Police Scotland ought to get tough on this, as the Met do down in London.

Check out Cycling Mikey on Youtube...

I would advocate a 6 month ban, in addition to the standard 3 points & £200 fine. ENDS

:-)