Life is the living you do, Death is the living you don't do. -- Joseph Pintauro

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes on Sydney Road

SubjectAuthor
* Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanesswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spacesSpike
+* Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spacesSpike
|`- Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spacesSpike

1
Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes on Sydney Road

<5e9319b9-94fe-4903-b40f-00315121baf0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31527&group=uk.rec.cycling#31527

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 05:28:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes
on Sydney Road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 12:28 UTC

A bold proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes along one of Melbourne's busiest roads and most popular shopping strips has divided the city.

Sydney Road is a bustling thoroughfare frequented by thousands of motorists and tram commuters every day.

However, with the ongoing Brunswick Level Crossing Removal Project initiated by the Daniel Andrews government, the train tracks that currently run parallel to Sydney Road will be moved above ground.

The construction work will lead to a temporary closure of the train tracks and adjacent bike paths.

Now cyclists are leading calls for car spaces along Sydney Road to be removed and replaced with bike paths to improve safety while the bike path is closed.

While some residents have welcomed the proposal, business owners fear the loss of car spaces will put livelihoods at stake following a tough few years during Covid which included 262 days in lockdown.

Function centre owner Tony Cogur fears parking limitations will impact businesses significantly.

'There used to be a buzz because you could walk around and there was something to see everywhere, but now there are so many shops up for lease,' he recently told the ABC.

'With no car parking – if that was to happen – then people won't be able to come here and businesses would continue shutting down.'

At least 58 crashes involving cyclists were recorded on Sydney Road between Bell Street and Brunswick Road in the five years to last December.

Paula Hanasz and her young family are among the many Brunswick residents who cycle everywhere.

'I do not feel safe having to go onto the roads that do not have a separated bike path,' she said.

'I think the cost of inaction on this is lives,'

Another woman added: 'I've had several near misses.'

The community is just as divided online.

'Don’t ruin my community by removing car parks for yet more bike tracks, ' one resident posted.

Another added: 'Bike riders have other options to get to work though don't they other than Sydney Road. Let cyclists pay for road construction then.'

Others pointed out the removal of car spaces for bike places has benefitted many places worldwide.

'Numerous studies and real life (see Paris, Amsterdam, Utrecht and even various cases related LX removal program) show that retail activity improved when car parks are removed and pedestrian and cycling infrastructure improves. Most cars travelling on Sydney Road aren’t stopping there to shop,' one resident posted.

Another added: 'There are 2200 off-street car parks accessed from side streets. Install protected bike lanes, do some footpath expansion, add some canopy trees to mitigate extreme temperatures in summer and filter the air. Make it more people friendly. It is time.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12329549/Melbourne-divided-proposal-replace-car-spaces-bike-lanes-Sydney-Road.html

Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes on Sydney Road

<ki7asuF2htbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31531&group=uk.rec.cycling#31531

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces
with bike lanes on Sydney Road
Date: 24 Jul 2023 12:59:10 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 12:59 UTC

> A bold proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes along one of
> Melbourne's busiest roads and most popular shopping strips has divided the city.
>
> Sydney Road is a bustling thoroughfare frequented by thousands of
> motorists and tram commuters every day.
>
> However, with the ongoing Brunswick Level Crossing Removal Project
> initiated by the Daniel Andrews government, the train tracks that
> currently run parallel to Sydney Road will be moved above ground.
>
> The construction work will lead to a temporary closure of the train
> tracks and adjacent bike paths.
>
> Now cyclists are leading calls for car spaces along Sydney Road to be
> removed and replaced with bike paths to improve safety while the bike path is closed.
>
> While some residents have welcomed the proposal, business owners fear the
> loss of car spaces will put livelihoods at stake following a tough few
> years during Covid which included 262 days in lockdown.
>
> Function centre owner Tony Cogur fears parking limitations will impact
> businesses significantly.
>
> 'There used to be a buzz because you could walk around and there was
> something to see everywhere, but now there are so many shops up for
> lease,' he recently told the ABC.
>
> 'With no car parking – if that was to happen – then people won't be able
> to come here and businesses would continue shutting down.'
>
> At least 58 crashes involving cyclists were recorded on Sydney Road
> between Bell Street and Brunswick Road in the five years to last December.
>
> Paula Hanasz and her young family are among the many Brunswick residents
> who cycle everywhere.
>
> 'I do not feel safe having to go onto the roads that do not have a
> separated bike path,' she said.
>
> 'I think the cost of inaction on this is lives,'
>
> Another woman added: 'I've had several near misses.'
>
> The community is just as divided online.

According to experts on the UK newsgroup for cyclists, those who are
concerned about their safety while cycling on the roads should take the
following precautions:

- don’t have lights on your bicycle

- wear dark clothing.

This is based on the said expert’s finding that in the UK, there were only
a handful of such deaths over the period 2015 to 2021.

--
Spike

Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes on Sydney Road

<329f61c7-f6ba-41ae-9904-8b1dcca66461n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31535&group=uk.rec.cycling#31535

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:07:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike
lanes on Sydney Road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:07 UTC

Harrison, Pom in, Australia, 13 hours ago

I'm not overall against cars and I say that as a driver myself, but walkability and pedestrianisation is so much better than car-dependancy especially in densely populated cities. It gives kids more freedom and independence, it's better for peoples health both physical and mental, it removes traffic from cities and decreases air pollution.

Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes on Sydney Road

<ki7j2uF3qldU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31539&group=uk.rec.cycling#31539

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
with bike lanes on Sydney Road
Date: 24 Jul 2023 15:18:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:18 UTC

> Harrison, Pom in, Australia, 13 hours ago
>
> I'm not overall against cars and I say that as a driver myself, but
> walkability and pedestrianisation is so much better than car-dependancy
> especially in densely populated cities. It gives kids more freedom and
> independence, it's better for peoples health both physical and mental, it
> removes traffic from cities and decreases air pollution.

The London ULEZ has been declared a resounding success, but without any
mention at all of how many lives have been saved of the 4000 a year that it
was touted die from asthma and other lung diseases.

--
Spike

Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes on Sydney Road

<609ed6e0-4ba8-4a33-932f-714fb942bbaan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31542&group=uk.rec.cycling#31542

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:27:21 -0700 (PDT)
lanes on Sydney Road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:27 UTC

QUOTE: Harrison, Pom in, Australia, 13 hours ago

people who don't like cyclists are just too fat, lazy and stupid. ENDS

AKA "BREXTARDS" IN THE UK.

Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes on Sydney Road

<ki7qkvF510iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31547&group=uk.rec.cycling#31547

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
with bike lanes on Sydney Road
Date: 24 Jul 2023 17:27:59 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:27 UTC

> QUOTE: Harrison, Pom in, Australia, 13 hours ago
>
> people who don't like cyclists are just too fat, lazy and stupid. ENDS
>
> AKA "BREXTARDS" IN THE UK.

And what of Biketards, hurtling back to the 1850s?

--
Spike

Re: Melbourne divided over proposal to replace car spaces with bike lanes on Sydney Road

<1cded526-60e0-43fc-923d-3ddf82851c30n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31548&group=uk.rec.cycling#31548

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 10:31:15 -0700 (PDT)
lanes on Sydney Road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:31 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 4:07:13 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Harrison, Pom in, Australia, 13 hours ago
>
> I'm not overall against cars and I say that as a driver myself, but walkability and pedestrianisation is so much better than car-dependancy especially in densely populated cities. It gives kids more freedom and independence, it's better for peoples health both physical and mental, it removes traffic from cities and decreases air pollution.

Agree. Inner West Sydney businesses are thriving despite lack of parking.

Foot traffic holds more value to businesses than simply driving past them, not finding parking and then writing them off.