LOAD "LINUX",8,1 -- Topic on #LinuxGER

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Horses get very special treatment

SubjectAuthor
* Horses get very special treatmentswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Horses get very special treatmentSpike
+* Re: Horses get very special treatmentswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Horses get very special treatmentJNugent
+- Re: Horses get very special treatmentJNugent
+* Re: Horses get very special treatmentswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Horses get very special treatmentJNugent
+- Re: Horses get very special treatmentswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Horses get very special treatmentswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Horses get very special treatmentSpike
`- Re: Horses get very special treatmentswldx...@gmail.com

1
Horses get very special treatment

<fc4117ac-aa98-4de9-962f-b10994d84d68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31132&group=uk.rec.cycling#31132

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 22:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Horses get very special treatment
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 05:58 UTC

And drivers don't bellyache when they pass them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0u-j4IXoAAgILB?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<kh4d9mFdbt9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31134&group=uk.rec.cycling#31134

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Horses get very special treatment
Date: 11 Jul 2023 07:05:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:05 UTC

> And drivers don't bellyache when they pass them.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0u-j4IXoAAgILB?format=jpg&name=medium

Written by horse-riders.

Horses represent a danger, and creeping past them at 10mph only serves to
extend the period for which that danger, to all parties, exists.

Earlier this year I was using an electric trimmer on a neighbour’s hedge,
when I noticed two horses and riders on the road, taking up the full width,
coming slowly towards me. Out of consideration, I stopped trimming, put it
down, and waited for them to pass.

Did they say ‘Thanks’? Or nod? Or raise their hand?

Nope, they treated my considerate action almost as if it was their due.
Perhaps I should have touched my forelock.

Next time they appear in the road, they can take their chances. Especially
with the local e-bike rider that whizzes past at near 40mph.

--
Spike

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<3b087542-3b08-4d29-b0dc-3cd65a6b32een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31137&group=uk.rec.cycling#31137

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 03:35:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:35 UTC

My car was recently kicked by a lady on a horse (the horse kicked the car not the lady). It caused a dint in my passenger side wing. The lady apologised and gave me her insurance details. (which was insurance for riding a horse on the public roads). Her insurance company has refused to pay saying "she could not have anticipated her horse kicking my car".

The bill for mending the car was £150 I received 2 quotes the first was for £300 and odd. I also had to pay for a hire car whilst the work was being done. I have asked the lady herself to reimburse me the £150 (not the hire car) just to have my car repaired and she is refusing referring me to her insurance company.

I am very upset by this as it is not my fault her horse was very skitty and should not have been on such a narrow country lane. What do you think I should do? I was thinking of taking her to the small claims court.

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<kh4rtbFfjo9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31138&group=uk.rec.cycling#31138

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:14:51 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:14 UTC

....swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Dumb Animal] wrote:

> And drivers don't bellyache when they pass them.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0u-j4IXoAAgILB?format=jpg&name=medium

....because horses are *dumb* animals incapable of logical thought,
reasoning or foresight. Their reactions and reactions cannot be reliably
forseen.

If chav-cyclists like you want to be regarded in the same way, you only
have to say so. It would make sense.

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<kh4s3vFfjo9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31139&group=uk.rec.cycling#31139

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 12:18:23 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:18 UTC

On 11/07/2023 11:35 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> My car was recently kicked by a lady on a horse (the horse kicked the car not the lady). It caused a dint in my passenger side wing. The lady apologised and gave me her insurance details. (which was insurance for riding a horse on the public roads). Her insurance company has refused to pay saying "she could not have anticipated her horse kicking my car". [sic]
>
> The bill for mending the car was £150 I received 2 quotes the first was for £300 and odd. I also had to pay for a hire car whilst the work was being done. I have asked the lady herself to reimburse me the £150 (not the hire car) just to have my car repaired and she is refusing referring me to her insurance company.
>
> I am very upset by this as it is not my fault her horse was very skitty and should not have been on such a narrow country lane. What do you think I should do? I was thinking of taking her to the small claims court.

Is the horse a "her", then?

There's no point in taking a horse of straw to court, small claims or
otherwise.

Come on... £150 is bugger all these days. It costs more than that to
have a replacement driver's mirror supplied and fitted.

Suck it up.

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<b79b0797-029b-4a56-b564-11c137bd283en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31140&group=uk.rec.cycling#31140

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 04:26:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:26 UTC

A horse has caused havoc after getting loose in a coffee shop drive-through - resulting in thousands of pounds worth of property damage.

Customers of Costa Coffee Drive Thru, located on Yarm Road, Darlington, were stunned to see a horse attacking their vehicles after getting free from the carriage it was pulling.

But when the individuals who had brought the horse through Costa's drive-through were confronted about the damage that it was causing, they allegedly refused to take responsibility, despite three vehicles having windows smashed and paintwork scratched.

Mike Whitaker, of Darlington, whose car was damaged, told The Northern Echo: "I had parked my car to that I could have a relaxing coffee with a friend, only to be interrupted by a member of the Costa staff.

"They told me that my car had been hit by a horse - I found it bizarre and disturbing.

"Two young men and their children had parked their horse and cart in the car park, and whilst they were in the cafe, their horse got loose and panicked, hitting three cars.

"Mine was one of the cars that it attacked, and I ended up with a smashed window, a loose wing mirror and a dent in the bodywork. All in all, it will come to between £500 and £1,000 to repair."

When Mr Whitaker approached the young men, he found them unwilling to take any responsibility for the damage caused to his vehicle.

"They refused to have any responsibility or even say sorry for the inconvenience. They laughed, were quite aggressive, and walked away from the site.

"They said that they did not own the horse, that they didn't need a licence either, and that there was really nothing that I could do.

Mr Whitaker also raised concerns about the impact this could have on other Darlington residents: "How can people feel safe, and go out and enjoy themselves in Darlington when there is the potential for this to happen again."

Read more: What happens if my dog eats a conker?

"And what about the children that were with the horse? Their safety was at risk too."

Two other individuals had their vehicles damaged during the chaos, too - with Mr Whitaker advising us one was a Costa customer, and the other was a member of staff.

The Northern Echo has approached Durham Constabulary and Costa Coffee for comment, but as of yet, neither has issued responses.

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<4d01a547-1c49-4df7-a420-2d2e91504cd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31141&group=uk.rec.cycling#31141

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 04:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:36 UTC

[...]

<kh5l44Fjj2vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31147&group=uk.rec.cycling#31147

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:25:08 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:25 UTC

> A horse has caused havoc after getting loose in a coffee shop drive-through - resulting in thousands of pounds worth of property damage.
> Customers of Costa Coffee Drive Thru, located on Yarm Road, Darlington, were stunned to see a horse attacking their vehicles after getting free from the carriage it was pulling.
> But when the individuals who had brought the horse through Costa's drive-through were confronted about the damage that it was causing, they allegedly refused to take responsibility, despite three vehicles having windows smashed and paintwork scratched.
> Mike Whitaker, of Darlington, whose car was damaged, told The Northern Echo: "I had parked my car to that I could have a relaxing coffee with a friend, only to be interrupted by a member of the Costa staff.
> "They told me that my car had been hit by a horse - I found it bizarre and disturbing.
> "Two young men and their children had parked their horse and cart in the car park, and whilst they were in the cafe, their horse got loose and panicked, hitting three cars.
> "Mine was one of the cars that it attacked, and I ended up with a smashed window, a loose wing mirror and a dent in the bodywork. All in all, it will come to between £500 and £1,000 to repair."
> When Mr Whitaker approached the young men, he found them unwilling to take any responsibility for the damage caused to his vehicle.
> "They refused to have any responsibility or even say sorry for the inconvenience. They laughed, were quite aggressive, and walked away from the site.

An accurate-enough description for anyone familiar with certain sorts of
people. The horse-drawn carriage rather gives it away.

Chances of being adequately compensated for damage: 0% or less (in that
an aggrieved person instituting civil proceedings could well be even
further out of pocket).

They about as much chance of getting the cost of repairs as they would
have if a chav-on-a-bike T-boned them.

> "They said that they did not own the horse, that they didn't need a licence either, and that there was really nothing that I could do.
> Mr Whitaker also raised concerns about the impact this could have on other Darlington residents: "How can people feel safe, and go out and enjoy themselves in Darlington when there is the potential for this to happen again."
> Read more: What happens if my dog eats a conker?
> "And what about the children that were with the horse? Their safety was at risk too."
> Two other individuals had their vehicles damaged during the chaos, too - with Mr Whitaker advising us one was a Costa customer, and the other was a member of staff.
> The Northern Echo has approached Durham Constabulary and Costa Coffee for comment, but as of yet, neither has issued responses.

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<52e239ec-d171-4f13-a789-0aba788cb445n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31150&group=uk.rec.cycling#31150

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:39:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:39 UTC

QUOTE: Data from Saga Car Insurance for the over 50s revealed some of the more bizarre cases in the last 12 months.

One driver fancied a hike round Dartmoor National Park , but when he returned to the car park he found 12 horses licking the paintwork off his car. The naughty nags caused £1,200 worth of damage. ENDS

OUCH!

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<kh73v2Fqm80U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31157&group=uk.rec.cycling#31157

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 12 Jul 2023 07:44:34 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:44 UTC

> QUOTE: Data from Saga Car Insurance for the over 50s revealed some of the
> more bizarre cases in the last 12 months.
>
> One driver fancied a hike round Dartmoor National Park , but when he
> returned to the car park he found 12 horses licking the paintwork off his
> car. The naughty nags caused £1,200 worth of damage. ENDS
>
> OUCH!

Dartmoor has wild ponies, not horses…OUCH!

--
Spike

Re: Horses get very special treatment

<ff9c9c24-1ec9-43ff-8ee7-8936138c8855n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31159&group=uk.rec.cycling#31159

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 03:14:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:14 UTC

THE FAMILY of a Flintshire man whose life changed forever when his car collided with two horses have set up a fundraiser to help bring him home.

On January 10, 2022, Ian Tilston from Hawarden, had been travelling to Pure Power, where he worked as a warehouse operator, as normal.

He took junction 10 of the M56, where it later turned out that two horses - which had managed to escape from a nearby site - were running around.

According to Ian's brother, Adam, two other cars managed to escape the scene with little impact - but his brother was left 'crushed inside his car' as one of the horses collided with the vehicle.

As a result of the incident, Ian suffered two cardiac arrests, major brain trauma and a punctured lung.

The now 34-year-old was transferred to Salford Royal Hospital, where he had numerous brain surgeries, was on life support for months, and was also in a coma for a couple of months too.

Miraculously, he has since come out of critical condition, but has been left blind and has been told he will not be able to walk again.

Adam said: "His memory is also limited from the injuries. He was transferred to the Walton Centre in Liverpool, where he has received amazing treatment.

"Ian can now speak again, but he is becoming more and more aware of his injuries and limits. If it was not for the speedy response of paramedics Ian would not be with us."