I just had a NOSE JOB!!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

SubjectAuthor
* ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike
+- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike
+* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike
|`* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
| +* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike
| |`- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists sJNugent
| `* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists sJNugent
|  `- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike
+* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike
|`* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike
`* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike
 `* Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for imswldx...@gmail.com
  `- Re: ‘Dangerous’ junctionSpike

1
‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<2055f7f7-b683-4de8-b633-0d716cffc81fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31170&group=uk.rec.cycling#31170

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:22:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ‘Dangerous’_junction_for_cyclists_set_for_improv
ements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:22 UTC

ALMOST £930,000 will be spent to deliver improvements to a junction which is ‘dangerous’ for cyclists.

The junction of Bewsey Road and Lovely Lane will become a CYCLOPS (cycle optimised protected signals) junction – which will provide ‘segregated’ cycle paths and footways, with a dedicated pedestrian and cycle signalised crossing.

At its meeting on Monday, the council’s cabinet approved the funding package and budget for the scheme, as well as giving delegated approval for the award of the construction contract for the project.

The estimated cost to complete all of the scheme works inclusive of a risk allowance for the construction phase is £928,893.

This will be made up of £759,500 from the Department for Transports’ Active Travel Fund, and £169,393 from capital borrowing.

Council leader Cllr Russ Bowden said he is ‘really excited’ about the scheme.

He added: “I’m certainly for anything which makes our streets safer – and it’s too easy to think of roads and streets and highways as being all about car users and actually we’ve got a range of users.

“And, certainly, you look at the location of this, its proximity to schools, its proximity to the hospital, everything we should be thinking about, encouraging and facilitating greater use of walking and cycling as a way of moving around our town.

“Certainly a lot of the time it’s about giving confidence, giving confidence to other road users, in terms of those choices they might want to make but ensuring that they’re safe, they’re safe for them, they’re safe for their children, and that needs to be commended.”

The junction is an existing traffic signalled controlled junction which lies at the intersection of two key cycle routes as defined within the Warrington local cycling and walking infrastructure plan.

A report to cabinet said the existing movement through the junction by cycle is ‘difficult and at times dangerous’, adding a CYCLOPS junction has been identified as the ‘most appropriate’ solution for the junction.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/23650888.dangerous-junction-cyclists-set-improvements/

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improv ements

<kh80a8FjaaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31173&group=uk.rec.cycling#31173

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction
for cyclists set for improv ements
Date: 12 Jul 2023 15:48:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:48 UTC

> ALMOST £930,000 will be spent to deliver improvements to a junction
> which is ‘dangerous’ for cyclists.
>
> The junction of Bewsey Road and Lovely Lane will become a CYCLOPS (cycle
> optimised protected signals) junction – which will provide ‘segregated’
> cycle paths and footways, with a dedicated pedestrian and cycle signalised crossing.

<snip>

> https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/23650888.dangerous-junction-cyclists-set-improvements/

Freeborn John
5 mins ago
User ID: 109221
It's that 'free money' thing again, if a government grant was available for
councils to build zeppelin sheds, WBC would hit it like a starving shark
and then worry about where they'd get a zeppelin from later.
Last Updated: 3 mins ago

--
Spike

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improv ements

<kh80hhFkfpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31174&group=uk.rec.cycling#31174

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
for cyclists set for improv ements
Date: 12 Jul 2023 15:52:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:52 UTC

> ALMOST £930,000 will be spent to deliver improvements to a junction
> which is ‘dangerous’ for cyclists.

> The junction of Bewsey Road and Lovely Lane will become a CYCLOPS (cycle
> optimised protected signals) junction – which will provide ‘segregated’
> cycle paths and footways, with a dedicated pedestrian and cycle signalised crossing.

<snip>

> https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/23650888.dangerous-junction-cyclists-set-improvements/

muckerman
54 mins ago
User ID: 489285
No need to spend all that money if cyclists obeyed the Highway Code and
stopped at red lights.
Last Updated: 7 mins ago

--
Spike

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<08add11c-8877-4704-851d-a128f085ec7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31176&group=uk.rec.cycling#31176

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:31:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_‘Dangerous’_junction_for_cyclists_set_for_im
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 16:31 UTC

Simon Mason 1 hr ago
User ID: 3883754
Think of the vast sums that could be saved in parking wardens fees and speed cameras as well!
===================================IF ONLY DRIVERS OBEYED THE LAW!

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for im provements

<kh84ofF2hqnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31180&group=uk.rec.cycling#31180

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
for cyclists set for im provements
Date: 12 Jul 2023 17:04:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:04 UTC

> Simon Mason 1 hr ago
> User ID: 3883754
> Think of the vast sums that could be saved in parking wardens fees and
> speed cameras as well!
> ====================================
> IF ONLY DRIVERS OBEYED THE LAW!

Theis is a junction to be brought about for the benefit of cyclists. They
could always read and follow the Highway Code if they wanted to improve
their safety. road.cc’s videos of cyclists showed 50% ignoring red lights.
If motor-vehicle drivers did that, there would be outrage. Cyclists just
get away with it.

--
Spike

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<c2d768c7-3f9f-4ca0-9129-b0632fb864e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31182&group=uk.rec.cycling#31182

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:35 UTC

QUOTE: Council leader Cllr Russ Bowden said he is ‘really excited’ about the scheme.

He added: “I’m certainly for anything which makes our streets safer – and it’s too easy to think of roads and streets and highways as being all about car users and actually we’ve got a range of users.

“And, certainly, you look at the location of this, its proximity to schools, its proximity to the hospital, everything we should be thinking about, encouraging and facilitating greater use of walking and cycling as a way of moving around our town. ENDS

APPLAUSE - WHAT A FORWARD LOOKING COUNCIL!

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for im provements

<kh89ocF3bbpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31183&group=uk.rec.cycling#31183

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
for cyclists set for im provements
Date: 12 Jul 2023 18:29:32 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:29 UTC

> QUOTE: Council leader Cllr Russ Bowden said he is ‘really excited’ about the scheme.
>
> He added: “I’m certainly for anything which makes our streets safer – and
> it’s too easy to think of roads and streets and highways as being all
> about car users and actually we’ve got a range of users.
>
> “And, certainly, you look at the location of this, its proximity to
> schools, its proximity to the hospital, everything we should be thinking
> about, encouraging and facilitating greater use of walking and cycling as
> a way of moving around our town. ENDS
>
> APPLAUSE - WHAT A FORWARD LOOKING COUNCIL!

Have you ever heard of the term ‘virtue signalling’?

--
Spike

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<b3b4dfa2-260e-4d3c-a84b-113ff97538f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31185&group=uk.rec.cycling#31185

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 12:03:56 -0700 (PDT)
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:03 UTC

QUOTE: “Certainly a lot of the time it’s about giving confidence, giving confidence to other road users, in terms of those choices they might want to make but ensuring that they’re safe, they’re safe for them, they’re safe for their children, and that needs to be commended.” ENDS

Ah but the speeding drivers don't give a toss about the children, by definition.
Not unless there's a camera around.

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for im provements

<kh8c8qF3nsoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31187&group=uk.rec.cycling#31187

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
for cyclists set for im provements
Date: 12 Jul 2023 19:12:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:12 UTC

> QUOTE: “Certainly a lot of the time it’s about giving confidence, giving
> confidence to other road users, in terms of those choices they might want
> to make but ensuring that they’re safe, they’re safe for them, they’re
> safe for their children, and that needs to be commended.” ENDS

> Ah but the speeding drivers don't give a toss about the children, by definition.

Like some cyclists, who speed past schools at their busiest.

> Not unless there's a camera around.

--
Spike

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<3f0e4d7d-1898-40a5-a3c4-1f30d6179bb2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31189&group=uk.rec.cycling#31189

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 12:18:07 -0700 (PDT)
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:18 UTC

QUOTE: “And, certainly, you look at the location of this, its proximity to schools, its proximity to the hospital, everything we should be thinking about, encouraging and facilitating greater use of walking and cycling as a way of moving around our town. ENDS

Disabled people? Let's park on the pavements as well and really screw them over.

"In a perfect example of why pavement parking is blight, wheelchair user Becky Whitworth told Twitter how she was unable to get into her house by a line of cars parked on the pavement. All the drivers were in the local pub, which was itself was inaccessible to her."

Over 80 per cent of local authorities have reported that pavement parking is a widespread problem in their area.

The findings of the most recent government consultation on pavement parking confirmed that vulnerable pedestrians are most at risk, and in particular: people with visual impairments; people who use mobility aids, including guide dogs, wheelchairs, and mobility scooters; young children and people with prams and pushchairs.

A review of surveys carried out by organisations representing disabled people, as well as cycling and walking provided evidence of pedestrians being injured or very nearly injured, because of vehicles parking on pavements. The surveys indicated that 95% of visually impaired people had had a problem with vehicles parked on pavements in the previous year. This figure rose to 98% of wheelchair users. A survey found that 32% of respondents with vision impairments were less willing to go out on their own because of pavement parking.

Pavement parking also has a negative financial impact on local authorities with one estimating that 10 to 20% of its pavement repair budget of £500,000 is spent repairing pavements damaged because of pavement parking each year.

The reluctance of government to deal with pavement parking may be due in part to lobbying by the motoring lobby. The AA described talk of a nationwide ban on pavement parking as ‘a step too far’ and a recipe for parking chaos. However, campaign groups are determined to see a change in the law. Let’s pedestrianise pavements once and for all.

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for im provements

<kh8ilbF4n7iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31193&group=uk.rec.cycling#31193

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
for cyclists set for im provements
Date: 12 Jul 2023 21:01:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 21:01 UTC

QUOTE Let’s pedestrianise pavements once and for all. ENDQUOTE

Quite. Couldn’t agree more. Get cyclists back where they belong.

> QUOTE: “And, certainly, you look at the location of this, its proximity
> to schools, its proximity to the hospital, everything we should be
> thinking about, encouraging and facilitating greater use of walking and
> cycling as a way of moving around our town. ENDS
>
> Disabled people? Let's park on the pavements as well and really screw them over.
>
> "In a perfect example of why pavement parking is blight, wheelchair user
> Becky Whitworth told Twitter how she was unable to get into her house by
> a line of cars parked on the pavement. All the drivers were in the local
> pub, which was itself was inaccessible to her."
>
> Over 80 per cent of local authorities have reported that pavement parking
> is a widespread problem in their area.
>
> The findings of the most recent government consultation on pavement
> parking confirmed that vulnerable pedestrians are most at risk, and in
> particular: people with visual impairments; people who use mobility aids,
> including guide dogs, wheelchairs, and mobility scooters; young children
> and people with prams and pushchairs.
>
> A review of surveys carried out by organisations representing disabled
> people, as well as cycling and walking provided evidence of pedestrians
> being injured or very nearly injured, because of vehicles parking on
> pavements. The surveys indicated that 95% of visually impaired people had
> had a problem with vehicles parked on pavements in the previous year.
> This figure rose to 98% of wheelchair users. A survey found that 32% of
> respondents with vision impairments were less willing to go out on their
> own because of pavement parking.
>
> Pavement parking also has a negative financial impact on local
> authorities with one estimating that 10 to 20% of its pavement repair
> budget of £500,000 is spent repairing pavements damaged because of
> pavement parking each year.
>
> The reluctance of government to deal with pavement parking may be due in
> part to lobbying by the motoring lobby. The AA described talk of a
> nationwide ban on pavement parking as ‘a step too far’ and a recipe for
> parking chaos. However, campaign groups are determined to see a change in
> the law. Let’s pedestrianise pavements once and for all.

--
Spike

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<9de5a63a-d063-416b-a4cb-67455b5cd026n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31195&group=uk.rec.cycling#31195

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 14:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 21:10 UTC

QUOTE: The reluctance of government to deal with pavement parking may be due in part to lobbying by the motoring lobby. ENDS

That's like saying that the objection to taking drugs is due to lobbying by the smackhead lobby.
Sod these bastards.

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for im provements

<kh8mikF5b3oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31198&group=uk.rec.cycling#31198

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
for cyclists set for im provements
Date: 12 Jul 2023 22:08:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:08 UTC

> QUOTE: The reluctance of government to deal with pavement parking may be
> due in part to lobbying by the motoring lobby. ENDS
>
> That's like saying that the objection to taking drugs is due to lobbying
> by the smackhead lobby.
> Sod these bastards.

It could be worse, like the cycling groups lobbying for better protection
for pedestrians…totally altruistically, of course…

--
Spike

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<7e9304ac-03cf-45ad-9079-1a8a830f603fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31201&group=uk.rec.cycling#31201

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:57:30 -0700 (PDT)
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 05:57 UTC

QUOTE: A report to cabinet said the existing movement through the junction by cycle is ‘difficult and at times dangerous’, adding a CYCLOPS junction has been identified as the ‘most appropriate’ solution for the junction. ENDS

An illustration of the prototype CYCLOPS design complete with controlled Zebra crossings of the cycle track. The cycle lanes approaching from the four arms converge on the roundabout- style cycle track which completely encircles the junction. The majority of the controlled zone is contained within this ring.

Looks good!

https://walkridegm.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/CYCLOPS-Hulme.jpg

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for im provements

<kh9kdiF9p27U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31204&group=uk.rec.cycling#31204

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
for cyclists set for im provements
Date: 13 Jul 2023 06:37:38 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:37 UTC

> An illustration of the prototype CYCLOPS design complete with controlled
> Zebra crossings of the cycle track. The cycle lanes approaching from the
> four arms converge on the roundabout- style cycle track which completely
> encircles the junction. The majority of the controlled zone is contained within this ring.
>
> Looks good!
>
> https://walkridegm.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/CYCLOPS-Hulme.jpg

Nothing new there.

They’ll just cycle through the red lights, as per.

--
Spike

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<50085f2e-ce95-46dc-8f9b-d9e15c20ae2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31207&group=uk.rec.cycling#31207

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 03:42:32 -0700 (PDT)
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 10:42 UTC

A new Cycle Optimised Protected Signals (CYCLOPS) junction, which fully segregates cyclists from general traffic, has opened in Hulme, Manchester. It is the first of its type in the UK but more are set to follow.

Bicycles approach the junction from four ‘arms’, converging onto a cycle track which completely encircles the junction, allowing bikes to make a right turn while being protected from traffic, and to complete the manoeuvre in one movement (dependent on signal timings).

As part of an ambition to increase cycling and walking in Greater Manchester, the Bee Network is being rolled out. With a planned 1,800 miles (2,896 kilometres) of infrastructure, it will be the UK’s largest joined-up cycling and walking network and aims to provide “a genuine alternative” to driving. Engineers from Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM), the regional transport body, were challenged to provide safer junctions for cyclists whilst maintaining overall junction performance for all modes.

Richard Butler and Jonathan Salter, the TfGM engineers who designed the CYCLOPS, told Cities Today: “The key innovation is the cycle route being on the outside of the pedestrian crossings, which provides more space and means all types of junction arrangements can be incorporated within the external orbital cycle track.”

Flexible design

Chris Boardman, Cycling and Walking Commissioner for Greater Manchester, called the design “simply genius”.

“Crossing busy junctions on foot or by bike can be a complicated and scary experience and is often a huge barrier for people travelling by foot or bike, and having to navigate a number of these can make them opt for the car,” he said. “This junction design will make journeys easier and smoother for those doing their bit by cycling or walking, without impacting negatively on any other modes.”

Salter and Butler said that the design, which took three years from concept to deployment, is inspired by international examples of best practice, such as the well-established Dutch system. Over 30 CYCLOPS junctions are currently in development across Greater Manchester, with others underway in Cambridge and Ottawa, Canada.

The engineers said for future implementations: “The concept will stay the same, but a key benefit of this junction is that it’s incredibly versatile so can be adapted to suit different junction configurations and sizes.”

The opening of the CYCLOPS marks the completion of the first phase of the construction of a £13.4 million (US$16.9 million) cycling and walking route between Manchester and Chorlton.

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for im provements

<kha9o4Fd45bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31209&group=uk.rec.cycling#31209

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
for cyclists set for im provements
Date: 13 Jul 2023 12:41:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:41 UTC

I suspect the author didn’t want to state that “…complete the manoeuvre in
one movement (independent of signal timings)”[1] as we all know from the
road.cc videos of the cyclists’ propensity to cycle straight through red
lights.

[1] The original phraseology (see report below) was “…complete the

<3874488b-d735-4fb2-ab48-ee2216d62f59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31210&group=uk.rec.cycling#31210

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 05:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:53 UTC

On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 8:03:58 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: “Certainly a lot of the time it’s about giving confidence, giving confidence to other road users, in terms of those choices they might want to make but ensuring that they’re safe, they’re safe for them, they’re safe for their children, and that needs to be commended.” ENDS
>
> Ah but the speeding drivers don't give a toss about the children, by definition.
> Not unless there's a camera around.

More than one in five parent drivers (21 per cent) admit they have exceeded the speed limit outside their child's school – and a quarter don't even know what the speed limit is. Over half of parents (six in 10) have wound up in an argument with other parents over driving mishaps outside schools, according to a poll of 2,000 motorists, with children aged five to 16.

The top gripes for parent drivers include parents or children walking in the road or crossing without looking, and people leaving their engines on while waiting for children. Blocking pathways or driveways are also among the top 10 annoyances – but more than one in five (22 per cent) admit they have blocked a driveway in an effort to get closer to the school gate.

And almost a third (30 per cent) of parent motorists admitted to parking outside the school gates.

Bryn Brooker, head of road safety at dash cam leaders Nextbase, which commissioned the research and quiz, said: “School drop-off and pick up should be a happy time for families – but instead it’s a time of worry, stress, and ultimately risk. With so many not knowing the rules of the road around their schools, it’s resulting in 80 per cent of parents reporting arguments every school term.”

Mary Williams OBE, chief executive officer of road safety charity Brake, said: “The school run carries risks for children for so many reasons, including peak traffic times, drivers feeling rushed when they should be focussed on safety, unsafe parking, and traffic pollution.

“It can be even more risky in the darker winter months. This survey highlights many dangerous behaviours around the school run, from speeding to engine idling, risking children’s lives and lungs.

“It is vital to have effective road safety measures in our communities to protect children and families, and enable us to travel in healthy ways that benefit us all by walking and cycling. We need more segregated cycle paths, traffic free zones, and low speed limits across communities to end the carnage on roads.”

Just under one in three respondents (29 per cent) will leave their engines running, emitting fumes while waiting for kids to emerge from school. And a further 34 per cent would appreciate dash cams being used to settle disputes, according to the OnePoll figures.

In fact, a fifth (21 per cent) have already used dash cam footage to clear up a disagreement about which motorist was in the wrong.

The top reason parents will have broken the rules of the Highway Code outside their children’s school was found to be simply wanting to get there quicker (54 per cent).

However, 53 per cent worry they won’t be able to find a place to park, and almost half (48 per cent) admit they don’t always pay enough attention. Despite accepting they sometimes commit their own driving offences, 55 per cent wish more was done to enforce road safety outside their children’s schools.

Just over a third (37 per cent) would like to see larger fines for careless driving. And one in three - 33 per cent - want teachers to do more to dissuade poor motoring habits.

Three in 10 have seen parents being fined – or at least told off – for driving habits around their children’s school. And two in five (39 per cent) have personally witnessed a crash, or dangerous parking or driving in this busy area.

Bryn Brooker added: “For those who are the innocent party in a collision, a dash cam can be a real blessing, as the footage makes police and insurers’ lives so much easier. Having evidence to prove that you were not at fault has shown to be the most useful tool. It is also helping to make the roads safer, by helping others understand how to drive in high risk areas.”

Top gripes parents have about driving outside their children's school

Parents/children crossing the road without looking
People leaving their engines running while waiting for children
Parents/children walking in the road
Blocking pathways
Parking on double yellow lines
Blocking driveways
Speeding
Parking in the middle of the road
Parking on zig-zag lines outside school
Parents/children walking in the cycle lane
Driving down restricted zones
Parking outside the school gates
Parking in the cycle lane

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for im provements

<khafj7Fdvv3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31215&group=uk.rec.cycling#31215

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_‘Dangerous’_junction_for_cyclists_s
et_for_im_provements
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:21:26 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:21 UTC

On 12/07/2023 08:12 pm, Spike wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE: “Certainly a lot of the time it’s about giving confidence, giving
>> confidence to other road users, in terms of those choices they might want
>> to make but ensuring that they’re safe, they’re safe for them, they’re
>> safe for their children, and that needs to be commended.” ENDS
>
>> Ah but the speeding drivers don't give a toss about the children, by definition.
>
> Like some cyclists, who speed past schools at their busiest...

....and then *boast* about it (as they do after riding their chav-cycles
home after a skinful at the pub).

>> Not unless there's a camera around.

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<khafr3Fe2n3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31216&group=uk.rec.cycling#31216

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
et_for_improvements
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:25:39 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:25 UTC

On 13/07/2023 01:53 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 8:03:58 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

[ ... ]

> More than one in five parent drivers (21 per cent) admit they have exceeded the speed limit outside their child's school

That is another of your blatant and transparent lies.

On the other hand, we DO remember your boasts of riding your own chav's
fairy-bike past local schools at speeds in excess of the local limit.

And your boasts about riding your chav-fairy-cycle home late at night
after drinking too much to pass a breath-test.

You seemed to find both things funny, sociopath.

Re: ‘Dangerous’ junction for cyclists set for improvements

<7a3e12bb-8d6a-472f-a2fb-c7c46bec63acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31217&group=uk.rec.cycling#31217

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 08:21:52 -0700 (PDT)
provements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:21 UTC

Speed limits of 20mph should be imposed on all roads near schools to reduce the number of child crash deaths, according to a charity.

Brake, which campaigns to boost road safety, said cutting speed limits “saves lives”.

Department for Transport figures show 2,456 children aged under 16 were killed or seriously injured on Britain’s roads last year.

Many councils have introduced 20mph zones around schools.

But Brake said nearly two-thirds of parents reported that some roads near their children’s schools have higher limits.

The charity cited the example of Dropmore Infant School in Buckinghamshire where the limit on nearby roads is up to 60mph, and there are areas with no pavements.

Headteacher Gitta Streete, who has called for the speed limit on surrounding roads to be reduced to 20mph for several years, said: “What we often hear back is that because no one has been seriously hurt or killed on that road, there is no need to make any changes.

“One parent had their car door taken off by a passing car. That could easily have been a child, parent or carer being hit.

“What we need is a proper, phased speed reduction system: a reduction to 20mph outside the school and safe areas for everyone to walk along and cross the road.”

Steven Broadbent, Buckinghamshire Council’s cabinet member for transport, insisted the local authority takes road safety “incredibly seriously” and is “very much aware of the concerns that have been raised” in relation to Dropmore.

He went on: “We want to continue working as closely as possible with them and all schools to ensure all students have safe passage to and from school.”

Brake campaigns manager Lucy Straker said: “Dropmore’s situation is being replicated across the country.

“We speak to lots of schools where teachers are doing everything they can to make the roads near their school safe, but ultimately they need support from their local council and decision-makers.

“Why do we have to wait until a child is killed before we act?”

“We know that excess speed is a factor in about a quarter of fatal crashes, and the physics is pretty straightforward: the faster a vehicle is travelling, the harder it hits and the greater the impact.

“A crash at 30mph has twice the amount of kinetic energy as a crash at 20mph. Reducing speed saves lives.

“We’re calling for roads around every school to have 20mph speed limits – and other measures to effectively reduce traffic speed – so children and their families can travel safely to and from school every day.”

Children from more than 700 schools and nurseries are expected to participate in Brake’s Kids Walk on Wednesday, which involves walking in groups and calling for safe and healthy journeys without fear of traffic.

From 17 September, the Welsh government is introducing a default 20mph limit on residential roads and busy pedestrian streets.

It said Wales will be “one of the first countries in the world, and the first nation in the UK” to introduce such legislation.

Linda Taylor, transport spokesperson for the local government association, said: “It is up to each individual council to introduce measures based on their own local needs, taking into account the views of the school, police and local residents.

“Speed limits exist for a reason and road users must observe them to keep children and parents safe.”

A Department for Transport spokeswoman said: “Local authorities in England decide speed limits on their roads but we always encourage road designs that prioritise safety.