Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 06:33:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New bikes for Ipswich school children who need more mobility
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 13:33 UTC

Get on your bike and look for fun - that's the message for some pupils from two Ipswich schools who have joined with a local charity to improve mobility.

Genesis Orwell Mencap’s The Green Bike Project has teamed up with Castle Hill Primary School and Westbourne Academy to get 30 bicycles to children who wouldn't otherwise have them.

The scheme has been set up through borough and county councillor Sam Murray - who hopes to see it expanded in future.

At present 30 bikes have been distributed - but she hopes another 100 could be given to students from Westbourne Academy who do not have any transport..

The Green Bike Project is based at Genesis' premises in Wright Road, near the Ipswich Transport Museum, and the charity's customers restore donated cycles and then sell them.

In this case Ms Murray has stepped in to supply cycles to the schools. She said: "I am really happy that Genesis Orwell Mencap’s The Green Bike Project are working with me on my mission to get children the bikes that they need to freely cycle.

"My partnership with The Green Bike Project was a huge success and I am glad we are stepping it up for the children in my constituency.’’

The Green Bike Project’s instructor Dale Davey added: "This creates an amazing opportunity for the team at our project to know that they can give back to their community and that their disability does not limit this.’’

Ms Murray said there are hundreds of unused old bikes that are gathering dust in sheds and gardens all across Ipswich.

"These aren’t being used and if they are moved it is to simply throw them away, but instead of creating more waste get in touch with The Green Bike Project and offer to donate your bike to go to Westbourne Academy."

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/23652468.new-bikes-ipswich-school-children-need-mobility/