You have literary talent that you should take pains to develop.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire

SubjectAuthor
* The most dangerous places in Hull & E YorkshireSpike
+* Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E YorkshireJNugent
|`* Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E YorkshireSpike
| `- Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E YorkshireJNugent
+- Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E YorkshireSpike
`- Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E YorkshireBrian Gaff

1
The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire

<kh0daaFo952U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31094&group=uk.rec.cycling#31094

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling,uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire
Date: 9 Jul 2023 18:41:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:41 UTC

The most dangerous places to live in Hull and East Yorkshire revealed

Hull city centre is the most dangerous place to live in Hull and East
Yorkshire, according to the latest crime figures.

During the year ending January 2022, Hull city centre suffered more crime
than anywhere else in our area.

A total of 4,895 crimes were committed in the area over the last 12 months.
When compared to the population, that works out as 490 crimes for every
1,000 people who live there, which makes it the 17th most dangerous place
in all England and Wales.

A big concern in Hull city centre is the high rate of violence and sexual
offences, with 183 of these types of crimes for every 1,000 residents. This
is the seventh highest rate in the country.

But the city centre also had our area’s highest rates of antisocial
behaviour with 51 crimes for every 1,000 residents, burglary (16 per 1,000
residents), drug offences (12 per 1,000 residents), weapons offences (four
per 1,000 residents), robbery (five per 1,000 residents), and public order
offences (64 per 1,000 residents).

Bridlington Hilderthorpe - the only area outside the city to make the top
10 - had the next highest crime rate, at 306 offences per 1,000 residents,
which was partly driven by the highest rates of shoplifting in the area -
42 offences for every 1,000 residents.

Boulevard and St Andrew's Quay in Hull had the third-highest crime rate,
(277 crimes per 1,000 people).

At the other end of the spectrum, the safest place in Hull and East Riding
of Yorkshire was Driffield West and Huggate, where there were just 26
offences for every 1,000 residents.

In all England and Wales the most dangerous place to live is Strand, St
James and Mayfair in Westminster, London - where there were almost two
crimes committed for every resident. Strand, St James and Mayfair has the
country’s highest rates of burglary (31 per 1,000 residents), drug offences
(106 per 1,000 residents), public order offences (103 per 1,000 residents),
robbery (83 per 1,000 residents) and violence and sexual offences (289 per
1,000 residents).

That was followed by nearby Fitzrovia West & Soho, also in Westminster,
then Central Blackpool, Leeds City Centre, City of London (the historic
financial district home to the Stock Exchange and the Bank of England), and
Liverpool’s Albert Dock and Queen's Dock neighbourhood. Central Blackpool
has the highest rate of anti-social behaviour in the country (291 crimes
per 1,000 residents).

But the Langley Green and Gatwick Airport area of Crawley has the highest
rate of weapons offences. And Southsea West in Portsmouth is the
shoplifting capital of England and Wales, with a rate of 90 offences for
every 1,000 residents.

Jeffrey DeMarco, assistant director at the charity Victim Support said:
“High crime rates in any area of the country are cause for concern. We see
first-hand the devastating impact crime has on victims - from making them
question their sense of safety to severely damaging their mental health.

“When looking at these figures, it is worth keeping in mind that there are
many different ways of measuring crime. Because many victims don’t report
to the police, the true crime rates could be much higher.

“It is vital that victims are given support, no matter where they live or
whether or not they have reported the crime. Visit the Victim Support
website or call our free, 24/7 helpline on 08 08 16 89 111.”

<https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/most-dangerous-places-live-hull-6909872>

--
Spike

Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire

<kh0gdiFoo70U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31101&group=uk.rec.cycling#31101

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 20:34:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 19:34 UTC

On 09/07/2023 07:41 pm, Spike wrote:

> The most dangerous places to live in Hull and East Yorkshire revealed
>
> Hull city centre is the most dangerous place to live in Hull and East
> Yorkshire, according to the latest crime figures.
>
> During the year ending January 2022, Hull city centre suffered more crime
> than anywhere else in our area.
>
> A total of 4,895 crimes were committed in the area over the last 12 months.
> When compared to the population, that works out as 490 crimes for every
> 1,000 people who live there, which makes it the 17th most dangerous place
> in all England and Wales.
>
> A big concern in Hull city centre is the high rate of violence and sexual
> offences, with 183 of these types of crimes for every 1,000 residents. This
> is the seventh highest rate in the country.

Seventh highest?

It's still nothing to be proud of, though.

> But the city centre also had our area’s highest rates of antisocial
> behaviour with 51 crimes for every 1,000 residents, burglary (16 per 1,000
> residents), drug offences (12 per 1,000 residents), weapons offences (four
> per 1,000 residents), robbery (five per 1,000 residents), and public order
> offences (64 per 1,000 residents).

Anti-social behaviour... one gets the impression that it wasn't an
exhaustive list and that certain types of anti-social behaviour are
committed there quite frequently.

> Bridlington Hilderthorpe - the only area outside the city to make the top
> 10 - had the next highest crime rate, at 306 offences per 1,000 residents,
> which was partly driven by the highest rates of shoplifting in the area -
> 42 offences for every 1,000 residents.
>
> Boulevard and St Andrew's Quay in Hull had the third-highest crime rate,
> (277 crimes per 1,000 people).
>
> At the other end of the spectrum, the safest place in Hull and East Riding
> of Yorkshire was Driffield West and Huggate, where there were just 26
> offences for every 1,000 residents.
>
> In all England and Wales the most dangerous place to live is Strand, St
> James and Mayfair in Westminster, London - where there were almost two
> crimes committed for every resident. Strand, St James and Mayfair has the
> country’s highest rates of burglary (31 per 1,000 residents), drug offences
> (106 per 1,000 residents), public order offences (103 per 1,000 residents),
> robbery (83 per 1,000 residents) and violence and sexual offences (289 per
> 1,000 residents).
>
> That was followed by nearby Fitzrovia West & Soho, also in Westminster,
> then Central Blackpool, Leeds City Centre, City of London (the historic
> financial district home to the Stock Exchange and the Bank of England), and
> Liverpool’s Albert Dock and Queen's Dock neighbourhood. Central Blackpool
> has the highest rate of anti-social behaviour in the country (291 crimes
> per 1,000 residents).

There *are* now a number of residential flats in the vicinity of Albert
and Queen's Dock (whereas forty years ago, there were absolutely none),
but one cannot help feeling that the residents are not really those
committing the crimes. Ditto for Fitzrovia.

Perhaps not for Soho (though I don't want to impugn the character of any
resident).

> But the Langley Green and Gatwick Airport area of Crawley has the highest
> rate of weapons offences.

Not so surprising, I'd say.

Though Crawley used to be a reasonably nice place...

> And Southsea West in Portsmouth is the
> shoplifting capital of England and Wales, with a rate of 90 offences for
> every 1,000 residents.
>
> Jeffrey DeMarco, assistant director at the charity Victim Support said:
> “High crime rates in any area of the country are cause for concern. We see
> first-hand the devastating impact crime has on victims - from making them
> question their sense of safety to severely damaging their mental health.
>
> “When looking at these figures, it is worth keeping in mind that there are
> many different ways of measuring crime. Because many victims don’t report
> to the police, the true crime rates could be much higher.
>
> “It is vital that victims are given support, no matter where they live or
> whether or not they have reported the crime. Visit the Victim Support
> website or call our free, 24/7 helpline on 08 08 16 89 111.”
>
> <https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/most-dangerous-places-live-hull-6909872>

NGs for follow-ups trimmed down from two to one.

Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire

<kh0ku8Fpe3rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31108&group=uk.rec.cycling#31108

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 9 Jul 2023 20:51:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 20:51 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 09/07/2023 07:41 pm, Spike wrote:

<snip>

> NGs for follow-ups trimmed down from two to one.

Apologies…no idea how that happened.

--
Spike

Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire

<kh0lq7Fpi52U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31110&group=uk.rec.cycling#31110

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.rec.cycling
Date: 9 Jul 2023 21:06:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:06 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:

Apologies…No idea how the cross-post happened.

Please ignore the OP.

--
Spike

Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire

<kh0t5hFqm1gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31111&group=uk.rec.cycling#31111

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 00:11:45 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 23:11 UTC

On 09/07/2023 09:51 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/07/2023 07:41 pm, Spike wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> NGs for follow-ups trimmed down from two to one.
>
> Apologies…no idea how that happened.

No problem.

Re: The most dangerous places in Hull & E Yorkshire

<u8gkho$2gf5f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31113&group=uk.rec.cycling#31113

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 10:55:03 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:55 UTC

One of the issues is as mentioned, under reporting as people are now so used
to Police not turning up, they seldom call unless its a really serious
crime.

There are of course career criminals, and you will never stop those, but
the young hooked on drugs looking for money are a very real problem
everywhere
Apparently even Stone Age men took mind altering substances, so maybe its
time to acknowledge this and legalise everything and undercut the criminals,
and de stigmatise the practice of being an addict and offer help for those
who want to give up out of the tax.
Certainly, as we all know ban something and send it underground merely
gives the criminals more stuff to make money from.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...