If we do not change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

SubjectAuthor
* Non-glyphosate weedkillerJim The Geordie
+* Non-glyphosate weedkillerJeff Layman
|+* Non-glyphosate weedkillerBill Davy
||`- Non-glyphosate weedkillerJim the Geordie
|+* Non-glyphosate weedkillerMartin Brown
||`* Non-glyphosate weedkillerJeff Layman
|| `- Non-glyphosate weedkillerMartin Brown
|`- Non-glyphosate weedkillerSpike
`- Non-glyphosate weedkillerThe Natural Philosopher

1
Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<14hzidu0p2wh2$.1carmmpqhvw61$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3157&group=uk.rec.gardening#3157

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim The Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Non-glyphosate weedkiller
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 18:18:08 +0100
 by: Jim The Geordie - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 17:18 UTC

My local supermarket(s) appear to have stopped selling weedkiller with
glyphosate.
I only have a small paved yard with pots and am loath to make up from
concentrate so restricted to spray bottles.
Resolva with glyphosate was magic for weeds in cracks and sorted out
nextt-door's ivy no-problem.
The recent 24 hour weedol and resolva (sans-glyphosate) don't even cope
with tiddly weeds and the ivy ignores both..
Any readily available alternatives until a find a local shop wit a
glyphosate one?
--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<teb1tq$1h6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3158&group=uk.rec.gardening#3158

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 19:03:38 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 18:03 UTC

On 26/08/2022 18:18, Jim The Geordie wrote:
> My local supermarket(s) appear to have stopped selling weedkiller with
> glyphosate.
> I only have a small paved yard with pots and am loath to make up from
> concentrate so restricted to spray bottles.
> Resolva with glyphosate was magic for weeds in cracks and sorted out
> nextt-door's ivy no-problem.
> The recent 24 hour weedol and resolva (sans-glyphosate) don't even cope
> with tiddly weeds and the ivy ignores both..
> Any readily available alternatives until a find a local shop wit a
> glyphosate one?

Can you get to a garden centre? They are more likely to have
ready-to-use bottles of glyphosate. If they don't have them, get the
smallest bottle of glyphosate concentrate you can and use that diluted.
In my experience, glyphosate concentrate is stable for years.

You can always try the "lawn" weedkiller for broad-leaved weeds in lawns
on the weeds in cracks, but it won't work on grass.

I'm surprised you got glyphosate to work on ivy. I've had very little
success even after multiple spraying.

--

Jeff

Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<teb1uf$1hfq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3159&group=uk.rec.gardening#3159

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 19:03:59 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 18:03 UTC

On 26/08/2022 18:18, Jim The Geordie wrote:
> My local supermarket(s) appear to have stopped selling weedkiller with
> glyphosate.
> I only have a small paved yard with pots and am loath to make up from
> concentrate so restricted to spray bottles.
> Resolva with glyphosate was magic for weeds in cracks and sorted out
> nextt-door's ivy no-problem.
> The recent 24 hour weedol and resolva (sans-glyphosate) don't even cope
> with tiddly weeds and the ivy ignores both..
> Any readily available alternatives until a find a local shop wit a
> glyphosate one?

The stuff I (mistakenly) bought because it said

no GLYPHOSATE

had fumes so bad it nearly choked me, and left the weeds long as though
i'd poured sulphuric acid on them

I'd suggest buying online to get the pukka stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glyphosate-Weedkiller/s?k=Glyphosate+Weedkiller

Looks like Homebase does it too if you read the fine print on the back

https://www.homebase.co.uk/roundup-total-ready-to-use-pump-n-go-weedkiller-5l/12806798.html

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<jmu0jtF2hk4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3160&group=uk.rec.gardening#3160

From: Bill@XchelSys.co.uk (Bill Davy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 08:49:17 +0100
 by: Bill Davy - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 07:49 UTC

On 26/08/2022 19:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 26/08/2022 18:18, Jim The Geordie wrote:
>> My local supermarket(s) appear to have stopped selling weedkiller with
>> glyphosate.
>> I only have a small paved yard with pots and am loath to make up from
>> concentrate so restricted to spray bottles.
>> Resolva with glyphosate was magic for weeds in cracks and sorted out
>> nextt-door's ivy no-problem.
>> The recent 24 hour weedol and resolva (sans-glyphosate) don't even cope
>> with tiddly weeds and the ivy ignores both..
>> Any readily available alternatives until a find a local shop wit a
>> glyphosate one?
>
> Can you get to a garden centre? They are more likely to have
> ready-to-use bottles of glyphosate. If they don't have them, get the
> smallest bottle of glyphosate concentrate you can and use that diluted.
> In my experience, glyphosate concentrate is stable for years.
>
> You can always try the "lawn" weedkiller for broad-leaved weeds in lawns
> on the weeds in cracks, but it won't work on grass.
>
> I'm surprised you got glyphosate to work on ivy. I've had very little
> success even after multiple spraying.

Beat ivy with a besom. Satisfying and breaks down waxy coating allowing
poison in.

Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<tei432$1sh0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3161&group=uk.rec.gardening#3161

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:23:29 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:23 UTC

On 26/08/2022 19:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 26/08/2022 18:18, Jim The Geordie wrote:
>> My local supermarket(s) appear to have stopped selling weedkiller with
>> glyphosate.
>> I only have a small paved yard with pots and am loath to make up from
>> concentrate so restricted to spray bottles.
>> Resolva with glyphosate was magic for weeds in cracks and sorted out
>> nextt-door's ivy no-problem.
>> The recent 24 hour weedol and resolva (sans-glyphosate) don't even cope
>> with tiddly weeds and the ivy ignores both..
>> Any readily available alternatives until a find a local shop wit a
>> glyphosate one?
>
> Can you get to a garden centre? They are more likely to have
> ready-to-use bottles of glyphosate. If they don't have them, get the
> smallest bottle of glyphosate concentrate you can and use that diluted.
> In my experience, glyphosate concentrate is stable for years.

Indeed. A 1L concentrate bottle lasts me about 4 years.
I don't believe in paying over the odds for overpriced impure water.

If the OP isn't averse to ordering from Amazon then this is probably
what he wants:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weedol-Rootkill-Plus-Weedkiller-Litre/dp/B003KN5YNC/

> You can always try the "lawn" weedkiller for broad-leaved weeds in lawns
> on the weeds in cracks, but it won't work on grass.

That is now almost as hard to find. Damn things are all called Weedol too :(

> I'm surprised you got glyphosate to work on ivy. I've had very little
> success even after multiple spraying.

It doesn't. Ivy and holly seedlings are waxy enough to be pretty much
the only survivors when you spray off rough land to start cultivation.
The odd buttercup also survives too - I have no idea why that is.

SBK or something with a more aggressive wetting agent in will kill ivy
but then so will physical removal or cutting off its roots. I find
pulling it off in handfuls reasonably satisfying for modest amounts.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<teiego$132s2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3162&group=uk.rec.gardening#3162

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:21:28 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 13:21 UTC

On 29/08/2022 11:23, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 26/08/2022 19:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 26/08/2022 18:18, Jim The Geordie wrote:
>>> My local supermarket(s) appear to have stopped selling weedkiller with
>>> glyphosate.
>>> I only have a small paved yard with pots and am loath to make up from
>>> concentrate so restricted to spray bottles.
>>> Resolva with glyphosate was magic for weeds in cracks and sorted out
>>> nextt-door's ivy no-problem.
>>> The recent 24 hour weedol and resolva (sans-glyphosate) don't even cope
>>> with tiddly weeds and the ivy ignores both..
>>> Any readily available alternatives until a find a local shop wit a
>>> glyphosate one?
>>
>> Can you get to a garden centre? They are more likely to have
>> ready-to-use bottles of glyphosate. If they don't have them, get the
>> smallest bottle of glyphosate concentrate you can and use that diluted.
>> In my experience, glyphosate concentrate is stable for years.
>
> Indeed. A 1L concentrate bottle lasts me about 4 years.
> I don't believe in paying over the odds for overpriced impure water.
>
> If the OP isn't averse to ordering from Amazon then this is probably
> what he wants:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weedol-Rootkill-Plus-Weedkiller-Litre/dp/B003KN5YNC/

I wonder if the pyraflufen-ethyl makes much difference.

I tend to buy the 360g/l concentrate. I used to buy Wilko's own brand,
but I've only seen the 90g/l stuff there in the last year, so I bought
this a few months back (just in case the loonies try to get it banned
again!):
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FF1Y12R/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item>

--

Jeff

Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<jn42c7F1iehU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3163&group=uk.rec.gardening#3163

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 29 Aug 2022 14:56:08 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:56 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 26/08/2022 18:18, Jim The Geordie wrote:

>> My local supermarket(s) appear to have stopped selling weedkiller with
>> glyphosate.
>> I only have a small paved yard with pots and am loath to make up from
>> concentrate so restricted to spray bottles.
>> Resolva with glyphosate was magic for weeds in cracks and sorted out
>> nextt-door's ivy no-problem.
>> The recent 24 hour weedol and resolva (sans-glyphosate) don't even cope
>> with tiddly weeds and the ivy ignores both..
>> Any readily available alternatives until a find a local shop wit a
>> glyphosate one?

> Can you get to a garden centre? They are more likely to have
> ready-to-use bottles of glyphosate. If they don't have them, get the
> smallest bottle of glyphosate concentrate you can and use that diluted.
> In my experience, glyphosate concentrate is stable for years.

> You can always try the "lawn" weedkiller for broad-leaved weeds in lawns
> on the weeds in cracks, but it won't work on grass.

> I'm surprised you got glyphosate to work on ivy. I've had very little
> success even after multiple spraying.

I make up double-strength glyphosate from stump killer in a used trigger
pack, add two or three drops of washing-up detergent, mix gently to avoid
generating foam, replace the trigger/nozzle assembly, and zap ivy and
brambles with that.

Works a treat.

--
Spike

Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<teilrv$9ik$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3164&group=uk.rec.gardening#3164

From: '''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 16:26:54 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:26 UTC

On 29/08/2022 14:21, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 29/08/2022 11:23, Martin Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you get to a garden centre? They are more likely to have
>>> ready-to-use bottles of glyphosate. If they don't have them, get the
>>> smallest bottle of glyphosate concentrate you can and use that diluted.
>>> In my experience, glyphosate concentrate is stable for years.
>>
>> Indeed. A 1L concentrate bottle lasts me about 4 years.
>> I don't believe in paying over the odds for overpriced impure water.
>>
>> If the OP isn't averse to ordering from Amazon then this is probably
>> what he wants:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weedol-Rootkill-Plus-Weedkiller-Litre/dp/B003KN5YNC/
>>

> I wonder if the pyraflufen-ethyl makes much difference.

I suspect it is there to give instant feedback by making the top wilt.
Traditional glyphosate used correctly doesn't show any change for 7-14
days depending on the temperature and growing conditions.

> I tend to buy the 360g/l concentrate. I used to buy Wilko's own brand,
> but I've only seen the 90g/l stuff there in the last year, so I bought
> this a few months back (just in case the loonies try to get it banned
> again!):
> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FF1Y12R/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item>

I tend to buy whoever has the most active ingredient in for the least
price. Often that has been Wilkos own brand.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Non-glyphosate weedkiller

<MPG.3d76f7d2e04e38a9896b4@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3165&group=uk.rec.gardening#3165

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:21:16 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 16:21 UTC

In article <jmu0jtF2hk4U1@mid.individual.net>, Bill@XchelSys.co.uk
says...

> On 26/08/2022 19:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
> > On 26/08/2022 18:18, Jim The Geordie wrote:
> >> My local supermarket(s) appear to have stopped selling weedkiller with
> >> glyphosate.
> >> I only have a small paved yard with pots and am loath to make up from
> >> concentrate so restricted to spray bottles.
> >> Resolva with glyphosate was magic for weeds in cracks and sorted out
> >> nextt-door's ivy no-problem.
> >> The recent 24 hour weedol and resolva (sans-glyphosate) don't even cope
> >> with tiddly weeds and the ivy ignores both..
> >> Any readily available alternatives until a find a local shop wit a
> >> glyphosate one?
> >
> > Can you get to a garden centre? They are more likely to have
> > ready-to-use bottles of glyphosate. If they don't have them, get the
> > smallest bottle of glyphosate concentrate you can and use that diluted.
> > In my experience, glyphosate concentrate is stable for years.
> >
> > You can always try the "lawn" weedkiller for broad-leaved weeds in lawns
> > on the weeds in cracks, but it won't work on grass.
> >
> > I'm surprised you got glyphosate to work on ivy. I've had very little
> > success even after multiple spraying.
> >

> Beat ivy with a besom. Satisfying and breaks down waxy coating allowing
> poison in.

I know you're right, but there is a problem with that.
The ivy is on next-door's side of an 8 foot shared brick wall.
I suspect it started on my side, but I removed it (16 bin bags) when I
inherited the house. I annually use ladders and seceteurs(?) to keep it
from coming back, but my knees grumble at climbing ladders these days.
Glyphosate on new pale green growth in the spring waorks a treat, but
one the waxy leaves start then it is not effective. Hernce this mail.
Glyphosate kills the new growth without killing (next door's) ivy and
they probably don't know I've done it..
I have some brushwood killer, but afraid it might kill the whole lot
Did the ladder thing today and that should last the season out
Now you see the problem. :o)
--
Jim the Geordie