bug, n: A son of a glitch.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Drivers and their problems

SubjectAuthor
* Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|||`* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||| `* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|||  +* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|||  |+- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
|||  |`* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|||  | `* Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
|||  |  `- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
|||  `- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
||+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|||+- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
|||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
||+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
||`* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|| `* Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
||  `- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
|+- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
| `* Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
|  `- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
||+- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
||+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
| `* Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
|  `- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
+- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
+- Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike
+* Re: Drivers and their problemsSimon Mason
|`- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
+- Re: Drivers and their problemsSimon Mason
+* Re: Drivers and their problemsSimon Mason
|`- Re: Drivers and their problemsSimon Mason
+* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Drivers and their problemsJNugent
`* Re: Drivers and their problemsswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Drivers and their problemsSpike

Pages:123
Drivers and their problems

<9109058c-2636-4f45-ac2c-e48dccf279f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31554&group=uk.rec.cycling#31554

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 14:03:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Drivers and their problems
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 21:03 UTC

A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes.

David9694 | 2740 posts | 1 week ago
2 likes

Anxieties swirl after latest accident on 'terrifying' Leighton Buzzard road where there have been 50 accidents in 5 years

“Local people are very concerned. I’ve travelled on this road daily for more than five years. It’s terrifying. Can someone please do something about this.”

response so far
It’s been acknowledged there have been about 50 personal injury accidents along this route from April 2016 to March 2022. Some of these incidents are because of common types of error, such as:

46 per cent or 23 of them involved failure to look properly;
24 per cent or 12 of these failure to judge another person’s speed or direction;
18 per cent or nine were caused by careless or reckless driving by someone in a hurry;
and 12 per cent or six were the result of a driver exceeding the speed limit.

EDIT - just added this up and realised its a full house. Drivers and their problems. WDIW?

https://road.cc/content/forum/drivers-and-their-problems-296315

Re: Drivers and their problems

<ki8a5hF7d27U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31556&group=uk.rec.cycling#31556

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drivers and their problems
Date: 24 Jul 2023 21:52:49 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 21:52 UTC

> A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that
> don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes.
>
> David9694 | 2740 posts | 1 week ago
> 2 likes
>
> Anxieties swirl after latest accident on 'terrifying' Leighton Buzzard
> road where there have been 50 accidents in 5 years

To borrow the cyclist’s favourite trope in these situations: “It’s only a
handful, why bother doing anything?”.

--
Spike

Re: Drivers and their problems

<8ce8b16c-f4bd-490d-80e5-a0f49413ec38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31570&group=uk.rec.cycling#31570

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 01:12:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:12 UTC

David9694 | 2743 posts | 1 week ago
0 likes

Van with rolls of carpet sticking out stopped by police in Luton

Locals have already bagged the available puns on this story...or have they?.

https://www.bedfordshirelive.co.uk/news/bedfordshire-news/van-rolls-carpet-sticking-out-8603546

https://i2-prod.bedfordshirelive.co.uk/incoming/article8603550.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_police-lay-down-1034742.jpg

Re: Drivers and their problems

<f92abbc7-a9bd-4788-87ac-82ec8c16829an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31599&group=uk.rec.cycling#31599

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:54:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:54 UTC

A woman who moved traffic cones to cross over a major Essex A-road to avoid traffic queues has been fined. Footage of the woman went viral in April this year when she was queuing in traffic due to a crash and decided to move two rows of traffic cones on a central area of the A12 to try and avoid the queues.

In the footage, the woman attempts to drive into the parallel lane before being spoken to by National Highways contractor Andrew Craig. Mr Craig has now described what happened as part of a National Highways campaign to educate road users about the dangers of not following instructions around roadworks.

He said: “There had been a collision further up the A12 – which was the reason for the congestion. I was driving towards the incident to help when I came across the lady moving cones and trying to get her car in a more free-flowing lane. Stopping my vehicle to deal with it delayed me getting to the collision and helping those affected. It also put me in an incredibly dangerous situation, which was completely avoidable.

“You can see from the footage how busy that section of road was, and the actions of the lady was understandably drawing the attention of other motorists who were driving yards away from where we were both stood. Just one distracted driver could have easily led to a fatal accident."

Following the incident, a 66-year-old woman from south London was issued with a conditional caution. She was also fined £100, with the money going to a road worker safety charity. Moving cones and driving through a marked-off area is an offence and a breach of the Highway Code.

Karl Brooks – National Highways’ Programme Delivery Manager in the East Region - said: “We understand that nobody likes being stuck in a car and queueing through roadworks, so we plan very carefully and, where possible, carry out work overnight and at weekends when roads are at their quietest. Unfortunately, that’s not always possible and traffic management measures like cones and signs are there for the safety of the public and those working to improve the road network.

“We do everything we can to highlight roadworks – and alongside our contractors – we train those working on the road network to recognise potentially dangerous situations and take every precaution they can to minimise that risk.

"We are now urging drivers to do the same; if you’re driving through a section of roadworks please take extra care, follow the signs, and think about the people working there to make the road you’re travelling on better. Safety is an absolute priority for National Highways; we want everyone to get home safe and well, and that goes for our workers too.”

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/woman-who-moved-traffic-cones-8599343

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kiaas6Fha6bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31600&group=uk.rec.cycling#31600

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 25 Jul 2023 16:17:10 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:17 UTC

Cyclists can, of course, just weave between the cones. Just as illegal, of
course.

<9f1d2976-03c0-4dfa-98af-097bf6d97760n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31603&group=uk.rec.cycling#31603

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:32:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:32 UTC

David9694 | 2746 posts | 1 week ago
2 likes
Driver caught speeding at 100mph in Wiltshire claims electric car was 'running out of charge'

A Specialist Operations unit at Wiltshire Police tweeted a picture of a device recording 101mph.

The caption said "the driver of the electric vehicle stated they were in a rush to plug in for more charge they didn’t understand the faster you go the more juice the car uses!"

The force said: "A trip to court awaits where hopefully more common sense prevails. #Fatal5".

Re: Drivers and their problems

<7b8f313c-92c7-46f2-98c7-07cbb54f0a8cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31606&group=uk.rec.cycling#31606

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:38:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 16:38 UTC

A spokesperson from Lancashire Police said: ‘As a responder, when you hear ‘car trapped under a lorry’, you prepare yourself for the worst.

‘This lorry was parked up in Rawtenstall with the driver soundly asleep in his cab when the Mercedes collided with the rear of it, becoming trapped underneath the tail mounted forklift.

‘Incredibly, the Mercedes driver suffered relatively minor injuries despite travelling at around 60mph (in a 40mph limit) when the collision occurred. He also passed all impairment tests.

‘The Mercedes driver has been reported to court for driving without due care and attention, driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance.’

All of the comments about it are saying how lucky the driver was etc etc. Nothing about how f-ing stupid he was driving that fast and clearly not paying attention - on the whole, parked lorries are not difficult to spot...

Re: Drivers and their problems

<9a95f804-7bd7-49b5-a395-38101b3497a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31607&group=uk.rec.cycling#31607

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:04:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 18:04 UTC

irsute | 7815 posts | 1 week ago
7 likes
'We can't use new drive because council put bollards in front of it - we're trapped'

TRAPPED I TELL YOU !

Then you read that they use a pedestrian crossing to go over the pavement to the house, failed to ask permission for anything and thought driving over a ped crossing was normal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1Um65rX0AAfuyI?format=jpg&name=small

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kiam2oFj36cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31608&group=uk.rec.cycling#31608

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 25 Jul 2023 19:28:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 19:28 UTC

> David9694 | 2746 posts | 1 week ago
> 2 likes
>
> Driver caught speeding at 100mph in Wiltshire claims electric car was
> 'running out of charge'
>
> A Specialist Operations unit at Wiltshire Police tweeted a picture of a
> device recording 101mph.
>
> The caption said "the driver of the electric vehicle stated they were in
> a rush to plug in for more charge they didn’t understand the faster you
> go the more juice the car uses!"
>
> The force said: "A trip to court awaits where hopefully more common sense
> prevails. #Fatal5".

EVs have a lot to answer for.

--
Spike

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kiam2oFj36cU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31609&group=uk.rec.cycling#31609

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 25 Jul 2023 19:28:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 19:28 UTC

Warning!

The report quoted below is essentially an advertisement for the strong
build of a certain make of German car.

> A spokesperson from Lancashire Police said: ‘As a responder, when you
> hear ‘car trapped under a lorry’, you prepare yourself for the worst.
>
> ‘This lorry was parked up in Rawtenstall with the driver soundly
> asleep in his cab when the Mercedes collided with the rear of it,
> becoming trapped underneath the tail mounted forklift.
>
> ‘Incredibly, the Mercedes driver suffered relatively minor injuries
> despite travelling at around 60mph (in a 40mph limit) when the collision
> occurred. He also passed all impairment tests.
>
> ‘The Mercedes driver has been reported to court for driving without
> due care and attention, driving otherwise than in accordance with a
> licence and driving without insurance.’
>
> All of the comments about it are saying how lucky the driver was etc etc.
> Nothing about how f-ing stupid he was driving that fast and clearly not
> paying attention - on the whole, parked lorries are not difficult to spot...

--
Spike

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kiam2pFj36cU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31610&group=uk.rec.cycling#31610

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 25 Jul 2023 19:28:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 19:28 UTC

> irsute | 7815 posts | 1 week ago
> 7 likes
>
> 'We can't use new drive because council put bollards in front of it - we're trapped'
>
> TRAPPED I TELL YOU !
>
> Then you read that they use a pedestrian crossing to go over the pavement
> to the house, failed to ask permission for anything and thought driving
> over a ped crossing was normal.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1Um65rX0AAfuyI?format=jpg&name=small

Arse covering by the Local Authority.

Where’s the pedestrian crossing, then?

And why was a dropped kerb there (not shown in the photo)?

--
Spike

Re: Drivers and their problems

<e2b40624-870d-48f6-84cd-f21fd1ba8edan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31612&group=uk.rec.cycling#31612

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:34:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 19:34 UTC

David9694 | 2746 posts | 1 day ago
3 likes

More signs needed in Nottingham to stop drivers blocking tram route as car dealership approved.

one more sign will fix it.

:-)

https://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/IMG_4800.jpeg

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kiaq5sFjmsiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31616&group=uk.rec.cycling#31616

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 25 Jul 2023 20:38:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:38 UTC

> David9694 | 2746 posts | 1 day ago
> 3 likes
>
> More signs needed in Nottingham to stop drivers blocking tram route as
> car dealership approved.

> one more sign will fix it.

> :-)

> https://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/IMG_4800.jpeg

One more sign will fix it.

<https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/245-cyclists-caught-riding-on-expressways-from-jan-to-sept-as-more-pick-up-cycling-as>

--
Spike

Re: Drivers and their problems

<297b9197-5dd8-4287-b2e1-28220cf1d717n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31618&group=uk.rec.cycling#31618

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:05:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 21:05 UTC

HoldingOn wrote:

Ignoring the (assumed) drivist responses, as I've sat here thinking about this - I actually think it is about time.

I have been noticing pedestrian crossings changing to amber while (generally older) people are still trying to cross. I can imagine some drivers will start to drive through because "its amber and that means go"

I see it most days: drivers waiting until people are not directly in front of their car on a zebra crossing then pulling away; drivers doing the same on pelican crossings, as long as the light is amber...

Re: Drivers and their problems

<f2db990d-62df-448f-a197-520ebe1fdb60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31619&group=uk.rec.cycling#31619

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 21:12 UTC

David9694 replied to OnYerBike | 2746 posts | 6 days ago
2 likes
And I see another food delivery rider has been convicted of running a red light and giving a ped a broken foot, so we'll be hearing about that for the next 3 years.

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kic3cvFptv4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31621&group=uk.rec.cycling#31621

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 26 Jul 2023 08:21:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 08:21 UTC

> David9694 replied to OnYerBike | 2746 posts | 6 days ago
> 2 likes
>
> And I see another food delivery rider has been convicted of running a red
> light and giving a ped a broken foot, so we'll be hearing about that for the next 3 years.

But what was the FINE?

--
Spike

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kic3cvFptv4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31622&group=uk.rec.cycling#31622

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 26 Jul 2023 08:21:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 08:21 UTC

> HoldingOn wrote:
>
> Ignoring the (assumed) drivist responses, as I've sat here thinking
> about this - I actually think it is about time.
>
> I have been noticing pedestrian crossings changing to amber while
> (generally older) people are still trying to cross. I can imagine some
> drivers will start to drive through because "its amber and that means go"
>
> I see it most days: drivers waiting until people are not directly in
> front of their car on a zebra crossing then pulling away; drivers doing
> the same on pelican crossings, as long as the light is amber...

Whatever you do, don’t monitor people crossing the road at traffic lights
on red….A recent survey by road.cc showed 50% of cyclists blatantly
ignoring the red.

--
Spike

Re: Drivers and their problems

<22761680-4b1a-4305-9ea5-fa6ab2507a61n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31623&group=uk.rec.cycling#31623

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 01:46:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 08:46 UTC

Southampton: Car hits barriers after switching lanes

Another driverless car crashing. The only driver mentioned was one who was trying to take photos of the crash.

A car ploughed into road barriers after switching lanes at the last minute..

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/17020849.jpg?type=mds-article-962

Officers were called to the scene earlier today and discovered the car mounted on top of the barriers.

The car was travelling towards the M27 when it attempted to cross into another lane, heading to the M271.

In an online post, officers said: “If you're in the wrong lane, do not just move over at the last minute.

“Carry on to the next available safe location to turn around and continue with your journey.

“Accidents like this in Southampton can be avoided.”

The post went on to say that a 'keen driver' decided to almost bring traffic to a stop to photograph the crash scene.

They added: "She failed to see the police officer stood in front of her whilst taking a picture, and our marked police car."

Re: Drivers and their problems

<426f0ec4-a2b6-412e-88f8-e201bad2bc6dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31624&group=uk.rec.cycling#31624

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 01:55:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 08:55 UTC

Fuming drivers call for new speed cameras to be taken down after thousands are caught

One driver was caught travelling at 73mph on a 30mph road but some have called for the cameras to be removed.

Four new bi-directional speed cameras in Devon and Cornwall have received mixed reviews after they caught more than 3,000 speeding drivers in the first few days of being operational. Unlike conventional speed cameras, bi-directional speed cameras are able to monitor both directions of traffic.

The four cameras – which have been operational for between seven and 15 days - have detected a whopping 3,280 speeding offences in that time. One of the cameras - in Exmouth - has been activated about 120 times per day in the first two weeks, while another detected a driver travelling at 73mph on a 30mph road.

In Devon, the new digital cameras replaced older Gatso models on Exeter Road in Exmouth and the A385 Ashburton Road in Totnes. These cameras were funded by the Vision Zero South West Road Safety Partnership. In Cornwall, two sets of bi-directional cameras have been erected on the A390 at Drakewalls and St Ann’s Chapel near Gunnislake. These cameras were funded by Cornwall Council.

The A376 Exeter Road cameras have been activated 1,671 times since 14/6/23, with the highest speed recorded at 61mph
On Ashburton Road, the cameras have been activated 865 times since 16/6/23, with the highest speed recorded at 56mph
The cameras at St Annes Chapel has seen 599 activations since 14/6/23, with the highest recorded speed at 73mph
At Drakewalls, the cameras have been activated 145 times since 22/6/23, with the highest speed recorded at 47mph

But despite their early success rate some members of the public have criticised the cameras with some calling for them to be taken down. Commenting on Facebook, Clive Sherriff said: "Nothing to do with naughty motorists. It's simply a funds raiser!"

Scott Rennie said: "Just more and more money-making machines." Debbie Summers demanded: "Take it down."

David Dale claimed the new speed cameras would lead to "everyone in the country" having a speeding conviction.

He said: "120 a day won't be long and everyone in the country will have a speeding conviction or end up driving at 25mph just to make sure they don't, causing tailbacks and even more exasperated drivers who will speed up the moment they pass them."

And Dmitri Kuznetznov said: "All I see is more infrastructure being used to bleed the money out of the public. Britain's obsession with cameras is very cringe."

Not everyone was of the same opinion and some called out the dangerous drivers. "If you don't like the speed cameras please raise your right foot," pointed out David Smith.

Caspar Hughes said: "Good work! These dangerous drivers need to be dealt with and taken off the road for all our safety."

Keith Oakes demanded the offenders have their cars taken away from them, saying: "Fine them and take the car off them for three months and make them sit another driving test that should slow them down if not ban them from driving for a year caught again scrap the car."

Raymond Taylor said: "Good work. I call speeding fines an idiot tax. It's easy money to help the economy. If you can't limit your vehicle to adhere to speed limits, especially in modern vehicles, you're an idiot and deserve to get an idiot tax. Good work Devon and Cornwall Police."

Graham Mullis commented: "So many signs there and the cameras are so noticeable. Some people are so stupid." And Steve Thomas said: "Stop speeding and you won't get fined and then you can stop moaning about it being a revenue maker."

Re: Drivers and their problems

<588c91e0-6d1c-4389-97f3-dc35baff25e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31632&group=uk.rec.cycling#31632

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 06:30:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:30 UTC

Musician Noel Gallagher must pay more than £1,000 for failing to tell police who was driving his Range Rover.

The 56-year-old former Oasis star, who cannot drive, was also handed six penalty points.

He refused to give information relating to the identification of a driver when required by magistrates earlier this week.

Gallagher's Range Rover was recorded speeding at 41mph on a 30mph stretch of the A40 in west London in October.

The guitarist and songwriter's case was dealt with at Willesden Magistrates' Court on Wednesday. Under the Single Justice Procedure, Gallagher was not required to be present.

He was fined £742 and told to pay a £296 victim surcharge plus £100 costs, a court official confirmed.

His manager declined to comment.

Re: Drivers and their problems

<c74e0cc1-4d5a-48dc-9ef6-749a4494d2f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31633&group=uk.rec.cycling#31633

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 06:32:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:32 UTC

A motorist has given a whole new meaning to the phrase on the rocks as shocked bystanders watched a car mount boulders at a popular beach in Cornwall. The Jaguar XF Estate got in a sticky situation at popular Widemouth Bay.

It happened on Thursday (June 1) just days after a BMW washed out to sea on Trevaunance Beach in St Agnes. A witness said fire crews and members of the coastguard attended the scene near Bude to ensure the vehicle wasn't posing a threat to the public. The vehicle was then covered in tape and a bollard was put out while the vehicle awaited recovery.

It's not known how the vehicle came to be on the rocks - which surround the car park - but pictures show significant damage. It appears as though the subframe bent over half the rock, causing the vehicle to become wedged.

Becky Wise saw the incident unfold. She felt bad for the "poor chap" but said people watching on "found it very amusing". "The fire brigade turned up in blue lights, the coastguards and fire crew all took a good look round but I think they all concluded it wasn't going anywhere.

"It looked like the subframe had bent in half over the rock. Out came the bollard and tape and it was left for a recovery vehicle I assume. We all found it very amusing, poor chap."

https://i2-prod.cornwalllive.com/incoming/article8489951.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200e/1_LL_DCM20623-car-stuck.jpg

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kicnmkFgalU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31635&group=uk.rec.cycling#31635

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 26 Jul 2023 14:08:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 14:08 UTC

> Musician Noel Gallagher must pay more than £1,000 for failing to tell
> police who was driving his Range Rover.
>
> The 56-year-old former Oasis star, who cannot drive, was also handed six penalty points.
>
> He refused to give information relating to the identification of a driver
> when required by magistrates earlier this week.
>
> Gallagher's Range Rover was recorded speeding at 41mph on a 30mph stretch
> of the A40 in west London in October.
>
> The guitarist and songwriter's case was dealt with at Willesden
> Magistrates' Court on Wednesday. Under the Single Justice Procedure,
> Gallagher was not required to be present.
>
> He was fined £742 and told to pay a £296 victim surcharge plus £100
> costs, a court official confirmed.
>
> His manager declined to comment.

Who was the victim?

--
Spike

Re: Drivers and their problems

<1378361b-ff49-4ee5-8b1a-e24d93139d64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31639&group=uk.rec.cycling#31639

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 08:21:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 15:21 UTC

Visitors slam 'extortionate' parking charges at popular Devon beach (Wollacoombe- also 'won't return' klaxon)

The fees have received mixed reviews with one calling the trip a ‘waste of time’

User Charley M said the parking charge was extortionate. She commented on June 5: “Car parking… £10 for 1 hour?! We had no other choice but to pay it.

“Daylight robbery. We were taking little one for her first play in the sand, turns out she isn’t a beach babe! Otherwise we would have stayed longer. Should have gone to wales. Waste of time- won’t visit again.”

Another user, Kelvinjohn agreed that the parking charges were 'unacceptable'. They said: "Car parking charges have become extortionate and really are a rip off despite their contributions to RNLI and beach maintenance. Ten pounds to park a car for a day or an hour is unacceptable." (See picture of "unacceptable" charges.)

:-) https://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/IMG_4678..jpeg

Re: Drivers and their problems

<2dfc7457-bab8-410c-a8ec-77da967e873en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31647&group=uk.rec.cycling#31647

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 09:39:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:39 UTC

A man who refused to take an evidential breath test after being spotted driving erratically has been banned from driving for four years. Officers from Devon and Cornwall Police’s No Excuse team spotted Connor Dennison’s red BMW weaving across two lanes on the A390 between Treliske Hospital and Threemilestone in Truro on April 13.

Video footage from the unmarked police vehicle shows the moment officers pulled Dennison over after witnessing him driving erratically. Dennison was breathalysed at the roadside, where he gave a breath test of 78 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath – more than double the prescribed limit of 35 microgrammes.

However, when he was arrested and taken to Camborne police station to provide an evidential breath test, he refused and was subsequently charged with failing to provide a specimen for analysis. Dennison, aged 24 from Truro, appeared in court on Tuesday, June 13, where he pleaded guilty to the charge..

He was disqualified from driving for 48 months and given a 10-day community order with a rehabilitation requirement. The court also ordered Dennison to pay a £323 fine, £85 costs and a £114 victim surcharge.

Chief Inspector Ben Asprey, head of roads policing in Devon and Cornwall and chair of the Vision Zero South West tactical tasking group, said: “The substantial length of the driving ban in this case should act as a warning to others.
Dennison, aged 24 from Truro, was handed a 48 month driving ban and given a 10-day community order with a rehabilitation requirement.

“Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is one of the biggest causes of fatal and serious collisions, known as the ‘Fatal Five’. If you get behind the wheel after drinking or taking drugs, you are putting your own life – as well as the lives of innocent members of the public – at risk.

“We receive regular intelligence about roads being used by drink and drug drivers and coordinated our patrols to target these areas. Drink driving carries a mandatory driving ban of at least 12 months, which may lead to you losing your job, your livelihood and potentially much more. It’s just not worth it.”

So far this year, up to May 30, there have been 790 arrests for drink driving in Devon and Cornwall, with over 500 giving evidential tests that are over the prescribed limit. During the same period, 904 drivers have been tested for drugs (cocaine and cannabis) with 417 arrests made.

Re: Drivers and their problems

<kid181F2073U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31648&group=uk.rec.cycling#31648

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 17:51:12 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:51 UTC

> A spokesperson from Lancashire Police said: ‘As a responder, when you hear ‘car trapped under a lorry’, you prepare yourself for the worst.
>
> ‘This lorry was parked up in Rawtenstall with the driver soundly asleep in his cab when the Mercedes collided with the rear of it, becoming trapped underneath the tail mounted forklift.
>
> ‘Incredibly, the Mercedes driver suffered relatively minor injuries despite travelling at around 60mph (in a 40mph limit) when the collision occurred. He also passed all impairment tests.
>
> ‘The Mercedes driver has been reported to court for driving without due care and attention, driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance.’
>
> All of the comments about it are saying how lucky the driver was etc etc. Nothing about how f-ing stupid he was driving that fast and clearly not paying attention - on the whole, parked lorries are not difficult to spot...

Where have we heard of moving vehicles colliding with parked vehicles
before?

Oh yes...

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrKLGEOVRA>

and...