The reward for working hard is more hard work.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

SubjectAuthor
* Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredMartin Brown
+* Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredJeff Layman
|`* Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredMartin Brown
| `- Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredJeff Layman
+- Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredThe Natural Philosopher
+* Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredNick Maclaren
|`- Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredMartin Brown
+- Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredPrimrose
`* Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredCharlie Pridham
 `* Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredMartin Brown
  `- Indestructible Indoor plant RequiredCharlie Pridham

1
Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<tcu0k1$95h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3131&group=uk.rec.gardening#3131

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Indestructible Indoor plant Required
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:05:20 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:05 UTC

I have a tricky problem. I need to select a plant that a gardening
novice can grow in a very hot sunny south facing conservatory that gets
insanely hot in summer and can have air frosts in winter.

They have already killed a citrus tree in that position by basically
having its leaves cooked in the recent hot spell (not by over watering).
Shame they hadn't put it outside for the summer but that is water under
the bridge now. They don't want another one.

The spec in as much is there is one is must be about 2' tall evergreen
with year round interest practically indestructible and capable of
surviving extremes of temperature, baking sunshine in mid summer and a
certain amount of neglect during holidays away (up to 2-3 weeks).

The best candidate that I can think of so far is a Sansevaria aka mother
in laws tongue which I would rate as almost indestructible. If I wrack
my brains I might be able to think of a few other waxy sun loving desert
succulents that are not too poisonous or tetchy for a beginner.

Any other suggestions for near indestructible evergreen mid size
conservatory plants? Flowers and/or fragrance would be a bonus.

Impossible to kill by under/over watering and too much sunshine is the
main requirement here. I can probably educate them not to water it in
winter since many more plants are cold hardy when dry at the roots.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<tcu61o$1etgl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3132&group=uk.rec.gardening#3132

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:37:59 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:37 UTC

On 09/08/2022 17:05, Martin Brown wrote:
> I have a tricky problem. I need to select a plant that a gardening
> novice can grow in a very hot sunny south facing conservatory that gets
> insanely hot in summer and can have air frosts in winter.
>
> They have already killed a citrus tree in that position by basically
> having its leaves cooked in the recent hot spell (not by over watering).
> Shame they hadn't put it outside for the summer but that is water under
> the bridge now. They don't want another one.
>
> The spec in as much is there is one is must be about 2' tall evergreen
> with year round interest practically indestructible and capable of
> surviving extremes of temperature, baking sunshine in mid summer and a
> certain amount of neglect during holidays away (up to 2-3 weeks).
>
> The best candidate that I can think of so far is a Sansevaria aka mother
> in laws tongue which I would rate as almost indestructible. If I wrack
> my brains I might be able to think of a few other waxy sun loving desert
> succulents that are not too poisonous or tetchy for a beginner.
>
> Any other suggestions for near indestructible evergreen mid size
> conservatory plants? Flowers and/or fragrance would be a bonus.
>
> Impossible to kill by under/over watering and too much sunshine is the
> main requirement here. I can probably educate them not to water it in
> winter since many more plants are cold hardy when dry at the roots.

Try Canadian Opuntia. They will take extremes of drought and heat, and
will survive well below zero if completely dry. They can also survive
under snow in winter (which protects them from highly subzero
temperatures). This is fairly long, but might be informative:
<http://merlin-trust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/564-Andrew-Gdaniec.pdf>

Other heat-resistant plants, such as some Australian ones, won't stand
being too wet in winter, and aren't usually frost-resistant to other
than a couple of degrees below zero, particularly if wet at the roots.

The only other things I can think of would be bulbs (corms, rhizomes,
etc) which come up at different times of the year and would die down
after flowering, not caring if they aren't watered.

--

Jeff

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<tcvnla$cro$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3133&group=uk.rec.gardening#3133

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 08:44:41 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 07:44 UTC

On 09/08/2022 18:37, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 09/08/2022 17:05, Martin Brown wrote:

[snip]
>> Any other suggestions for near indestructible evergreen mid size
>> conservatory plants? Flowers and/or fragrance would be a bonus.
>>
>> Impossible to kill by under/over watering and too much sunshine is the
>> main requirement here. I can probably educate them not to water it in
>> winter since many more plants are cold hardy when dry at the roots.
>
> Try Canadian Opuntia. They will take extremes of drought and heat, and
> will survive well below zero if completely dry. They can also survive
> under snow in winter (which protects them from highly subzero
> temperatures). This is fairly long, but might be informative:
> <http://merlin-trust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/564-Andrew-Gdaniec.pdf>

I have a couple of forms of Opuntia that will grow outdoors in the same
area as where they live in the shelter of a wall and to flowering size.
They look a bit scraggy after a hard winter but survive well enough.

However, Opuntias are really quite nasty. The big spines are an obvious
threat but it is the finer orange brown glochids can cause a great deal
of irritation and even blindness if you are careless and rub your eyes.
I don't want to maim the recipient!

Same objection applies to various fairly indestructible succulent
euphorbias with extremely caustic sap. I have grown some really
dangerous ones in the past where eye protection is essential when
cutting them and keeping the alleged antidote plant Aeonium Lindleyii
handy is strongly advised. I have never had to test it...

> Other heat-resistant plants, such as some Australian ones, won't stand
> being too wet in winter, and aren't usually frost-resistant to other
> than a couple of degrees below zero, particularly if wet at the roots.

That seems to be a general rule. They need their sap to concentrate with
sugars in winter to act as an antifreeze or form a sugar glass syrup
rather than ice crystals which would destroy the cell walls.

> The only other things I can think of would be bulbs (corms, rhizomes,
> etc) which come up at different times of the year and would die down
> after flowering, not caring if they aren't watered.

Bulbs don't really hack it. They want something to go in place of the
former citrus tree and fitting in the same pot.

I have also considered Crassula arborescens/ovata but I think the
conditions might be just a bit too fierce for them. I should add that
there is a slight advantage if the plant is stocked by the RHS since
they have a bunch of vouchers to spend there.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/4716/crassula-arborescens/details
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/4739/crassula-ovata/details

(ovata is probably a bit too tender)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<tcvp95$1ovna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3134&group=uk.rec.gardening#3134

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 09:12:21 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 08:12 UTC

On 10/08/2022 08:44, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 09/08/2022 18:37, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 09/08/2022 17:05, Martin Brown wrote:

>> Try Canadian Opuntia. They will take extremes of drought and heat, and
>> will survive well below zero if completely dry. They can also survive
>> under snow in winter (which protects them from highly subzero
>> temperatures). This is fairly long, but might be informative:
>> <http://merlin-trust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/564-Andrew-Gdaniec.pdf>
>
> I have a couple of forms of Opuntia that will grow outdoors in the same
> area as where they live in the shelter of a wall and to flowering size.
> They look a bit scraggy after a hard winter but survive well enough.
>
> However, Opuntias are really quite nasty. The big spines are an obvious
> threat but it is the finer orange brown glochids can cause a great deal
> of irritation and even blindness if you are careless and rub your eyes.
> I don't want to maim the recipient!

Ah - you didn't mention carelessness in your OP! But although I agree
they can be a nuisance, if you don't touch there's no problem. You could
train them to not touch with an Opuntia tunicata. I'll never forget the
first time I got entangled with mine; it's something I carefully avoided
again (NB the spines penetrated leather gardening gloves with ease). :-)

> Same objection applies to various fairly indestructible succulent
> euphorbias with extremely caustic sap. I have grown some really
> dangerous ones in the past where eye protection is essential when
> cutting them and keeping the alleged antidote plant Aeonium Lindleyii
> handy is strongly advised. I have never had to test it...

As far as I am aware none of the succulent euphorbias will survive even
a minor frost unless they have been totally dry for several weeks
beforehand. Even then I wouldn't want to risk it.

> I have also considered Crassula arborescens/ovata but I think the
> conditions might be just a bit too fierce for them. I should add that
> there is a slight advantage if the plant is stocked by the RHS since
> they have a bunch of vouchers to spend there.
>
> https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/4716/crassula-arborescens/details
> https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/4739/crassula-ovata/details
>
> (ovata is probably a bit too tender)

C. arborescens just shrugs off even the sort of heat we are getting at
present. I've had one for years. It's about a metre tall and across and
lives in the conservatory without any shading. It regularly gets to 40°C
- and higher - when I forget to open the fanlights! I'd be more
concerned about cold. From your link the RHS lists it as H2, which I
think is reasonable. However, if it was kept dry in your friend's
conservatory from mid-September it should survive short periods of frost.

--

Jeff

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<tcvu2h$1ptun$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3135&group=uk.rec.gardening#3135

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:34:08 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 09:34 UTC

On 09/08/2022 17:05, Martin Brown wrote:

> The spec in as much is there is one is must be about 2' tall evergreen
> with year round interest practically indestructible and capable of
> surviving extremes of temperature, baking sunshine in mid summer and a
> certain amount of neglect during holidays away (up to 2-3 weeks).

A cactus.

--
“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<td00oj$1qd04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3136&group=uk.rec.gardening#3136

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:20:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:20 UTC

In article <tcu0k1$95h$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>I have a tricky problem. I need to select a plant that a gardening
>novice can grow in a very hot sunny south facing conservatory that gets
>insanely hot in summer and can have air frosts in winter.

I am surprised that people keep saying Opuntia, as most loathe being
waterlogged and get root-rot. I thought that the same was true of
Crassula, but have never grown it. For an alternative idea, try Acca
(Feijoa) or pomegranate, which are very tough. The latter will laugh
at the temperature ranges, but will drop its leaves if severely stressed
(it's conditionally deciduous).

Bluntly, unless you can educate the owner about watering, I don't see
much hope. There isn't much that can survive both waterlogging and
dessication.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<td0651$etq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3137&group=uk.rec.gardening#3137

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 12:52:00 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 11:52 UTC

On 10/08/2022 11:20, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <tcu0k1$95h$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have a tricky problem. I need to select a plant that a gardening
>> novice can grow in a very hot sunny south facing conservatory that gets
>> insanely hot in summer and can have air frosts in winter.
>
> I am surprised that people keep saying Opuntia, as most loathe being
> waterlogged and get root-rot. I thought that the same was true of

There are some that will survive and prosper in the UK outside on a
sandy soil and with very little protection - rain shadow of a wall is
enough. Many more will survive outside under plexiglass screens.

> Crassula, but have never grown it. For an alternative idea, try Acca
> (Feijoa) or pomegranate, which are very tough. The latter will laugh
> at the temperature ranges, but will drop its leaves if severely stressed
> (it's conditionally deciduous).

Hmm! Pomegranate is one I hadn't thought of that might just survive.
Nice glossy leaves too and RHS might even stock it.

> Bluntly, unless you can educate the owner about watering, I don't see
> much hope. There isn't much that can survive both waterlogging and
> dessication.

I know. That is why I am so stumped. I've even considered a plastic one
but I expect that would quickly fade in the harsh summer sunlight.

I can try educating the owner but I'm not overly optimistic.
On the plus side they are more likely to underwater than over water
(which I suspect was what did for the poor unfortunate lemon tree).

I honestly didn't think it was possible to kill a citrus tree.
(it may not have been dead but they threw it out before I got there)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<td2g5s$1dad$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3139&group=uk.rec.gardening#3139

From: me@privacy.net.co.uk (Primrose)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 09:55:23 +0100
 by: Primrose - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 08:55 UTC

On 09/08/2022 17:05, Martin Brown wrote:
> I have a tricky problem. I need to select a plant that a gardening
> novice can grow in a very hot sunny south facing conservatory that gets
> insanely hot in summer and can have air frosts in winter.
>
> They have already killed a citrus tree in that position by basically
> having its leaves cooked in the recent hot spell (not by over watering).
> Shame they hadn't put it outside for the summer but that is water under
> the bridge now. They don't want another one.
>
> The spec in as much is there is one is must be about 2' tall evergreen
> with year round interest practically indestructible and capable of
> surviving extremes of temperature, baking sunshine in mid summer and a
> certain amount of neglect during holidays away (up to 2-3 weeks).
>
> The best candidate that I can think of so far is a Sansevaria aka mother
> in laws tongue which I would rate as almost indestructible. If I wrack
> my brains I might be able to think of a few other waxy sun loving desert
> succulents that are not too poisonous or tetchy for a beginner.
>
> Any other suggestions for near indestructible evergreen mid size
> conservatory plants? Flowers and/or fragrance would be a bonus.
>
> Impossible to kill by under/over watering and too much sunshine is the
> main requirement here. I can probably educate them not to water it in
> winter since many more plants are cold hardy when dry at the roots.

I do sympathise with you, my sister is the worlds best house plant
killer. Whatever I bought her didn't last long.

Tongue in cheek I solved her problem by buying her one of these.

She adores her new plant and just loves brushing it with a good bristle
brush.:-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/off0kjh93mgthjg/yucca.jpg?dl=0

--
I'm a sew and sow.

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<td3coq$27ibp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3140&group=uk.rec.gardening#3140

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 18:03:22 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:03 UTC

On 09/08/2022 17:05, Martin Brown wrote:
> I have a tricky problem. I need to select a plant that a gardening
> novice can grow in a very hot sunny south facing conservatory that gets
> insanely hot in summer and can have air frosts in winter.
>
> They have already killed a citrus tree in that position by basically
> having its leaves cooked in the recent hot spell (not by over watering).
> Shame they hadn't put it outside for the summer but that is water under
> the bridge now. They don't want another one.
>
> The spec in as much is there is one is must be about 2' tall evergreen
> with year round interest practically indestructible and capable of
> surviving extremes of temperature, baking sunshine in mid summer and a
> certain amount of neglect during holidays away (up to 2-3 weeks).
>
> The best candidate that I can think of so far is a Sansevaria aka mother
> in laws tongue which I would rate as almost indestructible. If I wrack
> my brains I might be able to think of a few other waxy sun loving desert
> succulents that are not too poisonous or tetchy for a beginner.
>
> Any other suggestions for near indestructible evergreen mid size
> conservatory plants? Flowers and/or fragrance would be a bonus.
>
> Impossible to kill by under/over watering and too much sunshine is the
> main requirement here. I can probably educate them not to water it in
> winter since many more plants are cold hardy when dry at the roots.

Would it not be more sensible to plant something deciduous outside to
shade the conservatory in summer? its what we have and we can use our
conservatory all summer long (We use Wisteria but anything that is late
into leaf would do)

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<td4to1$90b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3141&group=uk.rec.gardening#3141

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 07:59:12 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 06:59 UTC

On 11/08/2022 18:03, Charlie Pridham wrote:
> On 09/08/2022 17:05, Martin Brown wrote:
>> I have a tricky problem. I need to select a plant that a gardening
>> novice can grow in a very hot sunny south facing conservatory that
>> gets insanely hot in summer and can have air frosts in winter.

>> Any other suggestions for near indestructible evergreen mid size
>> conservatory plants? Flowers and/or fragrance would be a bonus.
>>
>> Impossible to kill by under/over watering and too much sunshine is the
>> main requirement here. I can probably educate them not to water it in
>> winter since many more plants are cold hardy when dry at the roots.
>>

> Would it not be more sensible to plant something deciduous outside to
> shade the conservatory in summer? its what we have and we can use our
> conservatory all summer long (We use Wisteria but anything that is late
> into leaf would do)

I did think about that but it would involve a radical change to their
garden which as far as I can see is still unaltered replete with all the
lawn and industrial leylandii hedge that the developers installed 20
years ago.

I was thinking of perpetual sweet pea as the climber since it is almost
bullet proof and quite pretty in the summer. But without being tied in
it does tend to sprawl about a bit (as do many climbers).

Plenty of their neighbours gardens are the same. I can recognise the
plants used in the original planting scheme of the estate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Indestructible Indoor plant Required

<td5kl1$2gqc0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3142&group=uk.rec.gardening#3142

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 14:30:10 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 13:30 UTC

On 12/08/2022 07:59, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 11/08/2022 18:03, Charlie Pridham wrote:
>> On 09/08/2022 17:05, Martin Brown wrote:
>>> I have a tricky problem. I need to select a plant that a gardening
>>> novice can grow in a very hot sunny south facing conservatory that
>>> gets insanely hot in summer and can have air frosts in winter.
>
>>> Any other suggestions for near indestructible evergreen mid size
>>> conservatory plants? Flowers and/or fragrance would be a bonus.
>>>
>>> Impossible to kill by under/over watering and too much sunshine is
>>> the main requirement here. I can probably educate them not to water
>>> it in winter since many more plants are cold hardy when dry at the
>>> roots.
>>>

>> Would it not be more sensible to plant something deciduous outside to
>> shade the conservatory in summer? its what we have and we can use our
>> conservatory all summer long (We use Wisteria but anything that is
>> late into leaf would do)
>
> I did think about that but it would involve a radical change to their
> garden which as far as I can see is still unaltered replete with all the
> lawn and industrial leylandii hedge that the developers installed 20
> years ago.
>
> I was thinking of perpetual sweet pea as the climber since it is almost
> bullet proof and quite pretty in the summer. But without being tied in
> it does tend to sprawl about a bit (as do many climbers).
>
> Plenty of their neighbours gardens are the same. I can recognise the
> plants used in the original planting scheme of the estate.

What about just adding some slatted roller blinds on the outside, would
make it a much nicer space in hot weather.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall