From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Eucryphia nymansensis 'nymansay' not flowering
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 10:54:11 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:54 UTC

Brought with me from a previous garden when about 6ft tall, where it
wasn't doing very well. Since planting it here about four years ago,
it's taken off like a rocket and has now at least doubled if not
tripled in height. It's in partial shade - gets sun in the mornings.
Two years ago it was covered in white flowers in late summer, as it
should be and it's why I have it in the first place. But the last two
years, barely a flower to be seen.

Since planting it, I have put a Clematis Etoile Violette near the base
and trained it up the trunk. It too is doing very well; I cut it hard
back every spring, and it gets up to probably 12ft and is a mass of
purple flowers. See https://ibb.co/pZ2X05v But ne're a white eucryphia
flower, which is a pity because I hoped that they'd contrast with the
purple clematis.

So how do I get my eucryphia to flower? Is it not flowering because
it's doing so well and doesn't feel stressed? Does it need some potash
feed? Or has the fact that it's absolutely smothered by the clematis
got something to do with it, cutting out the light or whatever?

TBH I'm not desperately worried - the clematis alone is fantastic and
attracts many compliments, but the two together would be even better.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.