Q: Why did the tachyon cross the road? A: Because it was on the other side.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the way

SubjectAuthor
* Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the wayswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Rollout of chav-bike dustbins continues with another 110 on theJNugent
+* Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the wayswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the waySpike
`* Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the wayswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the waySpike
 `- Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the wayswldx...@gmail.com

1
Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the way

<f9313125-72f0-467a-ab29-e909ef273b2an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31306&group=uk.rec.cycling#31306

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 08:34:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the way
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 15:34 UTC

The council’s programme of installing bike hangars is continuing with a big increase in numbers planned.

The next phase of the rollout will see another 110 hangars being placed in residential streets. There are already 118 hangars in Wandsworth.

A list of streets has now been published and residents are being asked to take part in a consultation to confirm their support for these locations.

Each hangar provides safe and secure storage for up to six bikes – and are primarily aimed at residents who want to travel on two wheels but lack the storage space in their homes to keep a bicycle.

Jenny Yates, Cabinet Member for Transport, said: “Supporting cycling as a means of transport and improving key infrastructure for both cyclists and pedestrians are key priorities for the council as part of our Future Streets Strategy.

“Most journeys in the city are relatively short and could easily and quickly be completed by bike or on foot. Not only is walking and cycling much better for people’s health and well-being it also helps improve the air we all breathe. That’s why we are working hard to make it easier for people to choose these forms of travel.

“Hangars offer residents a safe and secure way to store their bikes when not in use. This is especially important for residents living in flats who don’t have the room to store their bikes indoors and for households that own a number of bicycles.

“Increasing the supply of secure residential cycle parking will play a pivotal role in achieving our target for 78 per cent of trips by residents to be by walking, cycling and public transport by 2030.”

See here for a list of the residential streets where bike hangars are now proposed.

The borough’s housing estates are also being earmarked for additional hangars with many more planned. In the most recent programme 37 new estate hangars were delivered with a special focus on Roehampton which is poorly served by public transport and where secure cycle parking spaces are scarce. Of these 37 hangars, 30 have been sited in the Roehampton area.

Residents can request a bike hangar for their street via the council’s website.

The current consultation can be accessed here. It runs until August 15.

To find out more about how the council is working to tackle climate change visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk/climatechange.

https://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/news-july-2023/rollout-of-bike-hangars-continues-with-another-110-on-the-way/

Re: Rollout of chav-bike dustbins continues with another 110 on the way

<khjdjoFr73rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31326&group=uk.rec.cycling#31326

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Rollout of chav-bike dustbins continues with another 110 on the
way
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 00:42:48 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 23:42 UTC

> The council’s programme of installing chav-bike dustbins is continuing with a big increase in numbers planned.
>
> The next phase of the rollout will see another 110 chav-bike dustbins being placed in residential streets. There are already 118 chav-bike dustbins in Wandsworth.
>
> A list of streets has now been published and residents are being asked to take part in a consultation to confirm their support for these locations.
>
> Each chav-bike dustbin provides safe and secure storage for up to chav-six bikes – and are primarily aimed at chavs who want to travel on two wheels but lack the storage space in their homes to keep a chav-bike.
>
> Jenny Yates, Cabinet Member for Transport, said: “Supporting chav-cycling as a means of transport and improving key infrastructure for both chavs on bikes and pedestrians are key priorities for the council as part of our Future Streets Strategy.

You can do either one, but you cannot do both. The needs and aspirations
of normal people and those of chavs on bikes are in tension with each other.

> “Most journeys in the city are relatively short and could easily and quickly be completed by chav-bike or on foot. Not only is walking and chav-cycling much better for people’s health and well-being it also helps improve the air we all breathe. That’s why we are working hard to make it easier for people to choose these forms of travel.
>
> “Chav-bike dustbins offer residents a safe and secure way to store their chav-bikes when not in use. This is especially important for chavs living in flats who don’t have the room to store their chav-bikes indoors and for households that own a number of chav-bicycles.
>
> “Increasing the supply of secure residential chav-cycle parking will play a pivotal role in achieving our target for 78 per cent of trips by residents to be by walking, chav-cycling and public transport by 2030.”
>
> See here for a list of the residential streets where chav-bike dustbins are now proposed.
>
> The borough’s housing estates are also being earmarked for additional chav-bike dustbins with many more planned. In the most recent programme 37 new estate chav-bike dustbins were delivered with a special focus on Roehampton which is poorly served by public transport and where secure chav-cycle parking spaces are scarce. Of these 37 chav-bike dustbins, 30 have been sited in the Roehampton area.
>
> Residents can request a chav-bike dustbins for their street via the council’s website.
>
> The current consultation can be accessed here. It runs until August 15.
>
> To find out more about how the council is working to tackle climate change visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk/climatechange.
>
> https://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/news-july-2023/rollout-of-bike-hangars-continues-with-another-110-on-the-way/

FIFY.

Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the way

<581e18ae-2e53-4913-a7dc-0cd9fbd69f56n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31329&group=uk.rec.cycling#31329

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 01:02:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 08:02 UTC

> To find out more about how the council is working to tackle climate change visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk/climatechange.
>
> https://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/news-july-2023/rollout-of-bike-hangars-continues-with-another-110-on-the-way/

We will be moving away from methods of transport that are harmful to the environment while empowering and encouraging residents and businesses to use sustainable transport.
Reducing vehicle emissions by making it as easy as possible to walk, cycle, car share or use public transport, ULEZ, transition to ULEZ compliant vehicle fleet
Providing local business with low-carbon transport alternatives such as e-Cargo bikes as well as encouraging take up of low emission vehicles
Replacing the Council’s existing fleet of 32 commercial vehicles with 28 replacements that produce lower emissions
Signing more schools up to our School Streets programme which enforces ‘no traffic zones’ around schools during pick up and drop off times
Encouraging take-up of electric vehicles, we currently have more EV charging points than any other borough. We have 560 charging points with another 140 being added in 2021

What you can do

Actions you can take:

Cycle or walk where possible
Shop locally
Consider transitioning to an electric vehicle, the central Government has grants available

Outcomes of our actions

Cleaner air
Less traffic
Safer streets
Improved health from exercise

Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the way

<khkckiF1cnmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31331&group=uk.rec.cycling#31331

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 17 Jul 2023 08:32:18 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 08:32 UTC

> What you can do

> Actions you can take:

> Cycle or walk where possible

> Shop locally

Even if the items on offer, especially food, are higher-priced and if lower
quality. To support these aspirations you may need to eat ordure.

> Consider transitioning to an electric vehicle, the central Government
> has grants available

EVs are vastly overpriced, considerable underperformers, and merely export
their emissions to the manufacturing countries and generation sites. Last
year over 70% of UK energy came from oil and gas.

It makes no sense to generate electricity from oil and gas, transport it
with its attendant losses, and then charge a battery that’s 70% efficient.
It would be cleaner to put fuel into a vehicle’s tank and use it in the
normal way.

> Outcomes of our actions

> Cleaner air

Nope.

> Less traffic

Nope. You’re still moving the same number of bottoms.

> Safer streets

Claimed

> Improved health from exercise

No high-cycling country has better outcomes from the major diseases. If you
want better health, eat a healthy diet.

--
Spike

Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the way

<7e864b5e-9fc8-4886-9f49-7f9eca2ec0e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31333&group=uk.rec.cycling#31333

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 05:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 12:21 UTC

QUOTE: Actions we are taking on water:

Identify funding sources for drainage and waterways improvements, working in partnership with Thames Water, The Environment Agency and Port of London Authority
Continue to support the work of the Tideway project and foster good working relationships and collaborations with external organisations to help maintain the quality of our local waterways. ENDS

Shame what has happened to your water after you left the EU.
The dirty man of Europe again - just like before you joined in the early '70's
Well done, Brextards.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1PPuF4WwAE6y13?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the way

<khl40fF51e7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31341&group=uk.rec.cycling#31341

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 17 Jul 2023 15:11:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:11 UTC

> QUOTE: Actions we are taking on water:

Such as walking on it?

> Identify funding sources for drainage and waterways improvements,
> working in partnership with Thames Water, The Environment Agency and Port
> of London Authority
> Continue to support the work of the Tideway project and foster good
> working relationships and collaborations with external organisations to
> help maintain the quality of our local waterways. ENDS
>
> Shame what has happened to your water after you left the EU.

Perversion of the facts.

> The dirty man of Europe again - just like before you joined in the early '70's
> Well done, Brextards.

You’re conflating two different issues.

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1PPuF4WwAE6y13?format=jpg&name=medium
What was it like during 13 years of Labour government? Don’t be shy…

--
Spike

Re: Rollout of bike hangars continues with another 110 on the way

<6c6bc697-8ae0-4a01-b9bb-da8f6a86295dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31344&group=uk.rec.cycling#31344

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 08:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:30 UTC

“Done properly, Brexit is a massive opportunity for our environment… the upside is enormous,” said the leader of “green Brexit,” Zac Goldsmith, shortly after the 2016 referendum, when he was conspiring with fellow-Etonian Boris Johnson to thwart Theresa May’s proposed Brexit deal because it didn’t divorce Britain from its continent sufficiently to fulfil his potentate father Sir James Goldsmith’s vision of “UK Independence.”

So how ironic that Goldsmith’s green credibility was demolished in the House of Lords this week by the greatest potentate of all: the Duke of Wellington, descendant of the Iron Duke, who left the Tory benches in the House of Lords shortly before Goldsmith joined them on this same cause of Brexit. A former MEP of pragmatic disposition, the Duke simply couldn’t stomach the Tory Brexit ideologues, not least because environmental protection was bound to fare less well once we stopped working on it in a common framework with the European Union. That’s even before COP26.

The Duke destroyed Baron Goldsmith of Richmond Park—a Boris peerage enabling Zac to serve as environment minister after losing his seat in the Commons at the last election—on the issue of the dumping of raw sewage into England’s rivers and coastal beaches. Which is about as green, or maybe brown, as it gets.

There are three Brexit dimensions to what one Tory MP called “the challenge of ensuring that we do not treat the arteries of nature—our rivers—as the cesspit of humanity.”

First, Brexit is causing the treatment of sewage to regress from its already poor level. The Environment Agency, which lays down the rules on sewage treatment, has just issued emergency guidance exempting water companies and other undertakings from requirements to treat waste water where they can’t procure the necessary chemicals. Its new regulations on “water and sewerage company effluent discharges: supply side failures” begin: “You may not be able to comply with your permit if you cannot get the chemicals you use to treat the effluent you discharge because of the UK’s new relationship with the EU.”

So the “supply chain crisis” isn’t only closing petrol stations and emptying supermarket shelves. It is now leading to raw sewage being pumped into rivers and coastal waters where that didn’t happen before. An amateur film, which went viral this week after being shown on BBC Breakfast, shows brown untreated sewage surging out of a huge pipe into Langstone Harbour, Hampshire, for 49 hours continuously. The clip only showed a few seconds of it, heightening the revulsion of the other 48.99 hours imagined but unseen.

Then there is the Environment Agency itself, whose budget has been axed by two-thirds since 2010 as part of the cull of so-called “unnecessary quangos” which is part and parcel of the austerity which so largely created the Brexit decade.

Sir James Bevan, the agency’s chief executive, told a Commons committee this summer that he would like to get back to the position of 10 years ago in terms of staff and equipment. In particular, “I would like to do more surveillance of water companies.”

Bevan made the astonishing admission that the Environment Agency now has sufficient resources to inspect barely half of the 15,000 known sewer overflows which discharge raw sewage into rivers after heavy rainfall. He said that these overflows “are spilling more frequently and spilling larger volumes—that is likely to be because there is more development, more people and more sewage and because of climate change causing violent weather, more rain and heavier rain.”

The operative word there is “likely.” Because it is broken-backed by austerity and government neglect, the agency isn’t actually sure what is happening. And because its inspections and oversight are now so lax, water companies are flouting the inadequate existing rules all the time. They take the view that occasional fines are far preferable to making the investments needed in water treatment plants required to limit their sewage discharges—even if, post-Brexit, they could procure the chemicals to service them.

Over and above all this is the regulatory regime itself, which in tackling the cleanliness of rivers and beaches has been driven by the EU over the last 30 years in the face of constant foot-dragging by British governments too influenced by the lobbying of dirty industry and the privatised water companies.

Nothing could illustrate this better than what actually happened this week, when 265 Tory MPs backed Lord Goldsmith in resisting the Duke of Wellington’s simple proposal to place a legal duty on water companies not unreasonably to dump raw sewage into waterways. Instead, green Brexiter Goldsmith wriggled around, arguing for new reports, targets, strategic plans, consultations—anything but the duke’s legal duty on water companies to act now to reduce the massive health and environmental damage they are causing.

My conclusion? “Done properly, re-entering the European Union is a massive opportunity for our environment, the upside is enormous.” And I nominate the Duke of Wellington to be Britain’s first European Commissioner of our second membership—for the environment.