Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 08:22:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Worcester residents benefit from bike re-cycle scheme
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:22 UTC

A dedicated group promoting safe and accessible cycling in Worcester have teamed up with Crowngate Shopping Centre to create a bike recycling pop-up in the city centre.

Volunteers from Bike Worcester are refurbishing bikes and making them available to people who might otherwise struggle to afford a new bike and don’t have the knowledge to fix up an old bike.

The pop-up is situated in the former vacant unit on Friary Walk.

Phil Jones, from Bike Worcester, said: “I am so proud of what our team of volunteers has achieved so far, and we are really grateful to the owners of the Crowngate Shopping Centre, The Crown Estate for making this possible with the generous loan of the workshop space.

"In the first six months, as well as setting everything up, finding volunteers and tools, developing our processes and ways of working, we have placed 18 bikes with new owners.”

Recipients of bikes have included refugees, parents who want to accompany their children to school on the bike bus and other who just need a bike.

All recipients are living in Worcester with one exception - one of the refurbished bikes was taken back to the Ukraine by a refugee family.

To find out more about the great work Bike Worcester are doing or to donate a bike visit www.bikeworcester.org.uk or find them at The Worcester Show on the August 13.

To keep up to date with the latest news and events at Crowngate, visit www.crowngate-worcester.co.uk, or follow them on social media.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/23655945.worcester-residents-benefit-bike-re-cycle-scheme/