From: News@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Best time to plant out Fuchsia cuttings? (Aberdeenshire)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 11:51:40 +0100
 by: Graeme - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 10:51 UTC

Early June this year, I brought home (to Aberdeenshire) five small
cuttings from Yorkshire. Not sure exactly which fuchsia, but a hardy
one, small red and purple flowers, seen everywhere.

All five were transported home in damp tissue then planted in 3 inch
clay pots, put in a porch and watered regularly. One did not take, but
the other four seem happy, and are now 6-7 inches tall. Whenever tiny
flowers formed, I removed them.

The question is, when is best to plant them outside? Now, or soon, or
keep them in the porch or elsewhere over winter, then plant outside next
spring?

Thanks.
--
Graeme

Re: Best time to plant out Fuchsia cuttings? (Aberdeenshire)

<tenfqh$1pv20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3180&group=uk.rec.gardening#3180

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:14:25 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 11:14 UTC

On 31/08/2022 11:51, Graeme wrote:

> Early June this year, I brought home (to Aberdeenshire) five small
> cuttings from Yorkshire. Not sure exactly which fuchsia, but a hardy
> one, small red and purple flowers, seen everywhere.
>
> All five were transported home in damp tissue then planted in 3 inch
> clay pots, put in a porch and watered regularly. One did not take, but
> the other four seem happy, and are now 6-7 inches tall. Whenever tiny
> flowers formed, I removed them.
>
> The question is, when is best to plant them outside? Now, or soon, or
> keep them in the porch or elsewhere over winter, then plant outside next
> spring?
>
> Thanks.

Small plants would be more susceptible to frost, so I would keep them
protected in winter, and plant out in spring. Although you appear to
have Fuchsia magellanica, which is reasonable hardy, Aberdeenshire is
not exactly known for clement weather in winter, and even that fuchsia
might suffer frost damage.

--

Jeff

Re: Best time to plant out Fuchsia cuttings? (Aberdeenshire)

<eurXmlAAlFEjFwml@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3181&group=uk.rec.gardening#3181

From: News@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 08:03:28 +0100
 by: Graeme - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 07:03 UTC

In message <tenfqh$1pv20$1@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
<Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 31/08/2022 11:51, Graeme wrote:

>> The question is, when is best to plant them outside?
>
>Small plants would be more susceptible to frost, so I would keep them
>protected in winter, and plant out in spring. Although you appear to
>have Fuchsia magellanica, which is reasonable hardy, Aberdeenshire is
>not exactly known for clement weather in winter, and even that fuchsia
>might suffer frost damage.

Excellent. Thank you Jeff. Looking at images, yes, I am sure the
cuttings are Fuchsia magellanica. Recent winters here have been
relatively mild, but that is no guarantee this one will follow suit so I
will keep the cuttings in the porch and plant outside next spring.
--
Graeme