Everything will be just tickety-boo today.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police

SubjectAuthor
* Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by policeswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by policeBrian
+* Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by policeswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by policeJNugent
`* Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by policeswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by policeSpike
 `- Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by policeswldx...@gmail.com

1
Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police

<ed5ee7e4-8051-42dc-b4e4-a44b97d0d594n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31486&group=uk.rec.cycling#31486

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 03:09:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 10:09 UTC

Prosecutors have dropped charges against a pensioner accused of going through a red light on his bicycle.

Court documents showed that Claudio Elgueta, 74, had been summoned to attend Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Friday following allegations he went through a red light and cycled on the pavement in Whitecross, Abingdon, on January 19.

He faced two charges. The first, which was brought under section 72 of the 1835 Highways Act, saw him accused of wilfully riding a pedal cycle on a footpath or causeway by the side of a road ‘set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers’.

The second charge was brought under the more recent 1988 Road Traffic Act and alleged he failed to comply with a red traffic light.

On Friday, Crown advocate Peter Ryman indicated the matter had been discontinued. Mr Elgueta, of Sutton Courtenay, was not at court for the hearing.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23672098.case-oxfordshire-cyclist-dropped-police/

Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police

<u9onmh$1511k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31587&group=uk.rec.cycling#31587

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:54:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OHu0qJcFwD4V5lycSlsZbefu/aw=
 by: Brian - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:54 UTC

> Prosecutors have dropped charges against a pensioner accused of going
> through a red light on his bicycle.
>
> Court documents showed that Claudio Elgueta, 74, had been summoned to
> attend Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Friday following allegations he went
> through a red light and cycled on the pavement in Whitecross, Abingdon, on January 19.
>
> He faced two charges. The first, which was brought under section 72 of
> the 1835 Highways Act, saw him accused of wilfully riding a pedal cycle
> on a footpath or causeway by the side of a road ‘set apart for the use or
> accommodation of foot passengers’.
>
> The second charge was brought under the more recent 1988 Road Traffic
> Act and alleged he failed to comply with a red traffic light.
>
> On Friday, Crown advocate Peter Ryman indicated the matter had been
> discontinued. Mr Elgueta, of Sutton Courtenay, was not at court for the hearing.
>
> https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23672098.case-oxfordshire-cyclist-dropped-police/

Meanwhile, also in Oxford, the annual Christmas Market enjoyed by thousands
has been cancelled due to danger to pedestrians from cyclists.

The Company which organises the annual event has, understandably, decided
the risk to pedestrians from cyclists is too great due the the Council
refusing to divert or suspect the cycle route through the planned area.

As we saw recently, when a cyclist riding on a pavement illegally lost
control of her bike while intimating an innocent pedestrian and fell under
a car leading to her death yet the innocent pedestrian was jailed, the
courts are blind to the activities of cyclists.

Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police

<5f83772b-e813-441d-b2de-3456c670be2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31591&group=uk.rec.cycling#31591

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:29:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:29 UTC

On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 11:10:00 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Prosecutors have dropped charges against a pensioner accused of going through a red light on his bicycle.
>
> Court documents showed that Claudio Elgueta, 74, had been summoned to attend Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Friday following allegations he went through a red light and cycled on the pavement in Whitecross, Abingdon, on January 19.
>
> He faced two charges. The first, which was brought under section 72 of the 1835 Highways Act, saw him accused of wilfully riding a pedal cycle on a footpath or causeway by the side of a road ‘set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers’.
>
> The second charge was brought under the more recent 1988 Road Traffic Act and alleged he failed to comply with a red traffic light.
>
> On Friday, Crown advocate Peter Ryman indicated the matter had been discontinued. Mr Elgueta, of Sutton Courtenay, was not at court for the hearing.
>
> https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23672098.case-oxfordshire-cyclist-dropped-police/

"Not in the public interest" as we say in the trade.

Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police

<kia8lcFguerU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31594&group=uk.rec.cycling#31594

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:39:24 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:39 UTC

[pretending not to answer other posters, said:]

> On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 11:10:00 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Prosecutors have dropped charges against a pensioner accused of going through a red light on his bicycle.
>> Court documents showed that Claudio Elgueta, 74, had been summoned to attend Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Friday following allegations he went through a red light and cycled on the pavement in Whitecross, Abingdon, on January 19.
>> He faced two charges. The first, which was brought under section 72 of the 1835 Highways Act, saw him accused of wilfully riding a pedal cycle on a footpath or causeway by the side of a road ‘set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers’.
>> The second charge was brought under the more recent 1988 Road Traffic Act and alleged he failed to comply with a red traffic light.
>> On Friday, Crown advocate Peter Ryman indicated the matter had been discontinued. Mr Elgueta, of Sutton Courtenay, was not at court for the hearing.
>> https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23672098.case-oxfordshire-cyclist-dropped-police/

> "Not in the public interest" as we say in the trade.

Of course not, M'Lud.

You *are* in the legal "trade" aren't you?

If "trade" is the right word.

Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police

<b837c6ff-59bf-456a-b51f-7a8a3c09b52cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31598&group=uk.rec.cycling#31598

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:49 UTC

QUOTE: On Friday, Crown advocate Peter Ryman indicated the matter had been discontinued. ENDS

What a waste of the cyclist's time and money!

Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police

<kiaas7Fha6bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31601&group=uk.rec.cycling#31601

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 25 Jul 2023 16:17:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:17 UTC

> QUOTE: On Friday, Crown advocate Peter Ryman indicated the matter had
> been discontinued. ENDS

> What a waste of the cyclist's time and money!

The moral for the cyclist being ‘don’t jump red lights; don’t cycle on the
pavement’. At least it cost him some money.

--
Spike

Re: Case against Oxfordshire cyclist dropped by police

<ead981e4-85a7-48e7-8604-ffe1f3a9c167n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31604&group=uk.rec.cycling#31604

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:33:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:33 UTC

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 4:49:55 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: On Friday, Crown advocate Peter Ryman indicated the matter had been discontinued. ENDS
>
> What a waste of the cyclist's time and money!

My mistake - he didn't even turn up.
Top man!