(It is an old Debian tradition to leave at least twice a year ...) -- Sven Rudolph

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council plans to beef up traffic enforcement

SubjectAuthor
* Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council plans to beef upswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as councilSpike
`- Re: Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council plans to beefswldx...@gmail.com

1
Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council plans to beef up traffic enforcement

<f8b2b15f-7d63-4b6f-8d22-1fe77696429cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31872&group=uk.rec.cycling#31872

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 04:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council plans to beef up
traffic enforcement
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 11:54 UTC

Hull City Council is set to get new powers to stop traffic offences and is eyeing up a central junction to target, with people asked to have their say..

The authority is looking to use new powers to tackle illegal entry into yellow boxes in Ferensway, on the route into Paragon Interchange. Senior councillors say enforcement there and across the city would improve road safety, tackle congestion and shorten bus journeys.

A six-week consultation on the council being able to enforce moving traffic rules opened on Friday. It comes ahead of a council application to the Government to obtain enforcement powers.

Local highway authorities can apply to enforce rules including on waiting in box junctions and ignoring no-entry signs. At present, only the police have the power to tackle such offences in Hull.

If the Government approves the application, it will also mean that the authority will be able to enforce rules preventing banned turns and entry into pedestrian-restricted zones. The council also hopes the measures will help encourage more walking and cycling.

Officials are looking at using the powers to stop illegal entry into the yellow boxes from Brook Street, across Ferensway, leading into Hull Paragon Interchange's entrance route, Margaret Moxon Way. The council plans to put up more cameras to catch drivers illegally entering box junctions if the Government approves its application for enforcement powers.

However, some critics of council enforcement powers have warned that drivers could become "cash cows" if fined for offences such as entering yellow boxes. Simon Williams, a spokesman for the RAC, told the This Is Money financial website: "In some cases, we believe enforcement may actually increase congestion as a result of drivers hesitating before moving for fear of being fined."

Cllr Mark Ieronimo, Hull's Transport Portfolio Holder, said he would highly encourage people to take part in the consultation. "The council is currently in the process of applying for the powers to enforce moving traffic contraventions across the city," he added.

"These powers could help in many ways, such as tackling congestion and helping traffic flow, improving road safety for pedestrians and cyclists, and shortening journey times for public transport. This consultation is a fantastic opportunity for residents to express their views on the moving traffic enforcement powers."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/hulls-yellow-box-hoggers-face-8637539

Re: Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council plans to beef up traffic enforcement

<kisaucFhbnvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31874&group=uk.rec.cycling#31874

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council
plans to beef up traffic enforcement
Date: 1 Aug 2023 12:08:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:08 UTC

Great news…it’s high time that bicyclists were cracked down on.

I’ll enjoy participating in the consultation.

--
Spike

Re: Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council plans to beef up traffic enforcement

<f8abe581-8fc9-404e-8d96-fdb8f36519f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31875&group=uk.rec.cycling#31875

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 07:40:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Hull's yellow-box hoggers face crackdown as council plans to beef
up traffic enforcement
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 14:40 UTC

QUOTE: "These powers could help in many ways, such as tackling congestion and helping traffic flow, improving road safety for pedestrians and cyclists, and shortening journey times for public transport. ENDS

Yes - cracking down on the morons who encroach into bike ASLs was long overdue.
More of this please.