Fuch's Warning: If you actually look like your passport photo, you aren't well enough to travel.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

SubjectAuthor
* Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outsideswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards onSpike
+* Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavementswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards onSpike
+* Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavementswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards onSpike
+* Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavementswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards onSpike
`- Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavementswldx...@gmail.com

1
Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<a9b9310b-94c9-43f7-b682-7bb7ed0a2d3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31371&group=uk.rec.cycling#31371

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 09:51:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside
her home
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:51 UTC

It's not your footway, luv.

A furious homeowner says she has been left unable to use her own driveway after the council erected two bollards directly outside her home.

The resident says the barriers, which have been put up outside a house in Darlington, County Durham, to stop people driving over a school crossing, have 'blocked' her drive.

The homeowner, who wishes to remain anonymous, says she feels she has been 'discriminated' against and now has to park on a neighbouring street.

The homeowner, from Darlington, said they only installed the drive in March
The council says it would have warned her against this if she had told them first

A furious homeowner says she has been left unable to use her own driveway after the council erected two bollards directly outside her home.

The resident says the barriers, which have been put up outside a house in Darlington, County Durham, to stop people driving over a school crossing, have 'blocked' her drive.

The homeowner, who wishes to remain anonymous, says she feels she has been 'discriminated' against and now has to park on a neighbouring street.

She has urged the council, which installed a section of tactile pavement outside her home in 2018 to increase the safety of parents and primary school children.

However, the woman - who installed the driveway in March - is now pleading with the council to remove the bollards and relocate the crossing - although the local authority says if she had come to it first, it would have warned her against building it in the first place.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12311265/Homeowners-fury-council-erects-two-bollards-pavement-outside-home-blocked-access-driveway.html

Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<kho0d0Fj5odU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31377&group=uk.rec.cycling#31377

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on
pavement outside her home
Date: 18 Jul 2023 17:28:00 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:28 UTC

Beware! Article contains déja vu…

--
Spike

Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<7de3bd02-b8eb-44d5-9662-a0d7345b31a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31381&group=uk.rec.cycling#31381

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement
outside her home
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:31 UTC

QUOTE: A Darlington Borough Council spokesperson added: 'There must be a properly constructed vehicle crossing if residents want to park on a driveway.

'The location must be inspected by the Highways Authority to ensure it is safe. We always try to accommodate requests but there are occasions when we have to refuse, for example, if it's close to a junction or crossing.

'On this occasion the resident did not contact the Highway Authority before building their block paving.

'If they had, they would have been advised that a vehicle crossing would not be allowed due to the existing crossing, which is also a school crossing patrol location and has been for many years.

'We have been in discussions with the resident for several months and have explored the possibility of moving the crossing point but this has not been possible due to on street parking, bus stops and nearby road junctions.

'The resident told us they would be extending their fence to close the gap but this has not happened so reluctantly we have had to install bollards to prevent cars driving over the footpath.

'It is regretful that we were unable to help this resident but we have a duty of care to keep everyone safe.' ENDS

SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP.

Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<kho4kbFjqpbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31385&group=uk.rec.cycling#31385

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
pavement outside her home
Date: 18 Jul 2023 18:40:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:40 UTC

> QUOTE: A Darlington Borough Council spokesperson added: 'There must be a
> properly constructed vehicle crossing if residents want to park on a driveway.
>
> 'The location must be inspected by the Highways Authority to ensure it is
> safe. We always try to accommodate requests but there are occasions when
> we have to refuse, for example, if it's close to a junction or crossing.
>
> 'On this occasion the resident did not contact the Highway Authority
> before building their block paving.
>
> 'If they had, they would have been advised that a vehicle crossing would
> not be allowed due to the existing crossing, which is also a school
> crossing patrol location and has been for many years.
>
> 'We have been in discussions with the resident for several months and
> have explored the possibility of moving the crossing point but this has
> not been possible due to on street parking, bus stops and nearby road junctions.
>
> 'The resident told us they would be extending their fence to close the
> gap but this has not happened so reluctantly we have had to install
> bollards to prevent cars driving over the footpath.
>
> 'It is regretful that we were unable to help this resident but we have a
> duty of care to keep everyone safe.' ENDS
>
> SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP.

Spiteful little man, aren’t you.

--
Spike

Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<5e86c323-7458-4384-a414-85756866bda8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31387&group=uk.rec.cycling#31387

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 12:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
outside her home
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:03 UTC

QUOTE: A highways inspector drove past, stopped, and told my husband he was legally not allowed to park there.

'We did have grass and a footpath but the tree roots completely uplifted it, so we installed the paved driveway.

'We were totally naive and just assumed as it was a dropped kerb we would be able to use it.'

A letter from the council followed in May which stated bollards would be installed if the path was damaged to stop vehicles driving over it.

The woman added: 'This was just a warning sign, we haven't used it since, yet they still came and installed the bollards.'

In response, the council says it wasn't alerted that the driveway would be paved and would have warned the residents it could not be accessed due to the nearby crossing.

The couple's car is now parked on a neighbouring street and hasn't been used since March. ENDS

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM THEN, LUV?

Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<khobnkFku63U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31388&group=uk.rec.cycling#31388

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
pavement outside her home
Date: 18 Jul 2023 20:41:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 20:41 UTC

> QUOTE: A highways inspector drove past, stopped, and told my husband he
> was legally not allowed to park there.
>
> 'We did have grass and a footpath but the tree roots completely uplifted
> it, so we installed the paved driveway.
>
> 'We were totally naive and just assumed as it was a dropped kerb we would
> be able to use it.'
>
> A letter from the council followed in May which stated bollards would be
> installed if the path was damaged to stop vehicles driving over it.
>
> The woman added: 'This was just a warning sign, we haven't used it since,
> yet they still came and installed the bollards.'
>
> In response, the council says it wasn't alerted that the driveway would
> be paved and would have warned the residents it could not be accessed due
> to the nearby crossing.
>
> The couple's car is now parked on a neighbouring street and hasn't been
> used since March. ENDS

> WHAT'S THE PROBLEM THEN, LUV?

“…as it was a dropped kerb we would be able to use it”.

So what local authority approved the dropped kerb that was already there
when the lady had her block paving done?

Is there some arse-covering going on here?

--
Spike

Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<57df1c16-ca58-4842-89b5-f14d890b6527n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31390&group=uk.rec.cycling#31390

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 14:02:27 -0700 (PDT)
outside her home
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 21:02 UTC

QUOTE: During the school run, parked cars flank either side of the road with vehicles forced to squeeze through tight gaps while also staying aware of schoolchildren crossing.

There are no warning signs suggesting a school crossing is ahead but a lollipop lady is currently managing the traffic. ENDS

Why don't these selfish nutters just run her over?
It's what they are longing for.

Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<khpjnpFquetU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31392&group=uk.rec.cycling#31392

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
pavement outside her home
Date: 19 Jul 2023 08:04:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 08:04 UTC

> QUOTE: During the school run, parked cars flank either side of the road
> with vehicles forced to squeeze through tight gaps while also staying
> aware of schoolchildren crossing.
>
> There are no warning signs suggesting a school crossing is ahead but a
> lollipop lady is currently managing the traffic. ENDS
>
> Why don't these selfish nutters just run her over?
> It's what they are longing for.

Ah, so you are now deflecting attention away from the dropped kerb that was
already present when the lady had the block-paving stand for her car put
in.

Quite why the council erected bollards instead of replacing the dropped
kerb with a standard one, remains a mystery perhaps explained by
arse-covering somewhere in the council.

--
Spike

Re: Homeowner's fury as council erects two bollards on pavement outside her home

<0de7238c-274c-40b2-9434-a7755e2aeaaen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31396&group=uk.rec.cycling#31396

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 03:46:43 -0700 (PDT)
outside her home
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 10:46 UTC

A couple looked on in horror as council workmen erected two bollards blocking them from entering their own driveway.

Amanda and Neil Cousins, both, 51, had spent thousands renovating their dilapidated front garden with block paving and erected a fence around it.

But a council highways inspector drove past and saw Mr Cousins' car parked on the new drive, setting in motion a wrangle which has ended with the couple being unable to use the newly paved area.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/07/18/22/73358581-12312603-Amanda_Cousins_says_she_became_blocked_from_her_using_her_own_dr-m-46_1689714928048.jpg