Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 01:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Girl on a bike "potentially seriously" injured in hit and run
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:31 UTC

A girl on a bike was treated for "potentially serious" injuries following a hit an run. Police later arrested a 16-year-old boy on suspicion of dangerous driver, possession of a weapon in a public place, theft of a motor vehicle and other vehicle offences.

The crash happened on the evening of Tuesday, July 25, in Yardley Wood Road, near Trittiford Road Moseley. It took place just an hour after another collision on the same street, near Wake Green Road.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) spokesperson told the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS) they were called to the scene at 6.10pm where "crews discovered a car and a cyclist had been involved in a collision". They added: "The cyclist, a female child, was treated by ambulance staff for potentially serious injuries and conveyed to Birmingham Children’s Hospital for further treatment.

"No-one else was injured." The earlier crash in Yardley Wood Road happened at around 4.20pm and involved two cars.

A WMAS spokesperson said: "One patient, a man, was treated for minor injuries but did not require hospital treatment and so was given self-care advice before being discharged at the scene." The incidents happened against a backdrop of rising public concern about road safety. Hundreds of protestors descended on Birmingham streets last month following a hit-and-run in Kings Heath which left a woman and a boy in hospital.

And this month residents of nearby Hayfield Road voiced their anger about years of dangerous driving and serious crashes, one involving a car hurtling through a fence and landing in a back garden. Another saw a teen passenger rushed to hospital with serious injuries after the driver collided with a tree.

Lib Dem councillor for Moseley, Izzy Knowles has been working with residents who are desperate for change. They said they are constantly nervous about the potential for further crashes, injuries, and deaths. Cllr Knowles said: "I am very shocked to hear of yet another serious collision where a child has been hurt on our roads.

"My heart goes out to the young person and their family. Police action days and council promises are all very well but we need to see much more consistent enforcement on a daily basis to make a real impact. We need to send the message that every driver has a huge responsibility for the safety of themselves and others."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/girl-bike-potentially-seriously-injured-27417641