Never let someone who says it cannot be done interrupt the person who is doing it.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

SubjectAuthor
* Plums/Gages ripening earlyDavid
+* Plums/Gages ripening earlyDavid Rance
|`* Plums/Gages ripening earlyMartin Brown
| +- Plums/Gages ripening earlyDavid
| +- Plums/Gages ripening earlyJanet
| `* Plums/Gages ripening earlyDavid
|  +- Plums/Gages ripening earlyDavid Rance
|  +* Plums/Gages ripening earlyJim Jackson
|  |`* Plums/Gages ripening earlyMartin Brown
|  | `- Plums/Gages ripening earlyJenny M Benson
|  `* Plums/Gages ripening earlyCharlie Pridham
|   +- Plums/Gages ripening earlyDavid
|   `* Plums/Gages ripening earlyalan_m
|    +* Plums/Gages ripening earlyJeff Layman
|    |`* Plums/Gages ripening earlyalan_m
|    | `* Plums/Gages ripening earlyJeff Layman
|    |  `* Plums/Gages ripening earlyVir Campestris
|    |   `- Plums/Gages ripening earlyJeff Layman
|    `* Plums/Gages ripening earlyCharlie Pridham
|     `- Plums/Gages ripening earlyalan_m
+- Plums/Gages ripening earlyClive Page
`* Plums/Gages ripening earlyDavid
 `- Plums/Gages ripening earlyThe Natural Philosopher

1
Plums/Gages ripening early

<jjtmrpFnqjiU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3066&group=uk.rec.gardening#3066

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Plums/Gages ripening early
Date: 21 Jul 2022 19:14:01 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:14 UTC

Allegedly Oullins Golden Gage ripens early to mid August.
Picking them now, with the rest looking to be ready within the next week.

Victoria is rapidly changing colour but not ripening yet.

Is everyone getting early ripening this year?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<Lf3CBwQsgn2iFwzZ@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3067&group=uk.rec.gardening#3067

From: david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Plums/Gages ripening early
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:13:00 +0100
 by: David Rance - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:13 UTC

On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:14:01 David wrote:

>Allegedly Oullins Golden Gage ripens early to mid August.
>Picking them now, with the rest looking to be ready within the next week.
>
>Victoria is rapidly changing colour but not ripening yet.
>
>Is everyone getting early ripening this year?

No. Nowhere near!

David

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tbdtvq$1r95$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3068&group=uk.rec.gardening#3068

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:25:59 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:25 UTC

On 22/07/2022 11:13, David Rance wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:14:01 David wrote:
>
>> Allegedly Oullins Golden Gage ripens early to mid August.
>> Picking them now, with the rest looking to be ready within the next week.
>>
>> Victoria is rapidly changing colour but not ripening yet.
>>
>> Is everyone getting early ripening this year?
>
> No. Nowhere near!

Diseased ones with maggots in seem to ripen early. Right now it looks
like most fruit trees are responding to drought with a July drop!
(of both fried to a crisp leaves and smaller fruits)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jjvqfaFnqjiU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3070&group=uk.rec.gardening#3070

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 22 Jul 2022 14:27:54 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 14:27 UTC

On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:25:59 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

> On 22/07/2022 11:13, David Rance wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:14:01 David wrote:
>>
>>> Allegedly Oullins Golden Gage ripens early to mid August.
>>> Picking them now, with the rest looking to be ready within the next
>>> week.
>>>
>>> Victoria is rapidly changing colour but not ripening yet.
>>>
>>> Is everyone getting early ripening this year?
>>
>> No. Nowhere near!
>
> Diseased ones with maggots in seem to ripen early. Right now it looks
> like most fruit trees are responding to drought with a July drop! (of
> both fried to a crisp leaves and smaller fruits)

I have been watering from time to time to try and avoid too much stress to
the trees.
They are still quite young and need a bit of assistance, I think.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<MPG.3d4874d09b8056d69896e6@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3074&group=uk.rec.gardening#3074

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:37:52 +0100
 by: Janet - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:37 UTC

In article <tbdtvq$1r95$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk says...

> On 22/07/2022 11:13, David Rance wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:14:01 David wrote:
> >
> >> Allegedly Oullins Golden Gage ripens early to mid August.
> >> Picking them now, with the rest looking to be ready within the next week.
> >>
> >> Victoria is rapidly changing colour but not ripening yet.
> >>
> >> Is everyone getting early ripening this year?
> >
> > No. Nowhere near!
>
> Diseased ones with maggots in seem to ripen early. Right now it looks
> like most fruit trees are responding to drought with a July drop!
> (of both fried to a crisp leaves and smaller fruits)

I picked ripe plums and cherries on Friday (Scotland)

Janet

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jk81j3F4t3hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3076&group=uk.rec.gardening#3076

From: usenet@page2.eu (Clive Page)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 18:18:27 +0100
 by: Clive Page - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:18 UTC

On 21/07/2022 20:14, David wrote:
> Allegedly Oullins Golden Gage ripens early to mid August.
> Picking them now, with the rest looking to be ready within the next week.
>
> Victoria is rapidly changing colour but not ripening yet.
>
> Is everyone getting early ripening this year?

The plum tree in my garden (here before we moved in, variety unknown) has plums that look ripe but still hard. We also have a smallish Victoria plum with, as far as I can see, no fruit at all this year, it all dropped off earlier in the season.

But our mulberry tree has started producing ripe berries at least two weeks ahead of normal. It's a very odd year.

--
Clive Page

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jkfig5FbenuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3078&group=uk.rec.gardening#3078

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 28 Jul 2022 13:49:57 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 13:49 UTC

On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:25:59 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

> On 22/07/2022 11:13, David Rance wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:14:01 David wrote:
>>
>>> Allegedly Oullins Golden Gage ripens early to mid August.
>>> Picking them now, with the rest looking to be ready within the next
>>> week.
>>>
>>> Victoria is rapidly changing colour but not ripening yet.
>>>
>>> Is everyone getting early ripening this year?
>>
>> No. Nowhere near!
>
> Diseased ones with maggots in seem to ripen early. Right now it looks
> like most fruit trees are responding to drought with a July drop! (of
> both fried to a crisp leaves and smaller fruits)

So far every fruit seems to come with a free maggot.

Picked all the gages and salvaging what we can.
The Victoria is now almost ripe, and also seems to have the free maggot.
I don't recall this problem previous years.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<alpmvrJvnr4iFwi1@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3079&group=uk.rec.gardening#3079

From: david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 17:31:43 +0100
 by: David Rance - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:31 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 13:49:57 David wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:25:59 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> No. Nowhere near!
>>
>> Diseased ones with maggots in seem to ripen early. Right now it looks
>> like most fruit trees are responding to drought with a July drop! (of
>> both fried to a crisp leaves and smaller fruits)
>>>

>So far every fruit seems to come with a free maggot.
>
>Picked all the gages and salvaging what we can.
>The Victoria is now almost ripe, and also seems to have the free maggot.
>I don't recall this problem previous years.

Well, that's the reason they're ripening early!

David

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<slrnte5otq.a6l.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3080&group=uk.rec.gardening#3080

From: jj@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 19:30:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 19:30 UTC

On 2022-07-28, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:25:59 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> No. Nowhere near!
>>
>> Diseased ones with maggots in seem to ripen early. Right now it looks
>> like most fruit trees are responding to drought with a July drop! (of
>> both fried to a crisp leaves and smaller fruits)
>>>

> So far every fruit seems to come with a free maggot.
>
> Picked all the gages and salvaging what we can.
> The Victoria is now almost ripe, and also seems to have the free maggot.
> I don't recall this problem previous years.

Maggoty or Diseased fruit usually ripens early. Any rescued bits of
such fruit, in my opinion, tastes mediocre.

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tbut1k$1lse$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3081&group=uk.rec.gardening#3081

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 21:54:10 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 20:54 UTC

On 28/07/2022 20:30, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On 2022-07-28, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> So far every fruit seems to come with a free maggot.
>>
>> Picked all the gages and salvaging what we can.
>> The Victoria is now almost ripe, and also seems to have the free maggot.
>> I don't recall this problem previous years.
>>

> Maggoty or Diseased fruit usually ripens early. Any rescued bits of
> such fruit, in my opinion, tastes mediocre.

Reminds me of the old joke:

Q: "what is worse than a maggot in your apple?"
A: "Half a maggot in your apple!"

I can vouch for that after carelessly ingesting one!
They taste disgusting or more likely their poo does.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jkgfoeFga1nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3082&group=uk.rec.gardening#3082

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 23:09:17 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 22:09 UTC

On 28/07/2022 21:54, Martin Brown wrote:

>> Maggoty or Diseased fruit usually ripens early. Any rescued bits of
>> such fruit, in my opinion, tastes mediocre.
>
> Reminds me of the old joke:
>
> Q: "what is worse than a maggot in your apple?"
> A: "Half a maggot in your apple!"
>
> I can vouch for that after carelessly ingesting one!
> They taste disgusting or more likely their poo does.

Reminds me of when a school-friend of mine told the deputy head during
school dinner that she had a caterpillar on her lettuce and asked what
she should do about it. "Eat it, child! It's been eating the same
things you are."

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tc11go$3i29c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3087&group=uk.rec.gardening#3087

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 17:22:49 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 16:22 UTC

On 28/07/2022 14:49, David wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:25:59 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> No. Nowhere near!
>>
>> Diseased ones with maggots in seem to ripen early. Right now it looks
>> like most fruit trees are responding to drought with a July drop! (of
>> both fried to a crisp leaves and smaller fruits)
>>>

> So far every fruit seems to come with a free maggot.
>
> Picked all the gages and salvaging what we can.
> The Victoria is now almost ripe, and also seems to have the free maggot.
> I don't recall this problem previous years.
>

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

You can get some very effective pheromone traps for plum moth, it will
fix the problem next year, you put them up late april/early may

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jkinj9Fnl4lU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3089&group=uk.rec.gardening#3089

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 29 Jul 2022 18:35:21 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 18:35 UTC

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 17:22:49 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

> On 28/07/2022 14:49, David wrote:

>>> Diseased ones with maggots in seem to ripen early. Right now it looks
>>> like most fruit trees are responding to drought with a July drop! (of
>>> both fried to a crisp leaves and smaller fruits)
>>>>

>> So far every fruit seems to come with a free maggot.
>>
>> Picked all the gages and salvaging what we can.
>> The Victoria is now almost ripe, and also seems to have the free
>> maggot.
>> I don't recall this problem previous years.
>>

>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> You can get some very effective pheromone traps for plum moth, it will
> fix the problem next year, you put them up late april/early may

Thanks - will try to remember.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jkk7epF3tioU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3093&group=uk.rec.gardening#3093

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 09:12:09 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 08:12 UTC

On 29/07/2022 17:22, Charlie Pridham wrote:

> You can get some very effective pheromone traps for plum moth, it will
> fix the problem next year, you put them up late april/early may

The pheromone traps do not get rid of the problem with the plum moth.
Although they will catch a lot of males reducing the breeding stock the
main purpose of a pheromone trap is to tell you when to take further
action. In the case of plums when to spray the tree. You will be
completely wasting expensive sprays if you spray before the pest arrive
or sometime after they have invested the crop and have laid eggs. The
pheromone trap should be checked daily and the crop/tree spray only
applied when the trap indicates that the moths are active.

It's the same with household clothes months. Pheromone traps are
advertised as the cure but they will not catch all the males* and it
only takes one or two to mate and for the problem to persist. It's the
unseen lava stage that does the damage - not the flying moths. What a
pheromone trap is good for is telling you which rooms to treat as the
problem may be very localised. You then need to use a spray or powered
insecticide able to kill moths, lava AND eggs. Follow up with some fresh
pheromone traps to see if the problem has been eradicated.
With clothes that you don't want to spay a period in your freezer is
likely to kill the lava and eggs.

* I've had traps (4 inch by 2 inch sticky paper) catch perhaps 50 males
moths in a night. This may indicate to some that the breeding stock has
been eradicated - but this is not the case :(

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tc30l6$3qtn7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3095&group=uk.rec.gardening#3095

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:20:22 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 10:20 UTC

On 30/07/2022 09:12, alan_m wrote:
> On 29/07/2022 17:22, Charlie Pridham wrote:
>
>> You can get some very effective pheromone traps for plum moth, it will
>> fix the problem next year, you put them up late april/early may
>>

> The pheromone traps do not get rid of the problem with the plum moth.
> Although they will catch a lot of males reducing the breeding stock the
> main purpose of a pheromone trap is to tell you when to take further
> action. In the case of plums when to spray the tree. You will be
> completely wasting expensive sprays if you spray before the pest arrive
> or sometime after they have invested the crop and have laid eggs. The
> pheromone trap should be checked daily and the crop/tree spray only
> applied when the trap indicates that the moths are active.
>
> It's the same with household clothes months. Pheromone traps are
> advertised as the cure but they will not catch all the males* and it
> only takes one or two to mate and for the problem to persist. It's the
> unseen lava stage that does the damage - not the flying moths. What a
> pheromone trap is good for is telling you which rooms to treat as the
> problem may be very localised. You then need to use a spray or powered
> insecticide able to kill moths, lava AND eggs. Follow up with some fresh
> pheromone traps to see if the problem has been eradicated.
> With clothes that you don't want to spay a period in your freezer is
> likely to kill the lava and eggs.
>

> * I've had traps (4 inch by 2 inch sticky paper) catch perhaps 50 males
> moths in a night. This may indicate to some that the breeding stock has
> been eradicated - but this is not the case :(

We have a problem with clothes moths. I use the long-acting "vapour"
insecticide cards in the wardrobes, and we have an aerosol spray for
general usage. Trouble is, and as far as I am aware, there is /no/
insecticide approved for home use other than those based on pyrethrins.
So, basically, the moths are being exposed to only one chemical. I have
no idea if they are resistant or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. We
can often see moths flying only a few minutes after the room has been
sprayed.

I've just found these, which might prove useful against the larvae, as
they're the things which do all the eating and damage:
<https://www.pestfix.co.uk/cimetrol-super-rfu.asp>
<https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/protector-c-insect-killer-5l>
Both contain pyriproxifen, which is a growth regulator. I'll order some
and try it.

--

Jeff

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jkkj9cF5ormU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3096&group=uk.rec.gardening#3096

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 12:34:05 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:34 UTC

On 30/07/2022 11:20, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 30/07/2022 09:12, alan_m wrote:
>> On 29/07/2022 17:22, Charlie Pridham wrote:
>>
>>> You can get some very effective pheromone traps for plum moth, it will
>>> fix the problem next year, you put them up late april/early may
>>>

>> The pheromone traps do not get rid of the problem with the plum moth.
>> Although they will catch a lot of males reducing the breeding stock the
>> main purpose of a pheromone trap is to tell you when to take further
>> action. In the case of plums when to spray the tree. You will be
>> completely wasting expensive sprays if you spray before the pest arrive
>> or sometime after they have invested the crop and have laid eggs. The
>> pheromone trap should be checked daily and the crop/tree spray only
>> applied when the trap indicates that the moths are active.
>>
>> It's the same with household clothes months. Pheromone traps are
>> advertised as the cure but they will not catch all the males* and it
>> only takes one or two to mate and for the problem to persist. It's the
>> unseen lava stage that does the damage - not the flying moths. What a
>> pheromone trap is good for is telling you which rooms to treat as the
>> problem may be very localised. You then need to use a spray or powered
>> insecticide able to kill moths, lava AND eggs. Follow up with some fresh
>> pheromone traps to see if the problem has been eradicated.
>> With clothes that you don't want to spay a period in your freezer is
>> likely to kill the lava and eggs.
>>

>> * I've had traps (4 inch by 2 inch sticky paper) catch perhaps 50 males
>> moths in a night. This may indicate to some that the breeding stock has
>> been eradicated - but this is not the case :(
>
> We have a problem with clothes moths. I use the long-acting "vapour"
> insecticide cards in the wardrobes, and we have an aerosol spray for
> general usage. Trouble is, and as far as I am aware, there is /no/
> insecticide approved for home use other than those based on pyrethrins.
> So, basically, the moths are being exposed to only one chemical. I have
> no idea if they are resistant or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. We
> can often see moths flying only a few minutes after the room has been
> sprayed.
>
> I've just found these, which might prove useful against the larvae, as
> they're the things which do all the eating and damage:
> <https://www.pestfix.co.uk/cimetrol-super-rfu.asp>
> <https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/protector-c-insect-killer-5l>
> Both contain pyriproxifen, which is a growth regulator. I'll order some
> and try it.

It looks like the same stuff as I used from

https://www.pest-expert.com/pest-expert-formula-c-clothes-moth-spray-5ltr-107-p.asp

In case its not cloths moths but carpet moths they also do a power
insecticide

https://www.pest-expert.com/pest-expert-formula-p-carpet-moth--beetle-powder-300g-257-p.asp

The pheromone traps caught most behind furniture so I used powder on the
carpets around the edges of the room and under sofas/bookcases and the
spray in more open spaces and wardrobes etc.

One application of the combined insecticides solved my problem - I kept
putting out fresh pheromone traps for months afterwards to check.

A had a few spiders around the areas I was treating and it took those
down within 30 seconds.

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tc3e8v$3sd1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3097&group=uk.rec.gardening#3097

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 15:12:46 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 14:12 UTC

On 30/07/2022 12:34, alan_m wrote:
> [...]
>> <https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/protector-c-insect-killer-5l>
>> Both contain pyriproxifen, which is a growth regulator. I'll order some
>> and try it.
>>

> It looks like the same stuff as I used from
>
> https://www.pest-expert.com/pest-expert-formula-c-clothes-moth-spray-5ltr-107-p.asp
>
> In case its not cloths moths but carpet moths they also do a power
> insecticide
>
> https://www.pest-expert.com/pest-expert-formula-p-carpet-moth--beetle-powder-300g-257-p.asp
>
> The pheromone traps caught most behind furniture so I used powder on the
> carpets around the edges of the room and under sofas/bookcases and the
> spray in more open spaces and wardrobes etc.
>
> One application of the combined insecticides solved my problem - I kept
> putting out fresh pheromone traps for months afterwards to check.

Good to know. I'll get some. Thanks for the recommendation.

> A had a few spiders around the areas I was treating and it took those
> down within 30 seconds.

Pity. I like spiders as they keep the pests down.

--

Jeff

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tc5bjk$6pu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3101&group=uk.rec.gardening#3101

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 08:39:33 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 07:39 UTC

On 30/07/2022 09:12, alan_m wrote:
> On 29/07/2022 17:22, Charlie Pridham wrote:
>
>> You can get some very effective pheromone traps for plum moth, it will
>> fix the problem next year, you put them up late april/early may
>>

> The pheromone traps do not get rid of the problem with the plum moth.
> Although they will catch a lot of males reducing the breeding stock the
> main purpose of a pheromone trap is to tell you when to take further
> action. In the case of plums when to spray the tree. You will be
> completely wasting expensive sprays if you spray before the pest arrive
> or sometime after they have invested the crop and have laid eggs. The
> pheromone trap should be checked daily and the crop/tree spray only
> applied when the trap indicates that the moths are active.
>
> It's the same with household clothes months. Pheromone traps are
> advertised as the cure but they will not catch all the males* and it
> only takes one or two to mate and for the problem to persist. It's the
> unseen lava stage that does the damage - not the flying moths. What a
> pheromone trap is good for is telling you which rooms to treat as the
> problem may be very localised. You then need to use a spray or powered
> insecticide able to kill moths, lava AND eggs. Follow up with some fresh
> pheromone traps to see if the problem has been eradicated.
> With clothes that you don't want to spay a period in your freezer is
> likely to kill the lava and eggs.
>

> * I've had traps (4 inch by 2 inch sticky paper) catch perhaps 50 males
> moths in a night. This may indicate to some that the breeding stock has
> been eradicated - but this is not the case :(

Well it got rid of the problem for us and we do it every other year now
to prevent a build up. But I was aware of the above but have no
intension of spraying something I later want to eat although that was
indeed the advice on the packet

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jkmtp5FgurcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3103&group=uk.rec.gardening#3103

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 09:45:26 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 08:45 UTC

On 31/07/2022 08:39, Charlie Pridham wrote:

> Well it got rid of the problem for us and we do it every other year now
> to prevent a build up. But I was aware of the above but have no
> intension of spraying something I later want to eat although that was
> indeed the advice on the packet

The insecticide is only effective when the moths are active and for a
very short period in their life cycle - you spraying a very long time
before the fruit is enlarging/ripening.

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tc6qmg$fvei$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3105&group=uk.rec.gardening#3105

From: vir.campestris@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 22:03:12 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 21:03 UTC

On 30/07/2022 15:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 30/07/2022 12:34, alan_m wrote:
>> On 30/07/2022 11:20, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>
>> It looks like the same stuff as I used from
>>
>> https://www.pest-expert.com/pest-expert-formula-c-clothes-moth-spray-5ltr-107-p.asp
>>

>> In case its not cloths moths but carpet moths they also do a power
>> insecticide
>>
>> https://www.pest-expert.com/pest-expert-formula-p-carpet-moth--beetle-powder-300g-257-p.asp
>>

>> The pheromone traps caught most behind furniture so I used powder on the
>> carpets around the edges of the room and under sofas/bookcases  and the
>> spray in more open spaces  and wardrobes etc.
>>
>> One application of the combined insecticides solved my problem - I kept
>> putting out fresh pheromone traps for months afterwards to check.
>
> Good to know. I'll get some. Thanks for the recommendation.
>
>> A had a few spiders around the areas I was treating and it took those
>> down within 30 seconds.
>
> Pity. I like spiders as they keep the pests down.

There's a parasitic wasp available to help deal with clothes moths. I'm
trying to talk my wife into getting some.

I assume once I have them in the house the moth population will
collapse. But probably not to zero.

And they won't affect the spiders :)

Andy

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tc6rnn$g4hm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3106&group=uk.rec.gardening#3106

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 22:20:55 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 21:20 UTC

On 31/07/2022 22:03, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 30/07/2022 15:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 30/07/2022 12:34, alan_m wrote:
>>> On 30/07/2022 11:20, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks like the same stuff as I used from
>>>
>>> https://www.pest-expert.com/pest-expert-formula-c-clothes-moth-spray-5ltr-107-p.asp
>>>

>>> In case its not cloths moths but carpet moths they also do a power
>>> insecticide
>>>
>>> https://www.pest-expert.com/pest-expert-formula-p-carpet-moth--beetle-powder-300g-257-p.asp
>>>

>>> The pheromone traps caught most behind furniture so I used powder on the
>>> carpets around the edges of the room and under sofas/bookcases  and the
>>> spray in more open spaces  and wardrobes etc.
>>>
>>> One application of the combined insecticides solved my problem - I kept
>>> putting out fresh pheromone traps for months afterwards to check.
>>
>> Good to know. I'll get some. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>> A had a few spiders around the areas I was treating and it took those
>>> down within 30 seconds.
>>
>> Pity. I like spiders as they keep the pests down.
>>

> There's a parasitic wasp available to help deal with clothes moths. I'm
> trying to talk my wife into getting some.
>
> I assume once I have them in the house the moth population will
> collapse. But probably not to zero.
>
> And they won't affect the spiders :)

Interesting, but they only affect the eggs, not the larvae or the moths.
One of the suppliers says that the larvae can live for several months,
some as long as 30 months! If that's the case, it makes sense to use the
chemicals which knock out the larvae first, then after a couple of weeks
rest start using the wasps.

--

Jeff

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<jl1qo1Fcb0rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3109&group=uk.rec.gardening#3109

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 4 Aug 2022 12:01:06 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 12:01 UTC

On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:14:01 +0000, David wrote:

> Allegedly Oullins Golden Gage ripens early to mid August.
> Picking them now, with the rest looking to be ready within the next
> week.
>
> Victoria is rapidly changing colour but not ripening yet.
>
> Is everyone getting early ripening this year?

Update:

As suggested, the very early ripeners had bugs to help them.
Fortunately the later ripeners don't seem to.

However the gage has been picked and the Victoria is ripening at a
frightening rate so we may well be cooking and freezing some.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Plums/Gages ripening early

<tcglmc$2r47t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3112&group=uk.rec.gardening#3112

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 15:39:08 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 14:39 UTC

On 04/08/2022 13:01, David wrote:
> However the gage has been picked and the Victoria is ripening at a
> frightening rate so we may well be cooking and freezing some.
Last year I expected to be doing that, but somehow all the gages just
got et before I got a round tuit

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)