From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Hackney: Shed destroyed in e-bike battery fire
Date: 18 Jul 2023 13:24:06 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:24 UTC

Hackney: Shed destroyed in e-bike battery fire
Published

1 day ago

Smoke from the shed fire set off the building's smoke alarms, leading to an
evacuation

By Jess Warren
BBC News

A shed was destroyed during an e-bike battery fire in north London during
the early hours of Monday morning.

Three fire engines and 15 firefighters were called to a ground floor flat
on Halcomb Street, Hackney just after 00:00 BST.

About 20 people were evacuated from the flats after smoke from the shed
activated the building's alarms.
Investigators believe that the fire was caused by a failure of an e-bike's
lithium battery, which was on charge.

It was brought under control by 00:31 BST and no injuries were reported,
the London Fire Brigade said.
Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety, Charlie Pugsley urged people to buy
e-bike chargers from reputable sellers.

"We have particular concerns where batteries have been purchased from
online marketplaces and when they've been sourced on the internet, which
may not meet the correct safety standards," he said.

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66221040>

--
Spike

Re: Hackney: Shed destroyed in e-bike battery fire

<khni9pFh0l3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31355&group=uk.rec.cycling#31355

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Hackney: Shed destroyed in e-bike battery fire
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:27:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:27 UTC

On 18/07/2023 02:24 pm, Spike wrote:

> Hackney: Shed destroyed in e-bike battery fire
> Published
>
> 1 day ago
>
> Smoke from the shed fire set off the building's smoke alarms, leading to an
> evacuation
>
> By Jess Warren
> BBC News
>
> A shed was destroyed during an e-bike battery fire in north London during
> the early hours of Monday morning.
>
> Three fire engines and 15 firefighters were called to a ground floor flat
> on Halcomb Street, Hackney just after 00:00 BST.
>
> About 20 people were evacuated from the flats after smoke from the shed
> activated the building's alarms.
> Investigators believe that the fire was caused by a failure of an e-bike's
> lithium battery, which was on charge.
>
> It was brought under control by 00:31 BST and no injuries were reported,
> the London Fire Brigade said.
> Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety, Charlie Pugsley urged people to buy
> e-bike chargers from reputable sellers.
>
> "We have particular concerns where batteries have been purchased from
> online marketplaces and when they've been sourced on the internet, which
> may not meet the correct safety standards," he said.
>
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66221040>

A shed or an oversized dustbin?

Re: Hackney: Shed destroyed in e-bike battery fire

<khnipnFh33iU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31358&group=uk.rec.cycling#31358

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 18 Jul 2023 13:35:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 13:35 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 18/07/2023 02:24 pm, Spike wrote:
>>
>> Hackney: Shed destroyed in e-bike battery fire
>> Published
>>
>> 1 day ago
>>
>> Smoke from the shed fire set off the building's smoke alarms, leading to an
>> evacuation
>>
>> By Jess Warren
>> BBC News
>>
>> A shed was destroyed during an e-bike battery fire in north London during
>> the early hours of Monday morning.
>>
>> Three fire engines and 15 firefighters were called to a ground floor flat
>> on Halcomb Street, Hackney just after 00:00 BST.
>>
>> About 20 people were evacuated from the flats after smoke from the shed
>> activated the building's alarms.
>> Investigators believe that the fire was caused by a failure of an e-bike's
>> lithium battery, which was on charge.
>>
>> It was brought under control by 00:31 BST and no injuries were reported,
>> the London Fire Brigade said.
>> Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety, Charlie Pugsley urged people to buy
>> e-bike chargers from reputable sellers.
>>
>> "We have particular concerns where batteries have been purchased from
>> online marketplaces and when they've been sourced on the internet, which
>> may not meet the correct safety standards," he said.
>>
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66221040>

> A shed or an oversized dustbin?

I’ll go for the latter. Bit of a mess, isn’t it!

--
Spike